blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:16:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2146 2147 2148 2149 [2150] 2151 2152 2153 2154 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587623 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32235 on: December 26, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »

Merry Christmas Tom.

We’re having a very quiet one today. Just four for lunch, me, Mrs 3103, youngest daughter and the beautiful grandson she provided.
Two roasts, sprouts, carrots, peas, stuffing, roast potatoes, parsnips and carrot.

This is the first year that eldest hasn’t been with us but work duties call. So we will have a second Christmas Day on Sunday, with at least nine of us. That’s daughter,  son-in-law and at least five of her six children. Yep, I have a granddaughter that is old enough to have to work at Christmas.

Oh well, back to kitchen for me.

That all sounds wonderful David, especially the bit about roast parsnips, (it's the only way to eat them) and the daughter with six children.

Big families are common for us but less so in the civilised world. What gender and age range are they Dave, and do you get to see them often?

I hope you all have a fabulous Christmas and a healthy and prosperous new year.

Say what?

Anyway, the grandkids range from 3 to 19 in January.
5 grandsons, aged 3, 7, 12, 2@14
2 granddaughters are 5 and 19.

We have one of the 14yr olds living with us,  the others are in Norfolk so we see them at most holiday times. It’s always a fun time when they visit.

Plenty to keep you busy there David.

My Grandchildren are all young men and women now. It doesn't seem like two minutes since I used to chuck them in the back of a van and take them out somewhere.

Click to see full-size image.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:15:31 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32236 on: December 26, 2019, 11:21:02 AM »

My Christmas is now complete.
Lovely to chat Tom.
As always, your all in our thoughts today. Xx

And you in ours Maureen. X

It's Tommy's birthday tomorrow. He would be 36.

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32237 on: December 26, 2019, 11:46:52 AM »

What do you think, does everyone deserve time off at Christmas or do these people who earn mega-wages need to suck it up and get on with it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50903118

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #32238 on: December 26, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »

Mega wages don't assist the human body in recovery and/or injury prevention moving forward which is what this row is all about.   I think most players love playing football at xmas its the managers and medical staff who don't like the damage it does to optimal performance levels short term and injury rates later in the season from this schedule.

Managers calling it a 'crime' just annoys 99.9% of the population and it isn't the best way to approach the PR side of it.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32239 on: December 26, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »

I was watching an American TV show called Bait Car.

I don't know if you've seen it but what happens is the police put valuable items into a car, park it in a seedy/deprived area and leave the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition.

The car is fitted with microphones, multiple hidden cameras, a GPS tracking device and a 'Kill switch'. Then they wait until someone steals either the car or something from it.

The thief is almost always a down-and-out or a drug addict. Very occasionally they walk away but most of the time the temptation is too much to resist and they end up getting arrested. They spend some time in an overcrowded jail and their already extensive 'rap' sheet gets a little bit longer.

Surely this can't be a good use of their resources? 

Thinking about it, I bet they make a good profit when they sell the footage to the TV companies, but somehow that makes it seem worse.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32240 on: December 26, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »

Mega wages don't assist the human body in recovery and/or injury prevention moving forward which is what this row is all about.   I think most players love playing football at xmas its the managers and medical staff who don't like the damage it does to optimal performance levels short term and injury rates later in the season from this schedule.

Managers calling it a 'crime' just annoys 99.9% of the population and it isn't the best way to approach the PR side of it.

Yes, that makes more sense.

How do tennis players cope, isn't their schedule even more punishing?

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #32241 on: December 26, 2019, 12:27:11 PM »

Their schedule (travel wise) at least is very punishing over a year but they can pick and choose which events they play in.   There is no rigid schedule forced upon them.   Federer picks and choosing his events nowadays and plays probably half the events of a jobbing pro on the circuit across the year.  The reality though for most pros is the schedule destroys their body as the game gets more and more physical.  Murray/Nadal among others are examples of the relentless grind injury wise.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 12:30:20 PM by arbboy » Logged
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32242 on: December 26, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »

I've got access to all today's Premiership matches courtesy of my daughter's Amazon Prime membership.

The trouble is most of them are on at the same time.

Gonna watch Spurs-Brighton now and then obv Sheff Utd v Watford later.

Would love to watch Palace v Wham and Arse v mouth but meh, first world problems.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #32243 on: December 26, 2019, 01:10:21 PM »

Re festive football the people not given anythought in the scheduling are the (usually minimum wage) stadium workers, or the fans who actually go to games, when there is reduced public transport etc. I'm ill so have got someone else to use my ticket today, but for a change it's not a trip the length of Scotland in winter for the game.

Fitness wise tennis players amaze me, but they aren't geting kicked, so it's a different demand on the body I'd have thought.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32244 on: December 26, 2019, 01:22:53 PM »

Re festive football the people not given anythought in the scheduling are the (usually minimum wage) stadium workers, or the fans who actually go to games, when there is reduced public transport etc. I'm ill so have got someone else to use my ticket today, but for a change it's not a trip the length of Scotland in winter for the game.

Fitness wise tennis players amaze me, but they aren't geting kicked, so it's a different demand on the body I'd have thought.

Again all good points.

Realistically, what is the solution, extend the season?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32245 on: December 26, 2019, 02:14:07 PM »

I'm ill so have got someone else to use my ticket today

Have you got this man-flu thing Rod? If you have it's a real stinker and no mistake. Even the women are coming down with it, (Although it's not as bad for them obv)

I've had it for a month now, just when you think you're getting better, BOOM! back it comes.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #32246 on: December 26, 2019, 03:06:38 PM »

Mega wages don't assist the human body in recovery and/or injury prevention moving forward which is what this row is all about.   I think most players love playing football at xmas its the managers and medical staff who don't like the damage it does to optimal performance levels short term and injury rates later in the season from this schedule.

Again all good points.

Realistically, what is the solution, extend the season?

For football I'd have summer football (for Scotland anyway),but it's not fitting games in as much as TV wanting audiences. Problem is as TV makes it harder to attend games the atmosphere dies down making it less attractive for TV.

I'm watching Celtic (playing our 8th game in December with one more to go on the 29th), we'd 5 in November. It's not good for the players, or the fans.

The tennis season is also too long, players need some downtime and some recovery time. The tour needs shortened but it's a big moneyspinner and everybody wants their cut. I remember as a kid Jimmy Connors would come stay at the hotel up the hill from our house for 2 weeks every summer, the only tennis he played was  acouple of coaching sessions for local kids. Most players now struggle to get that much time off where they can get away from training and playing.

No man-flu, just a bad cold. Problem is being anaphlactic to antibiotics I need to be careful that it doesn't become a chest infection. There's only one tablet I can have (ie no rection so far) but generally me on antibiotics makes everyone nervous, so not powering through a cold is sensible for me, the hospitals struggle enough without having to find me a bed just so I can get drip fed different antibiotics.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 03:10:47 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32247 on: December 26, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »

Bollocks!

We had visitors turn up without warning so I've missed the football anyway.

Come to think of it, I made a mistake discussing it on this thread because now I will be avoiding the results so that I can watch it on match of the day.  Roll Eyes

If I confine it to the football threads then I can avoid those when I need to, but no spoilers on here please, pretty please, not even as a jokeLips Sealed

PS- I have asked nicely and I won't think it's funny.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32248 on: December 26, 2019, 05:50:52 PM »

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #32249 on: December 26, 2019, 07:16:14 PM »

Bollocks!

We had visitors turn up without warning so I've missed the football anyway.

Come to think of it, I made a mistake discussing it on this thread because now I will be avoiding the results so that I can watch it on match of the day.  Roll Eyes

If I confine it to the football threads then I can avoid those when I need to, but no spoilers on here please, pretty please, not even as a jokeLips Sealed

PS- I have asked nicely and I won't think it's funny.

I see this as a clear sign that your old man's been reading this diary.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 2146 2147 2148 2149 [2150] 2151 2152 2153 2154 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: