blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 1082 1083 [1084] 1085 1086 1087 1088 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2199398 times)
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16245 on: January 21, 2019, 05:07:10 PM »

Hang on a mo...

Leaving the EU is only going to limit EU migrants, it isn't going to reduce asylum seekers or refugees.

Are we not getting things mixed up here?

The people Adz is referring to are not going to be effected by Brexit are they?

I think the real dirty ones find a way into the EU under one loop hole or another(their brother in laws aunt etc) and then home in on the UK and the soppy feckers that let them come over and bleed us dry. I dont see too many migrants making a direct beeline for us they have to plot their way here, and we are obliged to then take them, once they are in the EU. If we are not bound by EU rules, this will hopefully stop...

Crack on with the xenophobe/racist name calling. Reality is all I want is to stop the mass in flood of people into this country taking British jobs. I would much rather see our Government create an environment whereby people HAVE TO work, thus there is no need to have such an migration problem. They seem incapable of creating this and so we have to tackle the problem in reverse, and if we don't have people taking the jobs maybe we will review the way we educate/give benefits, so those that just want to watch Kyle instead of doing menial jobs, are forced into work.

No doubt some of the haters are quite happy with the staus quo.....maybe the fact they are able to reply at 11.30 on a Monday means they are even one of the great unwashed themselves Cheesy........

I wasn't trying to call you a xenophobe or racist Adz.

I just think there is a general misunderstanding of what changes to EU immigration would mean for say Polish workers, and how it would effect immigrants/refugees.
Even though we may not be bound by the EU rules moving forward, I doubt we will take a hard line on immigrants/refugees.

I am always a big fan of anyone who says 'They took our jobs!' always reminds me of....

Click to see full-size image.

I'm sat here at work thanks, I could watch Jezza at work if I wanted but I choose not to, I even had a shower this morning. x

Sorry, Stu, I should have answered you and pokergrumps, one at a time.

As an aside, the Polish numbers in our town have reduced massively in the last couple of years as they panic and think they will be better off "at home"....

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #16246 on: January 21, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »

Hang on a mo...

Leaving the EU is only going to limit EU migrants, it isn't going to reduce asylum seekers or refugees.

Are we not getting things mixed up here?

The people Adz is referring to are not going to be effected by Brexit are they?

I think the real dirty ones find a way into the EU under one loop hole or another(their brother in laws aunt etc) and then home in on the UK and the soppy feckers that let them come over and bleed us dry. I dont see too many migrants making a direct beeline for us they have to plot their way here, and we are obliged to then take them, once they are in the EU. If we are not bound by EU rules, this will hopefully stop...

Crack on with the xenophobe/racist name calling. Reality is all I want is to stop the mass in flood of people into this country taking British jobs. I would much rather see our Government create an environment whereby people HAVE TO work, thus there is no need to have such an migration problem. They seem incapable of creating this and so we have to tackle the problem in reverse, and if we don't have people taking the jobs maybe we will review the way we educate/give benefits, so those that just want to watch Kyle instead of doing menial jobs, are forced into work.

No doubt some of the haters are quite happy with the staus quo.....maybe the fact they are able to reply at 11.30 on a Monday means they are even one of the great unwashed themselves Cheesy........

I wasn't trying to call you a xenophobe or racist Adz.

I just think there is a general misunderstanding of what changes to EU immigration would mean for say Polish workers, and how it would effect immigrants/refugees.
Even though we may not be bound by the EU rules moving forward, I doubt we will take a hard line on immigrants/refugees.

I am always a big fan of anyone who says 'They took our jobs!' always reminds me of....

Click to see full-size image.

I'm sat here at work thanks, I could watch Jezza at work if I wanted but I choose not to, I even had a shower this morning. x

Sorry, Stu, I should have answered you and pokergrumps, one at a time.

As an aside, the Polish numbers in our town have reduced massively in the last couple of years as they panic and think they will be better off "at home"....

From what I read, I would say so.

However, I haven't been round the entire uk to add first hand credence to the fact, if that's what you are asking.

Genuine question, where do you read about this?

Tommy's FB page.

I should acknowledge your annual amusing comment mate

Yeah, but seriously, where do you read about this?

Still waiting for the source of all this information about the massive influx of people who are simultaneously taking British jobs and bleeding us dry via the benefits system.

Posted at 1.37pm, washed and dressed even though I don’t have a job these days. Retirement is fucking awesome.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16247 on: January 21, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »

I get disappointed when accusations of xenophobia start flying around because it's really a logistical issue which deserves serious attention. This week we saw on the telly news how many folk simply cannot get a doctor's appointment and I must say that I've been trying to access a GP for 2 weeks myself only to be told there aren't any appointments. We know there's an aging population issue, we know there aren't enough hospital beds, there's a very real housing crisis, lots of my friends can't get preferred school places. On top of that I find driving anywhere ridiculous, always total gridlock on the M25 & M6. The list is endless and it's a problem we need to deal with or quality of life will diminish rapidly.

So under this freedom of movement system how many new schools and hospitals have been built? How many new roads and railway lines? How many more GP's have been recruited? I'm well aware that migration is a positive for our country's GP...so how much has been spent on social infrastructure? What's more let's say we stay in the EU and the organisation allow Turkey to join or another country. Let's say a million more economic migrants arrive in the space of a year. Are we able to cope? What are the plans to accommodate? It's all very well just bleating xenophobia. But what is the concrete plan that mitigates the risk of such freedom? Sure thing exiting the EU will dink our economy by a few % but what's the wider picture in terms of quality of life when control is within our own hands? Why is having control of our own borders such a bad idea? I'm sure it's a genuine and valid concern for a lot of ordinary folk who still enjoy our multicultural society.

I agree with this for the most part and it's one of the major reasons why I voted leave  even though you end up being  aligned with a decent number of outright xenophobes. TBF though, the problems and solutions are quite complicated, and medium to long term. Certainly more complicated than just reducing the demand side of the equation  Nothing in the last few years makes me believe we are likely to find good solutions any time soon.

sola virtus nobilitat
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16248 on: January 21, 2019, 08:47:39 PM »

Should Brits,who retire to Spain only be allowed to stay if they learn Spanish?

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16249 on: January 21, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »

Should be up to Spain.
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16250 on: January 21, 2019, 09:24:49 PM »

Should Britain ban Brits from emigrating?

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16251 on: January 21, 2019, 09:31:42 PM »

Should Britain ban Brits from emigrating?

Good luck with that  Cheesy
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16252 on: January 21, 2019, 09:55:16 PM »

Whatever happens they can keep Blakey!!

dakky

View Profile
« Reply #16253 on: January 21, 2019, 11:15:29 PM »

I get disappointed when accusations of xenophobia start flying around because it's really a logistical issue which deserves serious attention. This week we saw on the telly news how many folk simply cannot get a doctor's appointment and I must say that I've been trying to access a GP for 2 weeks myself only to be told there aren't any appointments. We know there's an aging population issue, we know there aren't enough hospital beds, there's a very real housing crisis, lots of my friends can't get preferred school places. On top of that I find driving anywhere ridiculous, always total gridlock on the M25 & M6. The list is endless and it's a problem we need to deal with or quality of life will diminish rapidly.

So under this freedom of movement system how many new schools and hospitals have been built? How many new roads and railway lines? How many more GP's have been recruited? I'm well aware that migration is a positive for our country's GP...so how much has been spent on social infrastructure? What's more let's say we stay in the EU and the organisation allow Turkey to join or another country. Let's say a million more economic migrants arrive in the space of a year. Are we able to cope? What are the plans to accommodate? It's all very well just bleating xenophobia. But what is the concrete plan that mitigates the risk of such freedom? Sure thing exiting the EU will dink our economy by a few % but what's the wider picture in terms of quality of life when control is within our own hands? Why is having control of our own borders such a bad idea? I'm sure it's a genuine and valid concern for a lot of ordinary folk who still enjoy our multicultural society.

Migrants have been net contributors to the public purse.

Blame the government for not investing enough into public services and infrastructure.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16254 on: January 22, 2019, 12:34:14 AM »

Blame the government for not investing enough into public services and infrastructure.

Allow the ones in that will pay a lot of tax, flick off the min wage ones that pay little or no tax (unless we need them....aka selective immigration). Job done and they are even bigger contributors as a group.....win win.

From the min wage group would also prefer to let in the ones that really need a leg up in life rather than other Euros that are by and large fine but looking to make an extra few quid. Europe is not poor in the whole scheme of things, so if we need min wage people we should take them first from the poorest countries that will make a big difference to their lives.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:43:39 AM by Woodsey » Logged
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16255 on: January 22, 2019, 01:09:42 AM »

I think the issue here is how to plan to spend enough, fast enough, to cope with significant changes in very short periods. Major infrastructure projects just don't get delivered in short timescales. Setting aside the actual ability or proclivity of different shades of Government to do what is necessary to maintain/improve service standards, in a vaccuum, you would expect it to be much easier if you could carefully plan your population growth rather than trying to match services to the number.

Having said that, this was more of a factor before enlargement when numbers coming far exceeded any forecasts. If we stayed in the EU then forecasting ongoing immigration levels now should be easier in the light of experience and so there's a good chance that we are closing the stable door after the horse has bolted blah.

The best solution is probably leaving the EU and 5 years of John McDonnell as chancellor

sola virtus nobilitat
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #16256 on: January 22, 2019, 07:07:36 AM »

I think the issue here is how to plan to spend enough, fast enough, to cope with significant changes in very short periods. Major infrastructure projects just don't get delivered in short timescales. Setting aside the actual ability or proclivity of different shades of Government to do what is necessary to maintain/improve service standards, in a vaccuum, you would expect it to be much easier if you could carefully plan your population growth rather than trying to match services to the number.

Having said that, this was more of a factor before enlargement when numbers coming far exceeded any forecasts. If we stayed in the EU then forecasting ongoing immigration levels now should be easier in the light of experience and so there's a good chance that we are closing the stable door after the horse has bolted blah.

The best solution is probably leaving the EU and 5 years of John McDonnell as chancellor

But 5 years of John McDonnell as chancellor means 5 years of a Jeremy Corbyn led government. Not sure that can be part of anyone’s best solution.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16257 on: January 22, 2019, 07:25:58 AM »

And the irony award goes to Diane Abbott for claiming the BBC made up figures about polls during QT........

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16258 on: January 22, 2019, 08:13:24 AM »

And the irony award goes to Diane Abbott for claiming the BBC made up figures about polls during QT........

Aye she/labour put in a complaint to the BBC about that and general unfair treatment on QT which includes a suggestion of racism. Labour themselves are to blame for putting up such and incompetent idiot into the front line media where she continually gets exposed for what she is......ohhh its racism.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16259 on: January 22, 2019, 03:27:04 PM »

From GOV. UK

What you can expect to get as an Asylum Seeker. Not a bad deal eh....Not really surprising why so many want this changed. We often don't treat our own people this well.

Asylum support
Contents
Overview
What you'll get
Eligibility
How to claim
Further information
What you'll get
You can ask for somewhere to live, a cash allowance or both as an asylum seeker.

Housing
You’ll be given somewhere to live if you need it. This could be in a flat, house, hostel or bed and breakfast.

You can’t choose where you live. It’s unlikely you’ll get to live in London or south-east England.

Cash support
You’ll get £37.75 for each person in your household. This will help you pay for things you need like food, clothing and toiletries.

Your allowance will be loaded onto a debit card (ASPEN card) each week. You’ll be able to use the card to get cash from a cash machine.

If you’ve been refused asylum
You’ll be given:

somewhere to live
£35.39 per person on a payment card for food, clothing and toiletries
You won’t be given:

the payment card if you don’t take the offer of somewhere to live
any money
Extra money for mothers and young children
You’ll get extra money to buy healthy food if you’re pregnant or a mother of a child under 3. The amount you get will depend on your situation.

Your situation   Extra payment per week
Pregnant mother   £3
Baby under 1 year old   £5
Child aged 1 to 3   £3
Maternity payment
You can apply for a one-off £300 maternity payment if your baby is due in 8 weeks or less, or if your baby is under 6 weeks old.

If you’ve been refused asylum
You can apply for a one-off £250 maternity payment if your baby is due in 8 weeks or less or if your baby is under 6 weeks old.

Applying for the maternity grant
You apply for the maternity grant in the same way whether you’re still an asylum seeker or you’ve been refused asylum.

You’ll need to request form MAT B1 from your doctor to apply for the payment. You can apply for the maternity payment at the same time you apply for asylum support.

If you get pregnant after you’ve applied for asylum support, you can apply to the support team that dealt with your application for asylum support.

Healthcare
You may get free National Health Service (NHS) healthcare, such as to see a doctor or get hospital treatment.

You’ll also get:

free prescriptions for medicine
free dental care for your teeth
free eyesight tests
help paying for glasses
Education
Your children must attend school if they are aged 5 to 17. All state schools are free and your children may be able to get free school meals.

Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 1082 1083 [1084] 1085 1086 1087 1088 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: