blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353862 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 20, 2020, 10:35:08 AM »

It's been reported on the BBC and still is nowhere near official, but Science Wife concurs that all the senior management at her school think the schools are going to be closed until September.

It kind of makes sense. The really important part after Easter are the exams, without the exams it should be relatively easy to catch every one else up when they start a new year.

EDIT: that was from an educational point of view. From an epidemiological point of view closing the schools will cut the net infection rate, the worry was that with key workers being sidelined the net reduction would be trivial whereas the ICU capacity would be non-trivially damaged. Now they think they've worked their way around that then there's no reason to not keep the schools closed as long as there needed. That might be until July or August - but the school year's ending then anway, so hence closed til September.

I think we all know you have a wife now Jon  Cheesy

Trying to keep sources clear Smiley Particularly for the science.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 20, 2020, 10:40:47 AM »

It's been reported on the BBC and still is nowhere near official, but Science Wife concurs that all the senior management at her school think the schools are going to be closed until September.

It kind of makes sense. The really important part after Easter are the exams, without the exams it should be relatively easy to catch every one else up when they start a new year.

EDIT: that was from an educational point of view. From an epidemiological point of view closing the schools will cut the net infection rate, the worry was that with key workers being sidelined the net reduction would be trivial whereas the ICU capacity would be non-trivially damaged. Now they think they've worked their way around that then there's no reason to not keep the schools closed as long as there needed. That might be until July or August - but the school year's ending then anway, so hence closed til September.

He still hasn't told us or presented pictorial evidence as to whether he wore his hat for the wedding.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 20, 2020, 10:42:29 AM »

He might have more than 1 wife
a cooking/cleaning wife
A sexy wife
A  poker wife
A wife to go walking with (because he can)

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 20, 2020, 10:45:43 AM »

He still hasn't told us or presented pictorial evidence as to whether he wore his hat for the wedding.

It has been reported that the hat was retired following the wedding day.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: March 20, 2020, 10:45:54 AM »

I'm a big Science Wife fan, in fact I like all the readers wives.

Please continue to pass on her input.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: March 20, 2020, 11:12:58 AM »

Gentlemen of a ceartain age will remember withe fondness the 'Readers Wives' section of their adult magazines.

Please listen carefully, the lyrics are brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHG91g3A1aI

The older I get, the better I was.
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 20, 2020, 11:13:11 AM »

I think we all know you have a wife now Jon  Cheesy

I'm a big Science Wife fan, in fact I like all the readers wives.

Please continue to pass on her input.

I am now also a big fan of Science Wife!!!!
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 20, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »

If people read the imperial college report, they are suggesting they can push the peak back to June/July, with cases falling off to September.  I think this gives a pretty good estimate of when schools will reopen.  I can't see them reopening schools if 50,000 people are dying a week at peak.  We then need to hope for a vaccine, and better controls in place before a possible second wave

The dates and casualties depend a lot on how well people adhere to the Government advice.   If it does spiral out of control then things could be over sooner with a lot more casualties.  But even then I can't see schools reopening for a few weeks of the summer term.   There are optmistic scenarios where cases flatten and then start falling, but if the restrictions are working...

It is definitely better to assume months rather than weeks.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 20, 2020, 11:36:50 AM »

For anyone who is interested in this from a business point of view, still no news on how to actually access the Business Interruption Loan's promised by the Government.

It is all good making these announcements, but if the actual money isn't available soon it is going to be too late for some companies.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 20, 2020, 11:46:33 AM »

How long did china lock down for ?.. true they are out the other side of it already ?

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
roshambo

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 20, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »

For anyone who is interested in this from a business point of view, still no news on how to actually access the Business Interruption Loan's promised by the Government.

It is all good making these announcements, but if the actual money isn't available soon it is going to be too late for some companies.

Gets released on Monday
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 20, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »

How long did china lock down for ?.. true they are out the other side of it already ?

Middle of January roughly. It’s great that there are no new domestic cases but there’s a long list of reasons why it’s still only the beginning. Less than 1% of their population have been infected. They can enforce a lockdown and cover the economic fall out far better than any other nation. As soon as they lift the lockdown no one well placed to understand seems in any doubt that it will start again exactly as before. All of the Osterholm stuff had this pretty much covered.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 20, 2020, 11:57:31 AM »

Middle of January roughly. It’s great that there are no new domestic cases but there’s a long list of reasons why it’s still only the beginning. Less than 1% of their population have been infected. They can enforce a lockdown and cover the economic fall out far better than any other nation. As soon as they lift the lockdown no one well placed to understand seems in any doubt that it will start again exactly as before. All of the Osterholm stuff had this pretty much covered.

This article seems decent enough. I think it’s a fair prediction that China will lose the smallest percentage of it’s population of any large country.

http:// [url]https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/world/asia/china-coronavirus-zero-infections.amp.html[url]
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 20, 2020, 01:04:51 PM »

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1240723388336877569?s=21

This is concerning.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 20, 2020, 01:07:16 PM »

BBC live news feed

12:56
BREAKING
Restriction to continue ‘most of a year’
Policies to limit the spread of coronavirus would need to be in place for "at least most of a year" to prevent intensive care units being overwhelmed, according to official scientific advice to the government.

The documents, prepared by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said alternating between more and less strict measures could "plausibly be effective at keeping the number of critical care cases within capacity".

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: