blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:10:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272715 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1828 1829 1830 1831 [1832] 1833 1834 1835 1836 ... 2344 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3632436 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27465 on: December 20, 2015, 12:55:24 AM »

There is a theory that he was a decent cove until he fell off his horse whilst in full armour during a jousting competition. The horse, also in full armour, then fell on top of him causing him to lose conciousness for several hours and perhaps suffer brain damage in the process.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:57:23 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #27466 on: December 20, 2015, 01:00:10 AM »

Probably the worst monarch we've ever had.

Do you really think so?
Obviously he was an egomaniacal tyrant in his later years but I don't think we would have become the great nation we are without him breaking from Rome.

Even if it was for his own selfish reasons, it was an incredible thing to do, almost unimaginable, and it  surely took a pretty remarkable person to go through with it.
IMO that's when we really started to develop our own identity rather than being just another bit of European territory so he had to be one of our greatest, if most controversial monarchs.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #27467 on: December 20, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »

Just like Tikay I have no interest in WWII or indeed any recent history but Medieval history is another matter. It appeals because the further you delve back in time the less information you have and with just a few pieces of the jigsaw it's rather tantalising to imagine what the whole picture looked like. Nobody can be certain what the truth of the matter is so individual conclusions are valid.

For example one piece of the jigsaw when assessing Henry VIII is the latter years, an obese tyrant plagued with medical/psychological issues. But then again another piece of the jigsaw is he was happily and gloriously married to Katherine of Aragon for 25 years, a really successful marriage even by modern standards. He was multi-talented, a warrior, musician, poet, artist, sportsman, writer, the list is endless and all foreign dignitaries visiting England universally acclaimed him as the most impressive monarch in the Christian world. His achievements are too numerous to mention but the break from Rome and the publication of the bible in English were major ones.

Even in later years there are genuine reasons for his madcap actions. I mean sure thing he binned off Katherine after 25 years and decapitated Anne...but the dude needed a son. When your Dad has recently won the new crown on the battlefield and the wolves are circling all around this faltering new dynasty what is the answer? When looking at these questions it's important not to answer them from a 21st century perspective. The dude needed a son. His third wife Jane Seymour finally delivered the prize of Edward in 1537 but tragically she died a few days later. He was crowned Edward VI upon the death of his father aged just 9 but died 6 years later.

So whilst Henry needed a son to preserve the dynasty he actually got two daughters and what amazing women they were. Mary I who we still remember today every time we order a Bloody Mary at the bar and the much loved Elizabeth I who reigned for 45 years and defeated the Spanish Armada. Over 50 years of super strong female rule in such turbulent lawless times, what an inspiration.

This is a great dynasty to study Tom, so much mystery and intrigue, with a lot of physical evidence to enjoy while you're doing it. For eg a summer's day out to Hever Castle with the family is cool. Recommend you start around the Wars of the Roses and discover how the crown was won and lost and won again. The Battle of Towton was this country's bloodiest ever conflict with more casualties than the Somme.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #27468 on: December 20, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »

There is a theory that he was a decent cove until he fell off his horse whilst in full armour during a jousting competition. The horse, also in full armour, then fell on top of him causing him to lose conciousness for several hours and perhaps suffer brain damage in the process.

The tremendous shock of this event also caused the unfortunate Anne Boleyn to miscarry the baby she was carrying. The baby was a son. How tantalising is that.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27469 on: December 20, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »

History?

You gotta be kidding me.

I shan't be contributing further to this previously mildly interesting Diary.

Unsubscribed.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27470 on: December 20, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »

History?

You gotta be kidding me.

I shan't be contributing further to this previously mildly interesting Diary.

Unsubscribed.

Yes, History. In your day it was called 'current affairs'.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27471 on: December 20, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »

Tom, you MUST watch this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06pm5vf

It's the story of Sir Bernard Lovell, & how he came to build Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope, which was a world-leader.

Lots of black & white archive footage. Very good indeed. A most extraordinary tale.

The narration was a bit odd, a young lady by the name of Maxine Peake, who speaks funny, sort of clipped regional accent. Such a serious topic needs a man, obv.

The only other negative was that it was also about searching the galaxy & all that outer space bollox.

That apart, good though, very good.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27472 on: December 20, 2015, 11:59:07 AM »

It's the story of Sir Bernard Lovell, & how he came to build Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope, which was a world-leader.

Lots of black & white archive footage. Very good indeed. A most extraordinary tale.

The narration was a bit odd, a young lady by the name of Maxine Peake, who speaks funny, sort of clipped regional accent. Such a serious topic needs a man, obv.

The only other negative was that it was also about searching the galaxy & all that outer space bollox.

Yes, thanks. I will definitely watch.

PS- Breaking Bad is good.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27473 on: December 20, 2015, 12:07:17 PM »

I have a question about next door but I'll hide it here away from prying eyes

Would it not be worth running a decent Sunday afternoon tourney with a buy in somewhere between the Commodores and a bullseye?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27474 on: December 20, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »

Yes, thanks. I will definitely watch.

PS- Breaking Bad is good.

During the Cold War years, the ONLY facility on earth that could track spacecraft & the threat of incoming missiles was Jodrell Bank.

So, in little unheated caravans & trailers in the field that was then Jodrell Bank, Russian & American scientists sat next to each other, watching the radio telescope signals to see what the other was doing.   

The construction of the thing is bizarre, too, can't be too many structures of that size & scale like this. It turns through 360 degrees, & tilts through 135 degrees.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27475 on: December 20, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »

I have a question about next door but I'll hide it here away from prying eyes

Would it not be worth running a decent Sunday afternoon tourney with a buy in somewhere between the Commodores and a bullseye?

It very likely would, yes.

They are - right now - re-designing the MTT Schedule & I expect to see it change very soon, probably next month. Mr Channing & myself have been able to throw some suggestions in, too. Deffo needs a bit of a revamp. Having said that, the popularity of Bounty Hunters is astounding. 

It will cause ructions of course - change always does - but they are going to do it, & I'll pass your suggestion on.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27476 on: December 20, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »

Channel 358.

12:00 The Last Days of Steam.

13:00 Extreme Railways.

14:00 The Joy of Train Sets.

15:00 Great British Railways.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27477 on: December 20, 2015, 12:42:22 PM »

Channel 358.

?

Ch 358 is MTV Live on my EPG.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27478 on: December 20, 2015, 12:44:15 PM »

Channel 358.

?

Sorry. I'm numerically dyslexic. That should read channel 538.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27479 on: December 20, 2015, 12:48:24 PM »

Channel 358.

?

Sorry. I'm numerically dyslexic. That should read channel 538.

Ha, thank you, I've just found it. Great spot, I'm recording the first one, looks excellent. 

PS - "numerically dyslexic" is, I think, "dyscalculia".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

PPS - Strike that, different thing. As you were. Ain't google & Wiki great?

Pages: 1 ... 1828 1829 1830 1831 [1832] 1833 1834 1835 1836 ... 2344 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: