blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:55:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272535 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1509 1510 1511 1512 [1513] 1514 1515 1516 1517 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2190791 times)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22680 on: December 16, 2019, 10:09:21 AM »

Apart from the obvious answer of - because they're racist - there was a massive amount of discussion about how it's all related to poverty and the North being decimated and devestated by the Tories. From what they wrote I would have guessed that the North is like some kind of Mad Max-ian post apocalyptic wasteland where the poverty stricken working class can only scrimp they're survival by digging in the dirt for the occasional fragment of coal to keep them going.

I know this was said in jest, but this wasn't far from the truth during the miners' strike in 1984-85, and living through this as the son of a coal miner is the significant factor in why I will never vote Tory in my lifetime.  Ironically, over 15,000 people within the Hemsworth constituency where I grew up managed to overcome this reluctance last week, which was probably the most stark statistic for me as to Corbyn's legacy.

In the height of the strike, it wasn't uncommon for people to try and find coal on the slag heaps (essentially the waste material from the pits) to heat their homes.  Most of the houses in the area were still powered by coal at the time.  There were a few deaths during the strike from teenagers trying to find coal for their families.  I have a distinct memory of standing at the school bus stop one morning when news of one of the deaths was being discussed around us.  The boy had relatives in the village, so news had filtered quite quickly within the small community.

Reading your post triggered the memory in a really vivid way, even though it's not something I've consciously thought about for years.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #22681 on: December 16, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »

The list of potential candidates for Labour leader is so underwhelming. I always remember when there is shouts, or a need, for a new leader then there's always a popular choices around the benches. Boris, Miliband brothers, etc.

But I gasp at what's on offer.

RLB, Burgon and Thornberry are all definite no's for me.

I probably wouldn't mind Starmer.

But I also wouldn't mind it being someone radically new who's not been mentioned. 

Step forward yourself lolrron.  You would fit in perfectly.   
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22682 on: December 16, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »

I think this is an excellent, balanced analysis of Labour's current issues.

"It’s a long road back for Labour from a wreckage of its own making"

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/politics/article/labour-jeremy-corbyn-general-election?amp&fbclid=IwAR1FtHZ-ISYr6ElpbVoHT4AB7Fq5Tii5zqxGFaAMbKmSFx5PInLngcfwsdg

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22683 on: December 16, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »

A brilliant and devastating essay by the NS on "well-born London liberals without experience of the frustrations and struggles of daily life in the small cities and faraway towns". Draws on Orwell...

https://bit.ly/2spWYx4

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22684 on: December 16, 2019, 03:10:32 PM »

A fantastic analysis of 2019, especially considering how quickly it came out.

Tl;dr Labour played bad hand badly on Brexit, had bad leader and bad tactics.

https://wixlabs-pdf-dev.appspot.com/assets/pdfjs/web/viewer.html?file=%2Fpdfproxy%3Finstance%3DiBswIT2p9at087yYCR0-m7HrobFzltC3hVDVyQDzopg.eyJpbnN0YW5jZUlkIjoiMzkxN2ZiN2UtMDg0ZC00NWNkLThkM2QtOGY5M2YxNzc5YzhlIiwiYXBwRGVmSWQiOiIxM2VlMTBhMy1lY2I5LTdlZmYtNDI5OC1kMmY5ZjM0YWNmMGQiLCJtZXRhU2l0ZUlkIjoiYjBkZjY1MTQtYjA3NS00NzFhLTkwODEtNTgwZGEwMzEyYTc4Iiwic2lnbkRhdGUiOiIyMDE5LTEyLTE0VDE5OjUyOjQ4Ljg2NVoiLCJkZW1vTW9kZSI6ZmFsc2UsImFpZCI6IjdmMDlhOTk4LWU3ZjMtNDA0Mi1iOGZhLTA5OTdlNWYyODdkNCIsImJpVG9rZW4iOiI4OWM4OWU2YS1iODM4LTAyZDctMWRiYy1kNzllNTE0NmI2ZjYiLCJzaXRlT3duZXJJZCI6ImJiZjYwMDFkLWNmN2QtNDAxNC1iYzE3LWJmNzE4MWU4ZmFiMyJ9%26compId%3Dcomp-k45vh8ar%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fdocs.wixstatic.com%2Fugd%2Fbbf600_1b99043caffb45608050332719e19571.pdf

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
roshambo

View Profile
« Reply #22685 on: December 16, 2019, 04:33:30 PM »

Apart from the obvious answer of - because they're racist - there was a massive amount of discussion about how it's all related to poverty and the North being decimated and devestated by the Tories. From what they wrote I would have guessed that the North is like some kind of Mad Max-ian post apocalyptic wasteland where the poverty stricken working class can only scrimp they're survival by digging in the dirt for the occasional fragment of coal to keep them going.

I know this was said in jest, but this wasn't far from the truth during the miners' strike in 1984-85, and living through this as the son of a coal miner is the significant factor in why I will never vote Tory in my lifetime.  Ironically, over 15,000 people within the Hemsworth constituency where I grew up managed to overcome this reluctance last week, which was probably the most stark statistic for me as to Corbyn's legacy.

In the height of the strike, it wasn't uncommon for people to try and find coal on the slag heaps (essentially the waste material from the pits) to heat their homes.  Most of the houses in the area were still powered by coal at the time.  There were a few deaths during the strike from teenagers trying to find coal for their families.  I have a distinct memory of standing at the school bus stop one morning when news of one of the deaths was being discussed around us.  The boy had relatives in the village, so news had filtered quite quickly within the small community.

Reading your post triggered the memory in a really vivid way, even though it's not something I've consciously thought about for years.

I'm always astonished when people say this, (Sturgeon said something similar on QT a few weeks back). How can people say that they will never do something in the future? Things change, 40 years before the strikes we were at war with the German's, now we have hysteria that we are trying to break up from them and the EU, things change, Governments change their policies. How can someone be happy to forgive and move on from the worst atrocity in modern age but not be willing to envisage a time they may agree with a political party regardless of their manifesto? it's this kind of party politics that has reduced the modern political picture to a farce.

Surely you'd look at each party on their policies and what you feel is going to be best for you and your core beliefs?
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #22686 on: December 16, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »

Is the vote that is likely to happen on Friday classed as a 'meaningful vote'?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #22687 on: December 16, 2019, 05:30:52 PM »

Is the vote that is likely to happen on Friday classed as a 'meaningful vote'?

meaningful vote has a specific meaning in terms of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018.

Essentially, for a vote to be 'meaningful' it has to encompass both Withdrawal Agreement, as well as the Political Declaration.

I'd be surprised if the coming vote on Friday wasn't meaningful (as in order to become law by Jan 31st he needs to have one) but it might not be in order to give him the opportunity to re-visit the declaration bit. Particularly those parts on level playing field etc he might be minded to try and change.

It's worth noting that the meaningful vote is *only* for the HoC, not the Lords. The vote is what sets up the Government's introduction of the Bill to ratify the WA. The proper scrutiny to be provided by the Lords (and, indeed, the Commons) will happen when (or, one supposes, if) the Bill is introduced.

Good primer here: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/parliament-and-elections/parliament/the-meaningful-vote-a-users-guide/
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22688 on: December 16, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »

I'm always astonished when people say this, (Sturgeon said something similar on QT a few weeks back). How can people say that they will never do something in the future? Things change, 40 years before the strikes we were at war with the German's, now we have hysteria that we are trying to break up from them and the EU, things change, Governments change their policies. How can someone be happy to forgive and move on from the worst atrocity in modern age but not be willing to envisage a time they may agree with a political party regardless of their manifesto? it's this kind of party politics that has reduced the modern political picture to a farce.

Surely you'd look at each party on their policies and what you feel is going to be best for you and your core beliefs?

Simple.  My core beliefs will never align with the Tory Party, ever.

There hasn't been a Tory government in my lifetime which hasn't systematically fucked over the community I grew up in.  It's in their fundamental DNA of protecting their own interests, no matter what the cost elsewhere.

That's an immovable position, and will never change.  Rather than being a supporter of any political party my fundamental political viewpoint is anti-Tory.  There is literally nothing they could offer to make me ever consider voting for them, because that would make me a hypocrite.

ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #22689 on: December 16, 2019, 08:12:54 PM »

Talk of RLB and Rayner "dream ticket" tonight.

I use the word dream lightly  Cheesy
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22690 on: December 16, 2019, 08:49:53 PM »

Talk of RLB and Rayner "dream ticket" tonight.

I use the word dream lightly  Cheesy

It could be worse, they were talking about Richard Burgon as deputy leader earlier.  He comes across as maybe a hair's width more intelligent than Mark Francois.  Glad they are using this few months of breathing space Corbyn is giving them to properly analyse this learn nothing.

I don't think Raymer is that bad, though she did somehow manage to come off worse than Michael Gove in his tweet battle with Stormzy.

There is just a big disconnect between what the membership see as the qualities of the best leader and what the labour voters see as the qualities of the best leader.  To their cxredit Corbyn and McDonell seem to be willing to shoulder some of the blame, but they have to look at that manifesto too.  It is ok saying that policy X is popular and it may well be, but including that policy with way too many other policies just leaves voters going really? and can we afford this?  Rail nationalisation may well be popular with voters, but it seems pretty clear that ral nationalisation and 100 over things weren't.  Given it doesn't even look possible to do their whole wish list in one term, just concentrate on what really matters to most of their voters: NHS, Education, fairer society, taking some of the sting from the austerity cuts out,  investment in the North, maybe just aim at an easy Nationalisation such as rail, some green policies that are achievable, in the first term.   That kind of things and it isn't meant as a full list.  Some stuff that is affordable, achieveable and can change their voters lives for the better.  There may well be (another) opem goal if Brexit goes badly, don't feck it up.

Oh and maybe just pick someone a bit more removed from the failed leadership.  Most of the candidates seem to be on the left of the party, and I don't think picking a Blairite is really needed, but pick someone without the baggage of Rebecca Long Bailey.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22691 on: December 16, 2019, 09:14:47 PM »

I tried looking for leaders a little while ago and it was really hard. One of the problems I suppose is people don't often look like leaders until they are. Boris Johnson was a bit different in this regard in that, love him or loathe him, he is an obvious leader.

I would have said someone like Ashworth until bantergate. Mind you, he could use his banter with the wider electorate to show he was ahead of the curve.

Of the current leading candidates I really don't think Starmer has the kind of appeal people think he might have and Lisa Nandy looks the best bet for me with 5 years to grow in the role. Not cause she's northern or a woman or even handed on Brexit - just that she seems fairly normal, authentic and doesn't sort of cry/whine when she's speaking.

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22692 on: December 16, 2019, 09:28:18 PM »

I tried looking for leaders a little while ago and it was really hard. One of the problems I suppose is people don't often look like leaders until they are. Boris Johnson was a bit different in this regard in that, love him or loathe him, he is an obvious leader.

I would have said someone like Ashworth until bantergate. Mind you, he could use his banter with the wider electorate to show he was ahead of the curve.

Of the current leading candidates I really don't think Starmer has the kind of appeal people think he might have and Lisa Nandy looks the best bet for me with 5 years to grow in the role. Not cause she's northern or a woman or even handed on Brexit - just that she seems fairly normal, authentic and doesn't sort of cry/whine when she's speaking.

I think Lisa Nandy is a good choice.  She is on the left, but has enough to appeal to both sides of the party, and that is what is needed now.  We have had several years of Corbynistas this, Centrists that.  They need someone everyone can unite behind and move on. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #22693 on: December 17, 2019, 07:34:24 AM »

With big chunks of Labour activists in denial about the reasons for losing (“it’s all down to Brexit and our policies are popular, we won the arguments” delusion) and the make up of the membership and NEC, it means only one realistic outcome.

It’s going to be someone to continue the Momentum/Corbynism project. Probably Rebecca Long Bailey.

These people are so obsessed with maintaining an ideology that they can’t see the woods for the trees.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22694 on: December 17, 2019, 08:57:32 AM »

With big chunks of Labour activists in denial about the reasons for losing (“it’s all down to Brexit and our policies are popular, we won the arguments” delusion) and the make up of the membership and NEC, it means only one realistic outcome.

It has been the political version of this scene

Pages: 1 ... 1509 1510 1511 1512 [1513] 1514 1515 1516 1517 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: