blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:03:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1328 1329 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 1335 1336 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180561 times)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19965 on: August 23, 2019, 09:01:24 AM »

Good morning,

Seems to now be some sanity on the phantom 30 day deadline:

https://www.ft.com/content/1758aee0-c4e7-11e9-a8e9-296ca66511c9

It doesn’t exist, no matter how much Boris and The Telegraph want it to.

Cliffs: The backstop stays until the border problem is resolved, it might take 2 years, it might take 3 years, it might take 30 days, it might take until Oct 31st 2019.

Or any and every other date, of course.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #19966 on: August 23, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »

Good morning,

Seems to now be some sanity on the phantom 30 day deadline:

https://www.ft.com/content/1758aee0-c4e7-11e9-a8e9-296ca66511c9

It doesn’t exist, no matter how much Boris and The Telegraph want it to.

Cliffs: The backstop stays until the border problem is resolved, it might take 2 years, it might take 3 years, it might take 30 days, it might take until Oct 31st 2019.

It has a paywall so not a lot of use.

However, in broader terms, it is still the words of a paper you chose to follow, what makes it any more robust than the words of the other paper?

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19967 on: August 23, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »

tbf it’s prob worth paying the subscription for insider wizard info such as “it might take 2 years, it might take 3 years, it might take 30 days, it might take until Oct 31st”

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19968 on: August 23, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »

tbf it’s prob worth paying the subscription for insider wizard info such as “it might take 2 years, it might take 3 years, it might take 30 days, it might take until Oct 31st”

Paying for the FT subscription would be an excellent idea for everyone. All of those potential timescales were put forward by Merkel in the last 48 hours.

(I don’t think that article is behind the paywall)
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #19969 on: August 23, 2019, 10:04:29 AM »

Paying for the FT subscription would be an excellent idea for everyone. All of those potential timescales were put forward by Merkel in the last 48 hours.

Why would the FT subscription be such an excellent idea? What makes it more valid than the Guardian say,  or dare I say it, The Telegraph.

The article you linked to is behind the paywall btw.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19970 on: August 23, 2019, 11:02:16 AM »

Why would the FT subscription be such an excellent idea? What makes it more valid than the Guardian say,  or dare I say it, The Telegraph.

I guess it just comes down to integrity and lack of political bias. A simple way to think of it for me is that a newspaper shouldn’t be pro or anti Brexit.

Look at the front pages every day at the moment, they can’t all be telling the truth, so who is lying and why? The Telegraph unfortunately has become a joke with its extreme pro-Boris agenda, as recently as ~4 years ago it was still a serious newspaper. The Guardian has a left and anti Brexit bias and would be better off without it (they do make some effort to separate news from opinion).

I will note every time the headline on the front of The Telegraph or Guardian is provably and wilfully (when we can additionally prove that they know they are lying) untrue.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19971 on: August 23, 2019, 11:07:42 AM »

I guess it just comes down to integrity and lack of political bias. A simple way to think of it for me is that a newspaper shouldn’t be pro or anti Brexit.

Look at the front pages every day at the moment, they can’t all be telling the truth, so who is lying and why? The Telegraph unfortunately has become a joke with its extreme pro-Boris agenda, as recently as ~4 years ago it was still a serious newspaper. The Guardian has a left and anti Brexit bias and would be better off without it (they do make some effort to separate news from opinion).

I will note every time the headline on the front of The Telegraph or Guardian is provably and wilfully (when we can additionally prove that they know they are lying) untrue.

Unfortunately Ku, all newspapers are pro whatever sells more newspapers.

The older I get, the better I was.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19972 on: August 23, 2019, 11:17:38 AM »

Unfortunately Ku, all newspapers are pro whatever sells more newspapers.

The FT argue, quite credibly imo, that they aren’t.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/opinion/the-financial-times-will-be-in-good-hands.amp.html

Their own explanation is behind the paywall......

You’re are mostly right though I’m sure, the 30 days nonsense was an excellent example, even the BBC and Guardian were on board, it can only be that they feared their news outlets missing out on the exposure.

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19973 on: August 23, 2019, 12:04:02 PM »

So really posting links to most media is a waste of time

Feel sorry for Tighty wasting all that time posting links to The Guardian with their anti Brexit bias

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19974 on: August 23, 2019, 12:11:30 PM »

Feel sorry for Tighty wasting all that time posting links to The Guardian with their anti Brexit bias

Tighty is a smart guy, if it is his view that something is worthwhile, I always take a look. I won’t always agree but years of experience have told me that I think he is an astute judge, so I think it worthwhile to look at every link/post.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19975 on: August 23, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »

It's a good job your/my posts are a valuable use of time or we would all be as daft as each other.

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19976 on: August 23, 2019, 02:45:23 PM »

Angela Merkel: 'I did not set 30-day deadline'.

"I said that what one can achieve in three or two years can also be achieved in 30 days."

"It is not about 30 days. The 30 days were meant as an example to highlight the fact that we need to achieve it in a short time."

@Reuters

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19977 on: August 23, 2019, 02:46:01 PM »

EU diplomats are brainstorming a plan for a stripped down backstop for livestock and agricultural produce only, just for all-Ireland,

Will this be the solution for a deal? Can the DUP be persuaded?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/9780654/new-brexit-deal-stripped-backstop-no-deal/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19978 on: August 23, 2019, 02:46:25 PM »

Merkel and Johnson's meeting, as reported in the German press:

https://armchairideology.blogspot.com/2019/08/merkel-and-johnsons-meeting-as-reported.html

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19979 on: August 23, 2019, 02:47:43 PM »

BBC Reality check

What are the AlternativeArrangements for the Irish border which Boris Johnson keeps highlighting? And could they help avoid a hard border after Brexit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48884436

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 1328 1329 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 1335 1336 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: