blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353834 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: March 24, 2020, 12:50:36 AM »

He gave the public a chance to try doing things sensibly without draconian measures. They had a couple days, and it didn't work. Not going to give him a black mark for that.

All this stuff is the right thing to do, but if you thought austerity was bad we as a country are going to be skint as fk for a decade at least..........anyone bitching about that in a couple of years and blaming it on the Tories is straight up a fking arsehole because there will be those usual pricks doing that.....

Anyone moaning once we get out the otherside of this, wants whipping with a wet towel.

Think there should be some scales for the handouts. I can probably scrape by on 1/2 salary for a few months, and won't hopefully won't need to bother asking for them.

Just sack Vegas off and my 40th trip. Shit happens, and not worth worrying about in the scheme of things.

They will be there spouting their usual bollox mate......I’ll join your towel whipping army, no danger there, can you reserve Kuku’s arse for me to personally whip please? 

40? Call! 

I was bald not long after I left the forces at ~23, lol... What can I say, I had a tough paper round Grin

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 24, 2020, 01:05:21 AM »

Mark, we probably don't know what sensible is until after aall this has finished. But he's seen the figures from around the world and we still had thousands of cases then, add on we are a country of weekenders, he probably should have closed the nation down on Friday imo.

As I said in a previous post, I'm actually impressed with what Boris has done and I despise him. Impressive what he has done with financial support, NHS help and cre for the most vulnerable. Some of the measures are just too slow out of the blocks. The lockdown should, imo, should have come on Friday and we still await help for the self employed

Basically good ideas - Just a little too slow.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 24, 2020, 01:08:03 AM »

This lockdown has come just too late and probably see supermarkets have their busiest day tomorrow. There still needs more to be done because there are still people not getting the message.

I had nipped into town today to get the essentials, the mission to get there and get straight back. Jumped on a almost empty bus and only two people on the lower deck, I didn't want to risk it so I sat upstairs where there was one more person. I sat in the middle, probably 6-8m away. Two women get on, they get on the upper deck too. They get to the top and I assume they're going to sit inbetween the front and the middle, probably 3m+ away from me and the other bloke. Nope, they going and plonk themselves on the sits beside the other bloke.

You get through town and still people don't listen. People are still queuing within 1m or even close of each other.

Shopping completed, back on the bus.

Here we are again, individuals putting themselve in danger. A woman sat bang on the front about 1.5m-2m away from the driver instead of out of harms way in other parts an almost empty bus. 10 people get on and off that bus and all have to walk past her. Stupidity.

Look at over countries, they aren't stockpiling. They are queuing and distancing like heroes. We are not.

I think there is every chance we will face it just as bad, if not worse, as Italy.

Another expert who knows the future......

I do however acknowledge some people being irresponsible pricks.

Hardly. I like some of the stuff Boris has done. But this lockdown should have been implemented at the weekend. That would surely have been the best idea?

You know shit......this was clearly advised by experts in  this field at this specific time......stop pretending you know better you don’t.......
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 24, 2020, 01:12:33 AM »

Mark, we probably don't know what sensible is until after aall this has finished. But he's seen the figures from around the world and we still had thousands of cases then, add on we are a country of weekenders, he probably should have closed the nation down on Friday imo.

As I said in a previous post, I'm actually impressed with what Boris has done and I despise him. Impressive what he has done with financial support, NHS help and cre for the most vulnerable. Some of the measures are just too slow out of the blocks. The lockdown should, imo, should have come on Friday and we still await help for the self employed

We don't, but they are better placed to than us. They thought they could try implementing measures without full lockdown.

After a couple days, that wasn't working, and they have switched to implementing full lockdown. All well and good saying 'should have done that from the start'.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 24, 2020, 06:49:53 AM »

finally some good news for the self employed, which is a relief

80% of net  monthly earnings to be paid , taken as an average from last 3 years

or £2947 whichever is lower

Is this confirmed?

Any links as would like to share if true.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 24, 2020, 06:52:46 AM »

We don't, but they are better placed to than us. They thought they could try implementing measures without full lockdown.

After a couple days, that wasn't working, and they have switched to implementing full lockdown. All well and good saying 'should have done that from the start'.

One thing we did know was that people were going to go to the pub and people were going to be stupid at the weekend.

Brits are going to Brit  Cheesy

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 24, 2020, 07:02:13 AM »

This lockdown has come just too late and probably see supermarkets have their busiest day tomorrow. There still needs more to be done because there are still people not getting the message.

You get through town and still people don't listen. People are still queuing within 1m or even close of each other.

Look at over countries, they aren't stockpiling. They are queuing and distancing like heroes. We are not.

I think there is every chance we will face it just as bad, if not worse, as Italy.

Yes but, the end of your statement is a bit iffy.

Just yesterday there was an article about how every country in Europe is struggling to enforce lockdown measures.

On Sunday just in Brussels they gave out 288 fines for not complying, in France they're using drones to try and get to grips with it; when Italy was in an earlier stage of compulsory lockdown there were many stories of how it was being flouted and pictures of supermarkets with massive crowds just outside the entrance.

Yes they are doing better at not stockpiling but part of the reason why a compulsory lockdown is not something you should jump too quickly into is that the general view is that even if it results in a higher compliance rate it doesn't necessarily give you a statistically significant higher rate.

This does possibly start with the assumption that a higher level of compliance to the requested version than was pretty certainly the case here but, unless you already have an authoritarian state with the means to absolutely control everything, the idea that a lockdown fixes the issue is optimistic at best.

So basically, fingers crossed that this does make a difference and that the gap between request and command in the UK is higher than they would usually expect.

NB: should also note that the non-compliance in Europe is even more stark given they have a stricter form of lockdown as well (such as needing an exemption certificate to show the police if you're outside).

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 24, 2020, 07:48:15 AM »

One thing we did know was that people were going to go to the pub and people were going to be stupid at the weekend.

Brits are going to Brit  Cheesy

The pub thing was stupid. Ask us not to go but allow the pubs to stay open. What possible reason is there for a pub to be open if not for people to visit.

Another thing we should be careful of is to not fall for/build the narrative that these measures have come in because people weren't following the advice. They'll have happened regardless. The plan (and realistically only way it can work) is to stagger these things.

Blue text
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 24, 2020, 08:26:45 AM »

80% of net  monthly earnings to be paid , taken as an average from last 3 years

Source please?
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 24, 2020, 08:48:24 AM »

I've been offered furlough by my employer for 2-3 months until business resumes. I will get the 80% of wages that government is guaranteeing. Interestingly the employer doesn't have to top the rest up to your wages and I don't imagine many are!

I'm in hospitality industry and was 100% getting the tin-tack so snapcalled.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 24, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »

Just very obvious that tightening measures over time is better than instant lock down in terms of getting people to comply. Really got no time for people clamouring for police on the streets, strict enforcement, army, whiffling on about a few days either way.

Easy potential for mass unrest if govt had swiftly locked down in a matter of days. Unlike a lot of Europe and the world we don't have a living memory of living under an authoritarian regime.

sola virtus nobilitat
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: March 24, 2020, 09:44:37 AM »

“On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings by Her Majesty’s men, I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about. Not a care had these rogues for the health of their elders!”

Samuel Pepys Diaries - London 1664

No real change in 2020! We haven’t learnt any lessons from history - when will we ever learn?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 24, 2020, 09:47:12 AM »

80% of net  monthly earnings to be paid , taken as an average from last 3 years

Source please?

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-01/0122/amend/coronavirus_daily_cwh_0320rev.14-18.html

It's just a proposed amenment at this stage.

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/status/1242245581910704132
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:52:04 AM by Longines » Logged
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 24, 2020, 09:50:25 AM »

“On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings by Her Majesty’s men, I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about. Not a care had these rogues for the health of their elders!”

Samuel Pepys Diaries - London 1664

No real change in 2020! We haven’t learnt any lessons from history - when will we ever learn?

I've got a feeling someone has found the Twitter link that Doobs posted earlier in the thread and with great effort attached thyself to the improper end of thy sticke.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 24, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/status/1242385553452150785

Are you self employed and need financial support for to Coronavirus? I've bashed out a rough and ready quick video briefing...

Feel free to share with anyone who needs.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: