blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1147 1148 1149 1150 [1151] 1152 1153 1154 1155 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180225 times)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17250 on: May 14, 2019, 11:57:49 AM »

Quite depressing to see footage of Farage and Anne Widdicombe being loudly cheered in a Featherstone Working Men's Club yesterday.

I went to high school in Featherstone, and it's a typical ex-mining community like many others around it.  The fact that you can get a prominent ex-Tory MP being loudly cheered there shows just how much Brexit has twisted the traditional political alignments around the two big parties.  Farage is a magician in managing to align himself as a 'man of the common people' when his background shows him to be anything but this.  It's an astonishing thing to witness now, but will look even more incredible in 20 years + time when history looks back on it more dispassionately.

Even more depressing is the fact that Yvette Cooper has become a local hate figure that these audiences rally around too (shouts of 'traitor' at the meeting when her name was mentioned.  One of the most effective and credible Labour MPs still in office, but essentially a pantomime villain within her constituency among the pro-Brexit crowd.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17251 on: May 14, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »

Briget Prentice's resignation letter from the Labour Party is the best written one of the many I've seen recently.  It's very hard to find anything to disagree with in this.

https://twitter.com/BridgetPrentice/status/1128212203302211584

It’s very reasonable and well written, on a subject where few people seem able to be reasonable. I fully understand her concerns and share some of them.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #17252 on: May 14, 2019, 11:24:13 PM »

Just returning to the HS2 debate, this was today’s Press Release in support of what will probably may turn out to be the worst infrastructure project this country has attempted.

Bearing in mind that recent reports suggest that the lines beyond Birmingham may never be built, and that the northern sections are scheduled to be complete in 2032/3, it is beyond parody that they are piggybacking on Cup Final weekend while they cav

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/football-fans-score-extra-time-with-hs2

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #17253 on: May 16, 2019, 08:43:32 AM »

I would be interested to know from the faithful thread readers

Are you intending to vote in the Euros?

I voted, wanted to vote for a remain party and did so but the vote is going to be split LD, change, green etc

If you are a Brexit party person is a perfect storm, simple message that appeals to many non political people, you may be holding an "anti politics" grudge anyway

they are going to crush

Currently favourites for the Peterborough By-election too

Voted Green, despite lead candidate for Labour in my area making pro Remain noises the Labour position seems the worst of all worlds in this election.

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17254 on: May 16, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »

Those election ads in full

Private Eye

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17255 on: May 16, 2019, 02:25:23 PM »

out in the autumn, in time for your christmas presents

rejected titles?

"good by comparison"

"i fucked off to my shed"

"Getting the bacon"

"Referendums and me"

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17256 on: May 16, 2019, 02:29:14 PM »

"Both Labour and the Tories have gone awol on Brexit"

"One party insists Brexit is a distraction, the other is fixated on a leadership contest. But for the voters there is no exit hatch"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/12/labour-tories-brexit-jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17257 on: May 16, 2019, 02:31:17 PM »

Another paradox

Attempts to smear The Brexit Party as "far right" and the "gotcha" focus on Farage's record are simply not going to dent the party's support, because what drives it is a singular concern for democracy, not agreement with Farage's personal views.

but

No Deal Brexit - which is the Brexit party’s only policy - has no democratic mandate and is the least popular option with the electorate in a wide range of polling.

It would imperil the Good Friday Agreement, which won an overwhelming democratic mandate.

The pickle we are in continues

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17258 on: May 16, 2019, 02:33:16 PM »

If "no deal" was an option in 2016 as some claim (it wasn't), why did it not become a recognised Google search term until 2018?

in fact none of the 'no deal' 'WTO' brexit terms appeared until the end of 2018.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17259 on: May 16, 2019, 03:15:44 PM »

As Boris announces he is standing next time

the implication of the agreement btw Brady + May - if 2nd reading passes, PM stays on to fight next stages through Commons, in hope that we leave EU before recess,

if it fails, which at this stage is a LOT more likely, she's gone, contest over summer, new PM at Tory conf

according to laurak

--

so

1  We can waste the entirety of the Article 50 extension on a Tory bloodbath and then come up smiling in October to ask for another one. Good times.

2 The Tory bloodbath will be a competition to see who can sound toughest on Brexit for the membership. They'll then become leader, face the same choice May did, and buckle in the same way. And then we can begin again.

3 (i think as times goes on its looks less and less likely we leave)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17260 on: May 16, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »

interesting chart seen this week

- over last 50 years we have become gone from most incomes fairly similar to being richer much more varied - less homogenous. Harder to govern. Society with indivuduals with less in comon than previously

My eyes are open wide
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17261 on: May 16, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »

the implication of the agreement btw Brady + May - if 2nd reading passes, PM stays on to fight next stages through Commons, in hope that we leave EU before recess,

if it fails, which at this stage is a LOT more likely, she's gone, contest over summer, new PM at Tory conf

according to laurak

--

so

1  We can waste the entirety of the Article 50 extension on a Tory bloodbath and then come up smiling in October to ask for another one. Good times.

2 The Tory bloodbath will be a competition to see who can sound toughest on Brexit for the membership. They'll then become leader, face the same choice May did, and buckle in the same way. And then we can begin again.

One ridiculous aspect of not leaving will be the prospect of a reasonably high number of Brexit Party MEPs enjoying the gravy in Brussels while not having to contribute anything of any value at all. Just stand up and shout bollocks now and then - pretty toasty life

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #17262 on: May 16, 2019, 06:20:37 PM »

according to laurak

--

so

One ridiculous aspect of not leaving will be the prospect of a reasonably high number of Brexit Party MEPs enjoying the gravy in Brussels while not having to contribute anything of any value at all. Just stand up and shout bollocks now and then - pretty toasty life

Isn't that what our lot do over here anyway?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17263 on: May 16, 2019, 07:54:33 PM »

It's a tough life.

Big Channel 4 story - Arron Banks allegedly gave Nigel Farage nearly half a million quid to pay for a house in Chelsea, furniture, a car with a driver, and lavish trips to the US https://t.co/blHkdh6g1b

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17264 on: May 16, 2019, 08:10:05 PM »

Brexit political mess a 'crushing disaster' for UK business – CBI chief https://t.co/fLRgCJ1lpW

Well, yes

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 1147 1148 1149 1150 [1151] 1152 1153 1154 1155 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: