blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:43:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 356840 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2925 on: September 09, 2020, 06:11:41 PM »

It's worth nothing today's press conference slides showed Covid infections - but not hospitalisations.

A reminder just how dramatically the goalpost has shifted: lockdown was originally about creating capacity in NHS. We certainly have it. Yet restrictions are being re-upped.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: September 09, 2020, 06:19:31 PM »

It's worth nothing today's press conference slides showed Covid infections - but not hospitalisations.

A reminder just how dramatically the goalpost has shifted: lockdown was originally about creating capacity in NHS. We certainly have it. Yet restrictions are being re-upped.

new cases are largely through the young and healthy mainly workers and school aged and they are picking up smaller doses due to masks and social distancing
problem lies when the young pick up the virus and go visit granny and granddad and dont take proper precautions thats when the hospitalizations d deaths n

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: September 09, 2020, 08:37:02 PM »

Complete bottle job or bigger agenda - where's Kuku when you need him, could do with a borrow of a tinfoil hat.

It's absolute madness, guidance, leadership, consensus and practical thought through steps on how to live (fairly) normally with a pandemic is what's required. Not knee jerk state intervention and legislation.

Totally amazed by how many people still support steps like this and how apathetically we, in the large majority, just go along with this crap. Worse still, the parties running the rest of the UK broadly take the same  anti people approach.

Literally no party I can vote for in the forseeable

sola virtus nobilitat
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: September 10, 2020, 01:15:35 PM »

new cases are largely through the young and healthy mainly workers and school aged and they are picking up smaller doses due to masks and social distancing
problem lies when the young pick up the virus and go visit granny and granddad and dont take proper precautions thats when the hospitalizations d deaths n

Are they visiting Granny though.. i think the average person knows whose vulnerable etc and maybe not go and see granny and give her a big hug... im sure we have figured out how to visit vulnerable people and be safe.

Infection rates are a pointless number and just a tool to justify policy.. we need to know how many of those needed actual treatment.... how many were kept in hospitol and how many died.. I know a couple of people who work in different hospitols and thet say they are basically empty.

It just seems the goverment is running around like a headless chicken trying to appease people with knee jerk over reaction

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: September 10, 2020, 06:26:15 PM »

Are they visiting Granny though.. i think the average person knows whose vulnerable etc and maybe not go and see granny and give her a big hug... im sure we have figured out how to visit vulnerable people and be safe.

Infection rates are a pointless number and just a tool to justify policy.. we need to know how many of those needed actual treatment.... how many were kept in hospitol and how many died.. I know a couple of people who work in different hospitols and thet say they are basically empty.

It just seems the goverment is running around like a headless chicken trying to appease people with knee jerk over reaction

Word

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: September 10, 2020, 10:45:57 PM »

Word

They already publish the hospital numbers and they are available here.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

They are probably more hospital beds full now than there were at peak Covid, just that there are a lot less people with confirmed Covid and significantly less people on ventilated beds. 

Note the data is clearly not complete.  eg in the earlier dates in the tables as some hospital trusts were reporting zeroes and then there is a big jump in cases; and there are still days when a failure to report has resulted in a zero in the table for individual hospitals.  Tthey clearly need to do better 6 months into the pendemic, how hard can it be to just put in yesterday's figure if no data was received, duh.  I could write a macro to clean the data daily in barely any time at all and they have spent bloody fortunes on this*.  Then again a cynic may suggest they have form for understating figures, so maybe this is deliberate?  :/

Even so, it is clear that hospitals are not empty right now.

* and it wasn't like there was a shortage of volunteers to do this kind of stuff for free. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: September 11, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »

Word

They already publish the hospital numbers and they are available here.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

They are probably more hospital beds full now than there were at peak Covid, just that there are a lot less people with confirmed Covid and significantly less people on ventilated beds. 

Note the data is clearly not complete.  eg in the earlier dates in the tables as some hospital trusts were reporting zeroes and then there is a big jump in cases; and there are still days when a failure to report has resulted in a zero in the table for individual hospitals.  Tthey clearly need to do better 6 months into the pendemic, how hard can it be to just put in yesterday's figure if no data was received, duh.  I could write a macro to clean the data daily in barely any time at all and they have spent bloody fortunes on this*.  Then again a cynic may suggest they have form for understating figures, so maybe this is deliberate?  :/

Even so, it is clear that hospitals are not empty right now.

* and it wasn't like there was a shortage of volunteers to do this kind of stuff for free. 

TBF it was more metaphorical than literal and just reporting from people on the ground ( nurse at the Alexander Harlow and patient at the Royal free ) of course we all know how accurate gov figures are but going by that 94K occupied at I think the capacity UK is 170K ?..  patient at Royal Free said there were only 2 people in each of the wards he was in..also he was given a fresh Covid test each time he was moved between wards ?? a five minute trip

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: September 11, 2020, 02:42:56 PM »

From Tuesday, Birmingham, Sandwell and Solihull households will not be allowed to meet other households.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: September 11, 2020, 05:03:35 PM »

Fairly gloomy considering its still September

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: September 11, 2020, 05:59:35 PM »

Wirral will be entering lockdown on Monday it looks.

Local hospitals and infection control making preparations, Google trends for the search terms spiking also.

It's all looking gloomy again as the nights draw in
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: September 11, 2020, 06:34:24 PM »

10 deaths a day.   God knows what will happen to the economy if the deaths get back to 1000+ a day.   If 10m people tested positive for the flu (or any other health issue) but only 10 people a day were dying from it would the same thing be happening?  Numbers in hospitals have hardly changed for weeks either.   Most people who are going to die from this already have.  The Government has never done a better job for scaring the living daylights out of people irrationally.  People are still going to die from this for months or years but at 10 a day its just crazy the out of proportion reaction to this.

Why are just gross positive test results stated and not % of tests taken that are positive?  If we tested 5m people in the next week then obviously positive tests are going to go through the roof.   What am i missing?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:40:36 PM by arbboy » Logged
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: September 11, 2020, 06:57:02 PM »

10 deaths a day.   God knows what will happen to the economy if the deaths get back to 1000+ a day.   If 10m people tested positive for the flu (or any other health issue) but only 10 people a day were dying from it would the same thing be happening?  Numbers in hospitals have hardly changed for weeks either.   Most people who are going to die from this already have.  The Government has never done a better job for scaring the living daylights out of people irrationally.  People are still going to die from this for months or years but at 10 a day its just crazy the out of proportion reaction to this.

Why are just gross positive test results stated and not % of tests taken that are positive?  If we tested 5m people in the next week then obviously positive tests are going to go through the roof.   What am i missing?

The numbers they have been publishing?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: September 11, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54116939

And a study of thousands of people in England found cases doubling every seven to eight days, with a marked rise in the north and among young people.

But officials say there are now worrying signs of infections in the elderly too.

A PHE report says there has been "a particularly steep increase" in positive test results in the over-85s and, in the north west of England, a rise in people from that age group being admitted to hospital.

here lies the problem in my eyes if it remains among the young then the NHS will cope but as soon as it starts spreading among the older more vulnerable people the number in the hospitals and numbers dying are going to go through the roof again
so we need to keep on top of the spread.

Three separate large studies have indicated a widespread resurgence of coronavirus across the UK population. {/quote]

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: September 11, 2020, 09:47:46 PM »

From Tuesday, Birmingham, Sandwell and Solihull households will not be allowed to meet other households.

Not surprised at all. Went to the supermarket tonight for the first time in weeks. This was after the announcement. Bearing in mind that you have to wear a mask unless you have a medical reason...id say about 10% were wearing masks. No social distancing at all.

And these people moan when things like this happen. Ridiculous.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: September 11, 2020, 11:54:06 PM »

Not surprised at all. Went to the supermarket tonight for the first time in weeks. This was after the announcement. Bearing in mind that you have to wear a mask unless you have a medical reason...id say about 10% were wearing masks. No social distancing at all.

And these people moan when things like this happen. Ridiculous.

Really interesting regional difference. I've been to two different supermarkets on a few occasions recently and I'd say the mask wearing was the inverse of this with at last 90% wearing a mask - must be more obedient in 'emel

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: