blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:45:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 279 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 533593 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4110 on: January 13, 2022, 05:49:19 PM »

Was forced to do a barbell chest press session flat and incline for the first time in months as the January newbies had overcrowded the gym benches for dumbbells.  I have been using dumbbells only for the last few months.   Managed to bang out 8 reps at 80kg easily 3 x 90kg and a 1 rep max of 1 x 100kg which really surprised me even though the dumbbells have been going well i wasn't expecting to be that strong without a spotter.

Solid work mate and the dumbbells will definitely have contributed.

I've recently put DB inclines and seated DB shoulder press back in to my routine and I've seen an increase in bench since.

You tempted to give bench a shot now that you've had this pleasant result or back to DB when they're available?

I am going to stick with DB's until i have the 50s out hopefully in the summer.  Then i will do another bench trial.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: January 13, 2022, 06:04:04 PM »

Was forced to do a barbell chest press session flat and incline for the first time in months as the January newbies had overcrowded the gym benches for dumbbells.  I have been using dumbbells only for the last few months.   Managed to bang out 8 reps at 80kg easily 3 x 90kg and a 1 rep max of 1 x 100kg which really surprised me even though the dumbbells have been going well i wasn't expecting to be that strong without a spotter.

Solid work mate and the dumbbells will definitely have contributed.

I've recently put DB inclines and seated DB shoulder press back in to my routine and I've seen an increase in bench since.

You tempted to give bench a shot now that you've had this pleasant result or back to DB when they're available?

I am going to stick with DB's until i have the 50s out hopefully in the summer.  Then i will do another bench trial.

Keep updating your progress, would love to see how quickly you can get there.

50s are so hard, even picking them up off the floor is a challenge but pressing the ba****ds is so challenging.

Best advice I could give is to do them often, at least 3 times per week and to vary rep ranges. You need to do heavy days where you're hitting 4 to 6 reps on your top set and light days when you hit 8 to 10 reps on your top set.

Every rep should be full range and you should be pausing at the bottom on some sessions. Doesn't have to be a long pause but you have to stop. If you don't do this whilst you're building up you'll end up doing shoddy reps on the 50s and risk injury.

Also you shouldn't ever 1rm on dumbbells. There's so many stabilising muscles involved you're just asking for trouble.

I'd throw in some heavy tricep work as well if you can. Do some narrow grip bench as part of your triceps work and it'll carry over really well to your dumbbells. It'll also keep your eye in for when you move on to bench in the future.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: January 15, 2022, 08:37:47 PM »

Big Saturday bench session today.

Programme was for 3 reps so I took a 132.5kg banker then had a go at 140kg to see how it felt. Managed two reasonably comfortable reps but didn't attempt a third as I knew it wasn't quite there. 140kg equals my PR for 2 though so got to be happy with progress.

Did a double at 150kg and two singles at 160kg with the slingshot which was great to feel the weight. I've failed 160 a few times in the past so this was really encouraging a full 8 weeks from the next 1RM attempt.

I'm getting crazy volume in on upper body so it's no surprise that I'm doing well but it's still a great feeling to be making progress.

In other news I still can't squat or deadlift for s**t 

Giving up squat and deadlift is one of the best things I've ever done training wise. I just kept injuring myself so the risk/reward just isn't worth it. I do all machine work for legs twice per week and some hyper extensions for my lower back all of which is close to zero risk.

I've also started doing body weight squats at home every morning and evening just as a prehab exercise to make sure I don't get too weak. Seems to be going well so far and takes no time at all.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: January 27, 2022, 10:28:53 PM »

On strength news i ez bar curled 60kg (including the bar) for 5 reps for the first time this century today!   Bicep power is nearly at 1998-9 peaks at 47 years old!  Felt good today doing that.      Had a few watching pretending they werent in the gym as you do!!!!!

How's your form on these? Much 'cheating' required or can you get a couple reasonably strict?

I've only recently got back in to curls but don't seem to be progressing much. I'm at 3 x 12 with 20kg although they are very strict done purely for aesthetics not power.

Don't recall curling 60kg ever in all honesty. Even with a bit of body movement that's impressive. We should probably add arms in to our session when we get round to it as they seem to be one of your main strengths.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: January 28, 2022, 10:44:59 AM »

On strength news i ez bar curled 60kg (including the bar) for 5 reps for the first time this century today!   Bicep power is nearly at 1998-9 peaks at 47 years old!  Felt good today doing that.      Had a few watching pretending they werent in the gym as you do!!!!!

How's your form on these? Much 'cheating' required or can you get a couple reasonably strict?

I've only recently got back in to curls but don't seem to be progressing much. I'm at 3 x 12 with 20kg although they are very strict done purely for aesthetics not power.

Don't recall curling 60kg ever in all honesty. Even with a bit of body movement that's impressive. We should probably add arms in to our session when we get round to it as they seem to be one of your main strengths.

Definitely do arms during a meet.  Reasonably strict form wise.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: February 02, 2022, 09:06:57 PM »

All going well at the moment.

Now hitting 140kg doubles on the bench comfortably so hoping to manage a triple soon. Hit 120kg for 9 on Monday without too much trouble so hoping to finally crack double figures on these soon as well.

Incline DB press are up to 2 x 8 at 50kg but the 8 are really tough. Want to get these to double figures as well but it's pretty tough. I do these after my heavy benching so they should be hard I suppose.

Progress is steady but persistent. Not smashing any records but definitely feeling stronger.

Anyone else about?? All seems very quiet.......

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: February 02, 2022, 09:44:22 PM »

Did 3 sets of 4 with 44kg duumbells today unspotted which felt great.    Going to get the 50kg out next week and try and do one rep!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: February 02, 2022, 10:07:08 PM »

Still retired, and just started doping myself up on the sativex.

Hoping it gives me the munchies, so I can have a few weeks going ballistic on the calories Grin

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: February 02, 2022, 10:18:26 PM »

Also next week going to move up to the 30kg dumbbells for standing bicep curls and hammer curls having worked through the 26/28kg's over the last 2 months.  Felt super strong today doing 3x8 sets with the 28kg's going to start ton the 30kg and work up from probably 4 reps initially to 8 reps in a a couplle of months.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: February 02, 2022, 11:12:23 PM »

Did 3 sets of 4 with 44kg duumbells today unspotted which felt great.    Going to get the 50kg out next week and try and do one rep!

Coming along nicely mate.

That's a huge jump from 44 to 50, haven't they got anything in between? Or are you just throwing in a hail Mary for fun?

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: February 02, 2022, 11:16:03 PM »

Also next week going to move up to the 30kg dumbbells for standing bicep curls and hammer curls having worked through the 26/28kg's over the last 2 months.  Felt super strong today doing 3x8 sets with the 28kg's going to start ton the 30kg and work up from probably 4 reps initially to 8 reps in a a couplle of months.

That's insane, don't think I could even move it to be honest.

I go really light on curls due to previous injuries but might have a go at increasing slightly in the near future. Won't do it until after my bench PR day though in case I do any damage. For now I'm sticking to the same routine every week as I know it's relatively low risk.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: February 02, 2022, 11:20:03 PM »

Hoping it gives me the munchies, so I can have a few weeks going ballistic on the calories Grin

Awesome, is this the one you were talking about years ago but it was really expensive?

I remember when my dog was on THC/CBD for his cancer we were talking about its effectiveness.

Be really interested to hear how you get on with it.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: February 07, 2022, 03:26:08 PM »

Couple of nice PRs this last few days on the bench.

Saturday I hit 120kg for 8 paused reps then today managed 120kg for 10 without the pause. 

Two and a half plates for double figure reps has been a long time goal so I'm really happy with that one.

Accessory work is really good, just got to stay injury free and hopefully there's a decent chance of breaking the 150kg barrier on 1RM day.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: February 07, 2022, 04:18:40 PM »

Awesome, is this the one you were talking about years ago but it was really expensive?

I remember when my dog was on THC/CBD for his cancer we were talking about its effectiveness.

Be really interested to hear how you get on with it.

Yeah, the same stuff. I could have had a month of it, but then had to pay ~£400 a month after if it was any good.

It tastes horrific, so hopefully I will know if it's doing anything before I get to 12 sprays a day Cheesy

I'm only a week in, and haven't noticed anything of real note, other than my calves seem a little less tight.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: February 07, 2022, 04:19:10 PM »

Couple of nice PRs this last few days on the bench.

Saturday I hit 120kg for 8 paused reps then today managed 120kg for 10 without the pause. 

Two and a half plates for double figure reps has been a long time goal so I'm really happy with that one.

Accessory work is really good, just got to stay injury free and hopefully there's a decent chance of breaking the 150kg barrier on 1RM day.

Great going, and 6 plates by Xmas Grin

Pages: 1 ... 271 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 279 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: