blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Gigs/festivals 2017
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gigs/festivals 2017  (Read 41212 times)
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »

ELO on bbc2 now, so so good <3
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »

Only managed to catch a few bits & pieces from Glastonbury.

Particularly enjoyed Mercury Rev, P J Harvey & New Order, but they are my era & rarely disappoint.

New to me Tame Impala, pretty good, 70s influenced soft rock.

Surprisingly entertained by both headline acts Adele & Coldplay, not my sorta thing generally, but they both worked the crowd & looked to have fun.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2016, 07:37:02 PM »

LCD Soundsystem closing other stage on Sunday was the highlight for me. Murphys stage presence is the best I've ever seen

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »

Not seen much Glasto action but watched the hour long set of the Editors and a few snippets of Adele, she looked like she had the crowd in the palm of her hand.

She isn't my cup of tea but hard not to admire how much talent she has.

Best Bitter.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2016, 10:16:01 PM »

The news I've been waiting for; a White Lies tour! New album October and a UK and European tour Oct/Nov. Leeds on 30/11 looking the one.

Best Bitter.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »

Glasto was brilliant.  Maybe having a year off was what I needed, but I didn't want to leave and that has not happened for some years.

It was muddy, maybe as bad as 97, but the weather was actually very good, a shower on Wednesday and Friday morning's and then little until Sunday lunch time.  The amount of water on site prior to opening was the issue and they actually would have cancelled if they had had 5mm more on the Monday before (according to Billy Bragg).

The vote made Friday really weird - we went to bed Thursday night expecting in and blazing sunshine all weekend, we woke upto out and a forecast of continuous rain.  The vote did have an effect as nearly every artist mentioned it, and the place seemed in real shock on Friday.

Musically, Adele and ELO were the surprises of the weekend.  Adele I was expecting to leave after 3 songs, but I stayed.  She was engaging and she has a great voice, just a shame about the songs.  Rolling in Deep was amazing crowd participation possibly the best I have ever seen.  ELO, who knew.  What a band, tight and on the money with some difficult string arrangements. I was surprised that I knew maybe 11 from 15 odd songs - and that boy can play guitar, a band that always rather passed me by, so very pleased to see them.

Personal choices of the weekend were Underworld and Bring Me The Horizon.  Underworld is a difficult act to pull off at a festival, huge (electronic) instrumental breaks, 1 guy twiddling knobs never an easy sell, but the music hooks people in.  They played all the classics including Rez, which may be the best rush I have ever had, what a tune.  Bring me The Horizon, is an off the wall booking for Glasto and the "Other Stage" is never the best venue for a band that might be a bit marmite as the sound is so poor and wind effected massively.  However after a nervous start they settled down quickly and played a great cross section of the back catalogue.  The crowd steadily grew through the set and they ended playing to a huge crowd.  Glasto needs metal and BMTH supplied it with youthful exuberance.

Madness, Paul Heaton, Craig Charles, James, Roni Size all need special mentions.  ZZ Top, Jess Glinn (SP?) and the Power Ballard battle I was dragged too not so much.

Night time is where its at at Glasto, it really is a 24 hour thing these days, and the split with Arcadia and the Dance Area vs Shangra La (Naughty Corner) is much better.  Arcadia was immense for a DnB head like myself and it was great to see so many of the big 's perform but please stop with this "only playing tunes from my label".  Carl Cox, Andy C and Hype had massive platforms to get there music to new audiences to celebrate their genre's history but the treated it like a Friday night in "Trade".  Then someone like Ellis Dee comes on at 3 in the morning and blows them all away.

Lots of forthcoming gigs starting with Latitude in a fortnight - Glasto 17 practice as I am taking both girls.  I must be mad.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2016, 07:09:28 PM »

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2016, 09:32:15 PM »

nice write up, glad you had a great time

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2016, 10:34:20 PM »

Great write up.

How old are the girls?

Swift edit for fear of my question being misinterpreted:)

It was genuine curiosity related to how much they might find to enjoy.

We took my granddaughter to Wychwood for the first time when she was eight, since then all the grandkids have been. They love the 'being there' but the music kind of passes them by.
Wychwood is tiny compared to Latitude, and minuscule compared to Glastonbury.
Be interested to hear how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:39:38 PM by david3103 » Logged

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2016, 11:23:36 PM »

Great write up.

How old are the girls?

We took my granddaughter to Wychwood for the first time when she was eight, since then all the grandkids have been. They love the 'being there' but the music kind of passes them by.

3 and 3/4's and 1 and a half.
Its something we agonize over. Took eldest to Latitude last year and it worked out very well, we were lucky with weather and the kids area kept her entertained well enough. Leaving them with Grandparents for Glasto was tough (for us not the kids who had a fine time eating chocolate and ice cream it seems) and they are far too aware to split.  Latitude is only and hour away and I have friends in the village and we are going with others with kids, so its a very easy option its just a camping holiday.  Glasto a different story.

Mrs is very keen that they go to worthy farm as kids.  She also thinks it likely next year will be the last. After the Longleat experiment in 18 it is possible so that leaves next year.  My gut reaction is too soon, its doable I prefer the idea of camping in the village and busing in each day, family camping in anything but a perfect weather year is a big ask the thought of dragging a cart/pushchair round site in mud is very scary.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2016, 12:03:42 AM »

Great write up.

How old are the girls?

3 and 3/4's and 1 and a half.
Its something we agonize over. Took eldest to Latitude last year and it worked out very well, we were lucky with weather and the kids area kept her entertained well enough. Leaving them with Grandparents for Glasto was tough (for us not the kids who had a fine time eating chocolate and ice cream it seems) and they are far too aware to split.  Latitude is only and hour away and I have friends in the village and we are going with others with kids, so its a very easy option its just a camping holiday.  Glasto a different story.

Mrs is very keen that they go to worthy farm as kids.  She also thinks it likely next year will be the last. After the Longleat experiment in 18 it is possible so that leaves next year.  My gut reaction is too soon, its doable I prefer the idea of camping in the village and busing in each day, family camping in anything but a perfect weather year is a big ask the thought of dragging a cart/pushchair round site in mud is very scary.

My God you're brave to even consider Glastonbury with children that young. Maybe you could hire a Nanny for the trip?

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »

Snagged my White Lies ticket this morning, and also snapped up a ticket for Cast at the back end of the year in 'ull.

Really hope no more bands I like announce stuff, pretty sure Nationwide would like me out of my overdraft at some point this year Smiley

Best Bitter.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2016, 04:41:40 PM »

Shed Seven are like Tikay or a fine wine, just get better with age. A great gig for a great cause, with 5 figures raised for homelessness charities in York.

Only just rolled out of bed, sore head Smiley need to sort Feeder tickets, I'll be in trouble with my flatmate if they've sold out and we've missed the boat cos I was too hungover to get up Wink

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/14605805.Shed_Seven_charity_gig_raises_thousands_for_York_homelessness_charities/

Best Bitter.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2016, 04:52:53 PM »

Not been to any live music for few years, going to this here in Notts in a couple of weeks  Smiley

http://www.splendourfestival.com
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2016, 04:55:49 PM »

Not been to any live music for few years, going to this here in Notts in a couple of weeks  Smiley

http://www.splendourfestival.com

Seen The Rifles 4 times, very tight live band, would recommend catching them if you get the chance.

Best Bitter.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: