blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Beginners guide to Holdem Manager
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners guide to Holdem Manager  (Read 76777 times)
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 06:35:06 PM »

Short answer is I don't really know, but long answer - is it anything to do with running stuff as an administrator? I think I may have had this issue when playing on Full Tilt, because I wasn't running FTP as administrator. Not sure of details or why this happened, but you never know, it might help...
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 07:03:54 PM »

Think it was the user access control.   All sorted Smiley

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2009, 08:03:05 PM »

Two quick features I want to talk about this week. You may well know of these already, but this is supposedly a beginner’s guide to getting the most out of holdem manager, so I’m going to talk about them anyway.

Hand Historys.

The hand history windows corresponding to each table starts up automatically the first time you launched your HUD. It’s likely you might have closed them down because you didn’t have the room on your monitor to display them permanently.

If you have done this, that’s fair enough. I don’t have them up there all the time either, monitor real estate is always at a preimium.

Out of site, out of mind though. It’s easy to forget they are there, and it’s important that you know how to recall them quickly should you need them.
When you miss hands because you were busy with other tables or whatever, questions such as, “how much did he flat call pre flop with that J9o?” and “wtf just happened there” need to be answered.

One of the HUD elements displays the amount of the last 3 pots at the table, and who one them.
You can make sure it’s part of your HUD by going into HUD Options/Player Preferences.

If you select at least one hand to appear this box will appear on your HUD...

Click to see full-size image.

Left clicking on any of the hands on this box will resurrect the hand history window.
If it’s a different hand you want to look at, you can swich to a different hand with the drop down menu at the top of that new window.

TOP TIP :
If you want to copy and paste a hand, for posting in a forum, you can do so with one click by using the buttons at the top right of the hand history window. (Clicking does the ctrl+c bit for you, all that is left is the ctrl+v bit.)

When I'm playing a sesh, I like to have a notepad window open. Whenever I'm not too sure about a hand, I'll copy the hand history in the above manner and paste it to the notebook so I can review all such hands before the start of my next session.

There are other ways to mark hands for later review, (the top left hand corner of that hand history window for instance) but this is the method I use.

Big Stat Window

You’ve probably noticed a small pop-up comes up when you hover the mouse over a stat, and then disappears when you move the mouse again.
You’ve probably also noticed that huge massive pop-up screen with loads of info on it that comes up when you click on one of the HUD boxes accidentally. It blocks the whole table and tilts the life out of you till you manage to get rid of it by clicking again.

We'll call this the big stat window.

If we want to actually look at this window for longer than 2 seconds, there’s a problem because there’s usually some sort of poker game going on behind it that we need to keep an eye on.

It is useful to know that you can right click drag this pop-up. The same as you would right click drag any of the permanent HUD boxes.
Assuming you have some spare room on your monitor, you can now peruse this pop-up at your lesisure, without it blocking your view of the game in progress.

Click to see full-size image.

You’ll see numbers in brackets on this pop-up. That is the sample size you have for that particular stat.
If there are no brackets, then you have a sample size of over 100.

In the above example, taken from a losing regular from 827 hands of 7-9 handed play, we see that his PFR from the big blind is 6%. This is from a sample size of 99. (99 times he's been in the big blind with the option to raise, and he has elected to do so 6% of the time)
We also see that he has raised 8% of the time from the small blind. There is no bracketed figure after this number, this means the sample size is over 100.

(You might need to scroll blonde to the right to see what I'm talking about. The above two stats are on the right hand side of the screenshot.)

While not as immediately useful as the ability to look at hand historys, occasionaly looking at all the info in the big stat window while the game is in progress helps us slowly get more used to the stats and what they mean.

What I mean by this, is when you are playing such and such a player at the table, you can correlate your read on him (based on your observations of his playing style) to the stats.

In time, after we’ve done this with enough similar opponents, the hope is you’ll get a better idea for when it’s ok to flip things around, and start to get a read on players based on a given stat, crucially at what sample size it’s safe to draw conlusions with that sort of thing.

I like to have one of these windows open when I am winding down my session and only have one or two games left in progress. I've also started opening one at the beginning of my session too.

Next week...

Speaking of stats, back next week to have a talk about Aggression factor and what some of the numbers might mean.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 01:01:25 AM by thetank » Logged

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2009, 12:56:32 AM »

this is a really gr8 thread tank, well done and thanks for spending all the time doing it.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 07:29:17 AM »

Aggression factor

Your aggression factor is a number derived from the following simple formula...

(# times you bet + # times you raise) divided by (# times you call)

Both checking and folding have no affect on this number.

So it’s just a simple divosry sum where.
# times you bet + # times you raise = numerator
# times you call = denominator

Note : If the HUD has never seen a player call, because we can’t have a denominator of 0, their aggression factor will be displayed as ‘inf’ (infinity)

What does it do?

The idea behind aggression factor you would think is simply to quantify how aggressive someone is, hence the name.
As is pertains to STTs (I have literally no clue when it comes to cash games) I would suggest that you certainly don't think of aggression factor in these terms.

Bigger number = more aggressive player = they bluff more = I'll call them more.

It’s easy to fall into the following trap.
(Do not do this btw)

You have a hand that you would usually fold to a large bet. You notice that opponent has an aggression factor of 8 after about 100 hands and this is pretty high.Instead of insta-mucking you decide to hero call. His stat says he’s aggressive and that should mean he bluffs a lot right?

We have to remember how this number came about though. His high aggression factor may not be from a large numerator (betting and raising a lot), but rather from the sum just having a small denominator (the player not calling much)

In other words, we may be just as likely to be up against a nut peddler than a habitual bluffer. For this reason I would advise you don’t use aggression factor to indicate how often someone bluffs.

Other reasons not to use it in this manner.

First off, our old friends sample size and differing tournament dynamics possibly giving us a skewed figure. (In this case, the number gets as high as infinity!)

Secondly, it’s probably in our nature to want to make sick calls (coz that means we’re good at the pokah) and to look to the stats for some reason to call that may not be there. The Hero Call thread is not for STT players because of the ever present disparity between cEV and $EV.

If you’re in a situation where you’re unsure what the correct move is. A bad call in an STT will typically lose you a lot more EV than a good call will gain you. Lean towards folding when we’re not sure.

So what can we use it for?

If someone has a very low aggression factor, it’s fairly safe to proceed as if they were a calling station, because that’s what they probably are.

If someone has an aggression factor of less than 1 for instance, this means they’ve been calling more than betting and raising combined. So long as the sample size is over 50 or so hands, it’s a pretty safe bet to think them a calling station until you receive evidence to the contrary.

That’s the lot for this week. I can’t talk much more because I’m short on time.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
rossfourfive

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »

Quality thread tank, ty for writing it up. I'd be interested in the pros cons of using HEM over PT as i'm playing more STTs just now so would consider getting HEM if it's better for STTs than PT. Anyone tried both? What do you prefer?
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2009, 11:12:51 AM »

Nothing this week. 

Got to write an icky English essay instead. Poetry... fml
Back next week, ship it crucial.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2009, 08:11:41 PM »

Quicky, can't seem to find the answer, but does the tourney bit know what your prize money was, or can I tell it?   In the $ section it has 1 which I assume refers to a sng I won last night.  Does it work out the  money side of things or just finishing positions?

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2009, 08:13:44 PM »

Quicky, can't seem to find the answer, but does the tourney bit know what your prize money was, or can I tell it?   In the $ section it has 1 which I assume refers to a sng I won last night.  Does it work out the  money side of things or just finishing positions?

HEM should give you the correct prize money as well, it has done for all the sngs in my db.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2009, 08:19:56 PM »

Hmmm, some strange things going on in my HEM.  How does it know the prize money though, there's nothing in the HH files to say what you win, or how many people are in the tourney.

Longy

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2009, 08:40:26 PM »

Hmmm, some strange things going on in my HEM.  How does it know the prize money though, there's nothing in the HH files to say what you win, or how many people are in the tourney.

What type of sng was it?

HEM recognises what type of sng it is, then simply reads off where you finish and therefore knows what your payout should be.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2009, 08:45:05 PM »

My fault, it is working.  I've just realised I had two old sng's in there from a bit back. Just cashed in one and it updated correctly.

Jim-D

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »

In the tourney section, it's showing 16 STT's unfinished? any idea why that is and what i can do to maybe amend it?
Longy

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »

In the tourney section, it's showing 16 STT's unfinished? any idea why that is and what i can do to maybe amend it?

I get that if i disconnect during a set, i just enter them all manually if you right click on the tourney. Then tick on the player is finished as well as any prize you might have won.
Jim-D

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2009, 11:23:53 AM »

I get that if i disconnect during a set, i just enter them all manually if you right click on the tourney. Then tick on the player is finished as well as any prize you might have won.

Thanks mate
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: