blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272715 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1167 1168 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 1174 1175 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6366412 times)
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #17550 on: February 14, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »

Very sorry to hear of the passing of Dick Francis today Tony. i only really know his books and Devon Loch but sport lost a good guy there.

do you have any memories of seeing him in race riding action?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17551 on: February 14, 2010, 03:55:02 PM »

Very sorry to hear of the passing of Dick Francis today Tony. i only really know his books and Devon Loch but sport lost a good guy there.

do you have any memories of seeing him in race riding action?

Oh no, I never knew that Phil. I guess he must have been getting on a bit - Devon Loch was mid 50's was it? So that would be 50 odd years back.

I don't believe I ever saw him ride.

Oddly, his novels - all of them - are just about the only fiction on my bookshelves, & they were a spiffing read, all of them.

Very sad to hear that.

Off to do some googling on him now, & I'll be forced to read all his Obits tomorrow.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #17552 on: February 14, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »

Does anyone enjoy watching the Winter Olympics?

you were watching the boring speed skating, you need to watch the short track. 6/7 of them at a time going round a 100m oval. the speed, tight turns and crowding mean you get loads of crashes

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17553 on: February 14, 2010, 04:00:33 PM »

The Devon Loch thing was 1956, & he was 89.

Curiously, Wiki suggests that his wife was the main writer for his books.

And I thought I had all his books, but he wrote far more than I realised, & I doubt I have more than half of them.

An excuse, if ever there was one, to have a root around my bookcases. And that always gets me all reflective, as I find & am reminded of old favourites.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17554 on: February 14, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »

you were watching the boring speed skating, you need to watch the short track. 6/7 of them at a time going round a 100m oval. the speed, tight turns and crowding mean you get loads of crashes

Hmm, maybe.

Is there a betting market on these events?

I was interested to see what a big thing the SuperBowl has become in the UK in the last decade, so many peeps watching a game few of us really understand. I'm assuming 90% of the viewers only do so as a betting medium? Or do they really watch it or the spectacle?

Nearer home, I did the Spreads, quite heavily (& badly) for some years, & it got to the stage that I could not watch a football match unless I had money on it. When I stopped betting, I stopped watching. Now, 10 years on, I love to watch Premiership Football & don't neecd the "kick" or "fix" of betting on it. And for that reason, I enjoy it more, appreciate it more, & don't view it myopically.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #17555 on: February 14, 2010, 04:12:23 PM »

The Devon Loch thing was 1956, & he was 89.

Curiously, Wiki suggests that his wife was the main writer for his books.

And I thought I had all his books, but he wrote far more than I realised, & I doubt I have more than half of them.

An excuse, if ever there was one, to have a root around my bookcases. And that always gets me all reflective, as I find & am reminded of old favourites.

He admitted that his wife helped him research a lot of his material and since her death he and his son have been attributed as co writers I believe, maybe even to keep them coming after his sad death.

He used to release his books every September and I think i have read every one, as you say they are great reads and the true skill in his writing was tho they were based around racing, the plots were so good that you could enjoy them without knowing a thing about racing..

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #17556 on: February 14, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »

Hmm, maybe.

I was interested to see what a big thing the SuperBowl has become in the UK in the last decade, so many peeps watching a game few of us really understand. I'm assuming 90% of the viewers only do so as a betting medium? Or do they really watch it or the spectacle?

Nearer home, I did the Spreads, quite heavily (& badly) for some years, & it got to the stage that I could not watch a football match unless I had money on it. When I stopped betting, I stopped watching. Now, 10 years on, I love to watch Premiership Football & don't neecd the "kick" or "fix" of betting on it. And for that reason, I enjoy it more, appreciate it more, & don't view it myopically.

NFL football is one of the best betting mediums for sheer enjoyment, you get three hours for you money and with the game having so many stats freely available it is made for spread betting really. Tho I bet on the games I do watch a lot of them without a bet coz I really would rather watch a game from the NFL than watch Premier lge football, which is dying a slow death  imo.

Tighty has a wealth of knowledge about both NFL and college football too, in fact I think he won a comp one year that involved picking the college draft picks in the correct order.

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #17557 on: February 14, 2010, 04:25:23 PM »

Hmm, maybe.

sigh, sick rubdown

I had the lot on apolo ohno this morning. got on him early and could've laid off before the final for a nice profit but decided to go ftw. he came in second but you don't know for quite a while if the result stands in shorttrack as the judges tend to dq people quite a lot. he came in 2nd but at one point before the official result came out him and his coach were celebrating as they thought the other guy had been dqed. turns out they were just winding me up though

if you get a chance to watch the women's shorttrack keep an eye out for weng mang. she is so good that before her events have even started the best price you can get on her winning the 500metre event is 1/5

I started following the game at school when the first nfl craze hit the uk

probably 20 odd people on blonde have got into the game as a betting medium through following threads on here. pretty much all of them have ended up falling in love with the game itself, it's a fantastic sport. like phil I'd much rather watch an nfl game than a premiership one, bet or no bet

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #17558 on: February 14, 2010, 07:42:55 PM »

like phil I'd much rather watch an nfl game than a premiership one, bet or no bet

This by a long way

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #17559 on: February 15, 2010, 01:28:21 AM »

Hmm, maybe.

I think the game was much bigger in the UK 20 years ago Tikay. back in the 'channel 4' days. A great game thats tailor made for contemporary betting mediums.
Get yourself some tickets for the game at wembley in October. Much more a spectacle than any premiership game
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #17560 on: February 15, 2010, 02:39:31 AM »

Cardiff alone, not exactly a bastion of British football, are £36 million - £36 million! - in hock, after the spendthrift Ridsdale has worked his magic. If Liverpool miss the CL next year, the RBS will be all over them.

I'm not sure if he's a spendthrift or just a bit of a 'creative' businessman:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2010/02/10/ridsdale-s-wound-up-company-s-370k-tax-bill-91466-25800748/

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #17561 on: February 15, 2010, 02:48:56 AM »

Get yourself some tickets for the game at wembley in October. Much more a spectacle than any premiership game

plz dont do this, it will be a terrible game.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #17562 on: February 15, 2010, 03:28:47 AM »

plz dont do this, it will be a terrible game.

troll ban imo

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17563 on: February 16, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »

Cardiff alone, not exactly a bastion of British football, are £36 million - £36 million! - in hock, after the spendthrift Ridsdale has worked his magic. If Liverpool miss the CL next year, the RBS will be all over them.

I'm not sure if he's a spendthrift or just a bit of a 'creative' businessman:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2010/02/10/ridsdale-s-wound-up-company-s-370k-tax-bill-91466-25800748/

You'd be better asking a Leeds United Fan.

Did you know that the football authorities have a "fit & proper person" criteria for all Football Club Directors?

Tell that to Notts Co, Pompey, Man City, & God knows how many other clubs.

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #17564 on: February 16, 2010, 03:38:36 PM »

You'd be better asking a Leeds United Fan.

They'd probably agree he's a crook!

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Pages: 1 ... 1167 1168 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 1174 1175 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: