blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:30:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353752 times)
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: April 25, 2020, 05:03:37 PM »

So been a busy couple of weeks but seems like a good time for a work update...

Saw this link earlier, and although I know some of you don't like the paper I think this headline is going to be reasonably accurate.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8211739/Farce-banks-coronavirus-crisis-loans-just-5-000-businesses.html

We still don't have anything agreed and an actual CBIL doesn't appear to be on the table, but to be fair to them there have been a lot changes for us since the process first started.

We secured an order for 4000 metal storage trolleys going into NHS Nightingale. The first 250 went in on Friday and the remainder are to be delivered through the rest of the month. That was our biggest ever single order.......

Until we found out that one of our Chinese suppliers has a huge amount of PPE available for sale. We have an operation in the USA and things moved very quickly and we now have a 747 full of PPE being delivered to the USA government on Thursday.

Further to this, I can get a lot more and even 2000 ventilators but I believe the pricing on these is hugely inflated so I have made offers to NHS & Bupa.

Makes me wonder what the UK Government are doing if I can source it so easily.

Crazy times compared to wondering if the business would make it through the year 2 weeks ago.

Hey All

Been a busy couple of weeks since this post!

747 of PPE successfully delivered to NY State Government last week

But what is more unbelievable is we offered the same service to the NHS two weeks ago...... nothing.

A week ago we spoke to Nicky Morgan who but us directly in touch with Matt Hancock.
He passed us on to the cabinet team in charge of sourcing PPE. We were a priority offer for review as we had access to gowns. A week later we have submitted spec sheets but they've ordered nothing.

In that same week NY have sorted their second order for 3 more planes full!

It's no wonder we are short of PPE!

Incredible. Nice one, a brilliant story and turn round for you and your company.

After all the song and dance about the 747 from Turkey to the UK last week and 1st hand accounts of the PPE issues from 2 of my doctor contacts, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the UK weren't able to benefit here despite your efforts.

What do you think the reasons are? Cost, spec, inefficiency or something else?

Has to be inefficiency.

NHS via their portal have not come back asking for specs, just have not responded full stop
Cabinet office are still checking specs, they have come back for clarification on one item, we haven't even started to discuss pricing yet

I have a quote in to the NHS via a different route and I believe they are happy with the pricing, and are trying to action it faster.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: April 25, 2020, 05:06:17 PM »

Oh and I always liked Norman Tebbitt, even when I was an anarchist

Horrible racist. What is there to like?

People aren't one thing

sola virtus nobilitat
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: April 25, 2020, 05:07:44 PM »

Saw this link earlier, and although I know some of you don't like the paper I think this headline is going to be reasonably accurate.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8211739/Farce-banks-coronavirus-crisis-loans-just-5-000-businesses.html

We still don't have anything agreed and an actual CBIL doesn't appear to be on the table, but to be fair to them there have been a lot changes for us since the process first started.

We secured an order for 4000 metal storage trolleys going into NHS Nightingale. The first 250 went in on Friday and the remainder are to be delivered through the rest of the month. That was our biggest ever single order.......

Until we found out that one of our Chinese suppliers has a huge amount of PPE available for sale. We have an operation in the USA and things moved very quickly and we now have a 747 full of PPE being delivered to the USA government on Thursday.

Further to this, I can get a lot more and even 2000 ventilators but I believe the pricing on these is hugely inflated so I have made offers to NHS & Bupa.

Crazy times compared to wondering if the business would make it through the year 2 weeks ago.

Hey All

But what is more unbelievable is we offered the same service to the NHS two weeks ago...... nothing.

A week ago we spoke to Nicky Morgan who but us directly in touch with Matt Hancock.
He passed us on to the cabinet team in charge of sourcing PPE. We were a priority offer for review as we had access to gowns. A week later we have submitted spec sheets but they've ordered nothing.

Hi Stu, I presume this means that the quality-control problems that we discussed a few years ago have all been overcome.

Might they be a reason for some people being hesitant to purchase Chinese goods?

Great achievement for you and especially for your company's wellbeing.

Hi Ralph

This is very separate to those issues, back then we were talking about the laptop storage units we have manufactured.

I don't think that is the reason, I think it is red tape and inefficiency.

NY were signed off to make GAG orders (guy knows a guy) and pay deposits up front to get what they needed.
People had the authority to make the PO and send millions of dollars over a weekend.

Just never going to get the same thing signed off here, even though the need is just as urgent.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: April 25, 2020, 05:22:53 PM »

Hey All

Wow, that’s amazing and really good news that NY state have been well organised in processing the orders. Great news if it means the business doing well again, I’m pleased to hear it👍.

Yes, certainly led to a few different conversations with the bank!

Been great to help NY as the lady I own the business with lives in Brooklyn.
The Chinese supplier donated 100k masks to help and all the pallets were marked up with China and US flags. Will try and post a pic tomorrow.

Just frustrating that we can't get a few shipments coming here.

Few images as promised

How much to charter a 747? Has to be north of £100k? 
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 25, 2020, 06:11:47 PM »

Meanwhile Allison Pearson and by extension The Telegraph have seamlessly made the transition from laughably stupid to dangerously stupid. It’s unpleasant and unnecessary when the mob get stuck in but her replies do reveal that she is a long way from the sharpest tool in the box.

https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1253978830177480705?s=21

Her angle into it probably isn’t the best route but some of the points she is making are valid.
Completely locking away the old & vulnerable & letting young & healthy get on with life with some restrictions doesn’t seem a completely stupid concept to me.

I will dig it out later but I've just read a cracking article on my phone, from the Washington Post, about a scary number of asymptomatic patients in their 30s/40s who are completely asymptomatic for COVID, but having a severe sudden stroke. All testing positive for COVID when brought in to the hospital.

Dont think the young & healthy are as clear as they believe they are just yet, due to the dangerous lack of knowledge around this disease.

ETA -two articles. The first - https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/22/coronavirus-blood-clots/ is about blood clotting as a whole and COVID-19. The second, which is the one referenced above, is https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 06:14:33 PM by KarmaDope » Logged
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: April 25, 2020, 06:49:57 PM »

Hey All

Incredible. Nice one, a brilliant story and turn round for you and your company.

After all the song and dance about the 747 from Turkey to the UK last week and 1st hand accounts of the PPE issues from 2 of my doctor contacts, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the UK weren't able to benefit here despite your efforts.

What do you think the reasons are? Cost, spec, inefficiency or something else?

Has to be inefficiency.

NHS via their portal have not come back asking for specs, just have not responded full stop
Cabinet office are still checking specs, they have come back for clarification on one item, we haven't even started to discuss pricing yet

I have a quote in to the NHS via a different route and I believe they are happy with the pricing, and are trying to action it faster.

Fascinating - cheers.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 25, 2020, 07:26:11 PM »

Dont think the young & healthy are as clear as they believe they are just yet, due to the dangerous lack of knowledge around this disease.

I don't think most young people think they are immune from Covid-19, just much lower risk.

Data is very fluid at this point, & very little is scientifically accurate, but using what there is - China was reporting a death rate of <0.5% in under 50's, Italy has about 1% of deaths accounted for by people under 50, & New York published data a week or so ago stating about 4.5% of deaths were under 45.

There is probably more accurate / recent stuff out there but pretty much all of it weights overwhelmingly to older people are the at risk group.

The media highlight cases of people in lower age ranges dying, which may make it seem there are more cases than there are, but I guess it gets more clicks than stories of 85 year olds not making it.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: April 25, 2020, 07:35:12 PM »

My specific interest as to how easing lockdown takes into account age groups comes from having a mum who is 81 & lives on her own.

Took me 2 weeks to convince her to stay at home (got there about 1 week before lockdown), & since then virtually the only person she has had a face to face conversation with is me, when I deliver her shopping once a week - don't go in the house, talk from a safe distance.

She has been very good about it to this point, but is getting frustrated & can't wait to get out & about.
If restrictions started to ease but there was a different set of rules for her age group she would be furious and possibly rebellious.
However, I really think it's a bad idea for an 81-y-o to be mixing in the community any time soon.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 25, 2020, 07:47:15 PM »

My specific interest as to how easing lockdown takes into account age groups comes from having a mum who is 81 & lives on her own.

Took me 2 weeks to convince her to stay at home (got there about 1 week before lockdown), & since then virtually the only person she has had a face to face conversation with is me, when I deliver her shopping once a week - don't go in the house, talk from a safe distance.

She has been very good about it to this point, but is getting frustrated & can't wait to get out & about.
If restrictions started to ease but there was a different set of rules for her age group she would be furious and possibly rebellious.
However, I really think it's a bad idea for an 81-y-o to be mixing in the community any time soon.

Out of interest, do you think your mum absorbs how serious it is - not questioning her faculties or anything like that, more a generational thing. My mum is 78, my brother goes at least weekly and I've been a couple of times since lockdown to drop things - stay for 5 mins, she can't move easily so I do go in but stay a distance away.

She's perfectly competent etc but extremely nonchalant about the whole thing and doesn't really have much obvious sympathy with why everyone else is taking it so seriously

sola virtus nobilitat
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: April 25, 2020, 08:39:34 PM »

People aren't one thing

Incred saying. Am defo gonna use that in future. Your sayings have come on leaps and bounds...

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: April 25, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »

Out of interest, do you think your mum absorbs how serious it is - not questioning her faculties or anything like that, more a generational thing. My mum is 78, my brother goes at least weekly and I've been a couple of times since lockdown to drop things - stay for 5 mins, she can't move easily so I do go in but stay a distance away.

She's perfectly competent etc but extremely nonchalant about the whole thing and doesn't really have much obvious sympathy with why everyone else is taking it so seriously

Hope you don’t mind me butting in ?
 Denises mum 86 soon ,flatly refuses to be told to isolate ,her sons round almost daily ,she walks to the shop despite her elderly neighbour shopping for her , only doesn't go to bingo As it’s closed and her sister has v bad COPD ,we’ve visited and sit outside but she wants to carry on as normal ,she normally goes on local buses in every direction ,as it kills time as she says But has stopped that at least but she’s champing at the bit to get out ,she was bussing to Tesco today but her son turned up ,so he gave her a lift but on seeing the queue she came home .

My dad 86 last week has been at home for 6 weeks now ,quite happily gardening and me n my local sister deliver food n shopping . Since mum died he seems fine about It all ,  almost glad of the peace And quiet

jakally

View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: April 25, 2020, 09:38:03 PM »

Out of interest, do you think your mum absorbs how serious it is - not questioning her faculties or anything like that, more a generational thing.

Yes, I think she does. Once Italy's situation became apparent, & there was decent age data from there she knuckled down.
Before that it was, 'If I get it, I get it!'.

There will come a point, if it goes on for much longer, when she takes the line 'at my time of life...'.
I think that perspective will be common throughout that generation, & will make extended enforcement of a purple-rinse only lockdown almost impossible.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: April 25, 2020, 09:50:45 PM »

I don't think most young people think they are immune from Covid-19, just much lower risk.

Data is very fluid at this point, & very little is scientifically accurate, but using what there is - China was reporting a death rate of <0.5% in under 50's, Italy has about 1% of deaths accounted for by people under 50, & New York published data a week or so ago stating about 4.5% of deaths were under 45.

There is probably more accurate / recent stuff out there but pretty much all of it weights overwhelmingly to older people are the at risk group.

The media highlight cases of people in lower age ranges dying, which may make it seem there are more cases than there are, but I guess it gets more clicks than stories of 85 year olds not making it.

I don't think that is accurate, they do have enough data to start making decent conclusions.

This is a nice site

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

8% of people dying in the UK are currently under 60 and 20% are under 70 (from the above site).

The average person who dies of COVID loses 10 years of life (from the actuaries COVID response group)

Whilst the very old are clearly most vulnerable, in terms of mulipliers of their normal mortalty then it is less cleear.  I am a male in my 50s, and I saw something the other day that said that male mortality from Covid is estimated at 2% or so, which if shown to be accurate, is more than double your mortality rate from all other causes combined.  

The media highlights young people dying as it is always a bit more shocking to hear about a young person dying than somebody who has lived into their old age.  I am sure the media have also highlighted some of the old duffers who were my childhood heroes, as well as those who are young.   We/the public just aren't really interested in hearing that somebody who wasn't famous has died in their 80s.

edit.  I think some stats are going to be more reliable than others.  We should be getting a good idea of the age distribution of deaths now (I suspect the average is more likely to go younger from here), but there is still a lot of uncertainty on overall mortality rates as the total number infected in the UK is still unclear.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:18:24 PM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: April 25, 2020, 09:51:19 PM »

Hey All

Wow, that’s amazing and really good news that NY state have been well organised in processing the orders. Great news if it means the business doing well again, I’m pleased to hear it👍.

Yes, certainly led to a few different conversations with the bank!

Been great to help NY as the lady I own the business with lives in Brooklyn.
The Chinese supplier donated 100k masks to help and all the pallets were marked up with China and US flags. Will try and post a pic tomorrow.

Just frustrating that we can't get a few shipments coming here.

Few images as promised

How much to charter a 747? Has to be north of £100k? 

No idea how much it is normally. Everything is through the roof.

$1.35m last week
$1.65m in May

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1709 on: April 25, 2020, 10:16:14 PM »

People aren't one thing

Incred saying. Am defo gonna use that in future. Your sayings have come on leaps and bounds...

Hence the expression, fat tosser.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: