blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1172 1173 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 1179 1180 ... 3778 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6296655 times)
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17625 on: February 17, 2010, 05:16:40 PM »

lost may well be pish but it is most certainly not instant gratification, the very opposite in fact. i'm not sure how you can have an opinion on it when you don't watch or read fiction, apart from dick francis of course Wink i wonder if you would like the wire? one day you might be at a loose end and have the opportunity to watch a few episodes, you might find it well worth it.

I've not seen The Wire yet, but it's been highly recommended to me by a number of people.  So I've got the whole of the first series ready to watch.  Reckon I'll be impressed Byron?  It's not Z-Cars I know, but I'm sure it's good.

is this a level ?!? zomg Wire is awesome.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17626 on: February 17, 2010, 05:28:55 PM »

Car # 3, a Hillman Minx, reg XHV 57.

It was the last car I ever had which featured.....

1) Bench seats.

2) Column Gear-Shift

3) A starting handle

4) Quarter Lights.

No satisfaction in life quite like coaxing an engine into life via a starting handle, & for 30 years after, I could never figure out why all cars did not have them. The clever bit was cranking the engine over with the handle at the same time as fettling the throttle. Asking the g/f to assist was a waste of time, they just flooded the carb, & have no idea about fettlingly things.

And Quarter Lights, the greatest asset ANY car, EVER, could have. I'd pay a hefty premium on any car to have quarter lights. You don't need aircon with quarter lights.

Miss Minx met her demise when I was changing the points one day, & dropped the grub screw down into the distributor. After running out of patience, I gave up trying to retrieve it, fitted a new grub screw, & fired her up. The distributor shaft snapped, & that was that. That car was the last car I ever owned until my current car, they were all company carrs after that, & the magic was gone.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
mike saban

View Profile
« Reply #17627 on: February 17, 2010, 05:29:04 PM »

I don't know a great deal on DNA, however I was reading a history book the other day and there was mention of scientists who had DNA testeted the cheddar man, which is the oldest remains of a human found in the UK possibly Europe, which carbon dates back to approx 7000BC.

They extracted something called MtDNA from a tooth of these remains, this type of DNA is passed down through the female line and as I understand it never changes, so for example I have the same MtDNA as my mother who has the same as her mother who as the same as her mother and so on. Anyway to get to the point through this dna sample, they managed to find a guy, a local school teacher IIRC who lived within half a mile of where they found the remains who had the same MtDNA string, so obviously not a direct line of the Cheddar man himself, but possibly of his mother or sister. How amazing is that, an a direct line to an anscestor over 9000 years.

This got me looking into dna a little bit, and there is a similar strand which gets passed down the male line, father to son to son etc I think it was called Y-DNA, but might be wrong there.

So I thought how cool would be from a genelogy point of view if there was a massive dna database of these Mt and Y types, it would interesting to see just how many people were related today for example from a single woman thousands of years ago. The cost would be massive to set this up, and I'm not sure how moral it would be, people digging up grave yards for example to take dna tests, but you get my drift.

Just thought I'd share my little bit of dna knowledge that poked the imagination the other day.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17628 on: February 17, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »

I don't know a great deal on DNA, however I was reading a history book the other day and there was mention of scientists who had DNA testeted the cheddar man, which is the oldest remains of a human found in the UK possibly Europe, which carbon dates back to approx 7000BC.

They extracted something called MtDNA from a tooth of these remains, this type of DNA is passed down through the female line and as I understand it never changes, so for example I have the same MtDNA as my mother who has the same as her mother who as the same as her mother and so on. Anyway to get to the point through this dna sample, they managed to find a guy, a local school teacher IIRC who lived within half a mile of where they found the remains who had the same MtDNA string, so obviously not a direct line of the Cheddar man himself, but possibly of his mother or sister. How amazing is that, an a direct line to an anscestor over 9000 years.

This got me looking into dna a little bit, and there is a similar strand which gets passed down the male line, father to son to son etc I think it was called Y-DNA, but might be wrong there.

So I thought how cool would be from a genelogy point of view if there was a massive dna database of these Mt and Y types, it would interesting to see just how many people were related today for example from a single woman thousands of years ago. The cost would be massive to set this up, and I'm not sure how moral it would be, people digging up grave yards for example to take dna tests, but you get my drift.

Just thought I'd share my little bit of dna knowledge that poked the imagination the other day.

Strewth, how extraordinary, if true.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17629 on: February 17, 2010, 05:48:21 PM »

More on mitochondrial DNA and the common ancestor(s) here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

'Tis a fascinating subject.  Arguably more enjoyable than a Dick Francis novel.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #17630 on: February 17, 2010, 05:56:34 PM »

hmmm mildly interesting  - but statistically, not very.

They found one person descended from the cheddar man - but he is only one of tens and tens of millions of people who had the cheddar man in their family tree. So it wasn't really as hard as it might seem for them to have found one. I haven't specifically got the numbers - but look at the world population then compared to the world population now and it gives an indication.

There are various efforts to set up a dna database like you suggest through various family history organisations. Essentially people pay for their own dna tests and the results are stored together, then you get some information on people who have the same markers as you.

In terms of how big it would have to be to have much effect it's very early days - but eventually it could end up along the lines of what you envision in your post.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17631 on: February 17, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »

I enjoy the sheer variety of my job here.

As I write, 6.17pm Wednesday, I'm somewhat embarrassed.

I have to do a skit, to camera, a "losers forfeit" jokey kind of thing.

Make up gave me badly-applied bright pink lippy, a shade too much rouge, or "blusher" as we boys call it, & blue eye-shadow, all on top of the usual screen make-up.

Wardrobe added a pinafore, yellow marigolds, and a Hilda Ogden style headscarf.

I went to go into the Studio to do the record, & they said "we are not quite ready, come back in 10 minutes, wait in the office".

Course, I went & sat down at my PC & started typing, when suddenly about 5 kids - sorry, TV staff - all suddenly appeared with cameras.

I do feel such a tit. I look pretty good though.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17632 on: February 17, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »

I came out to my work colleagues today.

FYP and congratulations
Pelham Boy

View Profile
« Reply #17633 on: February 17, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »

1) Bench seats.

2) Column Gear-Shift

3) A starting handle

4) Quarter Lights.

No satisfaction in life quite like coaxing an engine into life via a starting handle, & for 30 years after, I could never figure out why all cars did not have them. The clever bit was cranking the engine over with the handle at the same time as fettling the throttle. Asking the g/f to assist was a waste of time, they just flooded the carb, & have no idea about fettlingly things.

And Quarter Lights, the greatest asset ANY car, EVER, could have. I'd pay a hefty premium on any car to have quarter lights. You don't need aircon with quarter lights.

Miss Minx met her demise when I was changing the points one day, & dropped the grub screw down into the distributor. After running out of patience, I gave up trying to retrieve it, fitted a new grub screw, & fired her up. The distributor shaft snapped, & that was that. That car was the last car I ever owned until my current car, they were all company carrs after that, & the magic was gone.

Those are vents. A quarter light is in the body of the car, if it's in the door it's a vent.

"The boy Gedge has written some of the best love songs of the Rock 'n' Roll Era. You may dispute this, but I'm right and you're wrong!" John Peel.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17634 on: February 17, 2010, 07:09:45 PM »

1) Bench seats.

2) Column Gear-Shift

3) A starting handle

4) Quarter Lights.

Those are vents. A quarter light is in the body of the car, if it's in the door it's a vent.

No. We Americans call them "quarter lites".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_glass

mike saban

View Profile
« Reply #17635 on: February 17, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »

More on mitochondrial DNA and the common ancestor(s) here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

'Tis a fascinating subject.  Arguably more enjoyable than a Dick Francis novel.

Interesting link Dan - thanks.

I suspose this statement from there, clarifies Jon's point, although I still think its pretty amazing that one of those ancestors still lived local to the remains.

The Human MRCA. All humans alive today share a surprisingly recent common ancestor, perhaps even within the last 5000 years, even for people born on different continents

Dino

View Profile
« Reply #17636 on: February 17, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »

I hope that doesn't mean we lost last night.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17637 on: February 17, 2010, 07:24:19 PM »

I hope that doesn't mean we lost last night.

Oh NO. We WON last night. 2-1 down, but we ran out 3-2 winners. Easy. Lisa is not best pleased, they don't like it up 'em.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17638 on: February 17, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »

Royalty always seem to plump for incest.  DNA tells the story of King Tut:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=king-tut-dna&page=2

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #17639 on: February 17, 2010, 07:29:27 PM »

My Dad's spent the last few weeks working on a family tree. As well as his own ancestors, he's also looking back over my mum's side of the family. Turns out he's happened upon a chappy through one of these geneology sites who also has people on his tree from both his family and my mum's, so will be interesting to find out of there's some common heritage way back.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Pages: 1 ... 1172 1173 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 1179 1180 ... 3778 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: