blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353854 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2020, 01:50:28 PM »

Thinking of cancelling my Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia trip.

What does everyone think?

What is the travel-agent saying Tom?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2020, 02:05:05 PM »

There is no travel agent Ralph, we booked it all online.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2020, 02:28:00 PM »

It is up to you, but...

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200226-sitrep-37-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=6126c0a4_4

Number of confirmed cases

Viet Nam 16
Cambodia 1
Thailand 40

There are no confirmed deaths in any of the countries

There is likely to be more under-reporting in those countries than here, but is Thailand today going to be worse than the UK in a week?  It feels like a flip at best that we have 40+ cases by next week.  It is a similar worry I have with all these schools closing now; if they close them now how can they open them when the risk is likely to be much higher in a month's time? 

Having been to Thailand, I think the risk of getting killed on the roads is likely to be still way higher. 

It really is up to you, I'd rather be on a small boat than a cruise liner right now, but don't think anyone will judge you harshly if you change your mind. 

How long is to go now?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2020, 02:30:21 PM »

There is no travel agent Ralph, we booked it all online.

Tough decision if you have no chance of a refund, although hhyftr the man city fan who just came back from The Phillipines reckons you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:32:35 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »

It is up to you, but...

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200226-sitrep-37-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=6126c0a4_4

Viet Nam 16
Cambodia 1
Thailand 40

There is likely to be more under-reporting in those countries than here, but is Thailand today going to be worse than the UK in a week?  It feels like a flip at best that we have 40+ cases by next week.  It is a similar worry I have with all these schools closing now; if they close them now how can they open them when the risk is likely to be much higher in a month's time? 

Having been to Thailand, I think the risk of getting killed on the roads is likely to be still way higher. 

It really is up to you, I'd rather be on a small boat than a cruise liner right now, but don't think anyone will judge you harshly if you change your mind. 

How long is to go now?

About a fortnight, we will be away for 3 weeks though and a lot can happen in that time.

I do have some lung fibrosis already, which I suppose would make me more vulnerable if I did catch anything, but it's not just about the risk of disease, it's about the effect the situation will have on the enjoyability, if that makes sense.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2020, 02:54:35 PM »

It is up to you, but...

Viet Nam 16
Cambodia 1
Thailand 40

How long is to go now?

About a fortnight, we will be away for 3 weeks though and a lot can happen in that time.

I do have some lung fibrosis already, which I suppose would make me more vulnerable if I did catch anything, but it's not just about the risk of disease, it's about the effect the situation will have on the enjoyability, if that makes sense.

I'd say having some lung fibrosis definitely makes a difference to the risks.  I was trying to woek out if sleep apnoea would, but lung issue would worry me.

I would say that people in the tourist trade will be very pleased to see you, though I guess possible shortages and queues balance that.   If I was younger and healthier I'd say fk it and go.   Really is your decision.   Would it be a postponement or a never to be repeated trip given you are likely to lose quite a bit of money?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »

- The WHO are complete clowns and I do not believe a word that they say.  China's puppets.  Specifically for one, the WHO director, who was paid off and pressured by China to advise against the trade and travel bans that any sane person would have done.

- Trump appears to be more concerned about trying to keep the stock market up than truthful advice and competent measures as he directly correlates it with his chance of re-election.  He won't manage and stocks will be crap until a vaccine comes along.  Everything went up so much last year anyway.  

- IMO Cheltenham is probably 50/50 to actually go ahead now.  However I cannot see how the WSOP, the Olympics and Euro 2020 have any chance of going ahead at this point without a vaccine.  It's incredible that there are Europa League matches going ahead tonight with Italian teams when this is now a pandemic.

- More cases in the UK today (as expected) but this is the strange (and worrying?) part that I don't understand.

Recovered patients testing positive again
Celia Hatton

BBC Asia Pacific Regional Editor

Chinese health officials say that about 14% of people who had the coronavirus but recovered and were discharged from hospital have tested positive for the virus again.

Health officials admit they're still learning about the new coronavirus and how it operates within the human body.

The same phenomenon has been reported in Japan, when a woman in her 40s who had recovered and tested negative for the virus then tested positive more than three weeks later.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:27:21 PM by SuperJez » Logged
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2020, 04:31:13 PM »

I would say you are probably about as likely to get the virus in those countries as in the UK right now. So if you aren't going to get any money back from your trip then you probably should go. However I guess the most important thing is will you enjoy it or will you be stressed and tense?

Is it a motorcycle trip? Or are you travelling on buses/trains? Traveling on public transport will put you in close contact with lots of people, but on the bike seems pretty safe.

One problem you might encounter is that if things progress then one of these countries might close its borders to another one of these countries or enforce a quarantine.

All of the poker I was going to play in Vietnam and Taiwan was cancelled but I was still probably going to go. However now if you travel from Japan or Korea to Taiwan then you have to go in quarantine, so that is the tourism part of my trip messed up aswell. I was able to cancel my flight and get credit with the airline so I just decided to do that in the end.

For you it seems right now you can still do all of your trip, and yes maybe it will be even better because it is less busy.

The problem of course is the uncertainty, how will things change over the next 4-5 weeks? I can understand why you are worried. In times of global uncertainty it is natural to kind of shut up shop a bit, stay with your families and stay at home.
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2020, 05:54:17 PM »

Nick Rust has said this about possible cancellation of Cheltenham

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/horseracing/1247559/Cheltenham-2020-Cheltenham-Festival-cancelled-coronavirus-racing-news

"In terms of potential ramifications for the Festival, any decision that impacts on it taking place will not be a decision that racing makes, but rather the Government"

Regarding the Governments position, Matt Hancock said today

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/coronavirus-news-live-covid19-europe-uk-latest-a4372836.html

"We do want to minimise social and economic disruption subject to keeping people safe.

“Of course that is always going to be a balance. We’re going to be led by the scientific advice into what works.”"
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2020, 06:07:14 PM »

I'd go, and my IS is shot.

Disclaimer - I'm not known for making smart decisions Grin

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2020, 07:20:34 PM »

This is a pretty tough decision. Think I'd probably canvas all my immediate family and go with the consensus if there was one.

sola virtus nobilitat
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »

UK cases now up to 16, first one confirmed in Northern Ireland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51667483
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2020, 07:44:54 PM »

Hi Tom
At this moment I. Time I would say 100% go. I have friends who live there and say a no problem at all at this moment. They actually say it’s great as nice and quiet to get around .
As you know I live in China and we have dealt with this for the last 6 weeks .
I’d invite you here in Shenzhen but it would be a terrible time due to restrictions of  outdoor activities, nothing else .
That’s your only worry in visiting those places is that the major attractions may be closed to the public . The main concern in Asia is group gathering, so they close certain amenities like cinemas  , sports grounds, tourist attractions. etc

Just so you know 2 days ago Hong Kong has extended the closure of schools until 20th April . I expect where iO live in Shenzhen to follow suit. At the moment here, schools are supposed to return on March 16th .

There is going to be so many businesses that will have to  close due to the restrictions which consequently has resulted in no income for most
businesses throughout China . Staff are being asked to take pay cuts, landlords are asking to give rent relief.  Government properties are helping but private landlords don’t give a shit.   
These are sad times for such a beautiful country 

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2020, 07:51:53 PM »

Hi Tom
At this moment I. Time I would say 100% go. I have friends who live there and say a no problem at all at this moment. They actually say it’s great as nice and quiet to get around .
As you know I live in China and we have dealt with this for the last 6 weeks .
I’d invite you here in Shenzhen but it would be a terrible time due to restrictions of  outdoor activities, nothing else .
That’s your only worry in visiting those places is that the major attractions may be closed to the public . The main concern in Asia is group gathering, so they close certain amenities like cinemas  , sports grounds, tourist attractions. etc

Just so you know 2 days ago Hong Kong has extended the closure of schools until 20th April . I expect where iO live in Shenzhen to follow suit. At the moment here, schools are supposed to return on March 16th .

There is going to be so many businesses that will have to  close due to the restrictions which consequently has resulted in no income for most
businesses throughout China . Staff are being asked to take pay cuts, landlords are asking to give rent relief.  Government properties are helping but private landlords don’t give a shit.   
These are sad times for such a beautiful country 

Like bergaroo correctly said , a worry can be quarantine rules by certain countries which can change at any time.
I live I. Possibly the closest Chinese  city to  Hong Kong.  All borders except one  here have been closed and if I go to Hong Kong now from mainland China . I have to do a 14 day quarantine by law.   Even flying from abroad now into China you have to do self imposed 7-14 day quarantine in your own home .   
These will be risks Tom

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2020, 08:56:12 PM »

Thanks Craig. Plenty to think about.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: