blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Racing Thread
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 286 287 [288] 289 290 291 292 ... 400 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Racing Thread  (Read 1016113 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4305 on: July 23, 2016, 12:16:04 PM »

What do you think these bands get for these nights?  Someone told me an incredible figure The Human League were reported to get for their gig at Uttox the other week after racing.  I imagine the bands at much bigger tracks like York are getting even more.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:19:02 PM by arbboy » Logged
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: July 23, 2016, 12:54:42 PM »

What do you think these bands get for these nights?  Someone told me an incredible figure The Human League were reported to get for their gig at Uttox the other week after racing.  I imagine the bands at much bigger tracks like York are getting even more.

We were discussing this last night. Hard to put a figure on I think. Will they get X up front plus a cut of ticket sales? If you saw Kaiser Chiefs on tour you're looking at £30 a ticket....

I think we settled on £50k but this could be way too much or far too little, really don't know!

Best Bitter.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: July 23, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »

We were discussing this last night. Hard to put a figure on I think. Will they get X up front plus a cut of ticket sales? If you saw Kaiser Chiefs on tour you're looking at £30 a ticket....

I think we settled on £50k but this could be way too much or far too little, really don't know!

Would go quite a bit higher.  Maybe £200,000.  They are putting 10k people on the gate? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: July 23, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »

Wonder what the difference in £££ is between the Friday night act and Saturday afternoon one?

Kaiser Chiefs much bigger draw than The Corrs IMO, obv still relevant in music terms and got a new album on the way. A good act for casual music fans as they have a decent back catalogue that most people will know of at least a few hits.

No idea when the Corrs last released anything new? Surprised to read they have shifted 30m albums though!

Arb, what was the figure you were quoted for Human League?

Best Bitter.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: July 23, 2016, 05:41:49 PM »

A client of mine has a share in one running tomorrow night at Saratoga in the 10:40.  The horse is called Sympathy, he gave me a lot of background on it it before, I think it was considered quite a classy filly and big things were expected but she got injured or something and was then sent to America.  Chad Brown has apparently done very well with her getting her back to peak fitness. 

The same fella has given me this horse before and 3 other winner from 4 selections so I can't see it being a bad bet. 

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: July 23, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »

Uttox sold out at 10,000 tickets at £35 i think it was.  For a Saturday evening summer meeting they would probably do 4-5k tickets at £25 normally i would imagine just to give it some context to the size of York.  Kaisers are in a diff league pulling power wise in 2016 to the Human League and that is reflected in the size of the course they attend.  I think Doobs is right around the mark. I would have said £200-250k for them last night.  I was told big five figures for THL at Uttox.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: July 24, 2016, 11:40:11 AM »

Uttox sold out at 10,000 tickets at £35 i think it was.  For a Saturday evening summer meeting they would probably do 4-5k tickets at £25 normally i would imagine just to give it some context to the size of York.  Kaisers are in a diff league pulling power wise in 2016 to the Human League and that is reflected in the size of the course they attend.  I think Doobs is right around the mark. I would have said £200-250k for them last night.  I was told big five figures for THL at Uttox.

I think you might be right, judging how pissed Ricky Wilson was yesterday when he joined Shed Seven on stage for their cover of I Predict A Riot.

I'd have been nailing the champers all day if my band had just been paid a quarter milly ball to play to some races drunks for 90 mins the previous night Smiley

Best Bitter.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: July 24, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »

Fair Eva a special filly, more like Frankel than Frankel ever was. 5-1 for the Guineas looks decent to me.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: July 24, 2016, 12:26:35 PM »

Fair Eva a special filly, more like Frankel than Frankel ever was. 5-1 for the Guineas looks decent to me.

Yeah, that was a breathtaking performance.

Listen will have a few up his sleeve, no doubt. They'll need to be special, if she stays well, and trains on.

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: July 24, 2016, 12:35:24 PM »

'Training on' is a phrase that's rather gone out of fashion. Used to hear it all the time. High Estate was a classic example back in the day. It just doesn't seem to be a thing any more. Air Force One would be an obvious case this season.

Frankel seems to be passing on all his traits to his offspring. Keen-going, all at least good, and Fair Eva a potential superstar. Charlton just needs to keep a lid on her and find someone who's not going to ride her in the Guineas like Queally rode her old man. That lolride would have ruined some horses.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: July 24, 2016, 05:33:15 PM »

I'm too new in the game to know any better, regarding them 'training on', but AFB was the first one that sprang to mind, obv.

I had a pony freebet that I used at 9/1 right after the race, which will hopefully give me a sweat.

They said she almost broke the course 2yo course record, too.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: July 24, 2016, 05:42:42 PM »

Arazi, Celtic Swing absolute monsters at 2.  Sure they both won at 3, but never reached the heights.  Think Celtic Swing might even have won the French Derby, but it was a bit meh then.  Memory fail again, but on the phone and can't be starting again after fact checking.

Sure O'Brien has had another fairly recently that never trained on after becoming highest rated at 2, and what was that horse they just retired when it was 2.  Ridiculous.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: July 24, 2016, 05:52:57 PM »

Arazi, Celtic Swing absolute monsters at 2.  Sure they both won at 3, but never reached the heights.  Think Celtic Swing might even have won the French Derby, but it was a bit meh then.  Memory fail again, but on the phone and can't be starting again after fact checking.

Sure O'Brien has had another fairly recently that never trained on after becoming highest rated at 2, and what was that horse they just retired when it was 2.  Ridiculous.

Holy Roman Emporer was the one that retired at 2.  Sure I was thinking of One Cool Cat as the next big thing in its time.  Won some crappy sprint at 3 and retired. 

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: July 24, 2016, 07:09:06 PM »

Celtic Swing did indeed win the French Derby and Peter 'Jimmy' Saville got a lot of stick for it. That's where 'Sad, Mad, Bad' came from. Was the Racing Post headline after they decided to duck Epsom and head to Chantilly.

'Jimmy' later called one of his horses Sad Mad Bad. He also had Jimmy The Skunk named after him but that's another story.

JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: July 24, 2016, 09:48:48 PM »

arazi had an op that probably ruined it, didnt need to train on?

Think theres a fair few lately been ruined by attempts to make them stay a mile when they are all pace, tiggy wiggy, AFB, buratino. They appear to blunt their pace for me as they dont even need to get much better if theyd just stuck to sprinting, then cant win sprints thereafter.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 286 287 [288] 289 290 291 292 ... 400 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: