blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:34:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1907 1908 1909 1910 [1911] 1912 1913 1914 1915 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3606758 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28650 on: September 24, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »

Q - If you drop Robbie Williams and a watermelon from the roof of a tall building, which one will hit the ground first?

A - Who cares?

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28651 on: September 24, 2016, 12:43:20 PM »

Is Johnny Cash still alive?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #28652 on: September 26, 2016, 02:39:20 PM »

One for the (Red) Dog Whisperer, if I may.

Someone I know has bought a new ironing board. Her 18 month old golden retriever is scared to death of it. He cowers, his hairs stand up on end and he won't walk past it.

She has tried leaving it. She had tried putting treats near it. She has tried covering it and he still knows it's there. Both she and her husband have tried to get him to see it's just an ironing board and they're doing the same thing as they'd done previously in ironing, just with a new board.

He is not frightened of anything else. No other changes (diet, routine)

They're both now concerned about ironing in front of the dog, as he'll get upset and it'll upset the kids.

I said I knew a chap who might know what to do...

(In before "Get a new ironing board", "Get the old ironing board back", "Get a new dog")
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:44:27 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28653 on: September 26, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »

One for the (Red) Dog Whisperer, if I may.

Someone I know has bought a new ironing board. Her 18 month old golden retriever is scared to death of it. He cowers, his hairs stand up on end and he won't walk past it.

She has tried leaving it. She had tried putting treats near it. She has tried covering it and he still knows it's there. Both she and her husband have tried to get him to see it's just an ironing board and they're doing the same thing as they'd done previously in ironing, just with a new board.

He is not frightened of anything else. No other changes (diet, routine)

They're both now concerned about ironing in front of the dog, as he'll get upset and it'll upset the kids.

I said I knew a chap who might know what to do...

(In before "Get a new ironing board", "Get the old ironing board back", "Get a new dog")

Dogs learn by association. i.e soapy water doesn't taste nice, and people making angry noises are liable to kick you up the arse etc. They also have an inherited/instinctive fear of certain things like say, snakes, fire, high places....

As a general rule this all works fine, but occasionally, the dog gets it wrong.

Example. Fido is chasing a rabbit. He jumps a fence and lands in the middle of the road. His owner shouts "Fido, nooo..." but Fido is hit by a car which breaks two of his legs.

Fortunately, Fido survives and with any luck he will associate broken legs with moving cars, but, and here's the thing, he might just associate broken legs them with rabbits or fences or his owner shouting "Fido, nooo...."

Dogs can be taught to overcome their fears, we do it all the time. Gun dogs allow firearms to be discharged directly above their heads, search and rescue dogs parachute from helicopters and police dogs run towards people who make angry noises.

How do we do this? We do it by reassuring the dog that it won't hurt or, if it does hurt, it's still OK.

My dog poppy doesn't shed hair so she needs to be trimmed every couple of months. She was 11 months old when I got her and she had only ever been trimmed using scissors. I wanted to use electric clippers but she was terrified of them and would run a mile (or try to if she was on the lead) as soon as I switched them on. There was absolutely no chance of me actually touching her with them.

So, I took her 100 yards away across the field and got Mrs red to turn the clippers on, then I walked her towards them until she noticed them and reacted at about 50 yards. I spoke to her calmly and wheeled gently away. Eventually we approached again and got a yard or two closer. After a few days of 20 minute 'lessons' we were standing next to Mrs Red while she was holding the clippers. Over the next couple of days Mrs Red passed the clippers to me and I slowly brought them closer to Poppy until she would allow them to touch her.

This will work exactly the same with the ironing board. There will be a distance at which the dog will tolerate the the board and it will be possible to reduce it, even if it is only by a small amount each day.

People only fail at this task because they are not patient enough and try to force the dog too close too soon.

Good luck.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #28654 on: September 26, 2016, 05:36:46 PM »

Thank you. Will pass this on.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28655 on: September 29, 2016, 10:43:46 AM »

Mrs Red and I are flying to Rome today for a long weekend courtesy of the girls who paid for the trip as a belated birthday present for their mother. (very belated as it happens, her birthday was last December) it's also our 39th wedding anniversary on the 1st of October so we might really push the boat out and have a couple of nice steaks and half a bottle of Moet.

Mrs Red hasn't been to Rome before. I have, which if fortunate because this time I'm on crutches having torn my calf muscle while emptying my wheelie bins last Saturday.

I went to A&E at the George Elliot hospital and in Nuneaton. It took 35 minutes from arriving at reception to being dognosed and leaving with pain killers and crutches. How's that for service?

Anyway, we fly this arvo but Mrs R is taking me to the charity shops this morning so that she can re donate some of the crap she's bought there over the years.

Is this stuff actually exciting or am I just excited by mundane stuff?

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #28656 on: September 29, 2016, 10:57:38 AM »

Are dognoses the modern version of leeches?

Happy Anniversary and I'm sure you'll have a lovely time.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28657 on: September 29, 2016, 11:02:44 AM »

They are what I get in place of diagnoses.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #28658 on: September 29, 2016, 11:04:55 AM »

Happy Anniversary to both of you. Hope you a have a great weekend.

Ah! The element of surprise
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28659 on: September 29, 2016, 11:10:02 AM »

Happy Anniversary to both of you. Hope you a have a great weekend.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28660 on: September 29, 2016, 11:11:49 AM »

Hope you have a great time and the old leg don't play you up too much.
Happy Anniversary.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #28661 on: September 29, 2016, 11:19:31 AM »

Mrs Red and I are flying to Rome today for a long weekend courtesy of the girls who paid for the trip as a belated birthday present for their mother. (very belated as it happens, her birthday was last December) it's also our 39th wedding anniversary on the 1st of October so we might really push the boat out and have a couple of nice steaks and half a bottle of Moet.

Mrs Red hasn't been to Rome before. I have, which if fortunate because this time I'm on crutches having torn my calf muscle while emptying my wheelie bins last Saturday.

I went to A&E at the George Elliot hospital and in Nuneaton. It took 35 minutes from arriving at reception to being dognosed and leaving with pain killers and crutches. How's that for service?

Anyway, we fly this arvo but Mrs R is taking me to the charity shops this morning so that she can re donate some of the crap she's bought there over the years.

I can highly recommend http://ristorantealessio.it/en/ for a nice dinner.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28662 on: September 29, 2016, 11:34:20 AM »

I can highly recommend http://ristorantealessio.it/en/ for a nice dinner.

Thank you marco, it looks very nice.

Mind you, I have to be careful. Mrs Red has a sort of subconscious threshold when it comes to the cost of a meal and if it goes beyond that it makes her miserable, no matter who is paying.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #28663 on: September 29, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dognose

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28664 on: September 29, 2016, 12:21:08 PM »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dognose

Thank you so much but I think that post belongs in the "Too much information" thread.

Pages: 1 ... 1907 1908 1909 1910 [1911] 1912 1913 1914 1915 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: