blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353792 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: March 19, 2020, 11:14:59 AM »

Schools demand urgent clarification regarding exam results.

Piss off schools, we're trying to prevent people from dying ATM.

The older I get, the better I was.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 19, 2020, 11:31:11 AM »

If we allowed prices to rise without social media mobs shaming people we'd be a lot better off.

Somone is currently directing a hate mob at a corner shop for raising prices. Tenner for toilet roll. If you needed toilet roll that badly you're prepared to pay a tenner, you'd want someone to be charging a tenner in a world where anything less leads to empty shelves.

Let the prices float, and everyone has enough

That's not how the free market works and it's not how the free market is meant to work.

It's been a long time since I did A level economics but iirc, this would be called an externality.

It's an external shock to the market that blows the free market off course - it's the kind of thing that governments should intervene in to 'correct' the pricing mechanism.

A lot of people (particularly Americans) seem to think that the free market means the government don't do anything to interfere but it's things like this (and to prevent monopolies for example) that highlight that the free market doesn't work alone; sometimes it needs help to work properly.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 19, 2020, 12:00:45 PM »

I agree with EP about scaremongering but it’s at least as important not to underestimate the enormity of this. If people are in a position to help someone in a high risk grouping, it would be great if people did what they can to help. It also seems we have an opportunity on this forum to coordinate assistance for forum members if they need it, we have areas of the country with quite close geographical groupings, especially in the East Midlands, with a wide spectrum from very high risk to very low. It’s going to be difficult for a very long time, let’s all do what we can for each other.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 19, 2020, 12:09:10 PM »

Reports coming in of London being under military lockdown by the weekend troops are already being deployed not sure how much truth in this

Laura Kuenssberg: "No 10 says there is 'zero prospect' of a big lockdown of London - as we've been reporting there might be tightening of restrictions but remember that is VERY different from other suggestions of travel bans or the kind of total lockdowns some other countries have pursued"

Guess it's happening then.......

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 19, 2020, 12:11:16 PM »

Popped over to see my neighbours in their mid seventies, they are however very active people and i started by apologising ( how British is that loool ) as i didnt want to offend them by asking if they were ok and if they needed anything to give me a shout as i know they are very capable and able bodied but I felt it was the right thing to do .. they were genuinly touched and thanked me... im deffo going to heaven NAP Smiley

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 19, 2020, 12:22:13 PM »

Reports coming in of London being under military lockdown by the weekend troops are already being deployed not sure how much truth in this

It's bullshit like this that gets people panicking.

Please just stop.

https://www.wibc.com/news/international/uk-considers-partial-lockdown-in-london-and-the-army-may-be-deployed-to-help-enforce-it/

sky and bbc news channels showing troops getting ready to help out

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-zero-prospect-of-restrictions-on-travel-in-and-out-of-london-downing-street-11960212

so they have obviously been reports of a london lock down otherwise reporters wouldnt not be asking officials

my post said there was reports of it and i didn't know how much truth was in the reports 

i think it was a balanced post

do i think the world is about to end NO
do i think alot of people are going to die YES
i am scared YES

will i always post my opinions YES

just because they might be different opinions to other people doesn't make them less valid

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 19, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »

Laura Kuenssberg: "No 10 says there is 'zero prospect' of a big lockdown of London - as we've been reporting there might be tightening of restrictions but remember that is VERY different from other suggestions of travel bans or the kind of total lockdowns some other countries have pursued"

I think it’s certain there will be an almost complete lockdown in London. Let’s think population densities in London vs Lombardy, they have a similar number of people. Lombardy is 24,000 km squared, London is 1600 km squared. Italy has way better respirator provision than we do and far better air quality in that part of Italy vs London. The only positive I can think is average age. I know it annoyed Nirvana but there is good reason to think we will be the worst of any country soon.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 19, 2020, 12:36:32 PM »

Everyone says "don't panic buy food" but it's getting really difficult to get even basics.

The earliest available slots for online supermarket shopping are 2 to 3 weeks away.

Habitually, I go to my local Tesco at 8am each morning & get when I need. This week the queue awaiting opening time at 8am has been round the block, & once inside the shelves are, quite literally, empty. Standing in a queue outside a supermarket every morning is not exactly good social-distancing either.

I've been fairly laid back about the whole thing, & as I live alone I'm used to self isolating, it's my normal lifestyle & I'm completely fine with it. The enormity of it all is dawning on me now & it's seriously scary. And that's before we start worrying about the economic Armageddon that is waiting in the wings.

And if you can manage a "heavy" read, here's a report by Imperial College which scares the life out of me. In the absence of MANTIS I need someone solid & sensible like The Evil Pie,  Dooobs, JonMW or Science Wife to poo poo it to make me feel better.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

I wandered down to my local Asda yesterday afternoon just to see what it was like - didn't really need much but had in mind to get a paper and buy a few ingredients to make fish cakes.

Loads of shelves empty - most fresh fruit and veg gone, not a potato in site, but you could get Leeks Apples - no problem with Parsley so I got some of that.

Nearly all fresh meat gone bar their more expensive steaks but plenty of sausages, bacon, black pudding - just along from there are pies and stuff - quite a few of those and, having switched to comfort eating mode based on the scenes before me I picked up a couple of scotch eggs.

Kipling cakes and biscuits seemed quite plentiful so I picked up a few of those. Got breadcrumbs, frozen mushy peas, frozen fish, frozen prawns. Fortunately I still have a few potatoes here so fishcakes can be made

Most tea and coffee had gone, eggs gone and quite a few other aisles looked pretty empty but tbf, because I can cook a bit, unless they are absolutely empty of everything, like Doobs, we may have to vary what we eat but feels like we'll be alright.

No way am I joining a queue to go to a supermarket at any point (could be famous last words) - I don't have young kids at home so this takes a lot of pressure off the feeling of having to have stuff to provide your family.

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 19, 2020, 12:37:24 PM »

Popped over to see my neighbours in their mid seventies, they are however very active people and i started by apologising ( how British is that loool ) as i didnt want to offend them by asking if they were ok and if they needed anything to give me a shout as i know they are very capable and able bodied but I felt it was the right thing to do .. they were genuinly touched and thanked me... im deffo going to heaven NAP Smiley

Nice job 👍
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 19, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »

Unfortunately I don't see shop shelves getting better for at least a week.

Most people are well stocked up but everyone is going in again to keep 'prepared'.

It has taken me quite a while to convince relatives to eat the meals in their freezer rather than nip out to see what's available and interacting with others.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 19, 2020, 12:40:21 PM »

It's bullshit like this that gets people panicking.

Please just stop.

https://www.wibc.com/news/international/uk-considers-partial-lockdown-in-london-and-the-army-may-be-deployed-to-help-enforce-it/

sky and bbc news channels showing troops getting ready to help out

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-zero-prospect-of-restrictions-on-travel-in-and-out-of-london-downing-street-11960212

so they have obviously been reports of a london lock down otherwise reporters wouldnt not be asking officials

my post said there was reports of it and i didn't know how much truth was in the reports 

i think it was a balanced post

do i think the world is about to end NO
do i think alot of people are going to die YES
i am scared YES

will i always post my opinions YES

just because they might be different opinions to other people doesn't make them less valid

I wouldn't respond in quite the same way but when you say there have been reports - reports from where?

Or was it people on twitter saying there have been reports of it?

The journalists will ask a question if people are talking about it on social media.

My guess is some people saw military people on the roads and jumped to the conclusion (but if there was anything in the slightest bit official let us know)

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 19, 2020, 12:40:40 PM »

I think it’s certain there will be an almost complete lockdown in London. Let’s think population densities in London vs Lombardy, they have a similar number of people. Lombardy is 24,000 km squared, London is 1600 km squared. Italy has way better respirator provision than we do and far better air quality in that part of Italy vs London. The only positive I can think is average age. I know it annoyed Nirvana but there is good reason to think we will be the worst of any country soon.

Doesn't annoy me and even if it did, I'm glad you keep posting your thoughts - hare brained or otherwise :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 19, 2020, 12:43:02 PM »

Think I'll pop to Asda every 3 days and try to make incred meals from whatever leftovers are in the shop at 6pm, will post meal pics to bring happiness to the forum.

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 19, 2020, 12:50:05 PM »

Doesn't annoy me and even if it did, I'm glad you keep posting your thoughts - hare brained or otherwise :-)

That’s cool, I assumed any annoyance would be very low level. The great thing about economics and science compared to politics is that we’ll get much better evidence of whether or not ideas are indeed ‘hare brained’ 😊.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 19, 2020, 12:50:19 PM »

Unfortunately I don't see shop shelves getting better for at least a week.

Most people are well stocked up but everyone is going in again to keep 'prepared'.

It has taken me quite a while to convince relatives to eat the meals in their freezer rather than nip out to see what's available and interacting with others.

i get my weekly delivery on a thursday normally 1 or maybe 2 items unavailable, this week there is about 15 itesm missing. we normally get 6 tins of soup every 2 weeks as it comes 6 for £4 deal, this week its reduced to 3 items so thats cool. things are going to different and difficult for some people. Social distancing is a pain in ass but if keeps me safe then its worthwhile.

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: