blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 03:12:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272677 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1288 1289 1290 1291 [1292] 1293 1294 1295 1296 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2211186 times)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19365 on: July 30, 2019, 08:34:17 AM »

I love the Miley Cyrus story.

The blog post is too wordy, always an indication that the argument is a little contrived, the linkages being suggested a little less connected.
I’m not saying Trump is anything other than dangerous for the world, nor that Boris is going to go down in history as a great PM, just that AC is working his point too hard.

Yeah, the story is 👌, had me chuckling.

It’s The Mirror but since it’s the view of the author we are interested in, I thought it OK:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/alastair-campbell-i-know-what-18770391.amp
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:39:17 AM by kukushkin88 » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19366 on: July 30, 2019, 12:01:25 PM »

Game Theory argument for Boris' approach - and El Erian below explains why it might work...

1. Commit credibly to No Deal - thru Cabinet appointments, spending
2. Try to isolate Dublin. Force its choice btwn backstop and November No Deal
3. Do better deal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-07-25/boris-johnson-s-brexit-hard-line-could-force-europe-to-compromise

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19367 on: July 30, 2019, 12:02:22 PM »

Faisal Islam wrote

"in order to send credible message on No Deal, PM needs to ramp up expectations of it, not play down.

This is because tens of thousands of small biz have not even taken most basic step in customs preparation because its a waste of working capital if No Deal not happening

rather high risk strategy however. if PM & Cabinet ramp up No Deal rhetoric, other businesses, currency markets & public at large will also react accordingly.

Hence what appear somewhat confusing & contradictory messages. No Deal both a million to one, and working assumption."

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19368 on: July 30, 2019, 12:03:48 PM »

The European Research Group don’t like Boris Johnson’s Cabinet and don’t trust his advisors

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/07/boris-johnson-has-new-problem-brexit-ultras

I henceforth rename them the BABs

Brexiteers against Brexit.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19369 on: July 30, 2019, 12:05:16 PM »

this thread goes down interesting avenues

https://twitter.com/GuitarMoog/status/1151085194570600448?s=20

it starts

"If we now work on the assumption that Johnson's objective is No Deal, and that he will never request an Art50 extension, we're going to need MPs to get over their fear of revoking Art50 if they are serious about stopping No Deal. "

---

pretty difficult to see it happening with a Chocolate teapot as leader of the opposition tbh

My eyes are open wide
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19370 on: July 30, 2019, 12:07:31 PM »

It should be million to one....

But Boris added the caveat “if the EU is sensible”

Hence why it’s not a million to one

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #19371 on: July 30, 2019, 12:18:57 PM »

Withdrawal Agreement is ratified, Article 50 extended beyond 2019 or Article 50 revoked      1/2

UK leave the EU in 2019 without Withdrawal Agreement in place                                        6/4

Can't be long before these prices switch over?
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19372 on: July 30, 2019, 12:28:41 PM »

Withdrawal Agreement is ratified, Article 50 extended beyond 2019 or Article 50 revoked      1/2

UK leave the EU in 2019 without Withdrawal Agreement in place                                        6/4

Can't be long before these prices switch over?

I feel as sure as ever that no deal won’t happen. Boris/Gove very aware of how extreme the downside is.

I actually think Parliament revoking Art.50 probably plays out quite well for Boris. His popularity relatively unscathed, biggest immediate problem, making Brexit happen gone for now and an enormous boost to the economy. In theory he keeps most of his support on side and would be looking strong heading for the inevitable election. (This might have been covered in the Steve Bullock twitter thread that Tighty linked)
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19373 on: July 30, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »

In his initial speech Boris put a lot of emphasis on regaining the trust of the electorate

Revoking Article 50 doesn’t achieve that main goal

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19374 on: July 30, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »

In his initial speech Boris put a lot of emphasis on regaining the trust of the electorate

Revoking Article 50 doesn’t achieve that main goal

If it wasn’t he who did it though but Parliament, then he could probably use that situation to his advantage in the aftermath.

We really shouldn’t attach much value to what he says, it’s like people have assumed that he suddenly somehow transformed in to a man of principle, it’s bit of a stretch to think that his word now counts for something. Let’s judge him by his actions (same for everyone else).
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19375 on: July 30, 2019, 02:14:22 PM »

Boris aside.

Revoking Article 50 would indeed lose the trust of the electorate.

What’s more MPs who supported this motion, particularly in constituencies with Leave majorities, could hardly be called trustworthy themselves

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #19376 on: July 30, 2019, 02:21:07 PM »

Why do we keep hearing warnings from Macron? Always seems to be France dishing out the threats. Is he official EU badass spokesman?

Why not let Finland or Bulgaria offer opinion in the fair equal union?

Sounds like Trump will sort out his trapping off, about time France’s overpriced wine took a bigger hit when compared to the quality elsewhere around the world.

Says the man who only drinks rosé about the pumpkin who only drinks diet coke.

PS Bandol rosé is the nuts imho.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:26:26 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19377 on: July 30, 2019, 02:41:53 PM »

I don't believe that Corbyn is massively unpopular, he has just made a huge blooper and strategic error. The amount of support he was getting in the General election was huge and the result was pretty good, considering.

If he had played his hand differently, by supporting a referendum clearly and quicker, who knows what position Labour would be in now. I'd imagine they'd be polling much differently. But here we are facing a general election in which we have no idea if it's going to be Leave/Remain focused

Beyond the cult, he's electoral poison.

Take 'peak Corbyn' of 2017, who failed to beat Theresa May despite a Tory campaign that self-destructed, and add in all the subsequent issues with anti-semitism, Panorama, the EHRC investigation, nepotism in the senior jobs, interference in disciplinary issues, significant numbers of people quitting the party some of whom are joining the Lib Dems, a pay dispute with their own staff, his weak reaction to events such as the Salisbury attacks enhancing the long-standing 'security risk' doubts about him, and the fact that there's basically public open warfare between the two camps within the party in Parliament, etc.

He was unable to get better approval ratings than Theresa May, even after she was forced out, and he'll undoubtedly score even worse against Boris.  The first clash in the Commons between them was a fair reflection of how PMQ's will look when they resume, and it's an arena where the imagery matters more than the substance of the debate.

The local and, particularly, the EU elections showed that long-time Labour voters were prepared to jump ship in significant numbers for various reasons, with Brexit probably the main one.  A lot of those voters will refuse to consider going back to Labour while Corbyn remains in charge.

The position might improve a little with a new leader, but the underlying problem is the infiltration of the party by the Trots/SWP factions within the CLP's, etc.  The party is simply unrecognisable as Labour to many former voters.  The Labour 'brand' always has intrinsic value from those voters not particularly engaged with politics who always vote Labour for whatever reason.  However, even that has been significantly eroded in the last two years.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19378 on: July 30, 2019, 03:47:59 PM »

A basic Remainer position at present is that they have a moral obligation to stop Brexit because nobody voted for a WTO-only or a so-called “No Deal” Brexit.

The democratic ideal, they say, is therefore on their side now.

No deal was hardly mentioned before June 2016. We voted, whichever way, in the reasonable expectation that the large, sophisticated and expensive political and administrative classes of the UK and the EU, which we pay for, would be sufficiently skilled and competent to negotiate and ratify a withdrawal agreement.

Does this claim stack up?

i think i know who will answer how :-) but will throw it out there for discussion

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19379 on: July 30, 2019, 03:55:51 PM »

I don't believe that Corbyn is massively unpopular, he has just made a huge blooper and strategic error. The amount of support he was getting in the General election was huge and the result was pretty good, considering.

If he had played his hand differently, by supporting a referendum clearly and quicker, who knows what position Labour would be in now. I'd imagine they'd be polling much differently. But here we are facing a general election in which we have no idea if it's going to be Leave/Remain focused

Beyond the cult, he's electoral poison.

Take 'peak Corbyn' of 2017, who failed to beat Theresa May despite a Tory campaign that self-destructed, and add in all the subsequent issues with anti-semitism, Panorama, the EHRC investigation, nepotism in the senior jobs, interference in disciplinary issues, significant numbers of people quitting the party some of whom are joining the Lib Dems, a pay dispute with their own staff, his weak reaction to events such as the Salisbury attacks enhancing the long-standing 'security risk' doubts about him, and the fact that there's basically public open warfare between the two camps within the party in Parliament, etc.

He was unable to get better approval ratings than Theresa May, even after she was forced out, and he'll undoubtedly score even worse against Boris.  The first clash in the Commons between them was a fair reflection of how PMQ's will look when they resume, and it's an arena where the imagery matters more than the substance of the debate.

The local and, particularly, the EU elections showed that long-time Labour voters were prepared to jump ship in significant numbers for various reasons, with Brexit probably the main one.  A lot of those voters will refuse to consider going back to Labour while Corbyn remains in charge.

The position might improve a little with a new leader, but the underlying problem is the infiltration of the party by the Trots/SWP factions within the CLP's, etc.  The party is simply unrecognisable as Labour to many former voters.  The Labour 'brand' always has intrinsic value from those voters not particularly engaged with politics who always vote Labour for whatever reason.  However, even that has been significantly eroded in the last two years.

Prof Brian Cox asks

"Isn’t the choice before the Labour Party clear? There would be a reasonable chance of a Labour government / SNP, Lib, Lab coalition this year with Starmer or Thornberry as leader, and a significantly lower probability with Corbyn as leader. Isn’t that incontrovertible?"

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 1288 1289 1290 1291 [1292] 1293 1294 1295 1296 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: