blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:30:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2092 2093 2094 2095 [2096] 2097 2098 2099 2100 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3609496 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31425 on: October 04, 2019, 11:31:45 AM »

Women and MOTs continued.

A couple of weeks ago, she had to take the car in for an MOT, and asked me to check the tred on her tyres, as they felt a bit funny when she drove. 

So I look at them and said they look ok, maybe a bit more worn at the sides.

The car passed its MOT two weeks ago.  She has just rung me up and asked me to check her tyres again, as they still feel a bit funny. 

"But it passed its MOT, and they know better than I do if the tyres are too worn."

"Look up the 20p test on google and do that when I get home, I don't want to drive it if the tred is too low". 

Me  

Lol.

MOT testers are VERY strict when it comes to tyres. If it meets their stringent standards it will be fine.

The 20p test is worth knowing about though.

I'm massively in to tyre safety. I have a wife and four daughters who drive every day and I feel duty bound to keep an eye on things.

Click to see full-size image.

Also look for uneven wear (Tracking) and damage to side walls.

Make a habit of walking around the car to check for soft/under inflated tyres, and while you're at it, It's worth teaching your better half what the correct tyre pressure should be and how to check/adjust it whilst in a filling station. (She never will, but it's a fun, show-off, blokey thing to do anyway)

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31426 on: October 04, 2019, 11:42:22 AM »

I haven't much idea on the tree either, but could the conifer have had a damaged trunk and a bud from the laylandi fell into the damaged crack?  or was carried there by a bird or animal?  It isn't something I have come across

I'm impressed with this theory.

We originally had this tree in a pot by the door, (It was only about 6" high at the time) and one day I was cleaning the gutters and stepped off the ladder on to it.

Despite my svelte physique and cat-like reactions the tree did suffer somewhat. The pot was shattered and the tree sustained what doctors call a green-stick fracture at about mid way up the trunk.

Mrs Red wouldn't let me throw it away so I planted it out with the other shrubs to take it's chances.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 11:46:54 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #31427 on: October 04, 2019, 11:47:45 AM »

I haven't much idea on the tree either, but could the conifer have had a damaged trunk and a bud from the leylandi fell into the damaged crack?  or was carried there by a bird or animal?  It isn't something I have come across

Probable, also less likely is the rootstock being merged/grafted which would be really interesting, a picture where it comes out of the conifer might throw some light on it if you are in a Sherlock mood one dry day.

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31428 on: October 04, 2019, 12:00:40 PM »

I haven't much idea on the tree either, but could the conifer have had a damaged trunk and a bud from the leylandi fell into the damaged crack?  or was carried there by a bird or animal?  It isn't something I have come across

Probable, also less likely is the rootstock being merged/grafted which would be really interesting, a picture where it comes out of the conifer might throw some light on it if you are in a Sherlock mood one dry day.

I will endeavour to do that Ms Nova. The trouble is that whilst being beautiful on the outside, the inside of these particular models are all brown and horrible. (A bit like me really.)

BTW- I was surprised when you mentioned your other half a little while ago. (Something to do with crabs)

I didn't even know you had another half. Is he new?

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #31429 on: October 04, 2019, 12:42:44 PM »

A couple of weeks ago, she had to take the car in for an MOT, and asked me to check the tred on her tyres, as they felt a bit funny when she drove. 

So I look at them and said they look ok, maybe a bit more worn at the sides.

The car passed its MOT two weeks ago.  She has just rung me up and asked me to check her tyres again, as they still feel a bit funny. 

"But it passed its MOT, and they know better than I do if the tyres are too worn."

"Look up the 20p test on google and do that when I get home, I don't want to drive it if the tred is too low". 

Me  

Lol.

MOT testers are VERY strict when it comes to tyres. If it meets their stringent standards it will be fine.

The 20p test is worth knowing about though.

I'm massively in to tyre safety. I have a wife and four daughters who drive every day and I feel duty bound to keep an eye on things.

Also look for uneven wear (Tracking) and damage to side walls.

Make a habit of walking around the car to check for soft/under inflated tyres, and while you're at it, It's worth teaching your better half what the correct tyre pressure should be and how to check/adjust it whilst in a filling station.

(She never will, but it's a fun, show-off, blokey thing to do anyway)

I have tried to teach her many times.  I end up taking her car to the filling station once a month or so, frequently with one or two kids in tow.  Both the kids are adept at pumping up tyres now, but their mum is reluctant to learn.  She knows that the best day to check tyre pressures is always when it is tipping it down, and she isn't going out in that.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
roshambo

View Profile
« Reply #31430 on: October 04, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »

Anyhooo, here's a question for you. I've been wrestling with this one for years and can't make any real progress.

If there is anything that I do regularly, be it cook my breakfast, fit a plug, change a gas bottle, sit in a cafe or whatever, I always try to figure out the best or most advantageous way of doing it.

I work on the principle that if you think about something for long enough, you will eventually find a way of doing it better.

So here's the thing. When I walk into a public toilet, (To poop not to pee) and there are three or more cubicles, assuming they are all empty and seem to be of the same level of cleanliness, which one should I use?

It's no use saying it doesn't matter because I still have to choose one. Here are my thoughts so far.

Nearest the entrance, slightly less distance to walk.

Furthest from the entrance, slightly less chance of someone trying the door.

Middle, if some maniac jams the door and then tries to climb in from the next cubicle I can always escape in the opposite direction.

Urinals are easy, its the one best hidden from the outside but cubicles have me baffled.

One furthest from door as most likely to be clean, any cleaner will work from outside in so prob cleaned most often. Also if breaking your neck youll just use the closest so that one will be occupied most often and cleaned least.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31431 on: October 04, 2019, 01:24:43 PM »

Anyhooo, here's a question for you. I've been wrestling with this one for years and can't make any real progress.

If there is anything that I do regularly, be it cook my breakfast, fit a plug, change a gas bottle, sit in a cafe or whatever, I always try to figure out the best or most advantageous way of doing it.

I work on the principle that if you think about something for long enough, you will eventually find a way of doing it better.

So here's the thing. When I walk into a public toilet, (To poop not to pee) and there are three or more cubicles, assuming they are all empty and seem to be of the same level of cleanliness, which one should I use?

It's no use saying it doesn't matter because I still have to choose one. Here are my thoughts so far.

Nearest the entrance, slightly less distance to walk.

Furthest from the entrance, slightly less chance of someone trying the door.

Middle, if some maniac jams the door and then tries to climb in from the next cubicle I can always escape in the opposite direction.

Urinals are easy, its the one best hidden from the outside but cubicles have me baffled.

One furthest from door as most likely to be clean, any cleaner will work from outside in so prob cleaned most often. Also if breaking your neck youll just use the closest so that one will be occupied most often and cleaned least.

First class logic Mr Shambo. Now let's keep it to ourselves or we will defeat the object.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #31432 on: October 04, 2019, 03:45:25 PM »

Now here's a conundrum. We'll it's baffled me, perhaps one of you know the answer.

See the dwarf conifer below? Well while I was cutting the hedges I noticed that a frond/branch from one of the leylandii had fallen in to it.

When I tried to pull it out I realised that it hadn't fallen in there, but was actually growing from the dwarf conifer.

On close inspection it's sprouting from the trunk just like all the other, regular branches.

Anyone with half an eye can see that this branch is alien to the rest of the tree. I can't think of a rational explanation.

That is quite incredible.   Mixed race conifers.   Whatever next?   Have become a bit of a conifer expert as my mother is having all sorts of legal issues with her neighbours regarding the size of her conifer hedge.   Amazing how quick these things grow and the rows it causes with neighbours.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31433 on: October 04, 2019, 05:33:45 PM »

Home alone tonight. Gonna watch one of those classic films that somehow passed me by.

This evening's choice:

MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31434 on: October 04, 2019, 05:34:51 PM »

Everybody's talkin' at me....

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #31435 on: October 04, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »

Be interesting to see what you think - great film in my opinion - in my top 100 anyway

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31436 on: October 04, 2019, 06:02:40 PM »

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #31437 on: October 04, 2019, 06:04:28 PM »

Home alone tonight. Gonna watch one of those classic films that somehow passed me by.

This evening's choice:

MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

Brilliant film Tom.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31438 on: October 04, 2019, 06:26:40 PM »

This evening's choice:

MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

Brilliant film Tom.

Yes, really enjoying it. Can't believe it was released 50 years ago.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31439 on: October 04, 2019, 06:34:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 2092 2093 2094 2095 [2096] 2097 2098 2099 2100 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: