blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:41:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530876 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: February 20, 2017, 05:20:05 PM »

First day back and things went pretty well. Just went about 75%, and did a couple working sets at the same weight, or a final weight at a little lighter than working set.

No pain, which was nice, and think I'll stick along these lines for everything until I go away next month.

No pain always good.

100%

Think I'll go Rogan style for the next 3 weeks. Corona & red meat myself to death during Cheltenham, and then change it up when I get back.

Using myfitnesspal everyday now, too. Handy little app, and keeps me tracking what I'm eating, even if it's crap Cheesy

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: February 20, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »

4x5 Bench at 97.5 I am losing some of the control at the bottom, but I have too much of an ego not to do 100 next week.

4x8 OAR 48, felt good so moving onto 50s from next week.

Pause them all then. Also try pulling the bar in to your chest rather than just resisting the weight as it falls if that makes sense?

Your bench seems to have been at fairly similar volume for a while now. Perhaps try something like the programme I've been on?

4 x 6 @ 75% then 3 x 3 at 80%
5 x 5 @ 75% then 3 x 3 at 80%
6 x 4 @ 80% then 3 x 2 at 85%

Made a huge difference for me doing different volume every week although I didn't know it until I tested.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: February 20, 2017, 05:31:54 PM »

4x5 Bench at 97.5 I am losing some of the control at the bottom, but I have too much of an ego not to do 100 next week.

Pause them all then. Also try pulling the bar in to your chest rather than just resisting the weight as it falls if that makes sense?

Your bench seems to have been at fairly similar volume for a while now. Perhaps try something like the programme I've been on?

Made a huge difference for me doing different volume every week although I didn't know it until I tested.

Still have a pause, its just less controlled. You probably wouldn't see a difference but I can feel a difference if that makes sense.

Going down in reps post 100 for sure, I have wanted multiple sets of on two plates for years. Last time I was at 100 it was 3 reps, so want some real life progress to push the extra two reps out. So got to give it a go, then will push the 3's for a few weeks and see where we get too.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: February 20, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »

Still have a pause, its just less controlled. You probably wouldn't see a difference but I can feel a difference if that makes sense.

Going down in reps post 100 for sure, I have wanted multiple sets of on two plates for years. Last time I was at 100 it was 3 reps, so want some real life progress to push the extra two reps out. So got to give it a go, then will push the 3's for a few weeks and see where we get too.

Yes!!

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: February 21, 2017, 05:05:21 PM »

4x5 Squats at 120, filmed the second set at it looks really pleasing. Really, really happy with this, didn't feel fantastic going in, and its a full lifetime PB in terms of reps and sets, as well as by far a technique lifetime PB. So doubly pleased. Not sure if I want to change protocol either way, but will have a think.

4x8 RDL 100

3x5 Hack Squat 50kg, absolutely do naaaat like this machine, but want to get better on it.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: February 21, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »

Appreciate this is a broad and possibly silly question, but could i get some advice on how to train when on a calorie deficit? I'm not sure of realistic targets given energy levels.

Initially i was planning to use a calorie deficit as a means to throw in some HIIT sessions and take the opportunity to work on my cardiovascular fitness which i feel is very poor. Then i read this from Aadam - Don’t ‘exercise’ for fat loss. Exercise to retain and build muscle, let your diet – which should consist of a calorie deficit – handle the fat burning.

Should i be doing something like a 3x3 variant of compound movements, upping the weight for every successful session?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: February 21, 2017, 11:33:35 PM »

Appreciate this is a broad and possibly silly question, but could i get some advice on how to train when on a calorie deficit? I'm not sure of realistic targets given energy levels.

Initially i was planning to use a calorie deficit as a means to throw in some HIIT sessions and take the opportunity to work on my cardiovascular fitness which i feel is very poor. Then i read this from Aadam - Don’t ‘exercise’ for fat loss. Exercise to retain and build muscle, let your diet – which should consist of a calorie deficit – handle the fat burning.

Should i be doing something like a 3x3 variant of compound movements, upping the weight for every successful session?

You've just got to get to the gym and do whatever you want and see how you cope. There's no set rule to how your body will cope with what you feed it with so you have to experiment and find out what works best for you.

Some people for example won't be able to lift a thing unless they've stocked up on carbs before a session. Others will find that the same food bloats them and they can't even get to the gym for stomach cramps.

Personally I find that a fruit + protein shake on my way to the gym in the morning gets me through a pretty heavy session. Other guys there I know have had nothing other than a coffee. My old training partner could go a full day at work and lift like an absolute beast on nothing but a pitta bread. Everybody's different in how their body deals with the calories you throw at it and what form those calories take.

You've elected to use your diet to control your weight so your training will have to survive on whatever energy it can find.

So I guess the answer is a question. What do you want to do? What form of training is most likely to get you to the gym and keep you going regularly? If you enjoy lifting heavy things then just do that and see what happens.

I wouldn't worry about upping weights every session if weights are the way you decide to go. Decide what to do then stay consistent for a while so that it doesn't become a variable when you start to notice things happening with your body and also your weight. Presumably you're making changes to your diet at the moment so you need your daily energy usage to remain fairly consistent so that you know if your food intake is where it needs to be.

If you reduce calories at the same time as you increase your training you won't know which one has caused the resulting change in your body. You seem to have a habit of changing your mind very often and not giving anything a real chance to work. It takes years to figure out how your body responds to whatever you demand of it and a couple of sessions where you struggle don't necessarily mean that your body can't cope on a calorie deficit.

Does that help? Basically get to the gym and do something you like and just see what happens.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: February 21, 2017, 11:44:17 PM »

4x5 Squats at 120, filmed the second set at it looks really pleasing. Really, really happy with this, didn't feel fantastic going in, and its a full lifetime PB in terms of reps and sets, as well as by far a technique lifetime PB. So doubly pleased. Not sure if I want to change protocol either way, but will have a think.

4x8 RDL 100

3x5 Hack Squat 50kg, absolutely do naaaat like this machine, but want to get better on it.

I was on the squats as well today although I was 100kg lighter Cheesy

I've changed my lower day slightly to be more squat focussed so they get the volume hit and I'm finishing off with a couple of sets of heavy (for me) deadlifts just for doubles/triples.

I've made a slight change to my stance and gone a bit wider which I hope will help with my hip impingement. I'm going flat shoes no plate to elevate my hel and really working on depth to try to improve my hip mobility on the right side which is where I have my problem.

Full session was something like.....

Kettlebell squats very light for a warm up and also to get a good stretch

Leg press 4 sets very light again for a warm up

Squats. 4 x 10 just the bar......

RDL sets up to 60kg

Deadlift 2 x 8 @ 60kg then 3 x 2 @ 100kg. Thought about banging another plate on but decided to be sensible.

Leg curls 3 sets

Not the most taxing session but I really enjoyed it. It's very liberating when you focus on your own training and don't worry that people might be watching you squat with just the bar.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: February 22, 2017, 12:12:12 AM »

4x8 RDL 100

I was on the squats as well today although I was 100kg lighter Cheesy

I've changed my lower day slightly to be more squat focussed so they get the volume hit and I'm finishing off with a couple of sets of heavy (for me) deadlifts just for doubles/triples.

I've made a slight change to my stance and gone a bit wider which I hope will help with my hip impingement. I'm going flat shoes no plate to elevate my hel and really working on depth to try to improve my hip mobility on the right side which is where I have my problem.

Full session was something like.....

Kettlebell squats very light for a warm up and also to get a good stretch

Leg press 4 sets very light again for a warm up

Squats. 4 x 10 just the bar......

RDL sets up to 60kg

Deadlift 2 x 8 @ 60kg then 3 x 2 @ 100kg. Thought about banging another plate on but decided to be sensible.

Leg curls 3 sets

Not the most taxing session but I really enjoyed it. It's very liberating when you focus on your own training and don't worry that people might be watching you squat with just the bar.

From the squats I saw, rapid progress is to be seen.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »

You've just got to get to the gym and do whatever you want and see how you cope. There's no set rule to how your body will cope with what you feed it with so you have to experiment and find out what works best for you.

Some people for example won't be able to lift a thing unless they've stocked up on carbs before a session. Others will find that the same food bloats them and they can't even get to the gym for stomach cramps.

Personally I find that a fruit + protein shake on my way to the gym in the morning gets me through a pretty heavy session. Other guys there I know have had nothing other than a coffee. My old training partner could go a full day at work and lift like an absolute beast on nothing but a pitta bread. Everybody's different in how their body deals with the calories you throw at it and what form those calories take.

You've elected to use your diet to control your weight so your training will have to survive on whatever energy it can find.

So I guess the answer is a question. What do you want to do? What form of training is most likely to get you to the gym and keep you going regularly? If you enjoy lifting heavy things then just do that and see what happens.

I wouldn't worry about upping weights every session if weights are the way you decide to go. Decide what to do then stay consistent for a while so that it doesn't become a variable when you start to notice things happening with your body and also your weight. Presumably you're making changes to your diet at the moment so you need your daily energy usage to remain fairly consistent so that you know if your food intake is where it needs to be.

If you reduce calories at the same time as you increase your training you won't know which one has caused the resulting change in your body. You seem to have a habit of changing your mind very often and not giving anything a real chance to work. It takes years to figure out how your body responds to whatever you demand of it and a couple of sessions where you struggle don't necessarily mean that your body can't cope on a calorie deficit.

Does that help? Basically get to the gym and do something you like and just see what happens.

Really appreciate the response mate.

In retrospect, you are right that i have been impatient lately. I stuck with 5x5 in the beginning and did well in terms of numbers, but quickly became frustrated with the lack of physical progression basically everywhere except my legs (which became absolute tree trunks) and i just don't get why that grew and nowhere else did.

In switching to a higher rep program I then ultimately became frustrated again when i didn't see any real change over what i felt was a decent period of months. In experimenting with the deficit now I feel like i'm just trying to find something that works, but you're probably right that i needed to stick with one approach longer to find out for sure.

I reckon I need a little more guidance at this as i feel as though something is lacking. Going to seriously consider coaching over the next few weeks. I mean this is a hobby and i enjoy it to an extent regardless of progress, but i do seem to lack efficiency.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:21:12 PM by muckthenuts » Logged
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: February 22, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »

Today seems to have flown by and not sure how, didn't make it for one session and going to spend the rest of the evening eating. Hopefully get 2 in Thurs/Fri and DL sat
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: February 23, 2017, 06:02:00 AM »

Read everything from the trip report to now and enjoyed it.

On pre gym food, i too eat bananas but as many as i like as i am a big fan of how lightly it sits on the stomach, and i bring 3/4 into the gym with me as i go through reps just in case i feel peckish. I like how it's a good energy booster whenever i need it and i don't have to worry about it negatively affecting the training after i have just eaten however many mid session.

On my routine, i am up to 110kg with the deadlift, but i am cheating here and it only dawned on me recently that was the case as i am a newb. I use an EZ bar, the squiggly shaped one. It is smaller so the lift is narrower and i think easier as a result, and the bar is elevated at the point i clinch.

I definitely still feel a burn, but clearly its an odd bar to use for a deadlift.

I remember trying to use a bigger bar and having trouble putting up anywhere near 100kg and couldn't work out why. Much more obvious now.

I am not sure whether or not to proceed with the EZ bar or go to a conventional one and build up form there?

Bench press i am building up from small weights and am at 40kg barbell for 10 reps 2x, and plan to add 5kg every time and see where it takes me and lessen the reps - only if comfortable obv. I do bench twice a week.

Lat shrug with dumbells at 44kg, but having the issue mainly with grip here as that is a heavy weight to hold on to.

Side bend is around 36kg, really think it is the grip that is limiting me moving up here, i should try 44kg if i can hold it for the shrugs.

30kg for the bent over arm row dumbbell single arm.

Squats I am just doing arse to grass really getting my bottom down as far as possible and really loosening up those hips/groin area. I can't get below parallel without the help of a weight to put me down, which shows how rigid i am. I think the form is good, but before i look to lift as big as i know i could, I really want to loosen up the area with a lower weight. I'm using 45kg at the moment for around 8 reps.

bicep curl is at 15kg, i do dips for the triceps and my lateral arm raise for shoulders is at 6kg

I am pretty sporadic with how many sets and reps i do, doing more with the deadlift and squat, which are on separate days, as they are good compound movements, and doing less with all the others. Generally i want to come out of the gym not feeling spent, whereas before i was guilty of doing that, which should help me maintain a regime. I am probably under doing it at the moment which is fine and i will build up carefully and find the sweet spot.

I do 5 mins run to start and 5 mins run for a warm down too, which is a slow buildup for both then at 2.30 sprinting near all out for 1 min, then slowing back down to a walk by minute 5, ready for the stretch for warm up and warm down. I am pretty adept at making sure niggles are well contained as i do this, and react accordingly, but i like the sprint aspect as it gets the muscles warm much more quickly than a 10 mins steady jog, and gets me blowing hard.

Squats, bench press, biceps, triceps, lateral arm raise, abs today.
Deadlifts, lat shrugs, side bend, bent over row, lat pull down, on the next day and alternate.

I need to work out better mobility/yoga sort of training too, but I haven't got around to it. 

I have also put on weight with an increase in lentils and what i believe is more muscle mass getting on me, which isn't bad. It will be interesting to see how far i can go.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: February 23, 2017, 11:44:44 AM »

On pre gym food, i too eat bananas but as many as i like as i am a big fan of how lightly it sits on the stomach, and i bring 3/4 into the gym with me as i go through reps just in case i feel peckish. I like how it's a good energy booster whenever i need it and i don't have to worry about it negatively affecting the training after i have just eaten however many mid session.

On my routine, i am up to 110kg with the deadlift, but i am cheating here and it only dawned on me recently that was the case as i am a newb. I use an EZ bar, the squiggly shaped one. It is smaller so the lift is narrower and i think easier as a result, and the bar is elevated at the point i clinch.

I definitely still feel a burn, but clearly its an odd bar to use for a deadlift.

I remember trying to use a bigger bar and having trouble putting up anywhere near 100kg and couldn't work out why. Much more obvious now.

I am not sure whether or not to proceed with the EZ bar or go to a conventional one and build up form there?

Bench press i am building up from small weights and am at 40kg barbell for 10 reps 2x, and plan to add 5kg every time and see where it takes me and lessen the reps - only if comfortable obv. I do bench twice a week.

Lat shrug with dumbells at 44kg, but having the issue mainly with grip here as that is a heavy weight to hold on to.

Side bend is around 36kg, really think it is the grip that is limiting me moving up here, i should try 44kg if i can hold it for the shrugs.

Squats I am just doing arse to grass really getting my bottom down as far as possible and really loosening up those hips/groin area. I can't get below parallel without the help of a weight to put me down, which shows how rigid i am. I think the form is good, but before i look to lift as big as i know i could, I really want to loosen up the area with a lower weight. I'm using 45kg at the moment for around 8 reps.

bicep curl is at 15kg, i do dips for the triceps and my lateral arm raise for shoulders is at 6kg

I am pretty sporadic with how many sets and reps i do, doing more with the deadlift and squat, which are on separate days, as they are good compound movements, and doing less with all the others. Generally i want to come out of the gym not feeling spent, whereas before i was guilty of doing that, which should help me maintain a regime. I am probably under doing it at the moment which is fine and i will build up carefully and find the sweet spot.

I do 5 mins run to start and 5 mins run for a warm down too, which is a slow buildup for both then at 2.30 sprinting near all out for 1 min, then slowing back down to a walk by minute 5, ready for the stretch for warm up and warm down. I am pretty adept at making sure niggles are well contained as i do this, and react accordingly, but i like the sprint aspect as it gets the muscles warm much more quickly than a 10 mins steady jog, and gets me blowing hard.

Deadlifts, lat shrugs, side bend, bent over row, lat pull down, on the next day and alternate.

I need to work out better mobility/yoga sort of training too, but I haven't got around to it. 

I have also put on weight with an increase in lentils and what i believe is more muscle mass getting on me, which isn't bad. It will be interesting to see how far i can go.

All seems pretty good, would definitely recommend DL'-ing on a straight bar at the very least. Start slow with the Olympic one and get used to it. There isn't a rush.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: February 23, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »

2 in the bank today, just full body accessory days so nothing major to report.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: February 24, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »

All seems pretty good, would definitely recommend DL'-ing on a straight bar at the very least. Start slow with the Olympic one and get used to it. There isn't a rush.

Nice one thank you. I will convert over and try 50kg on the bar to start for the deadlift. Would the bigger bar be about 20kg itself? So 70kg total?
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: