blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:31:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 177 178 [179] 180 181 182 183 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 354040 times)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: May 31, 2020, 03:39:22 PM »

So now vulnerable people being told to get out and about.

This is mad isn't it? Have the government just decided fuck it and double down on ending lockdown and see how it goes?

I'm on the list but meh. Is anyone really still listening to the guidance? Glgl to anyone who still believes in Boris and his pal, Mr Scientiist.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: May 31, 2020, 04:21:51 PM »

This is mad isn't it? Have the government just decided fuck it and double down on ending lockdown and see how it goes?

It’ll be a tough gig for whoever has to explain the scientific rationale behind this today. Most likely option will be to send out a scientist who doesn’t have a specific public health brief I guess.

Hope they don't all drop dead when they walk outside in the atmosphere within a couple of meters of someone - really is chicken licken stuff this.

It would be interesting to know how much additional immunity is conferred by reading The Telegraph 😊. 

The governments own guidance still says this action won’t be safe until Alert Level 1, we’re still at 4. It looks as though they can’t bring themselves to admit how badly this is going (relative to the rest of Europe bar Sweden) so they’re just gonna say we’re now at Level 1, they don’t appear to have anything other than a faint hope that they get lucky 🤞.

Haha, definitely helps so far, I'm notionally vulnerable but I've probably been out something like 5 days out of 7 since lockdown. This isn't about recklessness - it's understanding the science and that being 'out', per se, is not at all threatening to anyone. It is some kind of hysteria that makes people want to lock people inside or indeed, for the locked in to want to stay locked in rather than move about safely

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: May 31, 2020, 04:25:56 PM »

I'm on the list but meh. Is anyone really still listening to the guidance? Glgl to anyone who still believes in Boris and his pal, Mr Scientiist.

Stay in big fella, you'd have no chance

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: May 31, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »

It’ll be a tough gig for whoever has to explain the scientific rationale behind this today. Most likely option will be to send out a scientist who doesn’t have a specific public health brief I guess.

Hope they don't all drop dead when they walk outside in the atmosphere within a couple of meters of someone - really is chicken licken stuff this.

It would be interesting to know how much additional immunity is conferred by reading The Telegraph 😊. 

The governments own guidance still says this action won’t be safe until Alert Level 1, we’re still at 4. It looks as though they can’t bring themselves to admit how badly this is going (relative to the rest of Europe bar Sweden) so they’re just gonna say we’re now at Level 1, they don’t appear to have anything other than a faint hope that they get lucky 🤞.

Haha, definitely helps so far, I'm notionally vulnerable but I've probably been out something like 5 days out of 7 since lockdown. This isn't about recklessness - it's understanding the science and that being 'out', per se, is not at all threatening to anyone. It is some kind of hysteria that makes people want to lock people inside or indeed, for the locked in to want to stay locked in rather than move about safely

Yeah, I partly agree. In lots of circumstances, you can go out with the risk reduced to a level where it isn’t even worth considering. Plenty of people won’t be in a position to take adequate precautions.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: May 31, 2020, 05:40:12 PM »

Plenty of people won’t be in a position to take adequate precautions.

That maybe true - plus you can add in people who do not want to comply with advice.

I worry about the impact of public transport, workplaces & the fact that a lot of people will be now having social contact in homes that aren't theirs.

Compared to early March, even with lockdown easing, we are in a much better place to control transmission.
Better educated public, social distancing, more people working from home, hospitality still closed, most shops not yet reopened, new workplace rules, old & vulnerable still largely locked away, care homes better managed, & no mass gatherings.

There is some possibility that the strategy will fail, but still a fair chance it's a decent way forward.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: May 31, 2020, 08:11:57 PM »

That maybe true - plus you can add in people who do not want to comply with advice.

I worry about the impact of public transport, workplaces & the fact that a lot of people will be now having social contact in homes that aren't theirs.

Compared to early March, even with lockdown easing, we are in a much better place to control transmission.
Better educated public, social distancing, more people working from home, hospitality still closed, most shops not yet reopened, new workplace rules, old & vulnerable still largely locked away, care homes better managed, & no mass gatherings.

There is some possibility that the strategy will fail, but still a fair chance it's a decent way forward.

You mean not sitting in the pub, playing pool with a single cue and sharing a platter of chicken wings?? 

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: May 31, 2020, 08:26:03 PM »

You mean not sitting in the pub, playing pool with a single cue and sharing a platter of chicken wings?? 

Bring your own cues next time suckers Smiley

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: May 31, 2020, 08:30:09 PM »

Ha

Was just funny remembering back to Gold Cup day, we all knew it was serious but I dont think any of us really had a clue just how serious.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: May 31, 2020, 09:08:51 PM »

Ha

Was just funny remembering back to Gold Cup day, we all knew it was serious but I dont think any of us really had a clue just how serious.

Not our finest moment. Turns out EvilPie was right - well he would've been if he had stayed at home.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: June 01, 2020, 09:50:36 AM »

Good morning

It’s possibly something that’s been misunderstood throughout (in terms of the lockdown), the obligation on most of us is not to avoid catching it (I’d quite like to catch it, before the pubs/restaurants/Lords/spectators at racing/football are allowed, provided that having it gave me immunity*) but to avoid spreading it. Coronavirus is just not a good spot for the ‘I’m alright jack’ mentality, which has always been a defining boundary in the political divide.

* On balance of what we know, it’s likely that you are immune after you’ve had it.

Apologies to the people who don’t think it’s a political issue, we disagree.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: June 01, 2020, 10:21:05 AM »

Good morning

It’s possibly something that’s been misunderstood throughout (in terms of the lockdown), the obligation on most of us is not to avoid catching it (I’d quite like to catch it, before the pubs/restaurants/Lords/spectators at racing/football are allowed, provided that having it gave me immunity*) but to avoid spreading it. Coronavirus is just not a good spot for the ‘I’m alright jack’ mentality, which has always been a defining boundary in the political divide.

* On balance of what we know, it’s likely that you are immune after you’ve had it.

Completely agree with what our primary obligation is. Pretty confident the hardest people to make this message stick with are sub 25 year olds - virtually no risk to them personally, mostly left wing supporting  and will be trying to spread it to kill off older Tories imo

sola virtus nobilitat
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: June 01, 2020, 11:19:14 AM »

Good morning

Completely agree with what our primary obligation is. Pretty confident the hardest people to make this message stick with are sub 25 year olds - virtually no risk to them personally, mostly left wing supporting  and will be trying to spread it to kill off older Tories imo

On a slightly more serious note, aren’t we worried about the lack of social distancing (especially from younger people) ?

I know Kush may say the Government will want to pass the buck if there is a second wave but there really does seem to be a disregard for it.

Looking at scenes from parks, beaches, beauty spots etc, it looks a serious issue to me.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: June 01, 2020, 11:24:56 AM »

Outdoors, I think they should fill their boots. Indoors a reasonable concern I'd say.

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: June 01, 2020, 11:58:57 AM »

Good morning

Completely agree with what our primary obligation is. Pretty confident the hardest people to make this message stick with are sub 25 year olds - virtually no risk to them personally, mostly left wing supporting  and will be trying to spread it to kill off older Tories imo

On a slightly more serious note, aren’t we worried about the lack of social distancing (especially from younger people) ?

I know Kush may say the Government will want to pass the buck if there is a second wave but there really does seem to be a disregard for it.

Looking at scenes from parks, beaches, beauty spots etc, it looks a serious issue to me.

It’s a collective responsibility isn’t it? So let’s all (especially the young, who might for various reasons be higher volume spreaders) be responsible for our own actions. Collective responsibility still needs coherent and unambiguous leadership though, so basically anything other than use “common sense” would have been a better message. I think there’s a powerful argument that some of the messaging has been deliberately ambiguous, you don’t have to be a genius imo, to work out what ‘Stay Alert’ means but it’s still failing some important tests for what constitutes good comms at a critical time in a national crisis.

It would be fascinating to know how old everyone who regularly contributes to the thread is. I think we generally know from stuff we’ve picked up over the years but I wonder I  there’d be any surprises.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 12:23:12 PM by kukushkin88 » Logged
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: June 01, 2020, 12:40:31 PM »

Good morning

Completely agree with what our primary obligation is. Pretty confident the hardest people to make this message stick with are sub 25 year olds - virtually no risk to them personally, mostly left wing supporting  and will be trying to spread it to kill off older Tories imo

It’s a collective responsibility isn’t it? So let’s all (especially the young, who might for various reasons be higher volume spreaders) be responsible for our own actions. Collective responsibility still needs coherent and unambiguous leadership though, so basically anything other than use “common sense” would have been a better message. I think there’s a powerful argument that some of the messaging has been deliberately ambiguous, you don’t have to be a genius imo, to work out what ‘Stay Alert’ means but it’s still failing some important tests for what constitutes good comms at a critical time in a national crisis.

It would be fascinating to know how old everyone who regularly contributes to the thread is. I think we generally know from stuff we’ve picked up over the years but I wonder I  there’d be any surprises.

Whilst you may be right about some of the communication, I think the social distancing 2 metre rules is clear and well known by all.

People just ignore it and the level of blantant disregard has increased massively.

Try walking down a main road and see how many people move to distance. My observation of group gatherings in parks etc is its widely ignored. On Friday I witnessed 2 games of football and a group playing cricket. Distancing genuinely wasn’t a consideration for any of them.

I genuinely don’t get it.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 177 178 [179] 180 181 182 183 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: