blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 354026 times)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: April 03, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »

Good to see Sturgeon doing the responsible thing and rubbishing Hancock’s claim about the 12th April being the likely U.K. peak.

Have they ever said that the 12th April is the "likely" peak.

The times I've seen it mentioned they've said that the modelling would put the peak at Easter; and they've said that with the measures in place they'd hope to see the rate of infections followed by the deaths go down - and following on from when the restrictions were put in place and incubation periods, infectivity etc that would make the peak around the 12th if everyone follows the measures.

But I don't think I've heard them say outright that the peak is going to be the 12th April - they've always followed up with this is what we're looking at, if everybody follows the measures and we're going to look at it to see how closely it's tracking to it.

I haven't followed every press relief or briefing though so there's obviously a chance they've made a definitive statement at some point; today - for example - has he outright said "we think the peak will be the 12th April"

Just in the last hour. Sky News said “is 12th April the likely peak”, he said “I wouldn’t steer you away from that” Noteworthily lacking in any clarity and whilst we can accept its something that is entirely unknown, he still should be able to do better than that. Sturgeon said moments later, that there was “no evidence” that she had seen “that the peak would be that soon”. Overall I think Hancock has done OK media wise, not so much today.

The messaging on Nightingale is confused as well. It’s 500, not 4000. The key bit of information in terms of it being ‘open’ is surely when it is receiving patients, can’t find any info on this.

Apologies if this comes across as very negative, not really having a good 24 hours in terms of the uncertainty over my treatment. Having a bit of a vent on the forum, like the old days.

I think Hancock did really well last night; way better than any other Conservative politician that they have put up.   

I don't think the date matters, they really need to be hopeful that they can get on top and make the deaths fall.  If this happens, 12 April feels like as good an approximate date as any.  Maybe he could have done better on particular questions, but he hasn't been nearly as evasive as the others. 

I don't know how you can really be critical of the Nightingale hospital in London, we don't really know how big a part the Conservatives played, but it is very impressive regardless.  They are building others elsewhere too.

Maybe they should keep Boris away even after he gets better?  Hancock's got this.

I think Hancock has been fine in at the pressers, definitely the best. It does look like someone has told him to be more expressive with his hands arms, it’s so cringeworthy atm but we certainly shouldn’t hold that against him.

The April 12th message is just unwise at this stage imo, because there will be people who will read that as it’s nearly over. I could easily imagine influencing poorer (to an unknown extent) adherence to the lockdown.

His response was

"I defer to the scientists on the exact predictions, I'm not going to steer you away from that. That is one perfectly possible outcome."

To me that sounds like quite a long way away from a definitive statement.

If the message that it's if people stick to the measures and that it's an estimate isn't being portrayed to the general public I would have thought that's more of a failure of journalism than of political statement.

I chose my words in relaying it poorly but I certainly didn’t suggest there was anything resembling a ‘definitive statement’. Even the Donald seems to have realised that playing this down in any way won’t be helpful. What’s more likely is that the lockdown will need to be made far more stringent and wide reaching by (or before) April 12.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 03, 2020, 04:05:46 PM »

That isn't a mischievous enough way to portray it though.

My intent definitely isn’t mischief. Must be 30 years since I was accused of mischief 😊. I’m thinking more along these lines:

https://twitter.com/holliepoetry/status/1245839139054014465?s=21

and these:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_MfQ9FloE

Of course it’s mischief!  Cheesy
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 03, 2020, 04:10:20 PM »

My intent definitely isn’t mischief. Must be 30 years since I was accused of mischief 😊. I’m thinking more along these lines:

and these:

"Tories cheering when they voted to block a pay rise for Nurses In 2017" is the name of the youtube video - not that they were voting to block a payrise for Nurses; which would be a weirdly specific amendment.

They were voting to block lifting the cap on public sector pay that was introduced as an austerity measure; that would have meant a wholesale pay rise for every single public sector worker.

Instead the government - in the same year as that vote - lifted the pay cap for individual parts of the public sector.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 03, 2020, 04:27:54 PM »

and these:

"Tories cheering when they voted to block a pay rise for Nurses In 2017" is the name of the youtube video - not that they were voting to block a payrise for Nurses; which would be a weirdly specific amendment.

They were voting to block lifting the cap on public sector pay that was introduced as an austerity measure; that would have meant a wholesale pay rise for every single public sector worker.

Instead the government - in the same year as that vote - lifted the pay cap for individual parts of the public sector.

At the time, it was a de facto block on a pay rise for nurses in 2017. The decimation of the public sector since 2011 is hugely regrettable and is obviously felt quite keenly atm. Feel free to ignore me on this stuff though, as I said earlier, just having a bad day.

This will be the place for checking the issue that Jamie brought up (excess deaths):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tZdV6aiOh6ZJGwEvbs-lo4uPptezKM4tl7L0F9ye7XE/htmlview
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 03, 2020, 04:40:07 PM »

Hancock back up today.

https://www.sportingindex.com/spread-betting/politics/british/group_b.0547932b-03a9-4627-8c26-27f59deb2c61/boris-daily-briefing-friday-3rd-april-2020

Good weather forecast for Sunday. People planning weekends. "Stay at home" an obvious starting point but wouldn't want to go as high as 7 to buy.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 03, 2020, 05:01:02 PM »

Hancock back up today.

https://www.sportingindex.com/spread-betting/politics/british/group_b.0547932b-03a9-4627-8c26-27f59deb2c61/boris-daily-briefing-friday-3rd-april-2020

Good weather forecast for Sunday. People planning weekends. "Stay at home" an obvious starting point but wouldn't want to go as high as 7 to buy.

I think ‘flatten’ is a buy at 7. I think he’s being told to push the ‘flatten the curve’ line, he went to it a couple of times in the short afternoon interview.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 03, 2020, 05:13:21 PM »

Should have trusted my reads. Up to 6 already. It was always going to be the message of the day.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 03, 2020, 05:13:52 PM »

and these:

At the time, it was a de facto block on a pay rise for nurses in 2017. The decimation of the public sector since 2011 is hugely regrettable and is obviously felt quite keenly atm. Feel free to ignore me on this stuff though, as I said earlier, just having a bad day.

This will be the place for checking the issue that Jamie brought up (excess deaths):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tZdV6aiOh6ZJGwEvbs-lo4uPptezKM4tl7L0F9ye7XE/htmlview

Not meaning to just pick up on stuff but I'm not really understanding why the govt can't make political capital out of this crisis but everyone else can (you're post earlier about the NIGHTINGALE).

Not that I think the gen pop are as stupid as the left generally think. Most people would give credit to the Army, the project leadership, the individuals working at lower rates than normal to build it out ahead of any politician even though it was a good political decision to get ti done and they rightly celebrate the achievement.

In many ways you are a kind of microcosm of a twitter type world view which barely starts to reflect the way the country actually is. Hence still believing political and policy arguments were won despite a heavy defeat. One of us is disconnected from reality.

Watched a good piece the other day with a Swedish epidemiologist talking about how he didn't have any time for any criticism that starts 'should have done it sooner' for obvious reasons if one meditates on it for a second. He wasn't just talking about this crisis but more as a general life principle.

sola virtus nobilitat
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 03, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »

Saw someone saying about NHS Nightingale numbers and opening.

We have verbal confirmation of an order for 4000 medical trolleys.
250 next week, 250 the following week and 3500 by the end of the month.
We have been told that is in line with 'requirements'.

In other news after waiting a week to speak to the bank, they have sent me away to rework the numbers.
Followed by presentation to a credit forum on Tuesday, if positive, application in by the end of the week.
Might have a decision w/c 13th April.

I realise our requirements will be higher than some, but still a real mismatch between the Government stance, the published procedures and products available and the actual reality.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 03, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »

Watched a good piece the other day with a Swedish epidemiologist talking about how he didn't have any time for any criticism that starts 'should have done it sooner' for obvious reasons if one meditates on it for a second. He wasn't just talking about this crisis but more as a general life principle.

Sounds like a very wise man.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 03, 2020, 05:49:13 PM »

and these:

Not meaning to just pick up on stuff but I'm not really understanding why the govt can't make political capital out of this crisis but everyone else can (you're post earlier about the NIGHTINGALE).

Not that I think the gen pop are as stupid as the left generally think. Most people would give credit to the Army, the project leadership, the individuals working at lower rates than normal to build it out ahead of any politician even though it was a good political decision to get ti done and they rightly celebrate the achievement.

In many ways you are a kind of microcosm of a twitter type world view which barely starts to reflect the way the country actually is. Hence still believing political and policy arguments were won despite a heavy defeat. One of us is disconnected from reality.

On the end part, it very much started as a case of ‘should be doing it now’ (for a quite a long time and still to some extent now), rather than ‘should have done it sooner‘.

Political and policy arguments, regarding what would most benefit society, don’t get won or lost at the ballot box. We might experience reality differently but I’ve never seen evidence that either of us is disconnected from it.

Best press conference I think, JVT is an excellent addition and very solid again from Hancock. Terrible read from me on the SpIn bingo, ‘flatten’ is much more a Boris type thing.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 03, 2020, 06:08:32 PM »

and these:

On the end part, it very much started as a case of ‘should be doing it now’ (for a quite a long time and still to some extent now), rather than ‘should have done it sooner‘.

Political and policy arguments, regarding what would most benefit society, don’t get won or lost at the ballot box. We might experience reality differently but I’ve never seen evidence that either of us is disconnected from it.

Best press conference I think, JVT is an excellent addition and very solid again from Hancock. Terrible read from me on the SpIn bingo, ‘flatten’ is much more a Boris type thing.

In terms of the ‘political capital’, I guess there is a difference between what I wrote and what I meant, which I hadn’t thought about until you mentioned it. They should be allowed to try and make political capital out of if they want to but they should be roundly ridiculed and criticised for doing so, having spent the best part of 10 years running the NHS in to the ground.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 03, 2020, 06:56:40 PM »

Like what?

I remember arguments about whether we should be in full lockdown - but that was on the way (it may have arrived sooner than the government anticipated in fact because less people than expected were voluntarily abiding by social distancing rules).
Also arguments about whether schools should be closed - but that was clearly and obviously on the way (I don't think anybody, at least in education were surprised at the timing of that announcement)
They kind of bypassed the idea of banning large assemblies as we went to full lockdown - but that was in line with the Imperial research which suggested that it was so insignificant without the other measures that it wasn't even worth graphing.
There's an ongoing disagreement about masks - and, even more than large assemblies, you might get opposing experts who don't agree with the governments advice, but you can see where the governement expert advice is.

There are some other measures that other countries have done, but they're primarily about enforcement rather than actual containment measures.

What do you think the measures they should be doing now are?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 03, 2020, 07:06:57 PM »

Is clapping the NHS every evening now - or just on certain days?

In my small block of 40 flats in Nottingham there must have been a 60/70% turnout last evening - quite emotional it was too. Cry

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 03, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »

Is clapping the NHS every evening now - or just on certain days?

In my small block of 40 flats in Nottingham there must have been a 60/70% turnout last evening - quite emotional it was too. Cry

just Thursdays

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: