blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 936 937 938 939 [940] 941 942 943 944 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587012 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14085 on: November 23, 2011, 10:18:44 AM »

There was a hoar frost here last night, and the world (Well my little bit of it) looked achingly beautiful this morning.

I checked the temperature when I saw it forming and it was 4 degrees above freezing. I always thought it had to be below freezing for frost to form, so I hot-footed it across to wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost#Hoar_frost

A hoar frost will be coming to your area soon. promise me you will go outside and have a look at it.

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #14086 on: November 23, 2011, 10:19:11 AM »

More tosh and bollox available  on request.....

no-one gonna call bullshit on this bit?

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14087 on: November 23, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14088 on: November 23, 2011, 10:23:31 AM »

More tosh and bollox available  on request.....

no-one gonna call bullshit on this bit?

Indisputable.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14089 on: November 23, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14090 on: November 23, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »

I have to drive into Birmingham today. If I allow an hour and a half, the journey takes half an hour, and vice-versa.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14091 on: November 23, 2011, 10:33:36 AM »

have you seen the new google doodle?

No - but I have now, superb!

Google's home page, the most valuable virtual real estate on the planet, is so beautifully uncluttered by noise and tosh. Compare it with Yahoo's home page, the noisiest and most tacky thing imaginable. Another company who are in the mire - Yahoo! Incidentally, the exclamation Mark in "Yahoo!" is, I believe, their official trading name. As in Westward Ho!

More tosh and bollox available  on request.....

I'll call bullshit on quite a lot of that before gatso does.

Even gatters might struggle to contradict that, pedantry apart.

Gotta love this comparision....

http://uk.yahoo.com/?p=us

http://www.google.co.uk/

Facebook has the most valuable (and visited) page on the web.

Yahoo! made $237 million net profit on a revenue of about $1 billion during the second quarter of the year.  Hardly sounds like a company in the 'mire'.

As an aside with regards to the exclamation mark, Volkwagen have recently brought out a new car called the up!  (notice the lower-case u and the exclamation mark).

We could argue about this all day, so I'll end with this....

http://www.alexa.com/topsites

google # 1, Facebook # 2,

Yahoo!? (The ? following the ! looks rather odd).......

Their sales are less than they were 5 years ago, despite being in a boom industry, whilst staff numbers have increased 20%. Can you imagine a worse scenario? Falling revenues (over a FIVE year period) versus rising staff numbers & costs? Try to extrapolate where that will leave them in 5 years time.

Carol Bartz, the Yahoo! CEO, was fired last month after failing to improve the company's lacklustre financial performance.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14092 on: November 23, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »

have you seen the new google doodle?

No - but I have now, superb!

Google's home page, the most valuable virtual real estate on the planet, is so beautifully uncluttered by noise and tosh. Compare it with Yahoo's home page, the noisiest and most tacky thing imaginable. Another company who are in the mire - Yahoo! Incidentally, the exclamation Mark in "Yahoo!" is, I believe, their official trading name. As in Westward Ho!

More tosh and bollox available  on request.....

I'll call bullshit on quite a lot of that before gatso does.

Even gatters might struggle to contradict that, pedantry apart.

Gotta love this comparision....

http://uk.yahoo.com/?p=us

http://www.google.co.uk/

Facebook has the most valuable (and visited) page on the web.

Yahoo! made $237 million net profit on a revenue of about $1 billion during the second quarter of the year.  Hardly sounds like a company in the 'mire'.

As an aside with regards to the exclamation mark, Volkwagen have recently brought out a new car called the up!  (notice the lower-case u and the exclamation mark).

We could argue about this all day, so I'll end with this....

http://www.alexa.com/topsites

google # 1, Facebook # 2,

Yahoo!? (The ? following the ! looks rather odd).......

Their sales are less than they were 5 years ago, despite being in a boom industry, whilst staff numbers have increased 20%. Can you imagine a worse scenario? Falling revenues (over a FIVE year period) versus rising staff numbers & costs? Try to extrapolate where that will leave them in 5 years time.

Carol Bartz, the Yahoo! CEO, was fired last month after failing to improve the company's lacklustre financial performance.

Alexa? You might as well just make stuff up...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #14093 on: November 23, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »

Thank you Simon. I think I'm getting close to understanding it now.

In my own personal morning haze, I forgot to emphasise the more common uses..

If you fancy a stock that is £10/share, that's a lot of money locked up.  You can buy for a lot less by buying 20p options on them (but don't get the full reward from small gains) or buy 50x more of them (leverage mentioned earlier).  You don't even have to exercise the option to release profit, you can sell the option back to the market with no shares changing hands.

Perhaps the best use though is that your worst case scenario is the 20p outlaid.  So if the company went to the wall, everyone else groans to the tune of £10/share while you shrug your shoulders for 20p a pop.

To start to get to grips with options imo, the best way is to plot a simple graph, say of £10 shares with a 20p option.  (profit/loss on the vertical axis and price of share on the horizontal)  It quickly shows you what is going on, in a world where double negatives and inversions trip a lot of people up.

pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #14094 on: November 23, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »

This guys day was pretty bad,

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14095 on: November 23, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »

Saw the chopper crash over on Tony's thread, but your version is much more cultured.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14096 on: November 23, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »

Went This Birmingham by train today, and very nice it was too. £14.75 including car parking.

Just waiting for my return train. So many people here in the city. There's some sort of huge German piss up festaval going on.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14097 on: November 23, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »

Went This Birmingham by train today, and very nice it was too. £14.75 including car parking.

Just waiting for my return train. So many people here in the city. There's some sort of huge German piss up festaval going on.

Xmas market?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14098 on: November 23, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »

Xmas market?

If the Xmas market consists of loads of people getting drunk and eating liverwurst sausage,  then yes.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14099 on: November 23, 2011, 07:42:55 PM »

Thank you Simon. I think I'm getting close to understanding it now.

In my own personal morning haze, I forgot to emphasise the more common uses..

If you fancy a stock that is £10/share, that's a lot of money locked up.  You can buy for a lot less by buying 20p options on them (but don't get the full reward from small gains) or buy 50x more of them (leverage mentioned earlier).  You don't even have to exercise the option to release profit, you can sell the option back to the market with no shares changing hands.

Perhaps the best use though is that your worst case scenario is the 20p outlaid.  So if the company went to the wall, everyone else groans to the tune of £10/share while you shrug your shoulders for 20p a pop.

To start to get to grips with options imo, the best way is to plot a simple graph, say of £10 shares with a 20p option.  (profit/loss on the vertical axis and price of share on the horizontal)  It quickly shows you what is going on, in a world where double negatives and inversions trip a lot of people up.

There isn't no double negatives gonna trip me up.

Pages: 1 ... 936 937 938 939 [940] 941 942 943 944 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: