blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:01:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1390 1391 1392 1393 [1394] 1395 1396 1397 1398 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2181147 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20895 on: September 20, 2019, 09:32:30 AM »

Yesterday

More on Johnsons dilemnas

"Johnson’s quickly discovering Brexit will ruin him just like his predecessors. Fully trapped, he can’t accept May’s deal, can’t accept no-deal, and only deal he could accept will finish him for good."

(It's Lis, clearly a remain writer)

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2019/09/19/an-ni-only-backstop-is-johnson-s-only-option-and-it-still-wo

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20896 on: September 20, 2019, 09:35:18 AM »

Finally, David Cameron re-emerges, just as his promise to ‘settle the Europe question forever’ reaches the Supreme Court |

We have had six days of media on his book. TV and press interviews, wall to wall coverage. Some revelations

Seen any of it? what do you think? (going to ask for the book for Christmas?)

My eyes are open wide
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #20897 on: September 20, 2019, 09:54:34 AM »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-k-port-dover-says-040000606.html

The Port of Dover -- through which a sixth of the U.K.’s trade in goods flows -- can cope with any disruption thrown up by a no-deal Brexit, Chief Executive Officer Doug Bannister said, suggesting some of the direr predictions of chaos are wide of the mark.

“The Port of Dover is 100% ready,” he said in an interview in his harbor-side office with views of the town’s castle, its famous white cliffs, its all-important port, and -- across the English Channel -- France. “Ferry operators: 100% ready. Calais, Dunkirk: 100% ready.”

[...]

Even so, Bannister said he still has no clarity on what “the rules of the game” will be after Brexit. By that, he said he means details from both the British and French governments about what documentation will be required with freight consignments -- and when it’ll be needed. What duties will be payable and when by? What format will the information need to be submitted in? It’s as close as he came to criticism of the government.

Business Will Adapt

“Once the rules of the game are known business will adapt, and they will adapt very, very swiftly,” he said. And when does he expect them? “If the run-up to March 29 is any indicator of when that might be, it will be on the day,” he said-- a reference to the original deadline for Brexit.

[...]

Dover could be the most visible manifestation of chaos. The port handles 120 billion pounds ($150 billion) of trade per year, processing 120 ferry-loads and 10,000 trucks a day. Add two minutes to the time it takes to process each truck, and the traffic would back up 17 miles.

[...]

Bannister said the government is preparing five sites dotted across southeastern England and away from the port itself, where freight trucks will be able to make export declarations and undergo veterinary and sanitary checks before heading to Dover. He’s been told those sites will be ready by Oct. 31. In theory, they should sift through trucks and funnel only those with the correct paperwork to the port.

“Whether they’ll be successful or not, we need to see on the day,” he said.

French Cooperation

While U.K. authorities have agreed to simplified customs procedures for the first six months after Brexit to ensure no friction, “we still don’t have clarity on what will be the checks the French authorities will do in Calais,” said Bannister.

Delays across the channel -- where there is overflow parking for 300 lorries -- could lead to backups in Dover once those spaces fill up. Nevertheless “we’ve got deep experience in managing traffic flows through disrupting times,” he said.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20898 on: September 20, 2019, 10:02:47 AM »

latest Brexit Blog on the week's developments or non-developments, with analysis of the negotiations or non-negotiations, of the LibDem revoke policy both in principle and as political tactic, plus a bit on Corbyn.

Just up: https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2019/09/a-state-of-suspension.html

I note the LD revoke policy wasn't popular on here

I also note on some polls they overtook Labour for second place this week after it got coverage

Also it got people talking the LD conference, where it is normally ignored. As a political tactic think it was interesting

Remains to be seen (no pun intended) what it does at the ballot box

My eyes are open wide
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #20899 on: September 20, 2019, 11:27:27 AM »

Great scoop via Pickard⁩ who got his hands on leaked Transport Dept docs suggesting govt’s Op Yellowhammer report on ports underplayed potential chaos.

DfT spells out that tailbacks outside Dover could stretch to around 150km

https://www.ft.com/content/0a37d14c-d887-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17

I have told you a million times not to exaggerate.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20900 on: September 20, 2019, 12:09:30 PM »

Great scoop via Pickard⁩ who got his hands on leaked Transport Dept docs suggesting govt’s Op Yellowhammer report on ports underplayed potential chaos.

DfT spells out that tailbacks outside Dover could stretch to around 150km

https://www.ft.com/content/0a37d14c-d887-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17

I have told you a million times not to exaggerate.

It is in the article, Not my estimates, I am quoting the exact tweet

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20901 on: September 20, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »

A big catch up, been flat to the boards all week

Did watch one day of the Supreme court. Compelling viewing. Enjoyed watching some different types of advocacy. Anyone else watched any of it?

I watched most of it, was utterly fascinating.

I read somewhere that on a regular day, the Supreme Court hearings are viewed by 20,000 people, but on Monday there were 4 million uniques.

I did some background research on Gina Miller too, that was quite revealing, but more of that later, maybe in my Diary which would be a more appropriate place is it's quite a bit off-topic. .

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #20902 on: September 20, 2019, 12:56:39 PM »

Did watch one day of the Supreme court. Compelling viewing. Enjoyed watching some different types of advocacy. Anyone else watched any of it?

I read somewhere that on a regular day, the Supreme Court hearings are viewed by 20,000 people, but on Monday there were 4 million uniques.

I did some background research on Gina Miller too, that was quite revealing, but more of that later, maybe in my Diary which would be a more appropriate place is it's quite a bit off-topic. .

I know Gina Miller has some coin, but is she funding this legal case personally? Must be costing millions in legal fees.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20903 on: September 20, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »

I know Gina Miller has some coin, but is she funding this legal case personally? Must be costing millions in legal fees.

I don't know the full background, my googling was over another matter, but she did do some "Crowd Funding" which raised £75,000 recently, though I doubt that would go far. She is married to a chap named Alan Miller, who is a seriously wealthy Hedge Fund Manager, who Tighty might know of, so he may be lobbing money in.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20904 on: September 20, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »

Where can I watch it on a regular day please?

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20905 on: September 20, 2019, 01:38:46 PM »

New poll shows #LibDems winning 83 Westminster seats including five in Surrey. Tories Raab and Hunt ditched.

http://flavible.com/politics/map/polls?sid=2294

Boris faces a pincer. 4m Tory remainers in 2015, largely S and SW and lots of LD marginals about

He has 17 seats in Scotland, pro-remain territory where his policy is harder brexit, though we will see what happens

Going to have to pick up chunks of the Brexit party vote and Labour Leavers to compensate in the N and Midlands (plus the Eat coast constituencies which are the most fertile ground for Leave. Clacton up to Boston). Could do, but we are in unprecedented territory

A Con majority is 7/4 today. Has been 2/1

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20906 on: September 20, 2019, 01:49:33 PM »

Where can I watch it on a regular day please?

I don't know Tom, I watched it "Live" on BBC Parliament, which is Channel 504 on the Sky platform.

You can watch recordings from earlier days via the links at the bottom of this page;

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2019-0192.html

For example.....

https://www.supremecourt.uk/watch/uksc-2019-0192/170919-am.html

When they said it gets 20,000 views on a normal day, I have no idea where exactly they were referring to, sorry. I assume the 4 million views was via the BBC Parliament channel. Which, by the way, it a great watch too.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:51:09 PM by tikay » Logged

ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #20907 on: September 20, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »

These are so funny

Activate Susan!

as usual ...very funny 
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #20908 on: September 20, 2019, 03:00:51 PM »

New poll shows #LibDems winning 83 Westminster seats including five in Surrey. Tories Raab and Hunt ditched.

http://flavible.com/politics/map/polls?sid=2294

Boris faces a pincer. 4m Tory remainers in 2015, largely S and SW and lots of LD marginals about

He has 17 seats in Scotland, pro-remain territory where his policy is harder brexit, though we will see what happens

Going to have to pick up chunks of the Brexit party vote and Labour Leavers to compensate in the N and Midlands (plus the Eat coast constituencies which are the most fertile ground for Leave. Clacton up to Boston). Could do, but we are in unprecedented territory

A Con majority is 7/4 today. Has been 2/1

Con majority is nearly 5/2 on betfair right now and has been constantly drifting slowly but surely for weeks now.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #20909 on: September 20, 2019, 11:54:56 PM »

The sober reality of Brexit once again showing it’s head as Thomas Cook look like going under, with Brexit being a major factor in it. 9,000 jobs going, 150,000 abroad and set to have a major impact on leisure industry.

Perhaps a little karma for some of those abroad who voted to leave, they can now see what their vote is doing.
Pages: 1 ... 1390 1391 1392 1393 [1394] 1395 1396 1397 1398 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: