blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 09:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273399 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 841 842 [843] 844 845 846 847 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6411893 times)
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #12630 on: April 09, 2009, 01:10:27 PM »

East Fortune Airfield, just outside Edinburgh, hosts a flight museum and  has a static Vulcan bomber and also a Concorde.

Been a few times, extraordinary amount of old planes in what is a fairly non-descript location. rather annoying that East Fortune is known more for it's Sunday market (which is crap.)

May take a trip down soon and gather some pics.

http://www.nms.ac.uk/museumofflighthomepage.aspx

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #12631 on: April 09, 2009, 01:15:27 PM »

Speaking of big aircraft

Does anybody know why Chinooks would be regularly flying around and occasionally landing near Robertsbridge (that's between Battle and south of Tunbridge Wells if that helps anyones geography)

Because I can't work out any RAF places close enough for it to make sense Huh?

Mightily impressive they are too

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #12632 on: April 09, 2009, 01:24:43 PM »

Speaking of big aircraft

Does anybody know why Chinooks would be regularly flying around and occasionally landing near Robertsbridge (that's between Battle and south of Tunbridge Wells if that helps anyones geography)

Wonderful machines indeed JW.

Robertsbridge has an aviation museum, they may have some sort of event on. May also be that they are doing some large scale refurb and are using contacts to have the Chinooks do some heavy lifting.

http://www.villagenet.co.uk/esussex-iron/attractions/content/robertsbridge-aviationmus.html

Geo

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #12633 on: April 09, 2009, 01:26:19 PM »

BTW,

Did I ever tell you about the time a mate and I tried to pinch a Wessex helicopter in Lydd?

Geo

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #12634 on: April 09, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »

Not the last Vulcan,This one was flying till recently.

Correct, my apologies.

Rushed research = bad research.

In fact, I now gather there are THREE Vulcan's remaining in seviceable, or semi-seviceable, conditiion. This I assume excludes the one at Duxford.

I really must sort out that outing to Duxford. I seem to recall that Red, Ralph, Tonji, & a few others were all up for it. I'll have a gander at my Diary, I really want to do it. In fact, dammit, I'm gonna go next week if I can round up a few who are interested.

Hopefully they'll live long and prosper.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #12635 on: April 09, 2009, 01:33:11 PM »

Speaking of big aircraft

Wonderful machines indeed JW.

Robertsbridge has an aviation museum, they may have some sort of event on. May also be that they are doing some large scale refurb and are using contacts to have the Chinooks do some heavy lifting.

http://www.villagenet.co.uk/esussex-iron/attractions/content/robertsbridge-aviationmus.html

Geo

This is over the last few months.

Also I found that site but I thought that the museum really didn't seem to be of a sufficient scale in terms of importance or size to have anything as cool as chinooks involved Huh?

I think I might return to my previous theory that there's a top secret base hidden in the fields somewhere Smiley

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12636 on: April 09, 2009, 01:34:59 PM »

Speaking of big aircraft

Recently, or always, Jon?

They had a bunch of Chinooks down that way during the G20 thing, for Military security. They were painted plain black, not sure why.

I can only recognize three aircraft by sound alone - Spitfire, 747, & a Chinook. The deep "woof-woof" sound of a Chinook is unmistakeable. I'd not go up in one, mind, sod that.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #12637 on: April 09, 2009, 01:38:27 PM »

I'd be interested in a trip to Duxford!

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12638 on: April 09, 2009, 01:40:06 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

In fact, I now gather there are THREE Vulcan's remaining in seviceable, or semi-seviceable, conditiion. This I assume excludes the one at Duxford.

I really must sort out that outing to Duxford. I seem to recall that Red, Ralph, Tonji, & a few others were all up for it. I'll have a gander at my Diary, I really want to do it. In fact, dammit, I'm gonna go next week if I can round up a few who are interested.

sigh..

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #12639 on: April 09, 2009, 01:41:46 PM »

Speaking of big aircraft

Recently, or always, Jon?

They had a bunch of Chinooks down that way during the G20 thing, for Military security. They were painted plain black, not sure why.

I can only recognize three aircraft by sound alone - Spitfire, 747, & a Chinook. The deep "woof-woof" sound of a Chinook is unmistakeable. I'd not go up in one, mind, sod that.

At least a couple of months, and none since the G20.

The ones we saw were standard camouflage colours not black - although you never know how shortly before the G20 itself they could have gone in for a respray.

So definitely feasible.

Cheesy It looks vaguely silly to call it a, "deep "woof-woof"" sound - but it does precisely describe the noise - very handy to give us time to get out the office to have a gawp.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12640 on: April 09, 2009, 01:58:32 PM »

I'd be interested in a trip to Duxford!

You'd be very welcome to come along - details of when will be Posted on here. I keep putting things off, it's time I got to work on my Bucket List.

They do "Pleasure Flights" (a misnoner) in 1930's Bi-Planes, off Grass Runways - make your hair stand on end. Not that you need help there.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12641 on: April 09, 2009, 02:00:27 PM »

Correct, my apologies.

sigh..

I LOLd.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kenjude

View Profile
« Reply #12642 on: April 09, 2009, 02:41:03 PM »

Can the tower guys get in to serious trouble for little jokes like that?

I would imagine the rules are very strict at the major airports but probably a bit more relaxed at less busy ones.

When I was into simming I knew someone on-line who worked in ATC at the Isle Of Man, and from discussions with him it would seem there could be quite a bit of banter between tower and aircraft.

I guess it's all about them being professional enough to know when's right and when's not right for banter.

I once spent a fascinating couple of hours listening to the Manchester tower on my scanner while staying in a Travel Inn near the airport. There was a major storm and quite a bit of chat between the tower and the pilots of the last few flights of the night that they were trying to get away. It was all quite entertaining if you're interested in aviation.

The last flight to the IoM lined up multiple times on the runway pointing the nose in slightly different directions trying to find a gap in the storms on their weather radar  through which they could escape Manchester. When I mentioned this to the guy I knew he said Manx pilots were under massive pressure not to have flights cancelled because of the cost of overnight hotel rooms for passengers.

Cheers

Ken
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #12643 on: April 09, 2009, 03:34:28 PM »

Random photo time!

Mexico: Giant Selenite Crystals!

In 2000, one of the most unusual and splendid caves was found in Mexico by miners. Located only a mile from an upthrust of magma, this cave is 112 degrees Farenheit and at 90-100% humidity, limiting greatly the amount of time explorers can spend in it. It is a spectacular cave, with gigantic crystal formations thought to be 600,000 years old.

Click to see full-size image.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12644 on: April 09, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »

Stunning pics, Bongo!

Where/how do you find all these?

Pages: 1 ... 839 840 841 842 [843] 844 845 846 847 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: