blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:14:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1312 1313 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 1319 1320 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180488 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19725 on: August 14, 2019, 10:02:36 AM »

The Telegraph poll yesterday claiming a majority of the public supports suspending parliament:

Worrying

The clever people at FullFact.org who are worth following analysed this, with some interesting observations on the way the question was worded, likely to have led some people into agreeing with the statement.

https://fullfact.org/europe/telegraph-suspending-parliament/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #19726 on: August 14, 2019, 10:18:08 AM »

Sorry, should have added some commentary.

Like many foreign contractors, when things aren't going so well in their own country, BB have gone abroad to keep the good times rolling.

Unlike the wah wash, they have got off their backsides, stop moaning and got on with it. there is a big world outside the EU.....apparently.....

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19727 on: August 14, 2019, 10:39:17 AM »

It's time for the author of the referendum to explain that respecting its outcome doesn’t have to mean disrespecting the fundamental importance of parliament, says James Kirkup

(link: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/its-time-david-cameron-returned-to-fix-his-brexit-mess/)

One man got to decide? But parliament decided they didn’t want the WA so who watches over them?

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19728 on: August 14, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »

Well done to BB. Just as well they are doing well overseas. Very well established well run company

As you imply the UK Construction outlook has some problems

28% of London construction workers migrate from EU countries. migrant workers will be stripped of their right to free movement and, subsequently, their automatic right to work in the UK.

With the supply of labour likely to be unable to meet its demand, it’s very likely there will be a knock-on effect, with house builders unable to meet government housing targets. Consequently, this would see a rise in house prices and project costs.

DB&I says that almost two thirds of building materials are imported from Europe, limits on quantities of imported materials post-Brexit could be disastrous for the construction industry

The UK currently benefits from €7.8bn worth of investments in major infrastructure projects from the European Investment Bank and the European Investment Fund. In addition to this, these institutions lend over €500m to British SMEs every year.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19729 on: August 14, 2019, 10:41:52 AM »

Last month’s Chancellor of the Exchequer writing to the current PM asking him to take action to “reassure the currency markets” after recent sterling slides on rising chance of No Deal - alongside 20 other MPs, mainly former ministers.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19730 on: August 14, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »

It's time for the author of the referendum to explain that respecting its outcome doesn’t have to mean disrespecting the fundamental importance of parliament, says James Kirkup

(link: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/its-time-david-cameron-returned-to-fix-his-brexit-mess/)

One man got to decide? But parliament decided they didn’t want the WA so who watches over them?

we get the chance at a GE to decide on who should form our parliament, at a constituency level and then in aggregate at party level

The referendum was advisory (never effectively marketed as such by the remain campaign of course, complacently), since when it has been treated as overwhelming gospel

We currently have a stand off between Parliamentary democracy and direct democracy but the former supercedes the latter.

My eyes are open wide
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #19731 on: August 14, 2019, 11:37:58 AM »

we get the chance at a GE to decide on who should form our parliament, at a constituency level and then in aggregate at party level

The referendum was advisory (never effectively marketed as such by the remain campaign of course, complacently), since when it has been treated as overwhelming gospel

We currently have a stand off between Parliamentary democracy and direct democracy but the former supercedes the latter.

Surely the time for reinforcing the point that the referendum was advisory was June 2016?

Maybe we can finally put this man in the stocks and throw rotten fruit at him. He was the one who really should have been ensuring that the ‘advisoriness’ of the referendum was clearly understood. Imagine the strength we would have had in going back to the EU to negotiate had that been the case.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19732 on: August 14, 2019, 11:46:41 AM »

This is good and neatly summarises the underlying debate in the September battle ahead between those who believe Parliament is the ultimate law maker and those who suggest the referendum has to be respected no matter what, even if there is no prospect of a deal

On those battles the outcome on Oct 31st depends, and no idea what will happen yet.

https://fullfact.org/europe/was-eu-referendum-advisory/

My eyes are open wide
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19733 on: August 14, 2019, 12:07:01 PM »

We get a GE and elect those who profess to represent our interests

Opposition parties and all the current Brexit objectors didn’t honour their duties with their complacent, ineffectual representation pre-referendum

Then when presented with WA they once again failed to execute their duties of representation voting self interest, party interest instead

Now these same folk say it’s Boris’s Brexit and he’s failing to execute his duty to represent the interests of people and needs to be watched over.

In fact that collectively poor representation and subsequent division has ownership over Brexit imo, it is their Brexit
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:08:44 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19734 on: August 14, 2019, 12:19:09 PM »

I don't disagree. I would have voted the WA through, and if Parliament had done so we'd be out now

the fault for that lies with the hard leavers (i would argue, primarily) and the hard remainers in parliament plus the Labour party voting not along national interest but party lines (we want an election).

we are where we are now, and i would take anything over no deal.

I would prefer to honour the referendum result and leave in an ideal world (but we are about as far from an ideal world as Ikea with kids on a sunday afternoon), but not if its no deal.

I would prefer revoke to that

My eyes are open wide
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #19735 on: August 14, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »

Well done to BB. Just as well they are doing well overseas. Very well established well run company

28% of London construction workers migrate from EU countries. migrant workers will be stripped of their right to free movement and, subsequently, their automatic right to work in the UK.

With the supply of labour likely to be unable to meet its demand, it’s very likely there will be a knock-on effect, with house builders unable to meet government housing targets. Consequently, this would see a rise in house prices and project costs.

DB&I says that almost two thirds of building materials are imported from Europe, limits on quantities of imported materials post-Brexit could be disastrous for the construction industry

The UK currently benefits from €7.8bn worth of investments in major infrastructure projects from the European Investment Bank and the European Investment Fund. In addition to this, these institutions lend over €500m to British SMEs every year.

Well researched, however, its not always as black and white as it seems, and we are a resourceful lot.

The Aberdeen ring road, for instance was at  first to completed by using materials from abroad, but in the end, to keep costs down, local granite was used(not the usual materials used in such projects, but it was found to be an able substitute and a lot cheaper by sourcing closer to home).

I'm not sure what the saying is off the top of my head, but in hard times, solutions are found by resourceful people....we are without doubt a resourceful nation

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19736 on: August 14, 2019, 12:54:29 PM »

Well researched, however, its not always as black and white as it seems, and we are a resourceful lot.

The Aberdeen ring road, for instance was at  first to completed by using materials from abroad, but in the end, to keep costs down, local granite was used(not the usual materials used in such projects, but it was found to be an able substitute and a lot cheaper by sourcing closer to home).

I'm not sure what the saying is off the top of my head, but in hard times, solutions are found by resourceful people....we are without doubt a resourceful nation

Great news that BB are finding a way to continue be successful. To knowingly/willingly inflict hard times on ourselves is an extraordinary situation.
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19737 on: August 14, 2019, 12:58:37 PM »

I don't disagree. I would have voted the WA through, and if Parliament had done so we'd be out now

the fault for that lies with the hard leavers (i would argue, primarily) and the hard remainers in parliament plus the Labour party voting not along national interest but party lines (we want an election).

we are where we are now, and i would take anything over no deal.

I would prefer to honour the referendum result and leave in an ideal world (but we are about as far from an ideal world as Ikea with kids on a sunday afternoon), but not if its no deal.

I would prefer revoke to that

For sure it’s been a frustrating process for you and fellow Remain supporters

But check out that phrase “I would take anything over no deal”

Rewind to 3yrs ago as we enter negotiations for a smooth Brexit me & fellow Leave supporters said our leverage would evaporate with the division. EU knew this. Boris playing a stone cold bluff is the only card left and still it continues. How frustrating. Now your only card is undermining democracy.

MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19738 on: August 14, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »

Great news that BB are finding a way to continue be successful. To knowingly/willingly inflict hard times on ourselves is an extraordinary situation.

Great news that EU are finding a way to continue to uphold their principles. To knowingly/willingly inflict hard times on themselves, particularly the Irish, is an extraordinary situation

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #19739 on: August 14, 2019, 01:11:57 PM »

Your overuse of emotive words loses its impact after a while.......

Have we ever established how much money we save and can thus inwardly invest by not being in the EU? Pretty sure it must be more out than back in, or the little countries wouldn't benefit, or join?  Someone has to be the loser in all this? I suspect we are one of those....

Pages: 1 ... 1312 1313 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 1319 1320 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: