blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:08:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Gigs/festivals 2017
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gigs/festivals 2017  (Read 41211 times)
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2016, 12:52:08 AM »

Is it true that Stone Roses don't allow anyone other than Shane Meadows to film them/their performances?

I've seen various comments from people (some I know, some I don't) ripping into their set at TITP this weekend. I know they have a dubious rep as a live band but this sounds like it was really poor.

Best Bitter.
NoCardDSC

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2016, 12:06:23 PM »

Took a half an hour train to Godiva Festival in Coventry from MK last Sunday, very much recommend it to others next year.

It's the countries biggest FREE musical festival and gets a very good turn out. 120k over the 3 days.

Milburn who I follow very closely played along with the Pigeon detectives on the Sunday, with Scouting for Girls headlining (what a way to ruin it!) and some really good supporting stages.

The likes of The Charlatans and The Subways on the Saturday also. All in all a very good festival and set up.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2016, 04:55:36 PM »

Took a half an hour train to Godiva Festival in Coventry from MK last Sunday, very much recommend it to others next year.

It's the countries biggest FREE musical festival and gets a very good turn out. 120k over the 3 days.

Milburn who I follow very closely played along with the Pigeon detectives on the Sunday, with Scouting for Girls headlining (what a way to ruin it!) and some really good supporting stages.

The likes of The Charlatans and The Subways on the Saturday also. All in all a very good festival and set up.

It's certainly on my radar for next summer, sadly by the time I'd noticed it this year it would've been too complicated to sort with work. If it gets a line up as decent as this year then I think we'll make a weekend of it in Coventry 2017.

I assume the acts aren't playing for free so are their costs covered just from food and drink sales alone? Council chuck a few quid their way?

Best Bitter.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2016, 05:49:23 PM »

Great write up.

How old are the girls?

Swift edit for fear of my question being misinterpreted:)

It was genuine curiosity related to how much they might find to enjoy.

We took my granddaughter to Wychwood for the first time when she was eight, since then all the grandkids have been. They love the 'being there' but the music kind of passes them by.
Wychwood is tiny compared to Latitude, and minuscule compared to Glastonbury.
Be interested to hear how it goes.

So won't be taking the girls to Glasto next year without a camper van seems to be the consensus.

Latitude was great, weather helped massively (it was almost too hot) and the girls behaved well and got a lot out of the whole experience.  As you say Latitude is miniscule compared with Glasto and the big realisation was the walking, car trips etc would be far too much in general population or family camping at Glasto.

Latitude - quote of the weekend was from a un-named girl in the kids theatre tent - it was book at bedtime and the story teller was asking the gathered children if they had ever lost a toy (was relative to the story).  The little girl replied she had and the story teller asked if it was at the Festival and the little girl replied "No coming home from LA last weekend" - the story tellers face was a picture.

Moans at the family camping security check around having to decant the Champers out of glass bottles were also very common as they have been every year I have attended - makes me laugh, JD tastes the same from plastic bottles I find.

Latitude is almost perfect for what it is and the organisation is top draw.  The sound quality on all the stages is brilliant, the change overs are quick, they run to timetable, the bars are plentiful and well staffed, the food choices are huge and very well priced in the main.  The Comedy, Poetry, Cabaret and Literature line ups read like who's who of their fields it just lacks decent music depth.  Now I am sure this is to appeal to a certain sort of patron but £205 a ticket I expect a little more depth of talent on the music front.

That being said the kids activities are brilliant, ranging from giant sand pits, to pond dipping, model making, whittling, carpentry, theatre groups (cast members of Wicked and Joseph taking the groups), fire shows, circus training and bubbles and that lot barely scratches the surface.  My two loved it, they woke each day eager to get to it, and fell asleep exhausted each night - perfect.

Of the music I saw Soulwax were the stand out set.  The new set up playing live Dance Music, 3 drummers, guitarist, 2 's and a percussion section, was mind blowing as they grow as a band it could be very special.  Slaves were brilliant and got the crowd going as did Rat Boy.  After that I was into a crop of bands that were not my thing - Beruit will be investigated further and Christine and the Queens were fabulous darlings, the rest were a bit fluffy for my liking, but that's not really what the weekend was about.

As you get older you/I have listened to less new music and you become set in your ways and I can be thankful that latitude opened my eyes to what is out there, just wish I liked more of it.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2016, 11:00:33 AM »

Sounds like you had a blast , thanks for the writeup

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2016, 11:12:46 AM »

Sounds like you had a blast , thanks for the writeup

Sounds like Latitude did 'Exactly what it says on the tin', it's Oxfam stewarded and always fills up very quickly. Might put it on my to do list for next year.

A note about using the camper van field at Glastonbury. I have stewarded the Ped Gate (D?) on a number of occasions and the queues do build up at busy times, especially when it is raining. But that entrance does have the advantage of being close to the Kids' Field and to a lot of the family fun areas. It has the disadvantage of being outside the fence and thus a lot further from stuff like the JP stage the Dance area and the Park.
For a family though, I would say it wins out big style vs being in the Family Camping area.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2016, 01:52:52 PM »

Jamie T tickets for Cambridge and Brixton secured.  Today is a happy day.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »

Great write up as usual Nakor, thanks.

Have to say, as an old timer, campervan/caravan is the way to go.  Bought a caravan specifically for Download a few years ago and it made a huge difference.  No carrying tents for miles, then going back for kit plus the return journey.  Has a fridge to keep beers and bacon cold, cupboards to put things in.  Best of all, when it's pissing it down you can go straight back, pop on the gas fire to warm up and get changed.  Lovely!   

Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2016, 02:20:16 PM »

Great write up as usual Nakor, thanks.

Have to say, as an old timer, campervan/caravan is the way to go.  Bought a caravan specifically for Download a few years ago and it made a huge difference.  No carrying tents for miles, then going back for kit plus the return journey.  Has a fridge to keep beers and bacon cold, cupboards to put things in.  Best of all, when it's pissing it down you can go straight back, pop on the gas fire to warm up and get changed.  Lovely!   

I don't want to get old . . . . but the reality is I am and if I am going to take the girls to these things then it seems to be the only choice.
As David states the Camper field is a way from the main site at Glasto but I think the benefits you outline far outweigh all that (ummm Bacon).

Anyway you are far too tall to attend festivals, you should be made to sit in a chair at the back Wink

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »

One of the nice things about Download's campervan field is that it has it's own entrance to the main arena, didn't have to walk far at all.   I think our daughter would love a festival and I'd love to taker her but I'd need another caravan before going again, no way I can go back.  She'll be too old to go with me by the time I get around to it, perhaps with her mates one day.

Oh and I sit in the middle, on my camping chair, with my cool box Cheesy  

(only joking, just to clear that up)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:46:31 PM by Graham C » Logged

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »

Pixies tickets secured for the O2 Academy Leeds in November.

Will be great to see them in a smaller venue (c2,300 capacity).

Saw Belly perform after a 21 year hiatus on Saturday.  Made me realise that they'd been missed over that time.  They played a couple of new tracks too, both of which sounded as good as the old stuff.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2016, 04:48:01 PM »

Pixies tickets secured for the O2 Academy Leeds in November.

Will be great to see them in a smaller venue (c2,300 capacity).

Saw Belly perform after a 21 year hiatus on Saturday.  Made me realise that they'd been missed over that time.  They played a couple of new tracks too, both of which sounded as good as the old stuff.

Grrr it clashes with White Lies at the uni that same night, marv scheduling. Love the academy in Leeds as well, great venue. Might look at their Newcastle and Manchester dates but I have to work on Friday morning and I can't imagine the tickets lasting long.

Busy few days lined up for me; Kaiser Chiefs at York races on Friday, Bluetones, Shed Seven and OCS in Leeds on Saturday (The View have pulled out sadly, lead singer in rehab in Thailand, been replaced by a local band) and Ash in York on Tuesday.

Also got tickets for the 2nd annual Yorfest held on the racecourse in September, headlined by Lightning Seeds and a personal favourite, The Rifles. 20 nicker to get drunk on a field all day Smiley

Best Bitter.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »

Still havn't finished watching all of the stuff from Glastonbury but have been mightily impressed with Michael Kiwanuka.

#Invalid YouTube Link#

Check out his new album , Love and Hate -highly recommended.

Other acts enjoyed so far

Catfish and the Bottlemen

#Invalid YouTube Link#

Blackberry Smoke

St Paul and the Broken Bones

#Invalid YouTube Link#
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:17:19 PM by booder » Logged

im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2016, 06:18:02 PM »

can somebody sort those links for me please.

Martin Luther King Jr
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2016, 07:00:24 PM »

Still havn't finished watching all of the stuff from Glastonbury but have been mightily impressed with Michael Kiwanuka.

Check out his new album , Love and Hate -highly recommended.

Other acts enjoyed so far

Catfish and the Bottlemen

Blackberry Smoke

St Paul and the Broken Bones

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: