blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353906 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: March 27, 2020, 07:04:55 PM »

Messrs Evil and Bopkin. Have to say I'm very impressed with the way you are getting on with this and protecting your employees and companies as best you can. Sure this was never part of any continuity planning you might do. I can't quite imagine the underlying stress this must have caused. Really good luck fellas and hope Yr companies go from strength to strength when things are normalised.

Thanks Glen appreciate that.

We're currently figuring out exactly how the furlough process will work for us.

At the moment our three main clients Nottingham Uni, Nottingham Trent Uni and QMC (local hospital) have said that it's essential works only.

As Stu said you're allowed to travel to work if you can't work from home, our work is site based so we can work no problem at all as long as we obey social distancing guidelines.

Because our clients have chosen to stop all works though I've had to furlough everyone because there is literally nothing for them to do.

The problem we have is that once they're furloughed that's it for 3 weeks, we can't get them back. If one of them wants a little job doing we're going to have to say sorry but you'll have to wait 3 weeks until we have an engineer available.

This isn't a major issue unless there's some kind of emergency that they need doing immediately.

Fun day working this one out.....

It might be time for you to dig out your overalls Matt.

In these desperate times that is actually one of my options. I don't have the full skill set anymore but I could certainly help one of the engineers rather than have to keep an engineer on retainer as well as someone to assist them.

Well on the slightly fraudulent theme started earlier, according to the guidelines if your employee has two jobs they are treated separately and they can be furloughed from both.

On that basis, rather than bring someone back and end their furlough before the three weeks are up, they could find themselves suddenly offered work by Evilpie Electrical as opposed to your actual company. Complete the work for the new company rather than the company they are furloughed from.

NHS have agreed to pay for someone to be on standby instead of furloughed during this period.

For the cynical amongst you (Aaron) I have done this at cost so won't be making a profit just covering my costs the same as if the engineer was furloughed.

Also negotiating with the other main clients to try to get them to split the cost between them and have the engineer available to them all. Chances are he'll be sat in his garden the entire time but they can't take that risk of course.

The main thing for me was being able to continue to offer a service to these clients but I couldn't (wouldn't) do it out of my own pocket.

Everybody wins this one in the end.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 27, 2020, 07:13:38 PM »

Messrs Evil and Bopkin. Have to say I'm very impressed with the way you are getting on with this and protecting your employees and companies as best you can. Sure this was never part of any continuity planning you might do. I can't quite imagine the underlying stress this must have caused. Really good luck fellas and hope Yr companies go from strength to strength when things are normalised.

Thanks Glen appreciate that.

We're currently figuring out exactly how the furlough process will work for us.

At the moment our three main clients Nottingham Uni, Nottingham Trent Uni and QMC (local hospital) have said that it's essential works only.

As Stu said you're allowed to travel to work if you can't work from home, our work is site based so we can work no problem at all as long as we obey social distancing guidelines.

Because our clients have chosen to stop all works though I've had to furlough everyone because there is literally nothing for them to do.

The problem we have is that once they're furloughed that's it for 3 weeks, we can't get them back. If one of them wants a little job doing we're going to have to say sorry but you'll have to wait 3 weeks until we have an engineer available.

This isn't a major issue unless there's some kind of emergency that they need doing immediately.

Fun day working this one out.....

It might be time for you to dig out your overalls Matt.

In these desperate times that is actually one of my options. I don't have the full skill set anymore but I could certainly help one of the engineers rather than have to keep an engineer on retainer as well as someone to assist them.

Well on the slightly fraudulent theme started earlier, according to the guidelines if your employee has two jobs they are treated separately and they can be furloughed from both.

On that basis, rather than bring someone back and end their furlough before the three weeks are up, they could find themselves suddenly offered work by Evilpie Electrical as opposed to your actual company. Complete the work for the new company rather than the company they are furloughed from.

NHS have agreed to pay for someone to be on standby instead of furloughed during this period.

For the cynical amongst you (Aaron) I have done this at cost so won't be making a profit just covering my costs the same as if the engineer was furloughed.

Also negotiating with the other main clients to try to get them to split the cost between them and have the engineer available to them all. Chances are he'll be sat in his garden the entire time but they can't take that risk of course.

The main thing for me was being able to continue to offer a service to these clients but I couldn't (wouldn't) do it out of my own pocket.

Everybody wins this one in the end.

Except Aaron

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 27, 2020, 09:40:53 PM »

+100

Top blokes, and look forward to eventually sharing some beverages once we're allowed out of the country Grin

More likely for me now. I wasn't joining Matt and James in July due to the imminent mini Bopkin, that would have been a push even for me.
November was looking likely for Matt and I, but the way things are going I can imagine that not happening so ......

JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNE 2021

Say what???

Mini-Bopkin - do we know what make this one is?

Congrats to you and Sophie.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 28, 2020, 07:38:24 AM »

Good morning

Seems the government are briefing their journalists that we’re working to an even shorter timescale (given where we are on the curve) than The Donald’s timescale:

https://twitter.com/jgforsyth/status/1243625889000304643?s=21

Some good replies.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 28, 2020, 08:14:43 AM »

Good morning

Seems the government are briefing their journalists that we’re working to an even shorter timescale (given where we are on the curve) than The Donald’s timescale:

Some good replies.

Would be good to see what their source is.

Is it just a leak? Is it an official statement and they've just not said in the tweet? If it was given as an official statement to a group who were told Somerset House rules apply - that would still be useful to know.

Even with reputable sources, they're still journalists. It would be good to know if their source said they "...think it's going to be the week beginning the 12th of April, not mid May..." or if their source said something like "they think it could be as early as the week beginning the 12th of April, not mid May..." because with general journalistic standards it really could be either.

Snippets like this give some information, and some information is better than no information (and both are better than the made up stuff), but it's pretty frustrating because even what sound like definitive statements in these circumstances still require interpretation.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 28, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »

Good morning

Some good replies.

Is it just a leak? Is it an official statement and they've just not said in the tweet? If it was given as an official statement to a group who were told Somerset House rules apply - that would still be useful to know.

Even with reputable sources, they're still journalists. It would be good to know if their source said they "...think it's going to be the week beginning the 12th of April, not mid May..." or if their source said something like "they think it could be as early as the week beginning the 12th of April, not mid May..." because with general journalistic standards it really could be either.

Snippets like this give some information, and some information is better than no information (and both are better than the made up stuff), but it's pretty frustrating because even what sound like definitive statements in these circumstances still require interpretation.

James Forsyth would be as close to Downing Street as any journo, it directly contradicts what the deputy CMO said at 17:20 yesterday evening.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 28, 2020, 08:22:51 AM »

That was mainly a rant about journalistic standards, media interpretation and leaks but the actual data he's said isn't new.

Got it from the Hartlepool Mail
"The country is expected to reach a peak number of cases by Easter, which falls on 12 April, England’s deputy chief medical officer has said."

That was from a couple of days ago though, so this isn't new.

What might be new is that the statement then had the proviso that this was the modelled case if everyone stuck to the social distancing rules.

That tweet might feasibly been connected to a government update that people are sticking the rules and so they're expecting the peak to move towards the optimistic end of the modelling.

What I haven't seen explicitly emphasised by the experts or the government is that modelling like this uses a lot of assumptions and isn't really expected to actually predict the real world - just to give a guidance.

The model might say week beginning 12 April - but if the actual peak was anywhere in April then the modelling is 'pretty much' working.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 28, 2020, 08:24:32 AM »

Good morning

Some good replies.

James Forsyth would be as close to Downing Street as any journo, it directly contradicts what the deputy CMO said at 17:20 yesterday evening.

Given my general disdain for journalistic standards anyway I wouldn't be shocked if he's just tweeting about the 2 day old story and not the up to date facts anyway.

It's got clicks, it's got interaction - it's done what a journalist would want it to do.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 28, 2020, 08:36:57 AM »

Good morning

Some good replies.

Given my general disdain for journalistic standards anyway I wouldn't be shocked if he's just tweeting about the 2 day old story and not the up to date facts anyway.

It's got clicks, it's got interaction - it's done what a journalist would want it to do.

It would assume our lockdown measures to be more effective than China’s (35 days from 10 deaths to peak). According to JBM’s graph China locked down on day 3 post 10 deaths. We don’t have an equivalent lockdown in place, we didn’t even have anything remotely resembling a lockdown until 23rd March. It can’t really be based on anything other than wishful thinking.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 28, 2020, 08:39:52 AM »

If you scroll down the replies far enough, you will find that the source is a Report by researchers (including one at Imperial) tweeted by Jeremy Vine on 26 March.

There are upper & lower estimates of case & death rates by country, and estimated “peak” dates based on assumptions of where we (and other countries) are in the trajectory of the pandemic.

The source is not the govt, but of course all the usual suspects are making that assumption, and that it’s all some coordinated policy with Trump to get us all back to work sooner rather than later.

NB I know Forsyth says it’s the Govt, but I’ve learnt never to take anything a journo says/writes at face value.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:43:01 AM by 4KSuited » Logged
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 28, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »

You should wait and see what happens with our new lockdown before easing it.   The effect of "our" social distancing is uncertain.   The virus may peak a couple of weeks after the new rules were implemented (which I assume is where this comes from), but it may keep on rising for longer, albeit at a slower rate.

There is absolutely no certainty.   As an example, Italy is still on an upward curve despite taking a lot of neasures.  When we see them start reducing we can probably be more hopeful, not now.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 28, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »

If you scroll down the replies far enough, you will find that the source is a Report by researchers (including one at Imperial) tweeted by Jeremy Vine on 26 March.

There are upper & lower estimates of case & death rates by country, and estimated “peak” dates based on assumptions of where we (and other countries) are in the trajectory of the pandemic.

The source is not the govt, but of course all the usual suspects are making that assumption, and that it’s all some coordinated policy with Trump to get us all back to work sooner rather than later.

The government mouthpiece journo literally tweeted. “Government now thinks the peak will be week beginning 12th April, not mid May”, he tweeted it at 19:48 last night, 2.5 hours earlier Jenny Harries who is being informed on a rolling basis by IC modelling said we don’t know when the peak will be. James Forsyth tweeted it when he did because it will be popular with people who identify with Johnson/Trump/Cummings/Fox ‘post truth’ politics.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 28, 2020, 08:50:50 AM »

You should wait and see what happens with our new lockdown before easing it.   The effect of "our" social distancing is uncertain.   The virus may peak a couple of weeks after the new rules were implemented (which I assume is where this comes from), but it may keep on rising for longer, albeit at a slower rate.

There is absolutely no certainty.   As an example, Italy is still on an upward curve despite taking a lot of neasures.  When we see them start reducing we can probably be more hopeful, not now.

Agreed, mostly, we can probably learn more quickly from just looking at Lombardy numbers initially. There is a downward trend in new infections in Lombardy.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 28, 2020, 08:56:43 AM »

The government mouthpiece journo literally tweeted. “Government now thinks the peak will be week beginning 12th April, not mid May”, he tweeted it at 19:48 last night, 2.5 hours earlier Jenny Harries who is being informed on a rolling basis by IC modelling said we don’t know when the peak will be. James Forsyth tweeted it when he did because it will be popular with people who identify with Johnson/Trump/Cummings/Fox ‘post truth’ politics.

The Spectator have been running stories playing this down throughout.   The tweet should be read with that in mind.   Dom Cummings, or whoever, may have said something, it may have had caveats, who knows? 

Whatever happened The Spectator look like they will push the optimistic view.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 28, 2020, 08:58:49 AM »

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said here, but just because Forsyth says “Government now thinks....” doesn’t mean it’s fact. He’s a journalist. If you look at the statisticians chart (sorry but I still haven’t mastered the art of resizing images so they can be uploaded to Blonde), you’ll see that it’s one of a range of *their* projections. Forsyth has simply picked one out and attributed it to what the Government thinks. Standard lazy, inaccurate reporting.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: