blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 280 [281] 282 283 284 285 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 357633 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4200 on: May 17, 2021, 06:19:03 PM »

Some of these people are just off their nuts, like this Noakes and Farrar.

Opposite side of the coin to Cummins & Toby Young.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: May 17, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »

I hope the recent whacking off about the Indian variant is just another ill conceived ploy to encourage older Asians to get the vaccine but no real intent to change the path we're on.

Obvs based on a personal perspective but much prefer the nutty end of covid denial versus the nutty end that loves covid so much they'd like there to be a rationale to lock down for ever.

If any restrictions are retained from June I'm definitely going on a march or something

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: May 17, 2021, 09:14:34 PM »

I hope the recent whacking off about the Indian variant is just another ill conceived ploy to encourage older Asians to get the vaccine but no real intent to change the path we're on.

Obvs based on a personal perspective but much prefer the nutty end of covid denial versus the nutty end that loves covid so much they'd like there to be a rationale to lock down for ever.

If any restrictions are retained from June I'm definitely going on a march or something

Might March down to Tescos for some vino, but that's about it. You're as much a protester, as I am a poster boy for good diets, lol.

You spend a little while looking at some of their stuff, you might change your mind, but they're both equally irritating.

Mate of mine has gone full fruit loop and told me people like me are the pandemic last night. I only paid my annual subs for my TV system, and told him not to spend it all on Ivermectin  Cheesy

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: May 17, 2021, 09:18:29 PM »

Isn't Noakes on the Cummins side?  

Did you notice Clare Path producung her own letter as evidence that there is evidence for a 40% increase in Covid in the two weeks following vaccination?  

https://twitter.com/ClareCraigPath/status/1393900670118473731

FWIW I think there were issues with the original study because the Danes started vaccinating care homes first, so there was a possibility that the two populations (vaccinated/unvaccinated) in the comparison were different..  and the confidence interval was something like a 2% to 60% increase, so even if the study wasn't flawed, it was barely statistically significant.  But I don't think it matters much anyway because even if there really is a 40% increase in your chance of getting Covid for 2 weeks after your first vaccination, you then have a 70%+ decrease for the rest of the year (and bigger after the 2nd vaccination).

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: May 17, 2021, 09:24:18 PM »

Did you notice Clare Path producung her own letter as evidence that there is evidence for a 40% increase in Covid in the two weeks following vaccination?  

FWIW I think there were issues with the original study because the Danes started vaccinating care homes first, so there was a possibility that the two populations (vaccinated/unvaccinated) in the comparison were different..  and the confidence interval was something like a 2% to 60% increase, so even if the study wasn't flawed, it was barely statistically significant.  But I don't think it matters much anyway because even if there really is a 40% increase in your chance of getting Covid for 2 weeks after your first vaccination, you then have a 70%+ decrease for the rest of the year (and bigger after the 2nd vaccination).

Cathy Noakes is one of the SAGE lot?

As far from Ivor as there could possibly be.

Clare Craig should be going to jail, or at the least struck off.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: May 17, 2021, 09:27:01 PM »

I am not particularly worried about it, and I think they are just covering their arses right now.   They can't really stand up and say it isn't going to be an issue when there is a not insignificant chance it could be.  

Marky posted something from James Ward yesterday, that covered the risks, and there was one I posted from John Burn-Murdoch a couple of days ago.

Cliffs, there is a really good chance we should still be fine without lockdown, but we might not be.  I think it will be clear soon enough given the increasing proportions of that variant that we are seeing.

If the restrictions aren't lifted by June, I will protest by sitting on my arse watching Ascot and the Euros.  Might even have a nice glass of wine.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: May 17, 2021, 09:28:35 PM »

Cathy Noakes is one of the SAGE lot?

As far from Ivor as there could possibly be.

Clare Craig should be going to jail, or at the least struck off.

Too many people called Noakes obv https://twitter.com/proftimnoakes?lang=en

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: May 17, 2021, 09:33:40 PM »

He must be on Nick Hudson's firm, another from SA.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: May 18, 2021, 08:36:53 AM »

I am not particularly worried about it, and I think they are just covering their arses right now.   They can't really stand up and say it isn't going to be an issue when there is a not insignificant chance it could be.  

Marky posted something from James Ward yesterday, that covered the risks, and there was one I posted from John Burn-Murdoch a couple of days ago.

Cliffs, there is a really good chance we should still be fine without lockdown, but we might not be.  I think it will be clear soon enough given the increasing proportions of that variant that we are seeing.

If the restrictions aren't lifted by June, I will protest by sitting on my arse watching Ascot and the Euros.  Might even have a nice glass of wine.  

This is why they're concerned and why some are saying restrictions shouldn't be eased.

But - I agree, I don't think there's anything particularly concerning in the UK.

The big differences are that India's approach to COVID has just been shocking, they started from a higher point than the UK, and India is much further behind with vaccination.

Technically I think the people saying that the government's 4th criteria for easing restrictions hasn't been met are correct, but in practice it seems difficult to think this should really be a concern. There has been a lack of caution sometimes in the past year - particularly in the Autumn - but this seems like an occasion where they don't need to be abundantly cautious.

Time will tell

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: May 18, 2021, 08:58:46 AM »

I think Peston is one of those people promoted beyond his ability, but seems to be always close to Government.  He said last night that the chances of the full lockdown measures been lifted in June was close to nil.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-05-17/covid-likelihood-of-full-lockdown-restrictions-being-lifted-on-june-21-close-to-nil

On an optimistic interpretation, that seems to imply that the Government are still planning some further easing? 

I think there are bound to be some restrictions going forward in some places even if the Government fully opens.  As an example, ny eldest's school is keeping facemasks in communal areas for the next couple of weeks up to half term.  FWIW They say that a lot of the staff aren't fully vaccinated yet, but guess they'll be a lot of progress on that by the time half term ends.  I have read there are issues with parkruns too. 

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: May 18, 2021, 12:03:57 PM »

I saw one of the Twitter shrewds rip that Peston bit apart, saying it was a nonsense.

As such, I didn't even open it and just took their word for it Cheesy

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: May 18, 2021, 01:12:36 PM »

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1394616057172799488

Good news all around  Cool

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: May 18, 2021, 04:17:08 PM »

All this talk of concern about the Indian variant surging isn't really showing in the daily case numbers?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: May 18, 2021, 04:49:01 PM »

All this talk of concern about the Indian variant surging isn't really showing in the daily case numbers?

Click to see full-size image.

Has to be a concern, because the evidence isn't clear as to how much more transmissible it is, and easier to err on the side of caution, even if some muppets like to go bananas with that.

There'll be a bit of a lag, I think. Should hopefully be a bump, rather than a surge.

Doobs will be more able to tell you how far off my summary is, though.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: May 18, 2021, 06:22:37 PM »

Understand it needs to be tracked and makes sense to be open. Pretty clear already that it doesn't evade the efficacy of vaccines.

Unfortunately, transparency equals a rationale for alarm amongst the ninnies.

I'm made of sterner stuff and first placards ready for June 21st. Decided to march left out of my house as if I go right I'll have to go downhill and it's a bugger walking back up again.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 280 [281] 282 283 284 285 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: