blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353685 times)
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: May 24, 2020, 06:39:54 PM »

Because they will never admit any wrong doing.

Blue text
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: May 24, 2020, 06:40:54 PM »

For me, the most troubling day of the Covid-19 crisis so far.

The combination of the behaviour of a member of the government, the reaction of the prime minister, & the time & priority the media have given to this will affect negatively the way a percentage of the population will act in the coming weeks.
The consequences of that are unquantifiable, but it will certainly affect the health of some people.

It appears to me that none of those involved have given that enough consideration.

I really do not like politics.

You can't blame the media for doing their job. This is all on the government.

Blue text
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2447 on: May 24, 2020, 06:42:05 PM »

Seems that this is the issue that will get Blondites taking sides.
We managed to get this far into lockdown having debates about tactics, competencies, death reporting, test targets, international comparisons and much much more. There may have been some moments when it felt like it would boil over, but by and large it’s been debated well. Facts have played their part, along with good analysis of them from Doobs and JonMW.

But now, a trip to the North East to isolate in the security of home territory sends us back to leave v remain. I’m not suggesting that this divides on those lines, nor am I suggesting that it is a political divide, but it is a non-event that is being argued about.

We might as well argue about which end of a boiled egg gets cracked open.*

* (The bigger end obviously)

No reason why we can't debate this in a reasonable and friendly manner.

Don't get mardy just cos you're wrong.

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: May 24, 2020, 06:52:49 PM »

Interesting

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: May 24, 2020, 06:53:28 PM »

The combination of the behaviour of a member of the government, the reaction of the prime minister, & the time & priority the media have given to this will affect negatively the way a percentage of the population will act in the coming weeks.
The consequences of that are unquantifiable, but it will certainly affect the health of some people.

It appears to me that none of those involved have given that enough consideration.

Tbf, you can blame the media for releasing the stories in the sequence they did as it aims deliberately to cause max disruption at this time and plays into the fear Jakally expressed in terms of how some of the people will react to this.

I don't really share that fear as I think that people understand what is safe and what might not be.

OTOH,  they've been quite responsible in sitting on this for some time and waiting until we're emerging from lockdown before releasing it.

sola virtus nobilitat
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: May 24, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »

The reality is that the better the national collective effort with regards to Covid-19, the better chance of any measures in place being effective, & giving us a reduced impact on public health.
Anything that negatively impacts that effort has clear consequences.

Boris, Cummings & the media have all decided how they want to approach this, & all will have played a part in how people now behave.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: May 24, 2020, 06:59:11 PM »

I don't really share that fear as I think that people understand what is safe and what might not be.

How long have you got?
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: May 24, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »

We managed to get this far into lockdown having debates about tactics, competencies, death reporting, test targets, international comparisons and much much more. There may have been some moments when it felt like it would boil over, but by and large it’s been debated well. Facts have played their part, along with good analysis of them from Doobs and JonMW.

But now, a trip to the North East to isolate in the security of home territory sends us back to leave v remain. I’m not suggesting that this divides on those lines, nor am I suggesting that it is a political divide, but it is a non-event that is being argued about.

Haven’t heard the word mardy for many a year. I always thought that was mostly a Northamptonism.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2453 on: May 24, 2020, 07:03:57 PM »

Haven’t heard the word mardy for many a year. I always thought that was mostly a Northamptonism.

Well I suppose they have the most use for it.

The older I get, the better I was.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: May 24, 2020, 07:17:24 PM »

@DPJHodges on twitter

So I'm told this is what happened.
 Cummings goes to the parents to isolate. Very ill. Recovers. Does 14 days.
 Does his daily exercise. Includes trip to Barnard Castle.
 Returns to London
. No two trips.

Rightly or wrongly.....sounds about it.

The obsfucation of the dates when Cummings drove North and went into lockdown / had his tri to Barney suggest to me it was probably on day 12 or 13, when he should still have been in isolation.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: May 24, 2020, 07:19:15 PM »

Incredible waste of questions - the Govt is culpable in a number of areas. Going after someone who wanted to take care of his young child, just to make political capital, especially now we are coming out of lockdown, seems so small minded.

Glad I'm always able to see the bigger picture, like Boris.

Hand on heart, do you really believe he drove 250 miles for child-care?

For the family environment and support, yes, obv

More importantly, who am I to judge his motivations - no one's on trial here, nothing illegal happened, people need to grow up and stop judging everyone around them

come on. It's Trumpian/Animal farm nonsense.

Taking everyone for mugs.

Genuinely, we could have some back and forth about whether some contrition, however fake, might be better than trying at this stage to just tough it out. It wouldn't satisfy anyone though and, purely from my perspective, I am rather fed up of seeing someone get thrown in front of a camera to give some kind of sobby mea culpa. Still, I can get an argument that says it would be the more politic thing to do.

On the main substance, really don't see why it's a resigning matter any more than the Deputy CMO in Scotland 'had' to resign. The SNP didn't think so at first but changed their mind based on press wailing and chucked her under the bus.

I like that someone can be shown loyalty in this position even if a few stark warnings are made behind closed doors - it's what I hope my boss would do.

It's the lies and hypocrisy that piss me off though.

Why can't Boris just say that yes, he made a bit of a balls up but he's had a good talking too and I'm going to give him another chance because he's a great bloke and I need him?

Absolutely agree.

ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: May 24, 2020, 07:40:16 PM »

@DPJHodges on twitter

Returns to London
. No two trips.

The obsfucation of the dates when Cummings drove North and went into lockdown / had his tri to Barney suggest to me it was probably on day 12 or 13, when he should still have been in isolation.

BBC
27 March : Mr Cummings is seen leaving No 10 Downing Street
30 March : No 10 says Mr Cummings is self-isolating with coronavirus symptoms
31 March: Police in Durham are "made aware of reports that an individual had travelled from London to Durham and was present at an address in the city". Officers "made contact with the owners of that address". It is understood Mr Cummings travelled there between 27 and 31 March

Yes its tight but I guess he could say he self isolted from the 28th March 14 days takes him to 10th April. Visited Barnard Castle 12 April.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: May 24, 2020, 07:47:12 PM »

Boris was always going to dig his heels in.

Big mistake. The public will punish him for it.

Cummings has been less than streetwise given the attention he is bound to attract.

When his wife was ill, he could have looked at the kids himself. When he was ill he could have had help from friends and family in London.

Significant numbers of politicians from all sides seem to lose their common sense when they get some power.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: May 24, 2020, 08:03:36 PM »

@DPJHodges on twitter

Returns to London
. No two trips.

BBC
31 March: Police in Durham are "made aware of reports that an individual had travelled from London to Durham and was present at an address in the city". Officers "made contact with the owners of that address". It is understood Mr Cummings travelled there between 27 and 31 March

Yes its tight but I guess he could say he self isolted from the 28th March 14 days takes him to 10th April. Visited Barnard Castle 12 April.

There has been no official confirmation of the exact date Cummings drove to Durham.

ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: May 24, 2020, 08:06:43 PM »

@DPJHodges on twitter

Returns to London
. No two trips.

BBC

There has been no official confirmation of the exact date Cummings drove to Durham.

True but surely he can still say he started on the 28th? ....isolated in London and car journey before Durham.

Anyway seems The Mirror might have more to say on the "14 days" tomorrow.........
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: