blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:44:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 358379 times)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: May 02, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »

They're all dishonest, but you seem to have a special affinity for anything the current gov do.

I'm not a Tory, but it even gets tiresome for me Cheesy

I thought that the fact that they missed their target and lied about it would merit discussion, no worries if that’s not the consensus view. You don’t seemed so worried when Trump is criticised for doing it.

The only people fretting about whether or not 100,000 tests were done on Thursday are those who want to make political or personal capital from it. It makes sense for each side to fudge the numbers in some way or another, but for most of us the fact that we are now testing at a rate that is close to 100,000 a day is impressive in itself.

Every single Conservative MP that I follow is tweeting about it. There’s absolutely no fudging at all needed to see that they missed it by a very long way.

Why are you following Conservative MPs on twitter?

I try to choose political people to follow as widely on the political spectrum as I can. I also choose people who are relevant to the current issues. I prefer (in general) to hear views that disagree with my own. I also quite like a few of them on a human level.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: May 02, 2020, 10:39:09 AM »

I tend to just follow people I like and people related to areas I'm interested in. I don't see twitter as being a reliable source of news so I've never really seen the point of following anyone i don't like.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: May 02, 2020, 10:42:53 AM »

And as I alluded to before the 100,000 doesn't mean anything.

It's not quite as random a figure as Blairs 50% should go to university but it still never related to any diagnostic standard or capability.

If the government had said we aim to reach 80,000 a day by the end of April does anybody think the government critics would be saying well done at this point?

Nobody (that I’m aware of) minds that they missed it and as an arbitrary number it is irrelevant. They should still be condemned for lying about hitting it and the media shouldn’t be reporting that they did hit it.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: May 02, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »

I tend to just follow people I like and people related to areas I'm interested in. I don't see twitter as being a reliable source of news so I've never really seen the point of following anyone i don't like.

It’s not news but if you think they’re responsible for their own feeds, then it’s interesting. I don’t see any downside in following Gove, Cleverly, Lord Finkelstein, Rees-Mogg etc. It also helps to filter out any of the pricks on your side of the discussion, anyone who trolls a Tory is gone. Alan Clark, as an interesting person and Ken Clarke, as a principled person, are two of my favourite MP’s in some ways. I don’t tend to like or dislike people based on their political affiliation.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: May 02, 2020, 12:14:42 PM »

I find that extraordinary. The political people I follow in the US are virtually all Republicans. Their views are abhorrent to me, but I just find them a lot more interesting (and a good source of stuff that’s going on). For similar reasons I follow some right-wing politicians here, as I find them interesting (even if their views are obnoxious). I’d find it really boring to just follow people I like or agree with.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: May 02, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »

I find that extraordinary. The political people I follow in the US are virtually all Republicans. Their views are abhorrent to me, but I just find them a lot more interesting (and a good source of stuff that’s going on). For similar reasons I follow some right-wing politicians here, as I find them interesting (even if their views are obnoxious). I’d find it really boring to just follow people I like or agree with.

I’ve just realised that I follow hardly anyone who I agree with. Maybe I’m the one with the problem. To be fair, a lot of the people I agree with are quite boring in comparison with right-wingers, many of whom just seem to let whatever they think of all come out without filtering, which I find a lot more fun to observe.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 02, 2020, 07:47:29 PM »

I’ve just realised that I follow hardly anyone who I agree with. Maybe I’m the one with the problem. To be fair, a lot of the people I agree with are quite boring in comparison with right-wingers, many of whom just seem to let whatever they think of all come out without filtering, which I find a lot more fun to observe.

I hadn't overly thought about it. I just had a quick look at how the people I follow on twitter is broken down.

I follow about a 100 people, over a third of them are related to publishing in some way (writers, publishers, editors, agents). About a fifth are people I know/met through poker.

There are a couple of dozen random celebrities/sports people/singers/bake off contestants plus about a dozen from organisations I buy from.

Plus a few bits and bobs like the supreme Court.

I don't think I ever considered twitter as a source for proper news so I've just added accounts I'm interested in (and occasionally deleted ones that bore me)

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 02, 2020, 11:06:05 PM »

By the way if people are still questioning why there would be any downside to the government saying we should be wearing masks while all the lockdown and social distancing rules are in place.

This was a post on a facebook group for a village near where I live:
We encountered a lady in the co op in Cranbrook who was ignoring all one way,when we challenged her she replied she was wearing a mask so that made her exempt from rules

Generally the reason why wearing masks might make people worse than not wearing them at all would be a little bit less direct - but that kind of behaviour (as well as the subtler stuff), that's the reason why wearing masks won't necessarily make things better.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 02, 2020, 11:06:23 PM »

I hadn't overly thought about it. I just had a quick look at how the people I follow on twitter is broken down.

I follow about a 100 people, over a third of them are related to publishing in some way (writers, publishers, editors, agents). About a fifth are people I know/met through poker.

There are a couple of dozen random celebrities/sports people/singers/bake off contestants plus about a dozen from organisations I buy from.

Plus a few bits and bobs like the supreme Court.

I don't think I ever considered twitter as a source for proper news so I've just added accounts I'm interested in (and occasionally deleted ones that bore me)

Just realised I forgot to add Zero politicians. I'm generally not interested in their first person account and opinion. Although I do get a lot from people I do follow retweeting or liking.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 03, 2020, 11:17:56 AM »

Finally something we can all look forward to

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 03, 2020, 01:16:57 PM »

Sad to see the public so out of step with the public mood

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1256898073328041984?s=20

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 03, 2020, 01:39:36 PM »

Finally something we can all look forward to

thats a no from me

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: May 03, 2020, 03:18:46 PM »

Sad to see the public so out of step with the public mood

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1256898073328041984?s=20

Quite enjoyed that.  Gogglebox confuses me, but they seem on point. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 03, 2020, 03:24:29 PM »

polls are polls but there as one out today that i enjoyed

67% thought that the UK was underprepared for the pandemic. 67% being a low number i thought given we rehearsed it in 2018 and then did nothing about the conclusions of the war gaming

61% then said they thought the UK government was handling it well. Which i thought was hugely high.

Not withstanding the complexity of the situation and the unpreparedness in 2018-19 we had January warnings ignored, Cheltenham and Liverpool/Atletico going ahead, Boris happy to shake hands with everyone , two weeks dicking around with herd immunity without a vaccine, going into lockdown late only when Macron threatened to shut the borders, slow build up of testing, no strategy yet for track and trace.....and flying half blind into a potential easing of the lockdown in stages from sometime this month onwards

61% handling it well!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:26:13 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 03, 2020, 05:08:34 PM »

polls are polls but there as one out today that i enjoyed

67% thought that the UK was underprepared for the pandemic. 67% being a low number i thought given we rehearsed it in 2018 and then did nothing about the conclusions of the war gaming

61% then said they thought the UK government was handling it well. Which i thought was hugely high.

Not withstanding the complexity of the situation and the unpreparedness in 2018-19 we had January warnings ignored, Cheltenham and Liverpool/Atletico going ahead, Boris happy to shake hands with everyone , two weeks dicking around with herd immunity without a vaccine, going into lockdown late only when Macron threatened to shut the borders, slow build up of testing, no strategy yet for track and trace.....and flying half blind into a potential easing of the lockdown in stages from sometime this month onwards

61% handling it well!!

Oh no! Kuku has hacked Tighty's account   Grin

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: