blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:21:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272602 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The long overdue (no staking) tennis betting and discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 54 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The long overdue (no staking) tennis betting and discussion thread  (Read 93188 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2021, 10:17:26 AM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/54349009

"I don't see who's next," Watson said.

"I feel like we've got a good little group of players right now, but little. I don't see who's going to be top 50.

This feels a bit harsh; before her injury, Katie Boulter had gone ahead of Watson in the rankings, was playing really well and had a very good chance of getting to the top 50.  It feels like this is just trolling her. 

As mentioned, Jack Draper has a very good chance of top 50, and I would be surprised if Radacanu doesn't make it.  Jodie Burrage has struggled with injuries too, but could make top 100.  I would love to see Francesca Jones make it too given what she has overcome.  One good year could see one of a handful of others make it to the top 100 who are in the 200s or so. 

The French Open has clearly been a bit of a shambles for Brits, but not sure I'd write off the future yet.  It isn't like there was a golden period in the recent past when we have had better than we have now.  Having the Murray brothers and Konta is the exception rather than the norm.   I grew up watching a bunch of bang average wild cards getting dumped out of Wimbledon by the second day. 

So are we really in bad shape?

Ha, bumped this thread and found this. 

I thought Raducanu was going to be good, I didn't realise how good.  She is going to be UK number 1 in no time at all, and top 10 seems more likely than not.  It is just the range of shots she has, and she seems to be still improving rapisly.  Konta was pretty good in her prime, but never had Raducanu's range or speed of thought, and she made number 4 in the World.  As an aside, Konta seems to have been watching too many of Ivor Cumming's videos.  Even now she seems to be on the fence on the vaccine (seriously wtf?). 

You can watch all these US open games live on Amazon Prime (I finally have a use for it) and she is due on at 7pm.  She could easily win this one too.

Can't watch Tennis tonight doobs, gotta watch the Solheim Cup climax. I'm a bit anti Solheim & Ryder Cups, but have to say this one is boiling up into a cracker.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2021, 10:36:14 AM »

"I feel like we've got a good little group of players right now, but little. I don't see who's going to be top 50.

This feels a bit harsh; before her injury, Katie Boulter had gone ahead of Watson in the rankings, was playing really well and had a very good chance of getting to the top 50.  It feels like this is just trolling her. 

As mentioned, Jack Draper has a very good chance of top 50, and I would be surprised if Radacanu doesn't make it.  Jodie Burrage has struggled with injuries too, but could make top 100.  I would love to see Francesca Jones make it too given what she has overcome.  One good year could see one of a handful of others make it to the top 100 who are in the 200s or so. 

The French Open has clearly been a bit of a shambles for Brits, but not sure I'd write off the future yet.  It isn't like there was a golden period in the recent past when we have had better than we have now.  Having the Murray brothers and Konta is the exception rather than the norm.   I grew up watching a bunch of bang average wild cards getting dumped out of Wimbledon by the second day. 

I thought Raducanu was going to be good, I didn't realise how good.  She is going to be UK number 1 in no time at all, and top 10 seems more likely than not.  It is just the range of shots she has, and she seems to be still improving rapisly.  Konta was pretty good in her prime, but never had Raducanu's range or speed of thought, and she made number 4 in the World.  As an aside, Konta seems to have been watching too many of Ivor Cumming's videos.  Even now she seems to be on the fence on the vaccine (seriously wtf?). 

You can watch all these US open games live on Amazon Prime (I finally have a use for it) and she is due on at 7pm.  She could easily win this one too.

Can't watch Tennis tonight doobs, gotta watch the Solheim Cup climax. I'm a bit anti Solheim & Ryder Cups, but have to say this one is boiling up into a cracker.

I have been vaguely following it but a bit busy.  I saw that penalty on day 1 for early pick up of the ball, which seemed ridiculous, but that is golf.   Surely there should be a good of the game rule that supersedes the rules at points like this? 

Might have a look in tonight after the tennis if I remember.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2021, 10:51:24 AM »

I have been vaguely following it but a bit busy.  I saw that penalty on day 1 for early pick up of the ball, which seemed ridiculous, but that is golf.   Surely there should be a good of the game rule that supersedes the rules at points like this? 

Might have a look in tonight after the tennis if I remember.

Entirely agree, common-sense should have prevailed. To be fair, Team USA did not raise any objection from what I saw, it was the Match Referee.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2021, 11:42:55 AM »

Prime is great for the tennis and now you can watch it through the sky box my Mother is loving it she watched all the brits through qualifying and the over night games she watches in full first thing in the morning
she is even able to work it on her own now and wayches as many brits as she can in singles and doubles.

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2021, 09:13:56 PM »

didnt see that happening after the first 2 games

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2021, 09:23:09 PM »

She is just so good.   She was 1.7 today and it seemed value.   

One more game and she is UK number 1.  Next game likely to be much tougher though.   Not sure what value is, 2.5 up?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2021, 09:37:55 PM »

not sure shes has demolished 2 players ranked in the 40s but next round is a huge step up in class

think she must be on the verge of being able to get into the top tier events now on ranking alone if not would imagine a few wild cards

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2021, 09:55:46 PM »

not sure shes has demolished 2 players ranked in the 40s but next round is a huge step up in class

think she must be on the verge of being able to get into the top tier events now on ranking alone if not would imagine a few wild cards

She is up to 74 on provisional rankings.  More than enough to get her straight into the US Open.  I can't imagine Eastbourne not inviting her. 

I have tickets for Nottingham carried forward to next year, but she might be too big time now!   She just seems box office, but really no idea how the wild cards go elsewhere.  If she carries on like this, she'll be getting into big tournaments on ranking alone in no time.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2021, 10:23:44 PM »

where would she go rankings wise with a win or final?  top 20?  

https://live-tennis.eu/en/wta-live-ranking

23rd if she wins!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 10:29:14 PM by arbboy » Logged
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2021, 12:45:48 AM »

One more game and she is UK number 1.  Next game likely to be much tougher though.   Not sure what value is, 2.5 up?

Betfair have opened and she is currently 2.32/2.4, so will just watch for now.   

Have seen a few people mention she hasn't beaten a top 40 player, but demolishing a couple of players just outside the top 40 isn't the same as scraping home against them in 3 sets.   

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2021, 01:22:17 AM »

What's Konta been saying, Doobs?

She can't be on the cummings express, can she?

Didn't she have it earlier this year and miss one of the comps because she was ill?

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2021, 01:23:01 AM »

Betfair have opened and she is currently 2.32/2.4, so will just watch for now.   

Have seen a few people mention she hasn't beaten a top 40 player, but demolishing a couple of players just outside the top 40 isn't the same as scraping home against them in 3 sets.   

Had it on in the office earlier, as the old man was raving about her, and I didn't even know he liked tennis Cheesy

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2021, 01:44:23 AM »

Only just turned on after the first set here, and this looks lively!

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2021, 08:56:44 AM »

Didn't she have it earlier this year and miss one of the comps because she was ill?

Before Wimbledon she was pretty sceptical, and saying she liked to take her time on deciding whether to take the vaccine and pretty sure she went on about the long term risks etc. 

She then missed Wimbledon as one of her team got Covid (she got it herself soon after) and missed the Olympics because she was still suffering herself after Covid.  She has also acknowledged she missed a lot of training and taken time to get back.  I have probably seen her play most of her games since Wimbledon and she probably still isn't fully back, and she has dropped outside the top 32 to 60 or so.   

Then before the US Open, she was asked about the vaccine and she said she didn't like to talk about it, but then said it was a difficult decision and she was unsure if she should have taken the vaccine.  I don't think she has taken it yet, though she likely has quite a bit ot immunity now. 

She might have fallen down the rankings anyway, as she had a lot of points to defend, and her level had fallen before she got Covid.   I still just shake my head every time she speaks on the vaccine.  If you don't want to speak about the vaccine, just say no comment or similar.  It isn't just her though, I read the other day that approximately half tennis players haven't been vaccinated and Djokovic has managed to outdo Konta on this.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2021, 03:16:08 PM »

Before Wimbledon she was pretty sceptical, and saying she liked to take her time on deciding whether to take the vaccine and pretty sure she went on about the long term risks etc. 

She then missed Wimbledon as one of her team got Covid (she got it herself soon after) and missed the Olympics because she was still suffering herself after Covid.  She has also acknowledged she missed a lot of training and taken time to get back.  I have probably seen her play most of her games since Wimbledon and she probably still isn't fully back, and she has dropped outside the top 32 to 60 or so.   

Then before the US Open, she was asked about the vaccine and she said she didn't like to talk about it, but then said it was a difficult decision and she was unsure if she should have taken the vaccine.  I don't think she has taken it yet, though she likely has quite a bit ot immunity now. 

She might have fallen down the rankings anyway, as she had a lot of points to defend, and her level had fallen before she got Covid.   I still just shake my head every time she speaks on the vaccine.  If you don't want to speak about the vaccine, just say no comment or similar.  It isn't just her though, I read the other day that approximately half tennis players haven't been vaccinated and Djokovic has managed to outdo Konta on this.

Hopefully she's a warning for any of them that are hesitant, if she's still a bit wobbly, even now.

See that William Foxen and Kristen Bicknell have gone full crazy on this, and spend half their time retweeting conspiracy theorists now.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 54 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: