blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:40:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1325 1326 1327 1328 [1329] 1330 1331 1332 1333 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180213 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19920 on: August 21, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »

It's a good point Adz. Hamburg will suffer most in Germany when we analyse the per head of population economic implications. Yet there appears to be a resolve that whatever challenges are encountered they will be dealt with. There aren't any outbursts in the press, demonstrations, interference in politics or demands for leadership change all designed to force an agreement.

There is no doubt our EU 'friends and partners' have framed the argument from the start to influence mentality. I was reading a piece in The Times by Sir Peter Marshall who rightly observes "they regarded our leaving as an existential threat to the EU”. So to combat this threat they have influenced the perception of what's happening by painting us as the sinners and them as the righteous. He says "our partners have managed to establish around themselves an aura of injured innocence, and around us an aura of moral delinquency". When in fact their approach to negotiations have shown "sustained bad faith", remember Maybot becoming almost tearful about their lack of respect?

Of course our friends in the Remain camp have fallen for this ruse hook, line and sinker and in so doing added credibility to this fairy-tale “Vociferous, none-too-scrupulous Remainer campaigning on this side of the Channel has been of great assistance to the EU". This has enabled the manipulation to continue but the reality is that we are all going to suffer (yep the EU happy to point out we will suffer more, nice touch). So Boris writes a letter asking for negotiation to make inroads and he's snap batted away with this negative rhetoric of being a deceiver, wanting hard borders, the outlaw. Lots of people will suffer, Boris reaches out, Tusk swings on his hammock looking smug & dishing out the insults via twitter.

I retain high hopes that Merkel will be more conciliatory. Now that the seemingly invincible German economy faces the real prospect of recession it's time for two powerful partners to grow up and talk business. The time for swinging in the hammock looking smug is over isn't it? 

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #19921 on: August 21, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »

I get that you have had 3 years of hurt feelings, but what exactly is wrong with the withdrawal agreement? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #19922 on: August 21, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »

First they were telling us how to perform stop and search, now they are messing with the handball rule

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/21/eu-to-blame-football-new-handball-rule-ian-holloway

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19923 on: August 21, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »

I get that you have had 3 years of hurt feelings, but what exactly is wrong with the withdrawal agreement? 

Other than it’s been rejected three times. And the EU approach is tough luck.

The backstop depends upon mutual agreement. A big red flag for me. The last 3 years have taught us that we cannot mutually agree anything with EU. They do not exist to smooth our transition out of the union. I think enshrining in law EU agreement to our future proposals invites catastrophic risk. In fact there would be a number of collaborative areas ultimately decided in EU courts. We can’t collaborate with EU though, clearly.

As we enter economic misery the EU imposed competition laws would limit new trade possibilities. This doesn’t offer the competitive freedom I would encourage. EU saying this is our business and even though you aren’t involved you don’t get a say in how you conduct your business is unpalatable imo. EU imposed tax laws stop us investigating new systems to attract corporate investment

justice and fisheries also too much interference. For some reason fisheries is something that makes me very cross but don’t really know why

Overall and breaking it down I just think there’s simply too much poking their beaks in our business

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #19924 on: August 21, 2019, 02:08:37 PM »

Boris off to Hamburg today where we do miliions of £s of trading.

In a BBC interview(so I am wary of the people selected), local Hamburg traders, were stating the EU had done enough to help the UK in negotiations(not sure what they have done to make these people feel this way, the people I speak to abroad, are sorry to see us go, but understand it, and feel we have been harshly treated-hence my initial concern over the impartiality of those interviewed).

However, what was clear was that the Hamburg folk interviewed were going to have to put up prices, go through a real tough time adjusting,and still have to put up with the demands of the EU.

I may well have been wrong(with this small cross section at least) about how those losing our trade will feel, but on the other side, they are looking to face tough times and are facing it with a positive attitude, none of your wah wah attitude we see from so many, who can't rise to the challenge, as they seem able to do.

You've been saying that remainers are project fear, but you're talking about this loss of trade. If we go out with no deal, Germany and other countries aren't sudden;y going to stop trading with us all together, but there is going to be a huge impact ofc.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #19925 on: August 21, 2019, 02:46:20 PM »

Boris off to Hamburg today where we do miliions of £s of trading.

In a BBC interview(so I am wary of the people selected), local Hamburg traders, were stating the EU had done enough to help the UK in negotiations(not sure what they have done to make these people feel this way, the people I speak to abroad, are sorry to see us go, but understand it, and feel we have been harshly treated-hence my initial concern over the impartiality of those interviewed).

However, what was clear was that the Hamburg folk interviewed were going to have to put up prices, go through a real tough time adjusting,and still have to put up with the demands of the EU.

I may well have been wrong(with this small cross section at least) about how those losing our trade will feel, but on the other side, they are looking to face tough times and are facing it with a positive attitude, none of your wah wah attitude we see from so many, who can't rise to the challenge, as they seem able to do.

You've been saying that remainers are project fear, but you're talking about this loss of trade. If we go out with no deal, Germany and other countries aren't sudden;y going to stop trading with us all together, but there is going to be a huge impact ofc.

Thank you for adding nothing, but just rewording all I have said here or in the past.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19926 on: August 22, 2019, 10:11:05 AM »

https://news.sky.com/story/thursdays-national-newspaper-front-pages-11790879

It must be close to the record for the British media misrepresenting a situation across the board. All Merkel did was reiterate what the backstop is, no suggestion of renegotiating the WA, no suggestion anything about the backstop would change.

What actually happened:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3tM81Ikjd40

It’s an interesting double edged sword now for Boris. He can’t achieve anything regarding the border in 30 days so it’s an unnecessary hurdle which will come at a bad time. On the other side due to the way it’s been misrepresented, it might have left him in a stronger position for the no confidence vote.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19927 on: August 22, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »

Here is the letter sent by the US Congressional Friends of Ireland Caucus to Johnson warning that it will oppose any US-UK trade deal if the Good Friday Agreement is undermined. It’s the latest Brexit warning to come from the US Congress.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19928 on: August 22, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »

The Berlin press conference in short:

Merkel gives Johnson 30 days to come up with a detailed workable alternative to the backstop.

He accepts the challenge. (huge longshot surely)

So all eyes on September 21, the opening day of Labour conference.

will Boris be the 3rd British PM in 3 years to put his hopes in Angela Merkel to no avail? We'll know one month from today.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19929 on: August 22, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »

no one ever seems to ask the people of NI, who, lest we forget, voted against Brexit.

So how about this for democratic?

Change the backstop to a NI only arrangement and make it an option the people of NI can vote on at the end of transition.

To do that Boris needs a parliamentary majority and not to be in hock to the DUP, who i think are hardline opposers of such an arragement

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19930 on: August 22, 2019, 10:45:45 AM »

The stand-off over the backstop is as much about who gains control of the Brexit narrative as it is about the issue itself

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/no-10-hits-back-in-the-backstop-blame-game/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19931 on: August 22, 2019, 10:50:47 AM »

Voting intention among Remain voters and Leave voters since the 2017 general election.

Shows quite how much the 2019 EU elections changed the political landscape, and also why Boris Johnson and the Tories are best placed if an early election is called

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/21/boris-can-win-only-going-after-brexit-party-voters

Superbly represented on this image

My eyes are open wide
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19932 on: August 22, 2019, 11:52:48 AM »

On the subject of misrepresentation of the Bojo/Merkel press conference and the fact Merkel “gave Boris 30 days” etc

Just interesting to point out Merkel is not the EU negotiator. Speaking for the 27 probably not in her remit like and highlights the George Orwell all equals quote. If leader of minor member steps up with this rhetoric it’d be wtf??

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #19933 on: August 22, 2019, 12:05:45 PM »

rofl it wasn't a negotiation, it was a trap for johnson who has to now come up with something that isn't laughable.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19934 on: August 22, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »

On the subject of misrepresentation of the Bojo/Merkel press conference and the fact Merkel “gave Boris 30 days” etc

Just interesting to point out Merkel is not the EU negotiator. Speaking for the 27 probably not in her remit like and highlights the George Orwell all equals quote. If leader of minor member steps up with this rhetoric it’d be wtf??

This is the point though, Merkel didn’t suggest anything had changed at all (unless there’s a mistranslation). We can listen to every word:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BqxVl-KjZi4
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:13:50 PM by kukushkin88 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1325 1326 1327 1328 [1329] 1330 1331 1332 1333 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: