blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laxie through the Looking Glass
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 ... 127 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie through the Looking Glass  (Read 176577 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1065 on: February 02, 2011, 06:18:35 PM »

Keeping a greyhound as a pet.

Pros and Cons?

In general or as opposed to other breeds?

The older I get, the better I was.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 02, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »

Pros and Cons?

Well, I want to buy one to race and Mrs Camel will only let me if we keep it as a pet after its racing days are over.

And she believes greyhounds don't make good pets + it will spend at least some its time on a farm, and she is worried it will bother the other animals.

She has alot of experience looking after dogs, but never a greyhound.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1067 on: February 02, 2011, 06:22:41 PM »

Greyhounds (Or any sight hounds) make great pets.

Only real con- very strong chase instinct.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 02, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »

This is the problem, there are chickens and peacocks on the farm. Will the hound make their life a misery or even kill them?

Can they be trained to ignore other animals?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1069 on: February 02, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »

This is the problem, there are chickens and peacocks on the farm. Will the hound make their life a misery or even kill them?

Yes it will kill them if you don't teach it not to.

The good news is, anyone with a modicum of dog-sense and a bit of determination can do it.
(I assume you're getting a puppy)

When (if) the time comes, I'll be happy to talk you through it.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 02, 2011, 06:38:20 PM »

The good news is, anyone with a modicum of dog-sense and a bit of determination can do it.

The problem is of course, if its an ex racer, it will be trained to chase and then we need to untrain it when it retires.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 02, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »

Pros and Cons?

LOL!!!  I was typing out the bits below out while the pair of ya were having a grand chat.  Still going to post it for people who don't live on a farm as such (which is the case with us) but are still curious about Cassie and/or the idea of Greyhounds as family pets based on what we've gone through.

I can only speak from my own experience with Cassie and Lily...and obviously I'm biased.  I adore the pair of them! 

Cassie was a leap of faith for us at the start.  I just knew it would work out and the rest of the people in the house had to trust me.  To be honest though, I've only ever known them as racing dogs and never considered them as pets.  If Cassie hadn't been stuck for a home it never would have occurred to me to adopt a Greyhound. 

Now that we've had so much time with her, I can honestly say the ONLY thing would ever put me off is how fragile their legs are.  And only because we tend to get very attached to our pets and hate to see them hurt.  When Cassie broke her leg in the field that time, you've no idea how distraught myself and the girls were.  There were tears flowing all over the shop.  When were were told there was a chance she couldn't be saved, I swore in my own mind for a split second we'd never again take on a Greyhound.  But we held tough and so did Cassie and it all worked out grand in the end. 

As for her behaviour around other animals?  Well, she gets on great with Lily and other large dogs, but I was warned to keep her away from smaller animals as she'll chase.  She'll never be a lover of cats...that's for sure.  She barks at cows in the back field, but she's never shown signs of wanting to chase them round the place.

With the kids?  She's absolutely fabulous!  With mine and any others that come to visit.  She's really great with all our visitors to be fair...not just kids.  That said, this house is like Grand Central Station a goodly bit of the time.  We've pretty much an open door policy and while she was slightly timid at first, she takes no notice of callers now.  In fact, she even tends to call over to them for a rub from the get go now, whereas initially she'd hide out in her corner until she was sure.

As for space?  We don't exactly have a mansion of a house.  It's a tidy terrace home with a wee front and back yard.  That said...there's no need for a mansion of a house.  She still manages to run round the place during play time just fine with us and realistically spends most of her time sleeping by the fire.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1072 on: February 02, 2011, 06:47:44 PM »

The problem is of course, if its an ex racer, it will be trained to chase and then we need to untrain it when it retires.

Not at all Keith. I've had dozens of lurchers, all bred and trained to hunt, kill and carry. They would grab a pheasant or a duck if they got a chance, but they knew to leave cats and chickens alone.

I had permission to walk the land on a few farms too, that wouldn't have lasted very long if my dogs chased the sheep.

Dogs have no trouble identifying "Off limit" animals, but it's far far easier to teach a young dog than "Unteach" a seasoned chicken killer.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1073 on: February 02, 2011, 06:50:14 PM »

BTW- Greyhounds don't have "Fragile legs" They just push them above and beyond the call of duty.

PS- Sorry Dawn. Jumped all over a question that was obv aimed at you.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 02, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »

BTW- Greyhounds don't have "Fragile legs" They just push them above and beyond the call of duty.

I'm abso delighted ya did to be honest.  I'm usually looking to you for the advice with this lot anyway.   

And if they don't have fragile legs - how do you get them used to not pushing above and beyond?

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 02, 2011, 06:59:39 PM »

There's also 5 cats at the farm (at last count). So there's another worry.

No sheep at least, but plenty of cows.

I dunno, I'm sure Jake will love a greyhound, but still in two minds if it is for the best.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1076 on: February 02, 2011, 07:00:47 PM »

I'm abso delighted ya did to be honest.  I'm usually looking to you for the advice with this lot anyway.   

And if they don't have fragile legs - how do you get them used to not pushing above and beyond?

You can't. it's what they're bred for. That being said, Cassie's accident was a freak occurrence. Usually it's just a sprain, a toe knocked up, a torn ligament or a stopper ripped off.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 02, 2011, 07:05:53 PM »

You can't. it's what they're bred for. That being said, Cassie's accident was a freak occurrence. Usually it's just a sprain, a toe knocked up, a torn ligament or a stopper ripped off.

I seem to be good at stumbling onto the freak occurrences in life. 

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 02, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »

It's often amazed me how people are all 'ooooooh, ahhhhhhh' over big houses and mansions.  Can't tell ya the number of times I've heard a person say, "If I ever win the lotto I'm going to build a mansion of a house." 

When I look at those types of houses the only thing going through my mind is, "I pity the fool who has to clean that."

Got my own house in order for the most part today and found myself thinking back to the summers spent in a caravan on the beach with the kids and Lily.  We got on just grand there.  In fact we had a great time there and I didn't have near as much cleaning to do in a day.  I promise if I ever win the lotto, I'll NEVER buy a mansion of a house.  Just sayin'...

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 02, 2011, 07:35:44 PM »

It's often amazed me how people are all 'ooooooh, ahhhhhhh' over big houses and mansions.  Can't tell ya the number of times I've heard a person say, "If I ever win the lotto I'm going to build a mansion of a house." 

When I look at those types of houses the only thing going through my mind is, "I pity the fool who has to clean that."

Got my own house in order for the most part today and found myself thinking back to the summers spent in a caravan on the beach with the kids and Lily.  We got on just grand there.  In fact we had a great time there and I didn't have near as much cleaning to do in a day.  I promise if I ever win the lotto, I'll NEVER buy a mansion of a house.  Just sayin'...

lol snap.  if i win the lotto I'd buy a nice 4 bedroomed place with enough room for me, hannah and visitors, and that's about it.  no point rattling around in a big old place where all the rooms will just be gathering dust.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 ... 127 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: