blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1380 1381 1382 1383 [1384] 1385 1386 1387 1388 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180321 times)
bunnydas8888

View Profile
« Reply #20745 on: September 11, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »

One example

Yellowhammer doc confirms that there would be medical supply shortages in event of no deal because they’re so dependent on Dover crossing. They say the govt cannot stockpile all the medicines that we need.

Yep they confirm that the problem is the reliance on a single route...not the global availability of goods

So a big benefit of Brexit is that our reliance on a single route can be drastically mitigated...thus solving the problem EU membership brings

But the cost/time of the other routes drive the cost of goods up. Also, no matter how many routes you're using, won't one of them be your most reliant?
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20746 on: September 11, 2019, 09:43:55 PM »

I still don't get why inward flows will be affected at all - part of UK mitigation could easily be to carry on as we are now with European imports - why would we generate the issue - there's just no logic here that anyone can explain to me

Under WTO rules don't you have to treat all countries the same, so you allow EU goods flow freely and tariff free... so you have to let US goods flow freely and tariff free... so you have to let chinese goods flow freely and tariff free?   So business as usual isn't possible.   Good luck getting a US trade deal when you are already letting their goods in tariff free.  

Aah, that makes sense in terms of a longer term strategic perspective because yes you do have to treat everyone the same. Day one, I assume you could set your tariff schedule at zero and not be too concerned (safety etc regulations permitting) that this allowed US and Chinese goods to come in tariff free. I assume at some stage, if you felt systems were up to it, you could then start to review tariff schedules as they would apply to all trading partners, if it made sense to do so in the knowledge you could deal with the logistics at the port and because you felt that would help with your negotiation strategy on trade deals in the longer term.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:58:44 PM by nirvana » Logged

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20747 on: September 11, 2019, 10:25:14 PM »

Glenn, Bush's article tonight helps explain the no checks on stuff in which is planned and other stuff

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2019/09/what-governments-no-deal-brexit-planning-says-and-what-it-means

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #20748 on: September 11, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »

One example

Yellowhammer doc confirms that there would be medical supply shortages in event of no deal because they’re so dependent on Dover crossing. They say the govt cannot stockpile all the medicines that we need.

Yep they confirm that the problem is the reliance on a single route...not the global availability of goods

So a big benefit of Brexit is that our reliance on a single route can be drastically mitigated...thus solving the problem EU membership brings

But the cost/time of the other routes drive the cost of goods up. Also, no matter how many routes you're using, won't one of them be your most reliant?

numerous competitors drive price down. For sure there are logistical challenges and transportation issues but they’re for the supplier to solve if they want to add a big chunk of commerce to their bottom line. I don’t think that the stress is on government to provide solutions in natural business. Added supply costs can be absorbed by reduced margins from competing businesses. We might even see a variety of ports spring back into life for the benefit of costal communities. Customer habits are more fluid these days and Boris just needs to compares the meerkat for medical every year like insurance or energy.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
bunnydas8888

View Profile
« Reply #20749 on: September 11, 2019, 11:58:56 PM »

One example

numerous competitors drive price down. For sure there are logistical challenges and transportation issues but they’re for the supplier to solve if they want to add a big chunk of commerce to their bottom line. I don’t think that the stress is on government to provide solutions in natural business. Added supply costs can be absorbed by reduced margins from competing businesses. We might even see a variety of ports spring back into life for the benefit of costal communities. Customer habits are more fluid these days and Boris just needs to compares the meerkat for medical every year like insurance or energy.

It is the logistical challenges and transportation issues that no deal causes.  Like you say, the suppliers will solve, but in the first instance supply will slow & price will rise. Yes  businesses will do what they can to maximise their profits, so, naturally that means passing the cost onto the consumer (if they can get away with it)? Granted if one company decides to engage in a price war, that will drive cost down as the consumer will go for the cheaper option. But, when the consumer in this instance is the NHS...nothing happens overnight & it takes ages for any decision to be made.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20750 on: September 12, 2019, 12:19:48 AM »

Glenn, Bush's article tonight helps explain the no checks on stuff in which is planned and other stuff

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2019/09/what-governments-no-deal-brexit-planning-says-and-what-it-means

Thanks Rich, always find Bush relatively balanced and like reading his stuff

sola virtus nobilitat
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #20751 on: September 12, 2019, 02:03:20 AM »

Reading some stuff on Twitter and it comes clear as to why communications aren't fully being published.

Plan apparently all along to make EU blink, if not no deal (kinda knew this though, didn't we)

Also believed remain parties wouldn't come together as they did
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #20752 on: September 12, 2019, 08:06:12 AM »

Sat here watching the BBC news and its borderline scandalous the negativity being spread is foolhardy and somewhat dangerous.

Talk of rioting on the streets does no one any good.

If only Andy McDonald was as well briefed as Blonde.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #20753 on: September 12, 2019, 09:04:18 AM »

Sat here watching the BBC news and its borderline scandalous the negativity being spread is foolhardy and somewhat dangerous.

So true, it will be the fear of looting next, then riots and looting will be played out

Remain approach/rhetoric right from the start has been a real eye opener. Let’s keep pushing worst case thinking, so socially responsible

If you don’t agree with something these days then green light to disrupt to the max. I also see on the news that climate protesters are going to bring Heathrow to a standstill flying drones. Find this attitude all very French really.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20754 on: September 12, 2019, 11:05:37 AM »

Especially since no deal has been ruled out and those working with the EU claimed they had pre agreed they would accept an extension. Otoh, all sides are in campaign mode and it plays to what will be said by remain parties during the campaign proper when it comes.

Think as Mantis has pointed out before that the remain side should stop focusing on Brexit so much in their campaigns. I think the Tories simple message about leave means leave and mostly talking about other things will work much better in a GE.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20755 on: September 12, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »

So true, it will be the fear of looting next, then riots and looting will be played out

Remain approach/rhetoric right from the start has been a real eye opener. Let’s keep pushing worst case thinking, so socially responsible

If you don’t agree with something these days then green light to disrupt to the max. I also see on the news that climate protesters are going to bring Heathrow to a standstill flying drones. Find this attitude all very French really.

Looting for the last fresh tomato gonna be a thing

sola virtus nobilitat
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #20756 on: September 12, 2019, 11:25:29 AM »

Looting for the last fresh tomato gonna be a thing

The BBC coverage on the ten o’clock news last night was bang out of order.

It the old tactic of portraying the worst case scenario findings as expected to happen.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20757 on: September 12, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »

i like the quote

Rory Stewart’s Conservative association president says of No10:

“We have basically got an extremist advising an opportunist - that has got to be a recipe for disaster”

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20758 on: September 12, 2019, 12:13:27 PM »

Credit card interest rates. LinkedIn. The appeal of Mrs Brown’s Boys. The price of printer ink cartridges. The Large Hadron Collider. All baffling.

And yet none quite as mind-bogglingly complicated as Labour’s position on Brexit.

https://thetimes.co.uk/article/baffled-by-labour-s-brexit-policy-you-re-not-alone-wlt8lvcvn

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20759 on: September 12, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »

This is a great piece of analysis by Beth Rigby

Boris Johnson has provoked a culture war he might come to regret

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-boris-johnson-has-provoked-a-culture-war-he-might-come-to-regret-11806666

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 1380 1381 1382 1383 [1384] 1385 1386 1387 1388 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: