blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:47:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  TONIGHT at 8.30pm - Is this the Best Online Line-Up EVER?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TONIGHT at 8.30pm - Is this the Best Online Line-Up EVER?  (Read 15398 times)
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2006, 11:06:33 PM »

What should have been a spectacle, has ended in a farce.  

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2006, 11:11:37 PM »

"welcome to the cliquey world of poker" & "you kept that quiet"......

As ever, I will tell you exactly how all this came about, seeing as the jibes have begun.

"you kept it quiet".

I have made it clear on several occasions that Sporting Odds.com pay me a retainer to do various stuff for them, but also that I am uncomfortable with spamming on blonde for Sporting Odds.com - I need to be whiter than white here, as blonde has an anti-spam policy. So I get involved with them & for them on ALL sorts of things. Pro-Ams, TV Programmes (two x Peoples Poker Challenges), Networking with their Clients, Monthly Articles, Pro-Tips (yes, chuckle if you wish.....), advice to Newbies, (ditto....)  the monthly tikay tourney, some other stuff that is in the pipeline, emptying the rubbish bins, fetching the sarnies. Largely speaking, I try & keep Sporting Odds.com & blonde seperate, I do not use blonde as a tool to promote SO.com, but if something interesting happens, I tell you. An example would be the monthly tikay tourney, in which many blondes have a bit of fun.

I have no idea how & when the Internet Qualifiers got their seats, in fact I am not even sure they had to qualify, truth is, I just don't know, &, in truth, it's not really of great interest to me, as it's none of my business how they did it. They may have just selected 6 of their most loyal players, or larger punters, I really have no idea.

They did do a deal with Cincins to provide a seat to the winner of the Cincins League in January, and this was widely publicised on blonde, though not by me.

"welcome to the cliquey world of poker".

They also asked me to find "a dozen or so" decent players of varied background, ability & achievement, such that a tidy line-up would ensue. I believe I have delivered on that request. I could have invited any number of permutations of players, but not everybody was eligible - all invitees has to be un-sponsored, as the winner has to wear the SO.com shirt in Monte Carlo. Some, for example, El Blondie (Littlewoods) Thewy (William Hill) & many other "names" were not eligible. Others, such as, selecting one at random, WPT Winner John Gale, were not available. I could have come up with literally hundreds of permutations of players, but I had a brief from, SO.com, & I think I've delivered. No two people on earth would have come up with the same list, & nobody can say I am wrong or they are wronmg. It's just the way it panned out, it's a subjective thing - if you want to substitute "subjective" with "cliquey", feel free. I was asked to do a job, & I did it to the best of my ability. And I'm well proud of the field I assembled. "a decent field of varied background, ability & achievements".

My seat? I never asked for it, & never thought for a minute I would be given one, & I never put my name forward, but they invited me, & I accepted, & I'm well grateful to them.

Heaven only knows how much hoohah would go off if I went & won the seat for Monte Carlo, but I guess they reasoned they were on  pretty safe ground there.....

There you go, that's what it says on the tin.

Now, I gotta go. The eldest Cat is doing his furball trick - throwing up on my new rug. I need her to get well sharpish - she's playing for me tonight.

Does the rookie not have a deal with USA poker?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2006, 11:12:26 PM »

The worst thing is knowing what a top bloke Rob is
he would have sat out without even thinking about it
showed class like RED-DOG

Gutted for Tikay too.

lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2006, 11:13:17 PM »

do we know the reason for Rob's disconnect and failure to re-connect.

It seems unfortunate , and its alright for us to say what we would have done in that situation, but we have to remember that for a large proportion of these players, this is their livliehood, and a free entry to a million buck tournament could be major benefit to them.

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2006, 11:16:24 PM »

in a normal online comp i would expect that to happen Laz ... However, this was 3 players that knew each other and not total strangers, ...a chance missed to show poker players in a good light has been missed IMHO.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2006, 11:17:55 PM »

Gutted for Tikay too.

it's not tikays fault.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2006, 11:18:54 PM »

It seems unfortunate , and its alright for us to say what we would have done in that situation, but we have to remember that for a large proportion of these players, this is their livliehood, and a free entry to a million buck tournament could be major benefit to them.

Errr this is an invitation event Laz.

It takes a big man to do what Red-dog did, I reckon they should be ashamed of themselves.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2006, 11:20:35 PM »

Gutted for Tikay too.

it's not tikays fault.

Of course not, but he may feel like he bears some responsibility because he chose these players (I don't think he should). It was a cracking tournament up to the break though!

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2006, 11:20:59 PM »

As updater I'm gutted.

IMHO Rob was owning these two at the time.

I think the word we need here is fear.
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2006, 11:22:35 PM »

Gutted for Tikay too.

it's not tikays fault.

Of course not, but he may feel like he bears some responsibility because he chose these players (I don't think he should). It was a cracking tournament up to the break though!

Thanks Glad you get the point
Triple X

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2006, 11:25:11 PM »

i was in earlier but couldnt get back in - so reckon connection problems

Def as invitational think the other players should have done something

Also sporting odds have got to look into it if its a disconnection problem
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2006, 11:27:10 PM »

When the same thing happened when Reddog was playing a heads up he sat out until the other player reconnected.........that's decent poker. Winning through disconnection isn't imho.

Canuck did the same thing for me when we were HU in the Sunday Blonde league after my connection went screwy. Genuine class.

KroAce
Probation

No guts, no pots....

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2006, 11:29:46 PM »

First off all.... Damn Rob - Feel sorry for disconnection. But it happens now and then at Sporting unfortuanly....

and congrats to winner WPT - Well played

It was true an experience to play you guys. Tough opponents i sure must say....
I won one off the qualifier heats and have played poker for about 8 months now.
I struggled and kept getting crappy cards and sure not the luck... (Str8 flush against my nut flush)  
Agressive play at start - Damn....

Thanks for an experience and lessons to learn

I'm working my way up...  Wink
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2006, 11:33:28 PM »

Make no mistake about it Robert Cooper isnt skint! LOL, so the winning the tournament doesnt have THAT much benefit to him
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2006, 11:39:43 PM »

Make no mistake about it Robert Cooper isnt skint! LOL, so the winning the tournament doesnt have THAT much benefit to him

I have met RC a few times and always found him to be polite and helpful. Guess we are just lucky that we have an extra good friend in Reddog who is more likely to need the cash (no offence Red) but would prefer to win it in a different way. Poker is a game of many styles and although I don't particularly like what has happened I can only accept that that is what happens on a regular basis on the net and not everyone is as well versed in blonde manners as some of us are.....
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: