blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:32:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Independence Referendum
Poll
Question: Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?
Yes - because it would be better for the Scots
Yes - because the rest of the UK would be better off without the Scots
Don't really know
Don't care
No, the Union is a good thing

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 ... 114 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Independence Referendum  (Read 191307 times)
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: September 10, 2014, 06:03:13 PM »

Are we chipping in for their moving van too?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29142436

I chipped in back in 1997. 
Somerled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #871 on: September 10, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »

I boycotted a pack of Scottish strawberries today in favour of a pack from Yorkshire  dad dont dance

Was actually going to ask that very question as I have no idea.

This is only for the non-Scots by the way.

If we do have a yes vote, would you be affected in your buying choices? if, for example, there were 3 items of comparable price and quality, 1 Scottish, 1 English, 1 from Spain would you be more or less likely to buy the Scottish one, or would it make no difference at all?

Haven't seen any information on this at all, and it's way more important than trading with EU for example.

Beer from Loch Ness, obviously.

Finally someone with good sense and intelligence. 👍😄
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 10, 2014, 06:05:25 PM »

arbbhoy quoting DM isn't hard to find something to back up the NO campaign, DM are flying the flag for the NO campaigners you might as well link to a better together article on there own website it will be more impartial

ok I know the yes camp on here are linking to wingsoverscotland stuff etc but not of these articles on either side are impartial and should be read with a pinch of salt

I do believe the bbc is impartial despite the yes campaign thinking the opposite

I am not interested in the DM writers view but simply the quotes from major scottish business leaders.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 10, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »

Business leaders by their very nature are going to be conservative (small c) because by virtue of being business leaders things are going fairly well for them as they stand and change provides uncertainty but we don't (or at least shouldn't) run our countries for their benefit.  If we went back 300 years plantation owners (business leaders of their day) would be saying that abolishing slavery was going to ruin their businesses but that is not a moral reason not to do it.  Businesses come and go and independence could easily provide new opportunities through tax breaks the new government set up to attract business etc.  Obviously that might not be great for the rest of the UK but Scotland are voting based on what is good for them and there is no guarantee at all this will be bad for them.  It may be different and in the short term there may be some pain but in the long term Glasgow and Edinburgh might be able to compete with London in ways that would never have been possible if they remained within the union.  Incidentally I am neither pro or against as an Englishman but if I was Scottish i suspect i would probably be voting for a chance to have a bigger say in my own destiny.

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 10, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »

arbbhoy quoting DM isn't hard to find something to back up the NO campaign, DM are flying the flag for the NO campaigners you might as well link to a better together article on there own website it will be more impartial

ok I know the yes camp on here are linking to wingsoverscotland stuff etc but not of these articles on either side are impartial and should be read with a pinch of salt

I do believe the bbc is impartial despite the yes campaign thinking the opposite

Its not the yes campaign that thinks the opposite of the BBC it was a prof. of media at the West of Scotland Univeristy. 

As for Wings Over Scotland it doesn't produce stories, it provides analysis of the news reported.   
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 10, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »

I am not interested in the DM writers view but simply the quotes from major scottish business leaders.

You still don't get it do you. 

Standard Life made these threats in 1997 regarding devolution they are still here, the news from BP is not new their chief executive had previously thrown his weight behind being part of the UK. 

The figures of oil are disputed, even Sir Ian Wood can't make his mind up. 

But as has been pointed out, these are not the issues that will decide this referedum. 
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 10, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »

Its not the yes campaign that thinks the opposite of the BBC it was a prof. of media at the West of Scotland Univeristy. 

As for Wings Over Scotland it doesn't produce stories, it provides analysis of the news reported.   

Seems a bit rich to name drop credentials when all No experts are apparently wrong. A Nobel prize winning economist said you should be "very afraid" for wanting independence.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 10, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »

Survation Scottish Independence Poll:

Yes 42.4% No 47.6% Don't Know 9,9%

Excluding Don't knows: Yes 47% No 53%

just released

there is a ICM coming later apparently

https://twitter.com/search?q=survation%20poll&src=typd for the range of comments

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 10, 2014, 06:27:04 PM »

just released

https://twitter.com/search?q=survation%20poll&src=typd for the range of comments

Was this taken after two jags put forward a joint football team ?.....knew that would swing it.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 10, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »

It is indeed hard to believe that there is no credible plan ahead of the vote.

It should have been stated clearly what the plan was (with Westminster approval) both in terms of currency, assets and debt.   At that point the voters can decide.  I'm pretty sure this would have given some of the "no" voters the confidence to vote differently as well.

What rational person would risk the value of their house/savings/pensions etc etc by voting yes with so little upside yet so much potential downside when such fundamental policies are not cast in stone before the vote?  Just makes no sense at all.  Maybe the value of Tennant's super is more important than these issues to the yes crew! Grin

I know you find it hard to believe mark but there is more to life(and this vote) than economics and money.  Self determination is very important and not everybody wants things like the lowest taxes, they value things like education, healthcare  and community and given independence they will be able to determine those priorities for themselves democratically rather than be lumped in with a country which, for a large part votes for parties that are eroding all of those things on a daily basis.

I appreciate this but at what price are you willing to risk your personal wealth to get this and the uncertainty it brings?  The Scottish are well known as being more risk averse/tight/canny than your average nation with their money (whether this is just a myth or not that's up for debate elsewhere) so i just find it amazing how they are willing to take such financial risks personally and collectively to get this.  I have no problem if they want to gamble the bank on it good luck to them.

Huge parts of the Scottish electorate have no personal wealth and they are seeing their rights, benefits and opportunities eroded at the expense of protecting the wealth of what is basically a minority of middle class, English (mainly) swing voters that Cameron and the Coalition (and also Milliband, Blair, new Labour etc) pander to in order to win elections.

Interesting use of English and Scottish.  Just the sort of trick Alex Salmond us to appeal to the poor.  Given the relative wealth difference between your average Scot and your average Brit, presumably the Scottish middle class has got rich off the back of the downtrodden English poor?  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 10, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »

Regarding daily mail it is irrelevant where it comes from if it is a quote. A newspaper isn't going to make up a direct quote. Arbboy can get the quotes from elsewhere if it really bothers people but that seems a waste of time frankly.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 10, 2014, 06:33:17 PM »

just released

Was this taken after two jags put forward a joint football team ?.....knew that would swing it.

the pound has popped back up 50c against the dollar since it came out. Perhaps he should reinstate the Home Internationals?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 10, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »

just released

the pound has popped back up 50c against the dollar since it came out. Perhaps he should reinstate the Home Internationals?

bf has moved 1.45 into 1.35 no since as well. 
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 10, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »

just released

Good idea....but jumpers for goal posts, obviously  Wink
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 10, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »

Highest share yes has held in a survation poll.  But the results weren't supposed to be released till after 10pm this evening I wonder why the sudden change. 
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 ... 114 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: