blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 1074 1075 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2192009 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16050 on: January 06, 2019, 09:18:23 AM »

Labour is 6 points behind a Government openly toying with inflicting food and drug shortages on its own population.

CON: 40% (-1)
LAB: 34% (-5)
LDEM: 10% (+3)
GRN: 4% (-)
UKIP: 4% (+1)

via YouGov, 21 Dec - 04 Jan
Chgs. w/ 17 Dec

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16051 on: January 06, 2019, 09:19:12 AM »

Peston

"Ministers tell me that may will lose the meaningful vote on Brexit in ten days but that none of them have a clue what she will do then. This is serious"

https://www.facebook.com/1498276767163730/posts/2248533055471427/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16052 on: January 06, 2019, 09:19:55 AM »

He says PM's unable to choose between no-deal Brexit and a referendum, but she must have a preference

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16053 on: January 06, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »

New YouGov poll of 25,000 people: Labour would suffer a worse election defeat than it did under Michael Foot if it enables Brexit. Labour support would plummet to 26% if Jeremy Corbyn tells his MPs to back Theresa May’s Brexit deal, the poll says.

Meanwhile this finding from the poll suggests Theresa May’s *entire* central premise for the way she has pursued her brexit negotiation - immigration control prioritised over  trade - doesn’t have overwhelming public support

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16054 on: January 06, 2019, 09:21:23 AM »

YouGov poll:

In a new in-out referendum, Brits would vote to stay in the EU by 54% to 46%.

In a choice between Remain and May’s deal, Remain would win by 63% to 37%.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16055 on: January 06, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »

Riverford are devon farmers

https://twitter.com/Riverford/status/1081479238522466309

"It'd be the worst time: late April/May is the hungry gap, when the winter crops have finished & summer crops aren't yet ready. We have so little ready to harvest that we have to temporarily stop our UK Only veg box, because we often don't have 8 British vegetables to fill it with"

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16056 on: January 06, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »

No-deal Brexit would be catastrophic for UK farmers, warns NFU

(as does Gove,pace his speech last week(

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/04/no-deal-brexit-would-be-catastrophic-uk-farmers-warns-nfu

My eyes are open wide
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16057 on: January 06, 2019, 10:09:51 AM »

PS - I think it's pretty disappointing to see that this topic has mainly come to people posting links. Can we not engge without the help of other peoples opinions, if not, then what's the point of this forum?

Aaron has totally missed the point here, it's the links that promote the discussion plus the fact that I/we would miss loads of interesting stuff without them.

Keep posting Rich.

The older I get, the better I was.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16058 on: January 06, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »

PS - I think it's pretty disappointing to see that this topic has mainly come to people posting links. Can we not engge without the help of other peoples opinions, if not, then what's the point of this forum?

Aaron has totally missed the point here, it's the links that promote the discussion plus the fact that I/we would miss loads of interesting stuff without them.

Keep posting Rich.

+1 big big part of the thread, I love to see what Rich has been reading
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #16059 on: January 06, 2019, 10:25:00 AM »

A government openly inflicting food shortages on the country??

Come now.

The inability of Remain to recognise what terminology like this really means prevents meaningful debate. Classic project fear. Some reduction in choice some increase in price perhaps. But a shortage of FOOD means people could starve to death. Such irrational, panic stricken, weak, slovenly rhetoric. Fodder for the EU negotiation position.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16060 on: January 06, 2019, 10:49:22 AM »

Come now.

The inability of Remain to recognise what terminology like this really means prevents meaningful debate. Classic project fear. Some reduction in choice some increase in price perhaps. But a shortage of FOOD means people could starve to death. Such irrational, panic stricken, weak, slovenly rhetoric. Fodder for the EU negotiation position.

The EU are going to be so pleased that Tighty posted that sentence?  and all that happens because of that sentence? The butterfly effect is real.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16061 on: January 06, 2019, 11:23:13 AM »

Summary of May on Marr:

1. She has little new to offer on the Brexit deal after the 3 week delay
2. She refused to rule out implementing either a 2nd referendum or A50 extension
3. She can’t say she’ll be PM for years more not just months.
4 No one knows what route she will go if she can't get the deal through the commons, though the hint was no deal not second ref.

(It’s going to be a long year)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16062 on: January 06, 2019, 11:36:51 AM »

Come now.

I don't think there is any condescending "come now" about it and at no point did i mention people starving to death. that's just lazily putting your own exaggerations onto my words

should the deal not get through parliament and the government then choose to go "no deal" (unless parliament finds a mechanism to stop it) rather than second ref, delay A50, revoke A50..whatever the option to delay leaving on those terms is

then the government will be voluntarily inflicting economic hardship to industry (affecting tax receipts, pension values etc etc), food shortages to consumers, lots more unemployment etc

Of course the government can "scorch earth" via big reductions in corporation tax, investment incentives etc to mitigate the impact no deal has but that has consequences down the line (higher deficit, higher borrowing costs, austerity etc)

I do think that many laymen still think no deal = status quo and get quite dogmatic about our place in the world.

I don't think we, myself included, really adequately discount well enough how tough it is going to be. Many people wouldn't be quite so sanguine about it if they did
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:39:11 AM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #16063 on: January 06, 2019, 12:31:37 PM »

Won’t be the first time a government has inflicted hardship on us, although it is the first time we’ve specifically voted to give them the authority to do it {tongue in cheek smiley}?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #16064 on: January 06, 2019, 02:19:29 PM »

Keep posting Rich.

+1 big big part of the thread, I love to see what Rich has been reading

+1

Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 1074 1075 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: