blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1381 1382 1383 1384 [1385] 1386 1387 1388 1389 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180605 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20760 on: September 12, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »

"£4,563,350,000 of aggregate short positions on a ‘no deal’ Brexit have been taken out by hedge funds that directly or indirectly bankrolled Boris Johnson’s leadership campaign"

This is described in some quarters as scandalous, i don't think the publication itself in impeccably unbiased but its a fascinating read

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/brexit-disaster-capitalism-8-billion-bet-on-no-deal-crash-out-by-boris-johnsons-leave-backers/

Disaster Capitalism is potentially having it off!

One commentator (left wing) said

"Many years from now, once we’re all dead, history teachers are going to have a job on their hands explaining to pupils how disaster capitalists betting against the pound were portrayed as patriots & people arguing that the poor shouldn’t starve to death were viewed as traitors." 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20761 on: September 12, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »

The latest from Lis

"Johnson won’t ultimately break the law. He doesn’t care enough about Brexit to go to jail over it.

He is instead promising something far more dangerous: to position and radicalise the people against parliament, the law, and democracy itself."

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/boris-johnsons-game-is-even-more-dangerous-than-you-think

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20762 on: September 12, 2019, 12:19:22 PM »

"We need a Brexit compromise for stability. But we're not getting one until we agree on one set of facts and the choices that then gives us. My latest democratically shares criticism out among the Brexit tribes"

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/economics-and-finance/you-cannot-wish-away-the-hard-choices-inherent-in-brexit

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20763 on: September 12, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »

Peston is close to Boris

"Could Boris Johnson betray the DUP and ERG?"

more on the NI solutions being proposed privately

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/will-boris-johnson-betray-the-dup-and-erg/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20764 on: September 12, 2019, 12:26:13 PM »

Sat here watching the BBC news and its borderline scandalous the negativity being spread is foolhardy and somewhat dangerous.

Talk of rioting on the streets does no one any good.

If only Andy McDonald was as well briefed as Blonde.

So true, it will be the fear of looting next, then riots and looting will be played out

Remain approach/rhetoric right from the start has been a real eye opener. Let’s keep pushing worst case thinking, so socially responsible

If you don’t agree with something these days then green light to disrupt to the max. I also see on the news that climate protesters are going to bring Heathrow to a standstill flying drones. Find this attitude all very French really.

Looting for the last fresh tomato gonna be a thing

The BBC coverage on the ten o’clock news last night was bang out of order.

It the old tactic of portraying the worst case scenario findings as expected to happen.

once again the title change: Original doc was the 'base scenario', a month ago and they have changed to 'reasonable worse case scenarios".

We knows there are other, longer more detailed docs govt not published either

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #20765 on: September 12, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »

Words from my CEO earlier this morning. ‘We are fully prepared for every eventuality of Brexit’
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20766 on: September 12, 2019, 12:41:24 PM »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-officials-regret-getting-into-bed-with-remainers-wxh2gkvjc

This is good for an oppo to mock the ludicrous Starmer and his positioning of Labour
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:43:19 PM by nirvana » Logged

sola virtus nobilitat
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20767 on: September 12, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »

"£4,563,350,000 of aggregate short positions on a ‘no deal’ Brexit have been taken out by hedge funds that directly or indirectly bankrolled Boris Johnson’s leadership campaign"

This is described in some quarters as scandalous, i don't think the publication itself in impeccably unbiased but its a fascinating read

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/brexit-disaster-capitalism-8-billion-bet-on-no-deal-crash-out-by-boris-johnsons-leave-backers/

"Many years from now, once we’re all dead, history teachers are going to have a job on their hands explaining to pupils how disaster capitalists betting against the pound were portrayed as patriots & people arguing that the poor shouldn’t starve to death were viewed as traitors." 

My twitter feed is having great joy in tearing this apart, turns out the author only looked at one tab of the relevant Excel sheet, once you net out the other tab then the data proves nothing whatsoever.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20768 on: September 12, 2019, 12:47:42 PM »

My twitter feed is having great joy in tearing this apart, turns out the author only looked at one tab of the relevant Excel sheet, once you net out the other tab then the data proves nothing whatsoever.
https://order-order.com/2019/09/12/caroles-short-logic-brexit-disaster-capitalism/

sola virtus nobilitat
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #20769 on: September 12, 2019, 01:05:01 PM »

Sat here watching the BBC news and its borderline scandalous the negativity being spread is foolhardy and somewhat dangerous.

Talk of rioting on the streets does no one any good.

If only Andy McDonald was as well briefed as Blonde.

So true, it will be the fear of looting next, then riots and looting will be played out

Remain approach/rhetoric right from the start has been a real eye opener. Let’s keep pushing worst case thinking, so socially responsible

If you don’t agree with something these days then green light to disrupt to the max. I also see on the news that climate protesters are going to bring Heathrow to a standstill flying drones. Find this attitude all very French really.

Looting for the last fresh tomato gonna be a thing

The BBC coverage on the ten o’clock news last night was bang out of order.

It the old tactic of portraying the worst case scenario findings as expected to happen.

once again the title change: Original doc was the 'base scenario', a month ago and they have changed to 'reasonable worse case scenarios".

We knows there are other, longer more detailed docs govt not published either

It was published like 6 weeks ago. It's an organic process. The title is only accurate/relevant if you're saying zero progress has been made to mitigate as the deadline draws close.

It's six weeks until your holiday and your suitcase is stone cold empty. But what's this? The day before you travel it's full of clothes and amber solaire. Yet for accuracy you must still call it an empty suitcase?!?

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
engy

View Profile
« Reply #20770 on: September 12, 2019, 01:15:09 PM »

<3 love Mantis analogies
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #20771 on: September 12, 2019, 01:21:37 PM »

https://order-order.com/2019/09/12/caroles-short-logic-brexit-disaster-capitalism/

My first thought when seeing a tweet about this was that even if it was true wouldn't that represent a trivial amount of money in hedge funds?

My second thought was that - given that hedge fund managers generally have a fair amount of cash, and given that most of them would probably tend to conservative values - is it really a surprise that a bunch of them would have been backing Boris?

The latest tweet I saw concerning this were people questioning whether these hedge fund managers might be guilty of insider trading 
All in all it comes across as a symptom of the left wing idea that rich = evil; and all you have to do is find a suitably high number to prove this.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #20772 on: September 12, 2019, 01:26:31 PM »

This is a great piece of analysis by Beth Rigby

Boris Johnson has provoked a culture war he might come to regret

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-boris-johnson-has-provoked-a-culture-war-he-might-come-to-regret-11806666

Is it a great piece of analysis or simply unfounded personal opinion?

The analysis part is e.g. the polls show twice as many voters think he makes a better PM than his closest rival. Which is qualified by pure speculation "But the confrontations which are coming could prove so divisive and radical that many of those middle of the road voters think Mr Johnson is too big a gamble as prime minister"

The analysis part is e.g. "Paula Surridge, political sociologist at the University of Bristol says the evidence suggests the fifth of voters with weak or no Brexit identity are leaning to the Conservatives". Which is qualified by the illogical "But his entire success or failure is predicated on leaving the EU on 31 October"

I think criticism of any PM is comical when the challenge is illustrated like this "There will be angry clashes in the Commons if he does bring back a deal. And if he doesn't? The conflicts will become uglier still"

As an aside when talking about the 21 Tory MP's heartlessly expelled do we need to keep referring to "Winston Chruchill's grandson"? It's the kind of introduction people get when they enter Celebrity Big Brother. I'm sure Andy Murray's mum started all this, whatever her name is.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #20773 on: September 12, 2019, 01:44:09 PM »

A reminder of what it is that we are leaving...

https://unherd.com/2019/09/inside-the-rotten-heart-of-the-eu/

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #20774 on: September 12, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »

Words from my CEO earlier this morning. ‘We are fully prepared for every eventuality of Brexit’

Maybe Boris could borrow his crystal ball.
Pages: 1 ... 1381 1382 1383 1384 [1385] 1386 1387 1388 1389 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: