blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:38:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Gigs/festivals 2017
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gigs/festivals 2017  (Read 41215 times)
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2016, 12:57:19 PM »

Good week on a purely selfish level for myself Smiley Manics in Leeds on Friday supported by Editors, and The Coral in York on Saturday.

Fratellis are touring Costello Music later this year for its 10th anniversary. As if its a decade old already!

Forgotten Fields has been cancelled this summer, Suede amongst others were due to headline. Simply too many festivals doing the rounds over summer?

Best Bitter.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2016, 06:02:46 PM »

Just seen this thread.

Worked in Coventry for several years and was involved in booking one of the stages for a few years.

Good festival and great that it is all for free. Everyone in Cov looks forward to it every year a lot. Recommended!
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2016, 07:22:50 PM »

Just seen this thread.

Worked in Coventry for several years and was involved in booking one of the stages for a few years.

Good festival and great that it is all for free. Everyone in Cov looks forward to it every year a lot. Recommended!

Yeah sadly I have to work that weekend now otherwise it was a goer. Some great bands on the bill for a free festival, one I'll keep my eye on for next year now that I'm aware of it Smiley

Who have played there in recent years out of interest? Couldn't see much online about line ups in recent history.

Best Bitter.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2016, 01:26:55 AM »

Manics on for almost 2 hours tonight, what a back catalogue. If I'm honest I was a tad disappointed by Editors set list (only 1 song from Back Room and 1 from An End Has A Start) but they were still class. Seeing them again in 3 weeks in Eindhoven so looking forward to that.

Bit pissed Smiley

Best Bitter.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »

Probably the best place is here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godiva_Festival#2016

It is kind of varied, sometimes they have more current artists and sometimes they have people touring on their old hits (*ahem* Fun Lovin Criminals) - One year I got to hang out with Phil Oakey from the Human League back stage for a while, nice bloke! So that was my highlight...

I was a massive Manics fan 1993-1995 era, so always have mixed feelings seeing them now, though I've seen then several times as a threepiece. Such a unique band, I feel like I can forgive them for the occasional dud song and duff album. Sounds like a great combo with Editors though, they've really come along way since I saw them place as Snowfield on the Birmingham pub circuit!

What band/singer would you most like to see in concert that you haven't seen?

Mine would be Bowie and The Clash. Both now sadly impossible. Bowie was supposed to play at Roskilde festival the year I went in about 2004, but had to pull out with illness, that was the closest I got. I did get to see Strummer with the Mescaleros which was a great night, but of course I was secretly hoping Mick Jones would come on at the end for an encore...
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »

Probably the best place is here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godiva_Festival#2016

It is kind of varied, sometimes they have more current artists and sometimes they have people touring on their old hits (*ahem* Fun Lovin Criminals) - One year I got to hang out with Phil Oakey from the Human League back stage for a while, nice bloke! So that was my highlight...

I was a massive Manics fan 1993-1995 era, so always have mixed feelings seeing them now, though I've seen then several times as a threepiece. Such a unique band, I feel like I can forgive them for the occasional dud song and duff album. Sounds like a great combo with Editors though, they've really come along way since I saw them place as Snowfield on the Birmingham pub circuit!

What band/singer would you most like to see in concert that you haven't seen?

Mine would be Bowie and The Clash. Both now sadly impossible. Bowie was supposed to play at Roskilde festival the year I went in about 2004, but had to pull out with illness, that was the closest I got. I did get to see Strummer with the Mescaleros which was a great night, but of course I was secretly hoping Mick Jones would come on at the end for an encore...

That's a good question.....I was quite into the grunge scene in my formative years so to see Nirvana at the peak of their powers would've been pretty special I imagine. Being 7 when Kurt blew his head off kinda made that impossible Smiley Also never seen Oasis. I wouldn't say I was huge fan of theirs, but I do like plenty of their stuff and being a City fan makes it feel like I should catch them at some point. Rumours are circulating of a reunion next year....

First time I'd seen MSP so nothing to compare it against, but was very impressed indeed. Sounded great and had bags of energy. Slight disappointment with the Editors (not the band but the set list), but I'm comparing a 45 minute support slot vs seeing them at the O2 last October where they absolutely owned the place and had the crowd in the palm of their hands, so maybe I'm being a tad unfair.

Acoustic version of Ocean Spray was probably the highlight, wasn't sure he'd/they'd play it due to its subject matter but very glad they did. No Suicide Is Painless, but will let that slide Wink

Best Bitter.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2016, 01:22:42 PM »

Another band from that mid 00s era are packing it in.

Sunshine Underground are releasing one last album and then going on a farewell tour in October before knocking it on the head. Never made it quite as big as some of their counterparts but they have a few decent songs.

Kula Shaker touring the 20th anniversary of their debut album. These anniversary tours need to stop, cos all they are is a constant reminder of how old I'm getting! Smiley

Best Bitter.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »

One of my favourite things about Glasto is sitting around on the Wednesday with your highlighter working out all the bands that you are going to see/miss.
Now the set times are already released and sites like Clashfinder make the highlighting electronic, you can even set up alerts to remind you which bands are coming on when and all this can be done 3/4 weeks before the festival.  The long and short of it is, all in all, its an amazing line up for me but its all going to be so late, will my old bones make it?

With both Saturday and Friday nights seeing must see sets at 5am and 6am its going to be a long old weekend.

Stupidly excited to see Bring me the Horizon again, along with Mercury Rev, Adele (don't tell anyone), Earth Wind and Fire, Underworld, Polly Harvey and loads more, but its all about the 's this year, Andy C, Hype and Friction, Shy FX, Roni Size about 3 times and Craig Charles to get my funk on, really am getting super excited.

Before all that we have AC/DC with Axel Rose this weekend and a couple of warm up gigs before the festi but the countdown is on, now if only it would stop bloody raining.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2016, 04:42:58 PM »

15 years of waiting is over - brilliant.
Seeing them on the 12th June.

maccol

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2016, 04:57:15 PM »

Saw Bruce Springstein at Hampden last night. 3 1/2 hours non-stop rock, belting out tune after tune. Not too shabby for a 68 year old.

Embracing the variance.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2016, 05:59:24 PM »

3 and a half hours?! That's pretty damn good value for money, though I'm guessing the ticket wasn't on the budget end of the spectrum Smiley

Editors and The View have recently been confirmed for Glasto, I think Adele would be pretty cool to see live (I wouldn't pay to see her as such but if she was doing a festival I might pop along if it didn't clash with someone good).

Just over 2 weeks until Best Kept Secret in Eindhoven for me, then they come thick and fast in July with Shed Seven, Ash, Ocean Colour Scene w/ Sheds, View and Bluetones and also Kaiser Chiefs playing York races.

August is looking empty as it stands Sad

Best Bitter.
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2016, 12:45:05 PM »

15 years of waiting is over - brilliant.
Seeing them on the 12th June.

What a weird video. 15 years since "Since I Left You" incredible work ethic  Cheesy

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2016, 12:50:58 PM »

This month, live will be Femi Kuti, & The Staves at the Meltdown festival on the South Bank.

Click to see full-size image.

Click to see full-size image.

Looking forward to Glasonbury on TV

Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2016, 04:16:35 PM »

Axl Rose was incredible on Saturday with AC/DC.  Anyone who was umming and arring about GnR tickets next summer don't - the boy still got it.

He worked really well with Angus (who really is the GOAT). The little nods to Axl were great, red topped microphone, white leather jacket and tartan kilt for the encore.  Was great to see a really different AC/DC set as well, played loads of early stuff I had never seen them play live before and to see a rendition of Touch Too Much was well and truly worth it.

(As an aside Slash tweeting a pic of him and Duff in the crowd on Saturday and then your Mrs who has been a bit a Slash stalker in the past realises she is in said photo has been a source of much fun to myself and  friends . . . Call yourself a stalker and you don't even recognise him when you are almost touching each other, bless her she is not amused).

Olympic Stadium worked excellently as a venue, understand there was some trouble coming out as Police seemed to get the queues badly wrong for the station coming out of Westfield, but that aside well organised, loads of toilets, bars, beer sellers, no queues.  Could smoke on the pitch and the sound was brilliant.  West Ham have got a bargain, locals in the pubs suggesting they have sold 55 thousand + season tickets going to be one hell of a place to watch a game, seems far more intimate then Emirates and Wembley.  Would be happy to see more gigs there as well.

Have folded and bought a ticket for Field Day festival on Sunday to see the Avalanches - hope its as good as last weekend.

Tonji, love Femi Kuti always a guaranteed quality show, have fun.

Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2016, 04:34:49 PM »

Will do Nakor, the African superstar gigs in London are always special events.

Enjoy the Avalanches, the Field Day weekend looks great, Polly Harvey & Air.

Are you off to Glastonbury this year?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: