blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 11:15:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 1121 1122 [1123] 1124 1125 1126 1127 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2229136 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16830 on: March 17, 2019, 08:11:53 PM »

Marina Hyde sneaked this out during Cheltenham

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/13/theresa-may-deal-europe-eu-mps

So many gems

The story of Brexit since the referendum has in large part been the story of politicians finding out in real time what the thing they had already done actually meant, then deferring the admission or even acceptance of it. We hear a lot about low-information voters, but low-information politicians are the bigger problem. Even this week, Tory Brexiteers Esther McVey and Daniel Kawczynski were spreading arrant lies about enforced joining of the euro. It is traditional at these moments to ask if the politicians in question are stupid or liars; in the case of Esther and Daniel, the question is moot as they are both.

Or perhaps you prefer Boris Johnson, who stood up to urge to parliament to “behave as a great country”. Says the guy who’s been behaving like a complete country since prep school. According to that guy, no deal is “the only safe path to self–respect”. Boris Johnson showing you the only safe path to self-respect is like Paul Burrell showing you the only safe path to dignity, or Hannibal Lecter showing you the only safe path home.

On the other side of the house, meanwhile, sat Jeremy Corbyn, who famously wanted to trigger article 50 before anyone else, on the very day after the referendum. Yet on Tuesday he was wittering at the prime minister: “The clock has been run out on her!” Corbyn now seems to be back to pushing his phantom Brexit deal, as opposed to the second referendum he briefly suggested was Labour policy. I know rebelling against the leadership is Corbyn’s comfort zone, but it does make you look a historic tit when you are the leadership.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #16831 on: March 20, 2019, 03:54:39 PM »

Reports that Macron will veto any extension that doesn't include a general election or referendum.

Every day it's like soap opera writers think "ok, how can we top yesterday's ridiculous plot cliffhanger?"
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16832 on: March 20, 2019, 04:04:20 PM »

Reports that Macron will veto any extension that doesn't include a general election or referendum.

Every day it's like soap opera writers think "ok, how can we top yesterday's ridiculous plot cliffhanger?"

Good on him. I mean he's an absolute idiot of course but I don't mind if he drives us to no deal or revoke by next Friday.. Either works for me. For us to capitulate to that as a condition would genuinely outrage me though.. At least for an hour or two anyway

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #16833 on: March 20, 2019, 04:05:48 PM »

It has long since descended into farce, literally.

Yesterday we had Donald Triump Jr claiming Brexit was dead.   That is the Donald Turmp Jr whose father lost an election by 3 million votes, and is only in his position through nepotism.  Maybe Brexit only stopped the resurrection?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #16834 on: March 20, 2019, 05:48:55 PM »

We need to take a long term view of this.........

The UK to apply to rejoin the EU by 2027
5/6

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #16835 on: March 20, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »

Good on him. I mean he's an absolute idiot of course but I don't mind if he drives us to no deal or revoke by next Friday.. Either works for me. For us to capitulate to that as a condition would genuinely outrage me though.. At least for an hour or two anyway

How? Aren't they the two ends of the scale - the complete opposites of each other?

I'm not clear either why he's "an absolute idiot of course".
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16836 on: March 20, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »

We need to take a long term view of this.........

The UK to apply to rejoin the EU by 2027
5/6

It's only 6/4 we'll be out by then.

The older I get, the better I was.
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #16837 on: March 20, 2019, 05:57:28 PM »

Market refers to third Meaningful Vote held by the House of Commons to approve the government's EU withdrawal agreement, referred to as the "deal". If a third Meaningful Vote does not take place before 30th March 2019 this market will be voided.

Deal Not To Pass
8/11

Deal To Pass
1/1

Even money ?....huge pressure to get this passed now. Labour MP's looking to put in amendment so some (enough?) can now vote for it,,
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16838 on: March 20, 2019, 06:58:37 PM »

How? Aren't they the two ends of the scale - the complete opposites of each other?

I'm not clear either why he's "an absolute idiot of course".

Yep. Bit personal. Just reminds me of so much of the administrative and managerial class in France and so don't much like the cut of his jib.

As regards revoke or no deal. I'd like to see this over and I'm genuinely not bothered how as long as it's not based on a second referendum

sola virtus nobilitat
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #16839 on: March 20, 2019, 08:04:41 PM »

Corbyn walks out of May's meeting because Chukka Unama is there.  What a utter tosser.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16840 on: March 20, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »

Corbyn walks out of May's meeting because Chukka Unama is there.  What a utter tosser.

Yep, if it’s happened as reported then it’s a truly ridiculous thing to do.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16841 on: March 20, 2019, 08:27:48 PM »

I still think that the Labour party is gonna eventually come out of this worse than the Tories (unbelievably almost).

The Tory brexit camp that are happy to leave with no deal have, I think, some level of integrity in their position - I don't necessarily agree with it but I understand it.

The Labour position seems all over the place to me - it's easy to respect anyone who argues strongly to revoke A50. Watering things down to the point of there being no point or vaguely arguing for 2nd refs and things on tables doesn't resonate with me at all.

sola virtus nobilitat
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #16842 on: March 20, 2019, 09:00:54 PM »

If you have a hero at least spell their name right unless Jezza is your hero?  Cheesy
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16843 on: March 20, 2019, 10:08:06 PM »

And still, I suspect, there are people here who would rather see him as PM.........

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16844 on: March 20, 2019, 10:14:45 PM »

Was at a meeting today of UK industry construction chiefs, and it seems that it has only just dawned on them that operating under WTO terms means duty increases on goods to 40%.

The place was in a blind panic.

It was pointed out that concluding terms with individual countries needs to be got on with rather than bury heads in sand.

What I learnt was we seem so preoccupied at a high level with the actual IN or OUT that very little has actually been done about the nitty gritty.

One guy who was appointed on a very high salary, by a mega Corporate, to keep on top of this has only had two meetings with Parliament in 2 years, because they kept putting them off. This is a construction giant.

Incred.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Pages: 1 ... 1119 1120 1121 1122 [1123] 1124 1125 1126 1127 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: