blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 302 303 [304] 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353773 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: January 14, 2022, 02:13:40 PM »

Think he has actually got some form of attention seeking disorder now, as he can't put his phone down.

Whoever owns the pubs he manages must wonder wtf is going on, as he's never off Twitter.

Wouldn't surprise me if he has a meltdown when this is over, and all he has left to Tweet is pics of the menu for this Sunday.

Thought he owned the pubs, though that was probably just an assumption? 

Got my first block on Twitter the other day; Allison Pearson rocked up on James Ward's timeline telling him he was wrong and should get better data (when she had messed up her numbers).  Wouldn't have minded if I said something offensive to her, but only said something like she could learn about impartiality from him and that was that.  Had been happily ignoring her for ages.  Wish I'd given her the full Keith Hawkins now, she has been pretty relentless in her love of misinformation over the last couple of years.

I thought so as well, but seen it posted by a few people that they looked into the pubs and they're managed houses. Could be wrong, but wasn't interested enough to delve any further Cheesy

She's a muppet, and right up there with Hartley-Brewer. See her touting Heneghan's latest interview as a 'superb listen', which just about sums her up.

Am not interested enough to find out what she is saying, but does Heneghan only ever appear when cases are going down?   Their 15 minutes will be over soon enough? 

Think we'll all be moving on soon enough, even people like me who do mortality as a day job. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: January 14, 2022, 05:27:24 PM »

They only have guests who have views that align with the viewers, so I imagine they'll be having him on until the clicks start dropping.

Rogan has turned into the biggest global version of Talk Radio around, and only seems to give platforms to people that have a POV that aligns with his, unless it goes that way by accident.

His mental gymnastics when Josh Zepps explains how he is mistaken are painful.

Peer reviewed studies no good.

Vinay Prasad's substack good

'VAERs doesn't say that, so I'm not sure you're right'

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: January 31, 2022, 11:13:41 AM »

Interesting thread from John Burn-Murdoch, with lots of pictures for those like myself Smiley

NEW: our big story as trailed on Friday is a detailed analysis of the critical importance of vaccination in beating Covid

Top-line: if US had matched vaccination coverage of leading European countries, it would have *halved* its Covid hospitalisations

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1488084513829924867

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1488084513829924867.html

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: February 21, 2022, 07:00:04 PM »

I am an actuary and have been mathematically modelling for 30 years.  I am not Woodsey's bloke down the pub.

These type of articles are thouroughly misleading.   There are some scenarios where the death rate is kept to a few thousand and mortality is just like a bad flu epidemic.   If that happens great, and we went too far.  We lost a lot of jobs because we were too cautious.  That isn't so good, but we can celebrate most of us have our health and can resume our lives.

There are a lot of scenarios where this does not happen.   500,000 deaths in a few weeks wasn't some extreme scenario, I looked through the paper and you wouldn't really argue with any of it.  In these scenarios we lose hundreds of thousands of people we didn't need to.    We lose a lot of jobs too as we were too reckless.  We will get on with our lives too, but we lose a lot of people and the economy is trashed anyway. 

It isn't the fact it is new that has caused the reaction, it is the fact it will leave huge numbers of bodies piled up in a very short period.  We can cope with 500,000 deaths over the year, we can't cope with 500,000 extra ones in a month. 

I could go through the article and criticise a lot of it, but am home schooling so don't have the time right now.  But focussing on current death rates is idiotic, really idiotic.  We know what is likely to happen in 2 weeks with inadequate action, we can see Italy and Spain.  We know people don't die the second they are infected, they die 17 days later on average.  We know this lag is there.  We know cases were increasing every 2 or 3 days and it will take a couple of weeks until we can see the effect of the new measures. 

If in a month or so there is a really good outcome, and our NHS isn't overwhelmed, and we discover half the population already has immunity.  We overeacted and we can all go back to booking our holidays and reopening our pubs.  Some businesses that were on the brink already will be lost.  I can look for work again, and my hope to retire a bit before pension age may be tralistic again.   I think that would be a good result in the circumstances, and will be happy we avoided the really bad results.

Some of the assumptions will be shown to be wrong, so what?
I'm totes sold on we're overreacting but tbf, I don't believe there's a climate emergency either

It is a similar thinking.

If you think there is an element of doubt, so there is only a 90% chance that the climate warming had been caused by human action.  

Do you
a) stop burning coal or

b) write an article in the Spectator saying there is a 10% chance this isn't down to us, and tell people assumptions can be wrong, so go build loads of coal powrler stations and go buy yourself big V8 cockmobiles.

Different ways of looking at the same thing, but I'd be firmly trying to do something rather than do nothing.

Is it b) ?

Now we've beaten the pandemic I fancied a brief look back to the beginning of things.

Amused me to find this reference to V8 cockmobiles in a thread I posted in as, last year I bought a V8, 4.2L, XKR

I'm now very long at the front

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: February 21, 2022, 08:32:25 PM »

I am an actuary and have been mathematically modelling for 30 years.  I am not Woodsey's bloke down the pub.

These type of articles are thouroughly misleading.   There are some scenarios where the death rate is kept to a few thousand and mortality is just like a bad flu epidemic.   If that happens great, and we went too far.  We lost a lot of jobs because we were too cautious.  That isn't so good, but we can celebrate most of us have our health and can resume our lives.

There are a lot of scenarios where this does not happen.   500,000 deaths in a few weeks wasn't some extreme scenario, I looked through the paper and you wouldn't really argue with any of it.  In these scenarios we lose hundreds of thousands of people we didn't need to.    We lose a lot of jobs too as we were too reckless.  We will get on with our lives too, but we lose a lot of people and the economy is trashed anyway. 

It isn't the fact it is new that has caused the reaction, it is the fact it will leave huge numbers of bodies piled up in a very short period.  We can cope with 500,000 deaths over the year, we can't cope with 500,000 extra ones in a month. 

I could go through the article and criticise a lot of it, but am home schooling so don't have the time right now.  But focussing on current death rates is idiotic, really idiotic.  We know what is likely to happen in 2 weeks with inadequate action, we can see Italy and Spain.  We know people don't die the second they are infected, they die 17 days later on average.  We know this lag is there.  We know cases were increasing every 2 or 3 days and it will take a couple of weeks until we can see the effect of the new measures. 

If in a month or so there is a really good outcome, and our NHS isn't overwhelmed, and we discover half the population already has immunity.  We overeacted and we can all go back to booking our holidays and reopening our pubs.  Some businesses that were on the brink already will be lost.  I can look for work again, and my hope to retire a bit before pension age may be tralistic again.   I think that would be a good result in the circumstances, and will be happy we avoided the really bad results.

I'm totes sold on we're overreacting but tbf, I don't believe there's a climate emergency either

If you think there is an element of doubt, so there is only a 90% chance that the climate warming had been caused by human action.  

Do you
a) stop burning coal or

b) write an article in the Spectator saying there is a 10% chance this isn't down to us, and tell people assumptions can be wrong, so go build loads of coal powrler stations and go buy yourself big V8 cockmobiles.

Different ways of looking at the same thing, but I'd be firmly trying to do something rather than do nothing.

Is it b) ?

Now we've beaten the pandemic I fancied a brief look back to the beginning of things.

Amused me to find this reference to V8 cockmobiles in a thread I posted in as, last year I bought a V8, 4.2L, XKR

To be fair, the XKR is a bit of a bargain as V8 cockmobiles go.   

And it looks a bit rosier now than it looked a couple of months after that article.   Still think lateral flow tests wouldn't cost the earth, and not isolating with Covid is bonkers.  Omicron was a bit of a damp squib, but the average covid variant has been significantly worse so far. 

Am going to fly in a few weeks, as global warming is beaten too. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: February 21, 2022, 08:51:01 PM »

Do you
a) stop burning coal or

Is it b) ?

Incred Cheesy

I got the 4.2L V8 motor fad done in my 20s, which is just as well. I'd need to be significantly richer than I am now if I wanted to fuel it up with my right foot/hand Cheesy

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: February 21, 2022, 09:51:36 PM »

Haha, flying is bad but necessary sometimes

Car's for polishing not driving Marky, quite cheap to run in that respect :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: February 22, 2022, 01:55:10 AM »

This is true, and cheaper still if you polish it yourself!

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: February 22, 2022, 07:43:25 AM »

It’s always better if someone else polishes it for you…
Or you could try polishing it left-handed

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4554 on: February 22, 2022, 08:01:30 AM »

It’s always better if someone else polishes it for you…
Or you could try polishing it left-handed

If you sit on your hand for a few minutes first it feels like someone else is polishing it.

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: February 22, 2022, 06:14:51 PM »

Haha, so many children here

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: February 22, 2022, 06:38:19 PM »

Well, that escalated quickly Cheesy

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: February 22, 2022, 09:04:28 PM »

Well, that escalated quickly Cheesy

Without the aid of performance enhancing drugs

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: October 31, 2023, 05:38:42 PM »

Was just listening to a podcast with John Campbell, he's mentioned in this thread quite a lot and was always interesting to listen to during the pandemic.

I find the whole Covid enquiry approach is pretty much guaranteed to ensure we learn almost nothing from the experience that will ensure we would handle something like this better in the future.

It seems way too focused on the Government's clown like behaviours, uselessness and corruption than the more serious issue of whether the nature of the generally supported response (lockdowns, speedy introduction of new tech vaccines, closing schools etc) were actually better than doing nothing and serve as any kind of model for a future response.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: November 01, 2023, 12:10:26 PM »

Was just listening to a podcast with John Campbell, he's mentioned in this thread quite a lot and was always interesting to listen to during the pandemic.

I find the whole Covid enquiry approach is pretty much guaranteed to ensure we learn almost nothing from the experience that will ensure we would handle something like this better in the future.

It seems way too focused on the Government's clown like behaviours, uselessness and corruption than the more serious issue of whether the nature of the generally supported response (lockdowns, speedy introduction of new tech vaccines, closing schools etc) were actually better than doing nothing and serve as any kind of model for a future response.

Agree.
Possibly the only lesson that we will learn is that using Snapchat as a government tool is inadvisable. It’s an instant format that is best used for trivia; sharing memes and off colour jokes and that seems to have leached into the discussions held on it.
We should be learning about why we were so ill-prepared and why we indulged in some indiscriminate spending on stuff that should have been sourced through established contracts with established suppliers. Not from any Tom Dick or Harry that turned their hand from cosmetics, car sales or desk manufacture to the fleecing of the nation via inflated prices on basic stuff.

It begs the question about all government procurement. Why is it not on an audited agreed profit margin? Lots of industries work this way, why not government?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 302 303 [304] 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: