blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:06:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353974 times)
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: September 25, 2020, 10:08:05 PM »

anyone downloaded the NHS app?

if not why not (out of interest)?

Not yet, but will do at some point

Now in two minds whether to download it or not.
If it told me to isolate I don't think I would as I doubt it is a very reliable system.
It works on Bluetooth and I would assume most people don't have their Bluetooth on all day anyway?
So if I am not going to follow the notifications whats the point?

Surely it's better to have the information than not though?

You might not self isolate but you might be a touch more cautious just in case? Maybe stay off work if it's practical? Maybe not visit your 95 year grandma? The grandma one hypothetical but you get the drift.....

What about at work? Wouldn't you like all of your employees to have the app and stay off work if there was a risk they could cause an outbreak?

If any of my guys were at risk I know I'd rather them stay off for a few days whilst they get a test than risk passing it on and potentially have everyone off for two full weeks.

I'm speaking purely from a business perspective here not from the health side.

No

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: September 25, 2020, 10:39:29 PM »

anyone downloaded the NHS app?

if not why not (out of interest)?

Not yet, but will do at some point

Now in two minds whether to download it or not.
If it told me to isolate I don't think I would as I doubt it is a very reliable system.
It works on Bluetooth and I would assume most people don't have their Bluetooth on all day anyway?
So if I am not going to follow the notifications whats the point?

Surely it's better to have the information than not though?

You might not self isolate but you might be a touch more cautious just in case? Maybe stay off work if it's practical? Maybe not visit your 95 year grandma? The grandma one hypothetical but you get the drift.....

What about at work? Wouldn't you like all of your employees to have the app and stay off work if there was a risk they could cause an outbreak?

If any of my guys were at risk I know I'd rather them stay off for a few days whilst they get a test than risk passing it on and potentially have everyone off for two full weeks.

I'm speaking purely from a business perspective here not from the health side.

No

It was all hypothetical and aimed in general terms.

I realise you personally don't give shit.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: September 26, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »

The students have been hard done by yes?

Hardly surprising that you put 2,000+ 18 year olds in a hall of residence and its a petri dish of transmission

Now being isolated for weeks on end is not the end of the world, but paying fees and rent, in some cases to do so is a bit rough let alone the idea that they'll not be able to go home for xmas

why weren't they all told to stay at home and do online learning for term 1? Because arrangements happened to coincide with August's? "go back to work, eat out to help out, schools are back" mini phase that we had? 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: September 26, 2020, 10:36:23 AM »

A really interesting read and an update on global progress to coming nearer to a vaccine

free to read

https://www.ft.com/content/e5012891-58da-4a4f-8a05-182adf3ba0e2?shareType=nongift

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: September 26, 2020, 10:37:07 AM »

A second lockdown could call last orders on parts of the UK economy

Britain will soon have to weather not only a second lockdown, but the increasingly likely prospect of a no-deal Brexit.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2020/09/second-lockdown-could-call-last-orders-parts-uk-economy

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: September 26, 2020, 10:50:15 AM »

Think it is all going to go pear shaped pretty quickly.

My youngest is coughing, which is no suprise at the time of the year.  I was thinking it was a wet cough yesterday, but today it sounds much more like the covid coughs I heard yesterday, so think the right thing to do is for us all to keep away from others.  Luckily we had a food delivery today.

My eldest is at a school with 2,000 kids and somebody I know has a kid with "a virus".  Probably 10s of other kids in the same boat right now at that school.  

The problem is that my youngest is 8 and getting symptoms off her is hard.   She knows she may have to spend 2 weeks off school if she has Covid so is varying between been inconsistent/evasive and flat out lying!   Her elder sister isn't helping and is borderline threatening to kill her if she has to miss school/not see her mates again (we left schooling a week and a half earlier than everyone else earlier in the year because the youngest got "a virus").   We are going to have a winter of this, and not sure what anyone can do about it.

I think we have a test booked for 1.30, but the website is a bit flakey and I haven't got email confirmation yet.  

Neither school has announced a covid case yet, but with a 300 kid bubble in the secondary school, it feels a matter of time before the eldest is off anyway...

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: September 26, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »

Oh and cases and deaths are still doubling in a week despite the difficulty in getting a test for some.  Hospital admissions were up 3 fold last week.

I hope the optimists are right and it is less severe this time round, because shutting pubs at 10 seems unlikely to cut the growth rate anywhere near enough. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: September 26, 2020, 11:43:18 AM »

Hardly surprising that you put 2,000+ 18 year olds in a hall of residence and its a petri dish of transmission

Now being isolated for weeks on end is not the end of the world, but paying fees and rent, in some cases to do so is a bit rough let alone the idea that they'll not be able to go home for xmas

why weren't they all told to stay at home and do online learning for term 1? Because arrangements happened to coincide with August's? "go back to work, eat out to help out, schools are back" mini phase that we had? 

This whole thing is awful for students. And the reason is probably for exactly as you say.

Blue text
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: September 26, 2020, 01:40:00 PM »

Not sure why students can't be allowed to mix freely, drink together and shag a lot and then reasonably be asked to isolate for 7 days before making a trip home. Hopefully by Xmas. Also be offered a prompt test before travelling.

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: September 26, 2020, 02:56:46 PM »

My youngest is coughing, which is no suprise at the time of the year.  I was thinking it was a wet cough yesterday, but today it sounds much more like the covid coughs I heard yesterday, so think the right thing to do is for us all to keep away from others.  Luckily we had a food delivery today.

My eldest is at a school with 2,000 kids and somebody I know has a kid with "a virus".  Probably 10s of other kids in the same boat right now at that school.  

The problem is that my youngest is 8 and getting symptoms off her is hard.   She knows she may have to spend 2 weeks off school if she has Covid so is varying between been inconsistent/evasive and flat out lying!   Her elder sister isn't helping and is borderline threatening to kill her if she has to miss school/not see her mates again (we left schooling a week and a half earlier than everyone else earlier in the year because the youngest got "a virus").   We are going to have a winter of this, and not sure what anyone can do about it.

I think we have a test booked for 1.30, but the website is a bit flakey and I haven't got email confirmation yet.  

Neither school has announced a covid case yet, but with a 300 kid bubble in the secondary school, it feels a matter of time before the eldest is off anyway...

Make sure you get confirmation before setting off, as a wasted trip can make you grumpy!  Apparently I should have got a QR code and email;   I got neither... 

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: September 26, 2020, 05:42:46 PM »

One of my nieces deferred her uni place for a year due to all the uncertainty. That and the fact my sister in law wasn't prepared to pay out fees and rent costs etc in case this scenario happened
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: September 26, 2020, 05:46:30 PM »

My Son's school is basically ignoring any symptoms that the children display.
He had one child coughing constantly in his class, went to put a mask on and my son got told he would be in isolation/detention if he wore one in class. We just took him out of class for a couple of days.
The school kids are all bunched together, while the teacher stays well away.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: September 26, 2020, 06:35:30 PM »

I don't understand the centrsl london protests

No masks! No social distancing they protest. No lockdowns! Let us live normally

However the more they gather together the more likely further restrictions and less freedom, let alone the risk of transmission to thousands

Its not selfishness i think just outright stupidity.

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: September 26, 2020, 07:12:09 PM »

My Son's school is basically ignoring any symptoms that the children display.
He had one child coughing constantly in his class, went to put a mask on and my son got told he would be in isolation/detention if he wore one in class. We just took him out of class for a couple of days.
The school kids are all bunched together, while the teacher stays well away.

Wow.

Secondary school.they have to wear masks moving around, but they are sat close together in class.   They are all facing the front now.  Youngest Primary scholl they don't wear masks, but we have been told that anyone who wants to wear one can.

We got a test later.  I wouldn't recomend taking an 8 year old who doesn't want a test to a testing centre.  Something that should take 1 minute took 30 due to her stubborness.   Last place I wanted to hang around.  The staff were very supportive, but when she digs her heals in...

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: September 27, 2020, 11:07:07 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UvFhIFzaac&feature=youtu.be

This is an interesting take on Covid.

Always good to look at issues from different perspectives.

I’m not saying he’s right on everything but the point about a tinderbox effect due to much lower death rates in the previous winter isn’t something I’d thought about before.

Apologies if this has been discussed previously.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: