blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:52:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2098 2099 2100 2101 [2102] 2103 2104 2105 2106 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587394 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31515 on: October 10, 2019, 10:09:10 AM »

Although adults are included, the ban is ostensibly aimed at children.

Well how are you going to stop them eating on public transport? Remember, you're not allowed to smack the little fat bastards.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #31516 on: October 10, 2019, 10:21:32 AM »

Well how are you going to stop them eating on public transport? Remember, you're not allowed to smack the little fat bastards.

But if you read the whole story, it is one of a number of recommendations, and looks like a fairly minor one, given it is only suggested for local transport. The headline is clearly just for clicks. 

I think the best idea is just to educate them well at school.  My eldest's primary school was pretty hot on this and she is pretty evangelical about healthy eating and exercise.   She still eats some crap at times, but picks the healthy option frequently. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #31517 on: October 10, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »

But if you read the whole story, it is one of a number of recommendations, and looks like a fairly minor one, given it is only suggested for local transport. The headline is clearly just for clicks

I think the best idea is just to educate them well at school.  My eldest's primary school was pretty hot on this and she is pretty evangelical about healthy eating and exercise.   She still eats some crap at times, but picks the healthy option frequently. 

This is the problem I have had with the BBC for a while now, it is not a commercial network - so why does it keep acting like it is?

As for the story, I'd trust a doctor to say - there's a problem with childhood obesity; but I don't think they're remotely qualified to suggest what to do about it.

They're an expert on health and medicine, not on tax and public policy.

Smoking rates didn't decline because they taxed it so heavily (for example), they declined because of education and a shift in culture.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31518 on: October 10, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »

I definitely agree with you there Jon.

The BBC should be reporting the news, not steering it.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #31519 on: October 10, 2019, 02:12:24 PM »

She is the chief medical officer, so making pronouncements on impacts of public health are very much part of her role.  There should be very few more qualified people to suggest what to do about it, assuming she has performed her role well.

I'd say there was enough evidence to suggest that smoking rates are affected by taxation, but it isn't the full story.   There is little point in just increasing tax with inflation if your aim is to reduce consumption.  Each individual is going to quit/reduce for different reasons, I am not sure tax had much role in me quitting.

Another example is the Scottish minimum alcohol prices, where reductions of alcohol consumption have been noted recently.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #31520 on: October 10, 2019, 02:39:09 PM »

She is the chief medical officer, so making pronouncements on impacts of public health are very much part of her role.  There should be very few more qualified people to suggest what to do about it, assuming she has performed her role well.

The CMO is their to advise about health - (my interpretation) would be their job is to tell the government what the problem is and explain it to them; others would be their to work out the solution.

This one in particular has great medical expertise - but no background in Public Health before she was appointed.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #31521 on: October 10, 2019, 06:02:17 PM »

She is the chief medical officer, so making pronouncements on impacts of public health are very much part of her role.  There should be very few more qualified people to suggest what to do about it, assuming she has performed her role well.

The CMO is their to advise about health - (my interpretation) would be their job is to tell the government what the problem is and explain it to them; others would be their to work out the solution.

This one in particular has great medical expertise - but no background in Public Health before she was appointed.

Read the report and not the headlines, and after you have read it come back and tell me your attack on her was necessary.  I have read a lot of dull and useless reports in my life, but this isn't one of them (fwiw there is a lot of evidence referenced and multiple credited authors).  God knows why the headline writers have chosen to ridicule it on a very tiny recommendation from the 50 of so in it.  There is even a section on how the sugar tax has worked across all sections of society.  

The bits on childhood obesity vs the likes of France, UK breast feeding rates and takeaway size inflation were all pretty shocking, though maybe not altogether surprising.

I can't say I agree with every recommendation, and can't say they have included every single thing I would, but don't think that matters much.  

It is here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/time-to-solve-childhood-obesity-cmo-special-report

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #31522 on: October 10, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »

She is the chief medical officer, so making pronouncements on impacts of public health are very much part of her role.  There should be very few more qualified people to suggest what to do about it, assuming she has performed her role well.

Read the report and not the headlines, and after you have read it come back and tell me your attack on her was necessary.  I have read a lot of dull and useless reports in my life, but this isn't one of them (fwiw there is a lot of evidence referenced and multiple credited authors).  God knows why the headline writers have chosen to ridicule it on a very tiny recommendation from the 50 of so in it.  There is even a section on how the sugar tax has worked across all sections of society.  

The bits on childhood obesity vs the likes of France, UK breast feeding rates and takeaway size inflation were all pretty shocking, though maybe not altogether surprising.

I can't say I agree with every recommendation, and can't say they have included every single thing I would, but don't think that matters much.  

It is here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/time-to-solve-childhood-obesity-cmo-special-report

Maybe a bit harsh, I have read CMO reports in the past and the majority of these are along the lines that I would expect - basically what needs doing, rather than how to do it.

Headline writers are going to headline I guess - but banning food on public transport is something new which hasn't really been suggested before. And it does seem to fall more into the 'how' to do something rather than 'what' needs doing.

It is presumably to address the problem of 'empty' calories being consumed in transit; possibly related to the easy abundance of snack foods available. But I don't see any evidence in the report of that, and no evidence that banning would actually reduce that level rather than just transfer it to another location.

But, yes, the majority of the recommendations are pretty good and they are actionable in a way that leaves it to specific experts to interpret and apply.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #31523 on: October 10, 2019, 09:45:55 PM »

I’m going peterborough to Stansted on  Monday by train ,
Β£8 in cattle or Β£20 with food n drinks in first class
with a senior citizen railcard
Burp slurp πŸ₯©πŸ”πŸŸπŸ•πŸ—πŸΈπŸΈπŸ»πŸ»β˜•οΈβ˜•οΈ
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31524 on: October 10, 2019, 09:58:12 PM »

I’m going peterborough to Stansted on  Monday by train ,
Β£8 in cattle or Β£20 with food n drinks in first class
with a senior citizen railcard
Burp slurp πŸ₯©πŸ”πŸŸπŸ•πŸ—πŸΈπŸΈπŸ»πŸ»β˜•οΈβ˜•οΈ

That sounds like a great deal. How far are you travelling and how much does the rail card save you?

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #31525 on: October 10, 2019, 10:16:37 PM »

Doubt you will see the drinks trolley more than once if its the Bham-Stansted Cross country service via Leics.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31526 on: October 10, 2019, 10:16:58 PM »

I travelled 1st Class on an EMR train last week, ordered a sausage roll & was shocked when the somewhat brusque attendant plonked it down in front of me & stated "that'll be Β£4."

Never ever paid for food when travelling 1st on Network Rail before. 

To add insult to injury, the roll was not buttered. I repeat, not buttered. So vulgar. Do I look common?

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31527 on: October 10, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »

For balance, it was a well-maintained, beautifully clean Class 43 with slam-door stock. Thought I'd died & woke up in Heaven, life does not get better than that.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #31528 on: October 10, 2019, 10:23:30 PM »

EMR don't do any food/drinks for free in first class at the weekend i think.   Was it the weekend?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31529 on: October 10, 2019, 10:26:30 PM »

EMR don't do any food/drinks for free in first class at the weekend i think.   Was it the weekend?

No, Friday and Monday.

First time I've ever been charged for food in 1st class.

I was outraged, almost wrote to The Times and signed it "Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells".
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:28:07 PM by tikay » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 2098 2099 2100 2101 [2102] 2103 2104 2105 2106 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: