blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:22:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Big Boxing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 177 ... 455 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Boxing Thread  (Read 1138865 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: May 28, 2015, 09:08:28 PM »

Used to run a gym in Birmingham and had a gang of little nappers/hood rats hang around outside causing trouble. All very cheeky apart from this one lad who was a bit more respectful. One day this lad comes in and asks for free membership of the gym. I'm like WTF?? But he said he was a boxer, was training for the Commonwealth games and couldn't afford the gym fees.

I thought what the hell and did him a favour. The dude was Frankie Gavin and I watched him train over the next few months. Really dedicated sort, used to wrap himself in bin bags and run on the treadmill for hours. His bag work was a sight to behold, super fast hand speed. Always thought he would be special and so did he. Didn't see him for a few months and then he walked in dressed in his official tracksuit clutching the Commonwealth gold. Said he just wanted to show me and thanks for the favour etc. Really lovely lad and wish him the best of luck. Hope he sparks Brook clean out.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: May 28, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »

Used to run a gym in Birmingham and had a gang of little nappers/hood rats hang around outside causing trouble. All very cheeky apart from this one lad who was a bit more respectful. One day this lad comes in and asks for free membership of the gym. I'm like WTF?? But he said he was a boxer, was training for the Commonwealth games and couldn't afford the gym fees.

I thought what the hell and did him a favour. The dude was Frankie Gavin and I watched him train over the next few months. Really dedicated sort, used to wrap himself in bin bags and run on the treadmill for hours. His bag work was a sight to behold, super fast hand speed. Always thought he would be special and so did he. Didn't see him for a few months and then he walked in dressed in his official tracksuit clutching the Commonwealth gold. Said he just wanted to show me and thanks for the favour etc. Really lovely lad and wish him the best of luck. Hope he sparks Brook clean out.

Excellent story, and makes it even easier to root against Brook Cheesy

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: May 29, 2015, 01:27:34 AM »

Great story. Frankie went on to become our only world amateur champion. It's a shame the 2008 Bejing Olympic training methods bulked him up and being unable to make the lightweight limit he was sent home.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: May 29, 2015, 07:14:21 AM »

Any thoughts on thoughts on this weekends card guys?

I'll post about Khan and Gavin when I get back to my desktop.

I think Blackwell v Ryder could be the fight of the night. I have this very close to a flip. Blackwell is a tough kid and his move to Lockett is a big positive for me. Ryder has never really impressed me and can be a bit one dimensional as he looks for the big left.

Brook will be too big, too strong and too talented for Funtime but I think it goes to the cards.

Kingpin will take AJ a few rounds, I've not quite been able to pull the trigger on an AJ decision yet as I think the ref dives in during an AJ flurry even if Kingpin is unhurt so the hype train gets faster with the old he was able to do something Vitali etc couldn't.

I think Linares is too good for Mitchell.

I also have Selby v Gradovich closer than the bookies.

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: May 29, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »

The build up to this reveals the priorities in the Matchroom stable. Kell Brook is numbero uno and AJ is the future, they must be pumping an absurd amount of money into him.

Frankie Gavin looks a bit fleshy and underdeveloped at 147lb.  As per the night of Jo Jo Dan he'll look an entire weight division smaller thank Kell Brook. Size and a skill disadvantage is too big a hurdle to overcome and Frankie seems unaware of this as by his own admission he isn't getting paid much for this title shot. At first I thought he'd go the distance but after thinking about it I'm siding with Brook by TKO.

Hills are still going 1/8 on Kell Brook. After the weigh in and after the Betfair liquidity picks up this should start around 1.05. 1000's have already traded as low as 1.06.

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: May 29, 2015, 09:36:20 AM »

Currently the way the betting markets are formed is Paddy Power open up first, the line is slowly knocked into place by small bets. After a while unibet group and 365 tail them and last of all the high street firms come in, and none of them can take too opposing a stance as to create an arb. Notably back when AJ vs Johnson was scheduled for January, BoyleSports opened up at 4/5 AJ KO and 4/5 points.

It feels there's too much at stake in terms of AJ's US profile for him to not get the stoppage. Johnson stinks out every joint he fights in and the US fans must be gagging for him to get stopped. It'd be nice to know who the ref is for this one.

I think the Amir Khan vs Chris Algieri stoppage prices are completely wrong, as in Paddy Power opened so short on the KO that the line will influence peoples opinions on the fight. Yes Algieri will be out his depth, yes he will probably get dropped but there are some resilient pro's you don't want to be backing to get stopped. Then there's the new Amir Khan, welterweight, Al Haymon advised, Virgil Hunter trained, clinch, hit not get hit, don't take any risks, don't step it up when you get an opponent hurt. Khan by points / UD looks too good to be true.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: May 29, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »

The build up to this reveals the priorities in the Matchroom stable. Kell Brook is numbero uno and AJ is the future, they must be pumping an absurd amount of money into him.

Frankie Gavin looks a bit fleshy and underdeveloped at 147lb.  As per the night of Jo Jo Dan he'll look an entire weight division smaller thank Kell Brook. Size and a skill disadvantage is too big a hurdle to overcome and Frankie seems unaware of this as by his own admission he isn't getting paid much for this title shot. At first I thought he'd go the distance but after thinking about it I'm siding with Brook by TKO.

Hills are still going 1/8 on Kell Brook. After the weigh in and after the Betfair liquidity picks up this should start around 1.05. 1000's have already traded as low as 1.06.

I went into a hills shop this morning and got a fair lump on it no problem at 1/8.  They actually have a boxing coupon for this weekends big fights so it shouldn't be a problem getting on at all.  I watching Ringside last night and Gavin just sounds like he is turning up for a pay day (albeit not as much as he thinks he should be getting but still enough for it to probably be his biggest ever pay day).  He sounded like he knew he was out of his depth from his comments.  His body language didn't look convincing either.  Brook does look a different weight class to him.  There is plenty of bf liquidity now though and people are happy to lay 1.1 for a 5 figure amount now.

Pinnacle are 1/20 Brook and nearly 11.5/1 Gavin on their two way book with no draw. Betfair are the same price as pinnacle albeit with a draw as well.  Given 365 and vc (two of the shrewder uk boxing books) are also 8/1 (top on oddschecker with the firms) it looks a cracking bet at 1/8.  Think we should be having £160 to win £20 on TFT imo.  Any thoughts?

https://www.pinnaclesports.com/League/Boxing/Welterweight/1/Lines.aspx
http://www.oddschecker.com/boxing/kell-brook-v-frankie-gavin/winner
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:57:05 PM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: May 29, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »

Frankie Gavin looks a bit fleshy and underdeveloped at 147lb.  As per the night of Jo Jo Dan he'll look an entire weight division smaller thank Kell Brook. Size and a skill disadvantage is too big a hurdle to overcome and Frankie seems unaware of this as by his own admission he isn't getting paid much for this title shot. At first I thought he'd go the distance but after thinking about it I'm siding with Brook by TKO.

I went into a hills shop this morning and got a fair lump on it no problem at 1/8.  They actually have a boxing coupon for this weekends big fights so it shouldn't be a problem getting on at all.  I watching Ringside last night and Gavin just sounds like he is turning up for a pay day (albeit not as much as he thinks he should be getting but still enough for it to probably be his biggest ever pay day).  He sounded like he knew he was out of his depth from his comments.  His body language didn't look convincing either.  Brook does look a different weight class to him.  There is plenty of bf liquidity now though and people are happy to lay 1.1 for a 5 figure amount now.

Pinnacle are 1/20 Brook and nearly 11.5/1 Gavin on their two way book with no draw (ie they are happy to back Brook at nearly 1/12 for big amounts of money). Betfair are the same price as pinnacle albeit with a draw as well.  Given 365 and vc (two of the shrewder uk boxing books) are also 8/1 (top on oddschecker with the firms) it looks a cracking bet at 1/8.  Think we should be having £160 to win £20 on TFT imo.  Any thoughts?

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: May 29, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »

Pinnacle are 1/20 Brook and nearly 11.5/1 Gavin on their two way book with no draw. Betfair are the same price as pinnacle albeit with a draw as well.  Given 365 and vc (two of the shrewder uk boxing books) are also 8/1 (top on oddschecker with the firms) it looks a cracking bet at 1/8.  Think we should be having £160 to win £20 on TFT imo.  Any thoughts?

Yo, sounds like he's just turning up for a pay day and sounds like he knew he was out of his depth? This is from Ringside right? Gotta admit I didn't watch that show.

Have been following him on twitter and local papers though. "This could be a war trust me!", "Gonna do my absolute best", "Can't wait for Saturday", "Cannot wait to shine under them lights"

Birmingham Mail - "James DeGale did it last weekend and he was in the same squad as me. That's given me the belief I can do it. Everything has gone to plan. I wont let the fans down. I've trained hard and pushed myself to places I've never been before. On my day I'm up there with the best in the world and if I get everything right I will be world champion"

This kid is very humble and down to earth, not very articulate or with a cocky attitude but rest assured there is zero chance he is turning up for a pay day. He was hugely successful as an amateur and after lots of frustrations and knock backs he finally has his shot. He's got several thousand brummies travelling down in support, he's trained harder than ever before, preparations have gone perfectly and this is his one and only crack at the world title. Sure I do expect him to lose and he might be outclassed but if you consider all the info and not just one show it would be hard to conclude he isn't going to give this everything he has. Obv as a brummie and knowing this lad I'm supremely biased but still, I think you picked up on his humble demeanour as opposed to any lack of belief or commitment.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: May 29, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »

Frankie was in really close matches with Bradkey Skeete and Leonard Bundu  we saw Bundu was severely outclassed by Keith Thurman. Brook is too big, strong an skill full. I'm happy to rec 1/8.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: May 30, 2015, 01:08:48 PM »

Paddy and Lads prices on overs in AJ's fight look generous and the single figure odds on AJ round 1 stoppage is an incredibly defensive piece of pricing.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: May 30, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »

Paddy and Lads prices on overs in AJ's fight look generous and the single figure odds on AJ round 1 stoppage is an incredibly defensive piece of pricing.

Rpost guy put up paddys 11/10 over 4.5 rounds on aj's fight fwiw.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: May 30, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »

Rpost guy put up paddys 11/10 over 4.5 rounds on aj's fight fwiw.

hopefully he's a decent judge Wink

Sam Foulkes the Coral guy is good and he's he likes Johnson / dislkikes AJ by stoppage.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: May 30, 2015, 06:28:57 PM »

The 11/10 is a nice price. I've also pulled the trigger on him hearing the final bell. Kingpin will be as negative as possible and look to spoil. I'm hopeful that when AJ sees that he won't just buckle like everyone else he has fought so far that he eased off the gas.

I've also taken the 7/2 Brook by UD. Gavin's fights are often borefests and I'm hoping he can manage to turn this in to one. He doesn't have anything to trouble Brook and the size difference is a concern but 7/2 is fair.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: May 30, 2015, 06:52:37 PM »

Have they announced the ref for AJ,s fight?
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 177 ... 455 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: