blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tips for Tikay
Pages: 1 ... 8683 8684 8685 8686 [8687] 8688 8689 8690 8691 ... 9207 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for Tikay  (Read 13331051 times)
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #130290 on: September 25, 2017, 09:50:27 PM »

well in terms of appearances he had a potential extra 8 league games a season when he was at spurs.

its as good a cut off as any, it was literally a break-away league. you can call it top flight football but it is a new league as well as a new era, with all the clubs resigning from the football league.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #130291 on: September 25, 2017, 11:57:54 PM »

I think congrats are in order for Gareth Barry, who makes a record 633rd appearance in the EPL tonight. That's quite something in this day & age - well done him.

But why only count top flight appearances since 1992?

I like the separation of the stats. its not unprecedented, we have always spoke of pre and post war records.

there are fewer games played per season now, so goal / appearance records across seasons and careers will be different, and the standard of football is muh better. there isnt as much room for outliers to produce exceptional numbers.

Meh.  Seems arbitrary to base it on a television deal.  Can't see why Gascoigne output for Spurs is discounted but him waddling around for Everton 5 years later is somehow deemed to be in a more enlightened standard of football.

The absolute worst thing the Premier League and TV deal has brought imo is the fake records and stats that mean abs nothing in regards to the complete history of top flight football. Similar thing has happened in the darts world too when that guy that hosts the darts on there asked Mark Webster if he was going to handle the pressure of his first World Championship semi final and Phil Taylor had to tell him that Webbo was actually a BDO World champion and had played in many big events.

To which the host replied' Not in a Major televised on Sky tho'

Like the history of darts doesn't count unless it was shown on Sky too.

There is a whole generation of football fans that think Man City's 2012 title win  is the smallest winning margin in the top Division simply because the broadcasters chose to ignores Arsenal's 1989 win because the name of the tournament was different. Arsenal won that title on goals scored after points and goal difference were identical after scoring the winning goal against the league leaders with under a minute left to play.

Sky don't have rights to show that coverage tho, so apparently it doesn't count.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #130292 on: September 26, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »

I think congrats are in order for Gareth Barry, who makes a record 633rd appearance in the EPL tonight. That's quite something in this day & age - well done him.

But why only count top flight appearances since 1992?

I like the separation of the stats. its not unprecedented, we have always spoke of pre and post war records.

there are fewer games played per season now, so goal / appearance records across seasons and careers will be different, and the standard of football is muh better. there isnt as much room for outliers to produce exceptional numbers.

Meh.  Seems arbitrary to base it on a television deal.  Can't see why Gascoigne output for Spurs is discounted but him waddling around for Everton 5 years later is somehow deemed to be in a more enlightened standard of football.

The absolute worst thing the Premier League and TV deal has brought imo is the fake records and stats that mean abs nothing in regards to the complete history of top flight football. Similar thing has happened in the darts world too when that guy that hosts the darts on there asked Mark Webster if he was going to handle the pressure of his first World Championship semi final and Phil Taylor had to tell him that Webbo was actually a BDO World champion and had played in many big events.

To which the host replied' Not in a Major televised on Sky tho'

Like the history of darts doesn't count unless it was shown on Sky too.

There is a whole generation of football fans that think Man City's 2012 title win  is the smallest winning margin in the top Division simply because the broadcasters chose to ignores Arsenal's 1989 win because the name of the tournament was different. Arsenal won that title on goals scored after points and goal difference were identical after scoring the winning goal against the league leaders with under a minute left to play.

Sky don't have rights to show that coverage tho, so apparently it doesn't count.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130293 on: September 26, 2017, 09:03:44 AM »

The argument about matches played doesn't really stack up either, when teams played the same number in 1991/2 as in 1992/3 for example. Surely records should begin with the 94/5 season if that's the point?

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130294 on: September 26, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »

I guess nobody else agrees with me then, 5 or 6 different respondents, not one of whom thought Mr Barry has earned a pat on the back or a word of congrats.

I don't necessarily agree, or disagree, with the comments incidentally, though I do think top flight football in England changed enormously after the EPL got up & running. It's almost like BC & AD, it seems a good point in time to start again with stats, but I don't really feel that strongly. It's a different issue really.

In modern times, it's highly unusual for a player to play 600+ games in the top flight. He's gone about his work quietly & consistently, too, & I don't recall too many instances of him doing a flounce, throwing a wobbly, or fornicating with elderly spinsters.

He's also played for England at U16, U18, U21, England B (whatever that is or was) & 53 caps for the England Team proper.

Tough audience, you guys. Wink

Anyway, here's the man when he was a boy. Which was before some of you here had started school, or were even born.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130295 on: September 26, 2017, 09:33:28 AM »

I guess nobody else agrees with me then, 5 or 6 different respondents, not one of whom thought Mr Barry has earned a pat on the back or a word of congrats.

I don't necessarily agree, or disagree, with the comments incidentally, though I do think top flight football in England changed enormously after the EPL got up & running. It's almost like BC & AD, it seems a good point in time to start again with stats, but I don't really feel that strongly. It's a different issue really.

In modern times, it's highly unusual for a player to play 600+ games in the top flight. He's gone about his work quietly & consistently, too, & I don't recall too many instances of him doing a flounce, throwing a wobbly, or fornicating with elderly spinsters.

He's also played for England at U16, U18, U21, England B (whatever that is or was) & 53 caps for the England Team proper.

Anyway, here's the man when he was a boy. Which was before some of you here had started school, or were even born.

Haha, fair point tikay, and yes I do agree with you that it is an impressive number of games at the top level in any day and age, just not a record number Wink

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130296 on: September 26, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »

Haha, fair point tikay, and yes I do agree with you that it is an impressive number of games at the top level in any day and age, just not a record number Wink

I agree with what you say, but I never said it was.

who makes a record 633rd appearance in the EPL

Amazing, even the only person prepared to acknowledge the chaps longevity does so grudgingly.

Let me ask another question. Is there ANY professional footballer plying his trade in England who we think is deserving of the occasional kind comment or word of appreciation?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130297 on: September 26, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »

It wasn't meant grudgingly, I'd hoped the winky got that across so apologies if not!

As I said, I agree with you, it is impressive.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130298 on: September 26, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »

I should maybe add that today I am exceedingly & unusually grumpy.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #130299 on: September 26, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »

Fair play to Barry.

So many pro's reach their early 30s (or sometimes sooner) and start dropping down the divisions, but not this guy. When you're game isn't built around speed, it gives you a huge advantage. Barry is so slow it probably took him weeks to get out the womb when he was born, but he has a sharp footballing mind and has kept himself in great condition.

He was an excellent signing for City back in the day. Not gonna set the back pages alight, but went about his job in a quietly effective way. And when he does eventually retire, he has a lovely Premier League winners medal to fuss over.

If you look at his appearance stats, they are quite incred; from the 98/99 season to last season, there was only one year where he made less than 30 PL appearances (20 in 01/02), every other season has been 30+. Maybe been lucky to not pick up any serious injuries, but sometimes you make your own luck, and his professionalism to the game has undoubtedly assisted in keeping him on the pitch and not on the treatment table.

Best Bitter.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #130300 on: September 26, 2017, 12:28:27 PM »

Was listening to 5Live on Monday. One of the contributors said that Barry's reviews from his fellow professionals were even more effusive off the record than on. I always considered him as a "journeyman", Paul Scholes mkII (& I'm no MU fan), which is perhaps a little unkind.

More importantly, I hope that he makes a success of his post-playing career, too. At least I hope he gets the chance in what's an increasingly continental obsessed game.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130301 on: September 26, 2017, 12:40:35 PM »

Was listening to 5Live on Monday. One of the contributors said that Barry's reviews from his fellow professionals were even more effusive off the record than on. I always considered him as a "journeyman", Paul Scholes mkII (& I'm no MU fan), which is perhaps a little unkind.

More importantly, I hope that he makes a success of his post-playing career, too. At least I hope he gets the chance in what's an increasingly continental obsessed game.

He seems very level-headed & grounded, & is very close with his family.

Pretty sure he'll find a useful job somewhere, & will serve his employers well. Doubt he needs money, obv, but even if you are loaded, we all need a purpose in life.

Anyway, enough said, back to digging out others, which many seem to enjoy more. Funny old game.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:42:11 PM by tikay » Logged

rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #130302 on: September 26, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »

Who do we think will be the next player to break that record? There is only one player in the top 200 who is 28 or under - one Adam Johnson, who seems long odds to add to his appearance tally.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130303 on: September 26, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »

Who do we think will be the next player to break that record? There is only one player in the top 200 who is 28 or under - one Adam Johnson, who seems long odds to add to his appearance tally.

With football at the upper echelons changing so much, I'm not sure it will ever be broken.

We don't even know if the EPL as we know it will survive, do we?

On which note, I see that a Women's Super League started last weekend. The BBC are covering it prominently, its all over their website, even Match reports. At the risk of being called sexist, how many people are interested in top flight women's football?

Bet nobody here  - amongst which are plenty of football experts - knows who is top?

To save you cheating, here you go;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/womens-super-league/table

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130304 on: September 26, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

a keeper,butland or pickford could play for another 15-20 years and began playing in the league early

fitness permitting obviously

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 8683 8684 8685 8686 [8687] 8688 8689 8690 8691 ... 9207 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: