blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1402 1403 1404 1405 [1406] 1407 1408 1409 1410 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180708 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21075 on: September 25, 2019, 10:35:59 PM »

This after Johnson specifically said tonight he would not extend, thus breaking the Benn Law

"My hunch is if Johnson does not extend,
* may now get Clarke/Beckett caretaker government
* takes office on/around Wed 23rd October
* extends Article 50 *for 12 months*  to Oct 31st 2020
* calls Dec 5th 2019/ maybe Feb 2020 election.
* Holds one last vote on WA deal in mid-Nov?"

From katwala

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #21076 on: September 25, 2019, 10:42:36 PM »

boris using language like traitor is merely reflecting a groundswell of public opinion.

unfortunately i think we are going to be in a situation where the remain establishment has won, not by going to the people, but by avoiding the people and ignoring their votes.

at this point i wouldn't blame people for letting loose on the streets and agitating the fuck out of the situation. it's an awful beast they are about to be releasing as i think any violence that comes from leave will be much worse than if remain had to agitate to get their voice heard.

politics has completely failed, and it's time for people to let their feelings known.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #21077 on: September 25, 2019, 10:55:49 PM »

boris using language like traitor is merely reflecting a groundswell of public opinion.

unfortunately i think we are going to be in a situation where the remain establishment has won, not by going to the people, but by avoiding the people and ignoring their votes.

at this point i wouldn't blame people for letting loose on the streets and agitating the fuck out of the situation. it's an awful beast they are about to be releasing as i think any violence that comes from leave will be much worse than if remain had to agitate to get their voice heard.

politics has completely failed, and it's time for people to let their feelings known.

Really?

Not leaving the EU would justify people 'letting loose on the streets' ?

Really? in a thread that is full of contenders, that is one of the more awful things to think, let alone post.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #21078 on: September 25, 2019, 11:08:47 PM »

I think people underestimate how disenfranchised people are feeling.

Sometimes the only recourse is to get out there. And in people's faces.

If it's right or wrong it's the end game of the route the  politicians have decided to go down

What's the alternative at this point? All political avenues have been expertly blocked by the establishment.

If people feel strongly the streets are the only game in town

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21079 on: September 25, 2019, 11:15:52 PM »

No political avenues being unsuccessful was self inflicted.

Hard red Lines, no building consensus, a premature invoking of A50 without a plan, terrible May election campaign meant loss of majority and with it the DUP hard-line view became part of policy

Many remain MPs such as Ken Clarke voted for the WA to get out 3 times. Labour unfortunately didn't, playing politics not national interest so that is a point backing up your view

However To say the establishment has blocked us is simplistic and wrong.

It's self inflicted by the government and their terrible tactics.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:17:54 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #21080 on: September 25, 2019, 11:31:11 PM »

all of that was implemented by politicians.

they have decided to go down the route of delaying and blocking brexit.

i am no fan of either party, and i dont think many will delineate between the two and see the whole mess as the fix being in and nothing more.

i think grenfell was the closest we have gotten to wide spread violence in response to politicians [a couple of people i know who are aggy where all for mobilising then down to london to 'over throw the fuckers' and i think it was merely that the tipping point of agitators wasnt reached that summer ] i get the sense that the tempreture is running just as hot right now.

i get that the policitcal class by and large have completely different wishes to the majority of the public, but to ask for their opinion and then ignore it anyway is the worst of outcomes.

there's no way that politics can get anything done now. it's elections or blood i fear.

they simply have to go back and face their constituents in a general election.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21081 on: September 26, 2019, 12:22:48 AM »

They will, after 31 oct and the threat of no deal currently preventing opposition from pressing the button has passed.

A majority then gets Brexit done.

I fear another hung parliament though. At that point if its a tory coalition there will need to be compromise on all sides, which looks further away than ever

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #21082 on: September 26, 2019, 07:15:32 AM »

Genuinely quite shocked by Boris Johnson describing as 'humbug' Paula Sheriff's complaint about his language in which she talked about Jo Cox and said that she and other colleagues had received death threats.

Dangerous times.

Snowflake

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #21083 on: September 26, 2019, 07:53:37 AM »

Absolutely incredible viewing

He actually went there.

Boris Johnson: “The best way to honour the memory of Jo Cox and indeed the best way to bring this country together would be, I think, to get Brexit done.”

Jo Cox was murdered by a man who shouted "BRITAIN FIRST" and targeted her for supporting remaining in the EU.

The murderer gave his name in court as "Death to Traitors, Freedom for Britain"

Oh come on Tighty, this man had mental issues he wasn't a Brexiteer ffs.

Starting to sound like Aaron.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:10:23 AM by BigAdz » Logged

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #21084 on: September 26, 2019, 08:46:10 AM »

He actually went there.

Boris Johnson: “The best way to honour the memory of Jo Cox and indeed the best way to bring this country together would be, I think, to get Brexit done.”

Jo Cox was murdered by a man who shouted "BRITAIN FIRST" and targeted her for supporting remaining in the EU.

Not sure why the mental issues mean he wasn't a Brexiteer.

Talking of mental illness

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7504885/RICHARD-PENDLEBURY-tracked-British-jihadi-bride-Shamima-Begum-new-Syrian-camp.html

I know it is the daily mail, but this is more balanced than usual.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #21085 on: September 26, 2019, 08:57:58 AM »

He actually went there.

Not sure why the mental issues mean he wasn't a Brexiteer.

Talking of mental illness

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7504885/RICHARD-PENDLEBURY-tracked-British-jihadi-bride-Shamima-Begum-new-Syrian-camp.html

I know it is the daily mail, but this is more balanced than usual.

Really?

You know exactly what I mean, or are you suggesting every Brexiteer has mental issues, as that appears to be the line you are following, if you don't understand my point?

Still zero sympathy for her. She made a very large bed and she has plenty of time to spend in it.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21086 on: September 26, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »

Mr Bercow currently telling the assembled House that they are all very naughty boys and girls.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21087 on: September 26, 2019, 10:46:29 AM »

He actually went there.

he was an extreme Brexiteer. I am not implying that his actions translate through to anyone else at all but it is a matter of fact that he killed her as she was pro-remain, and he viewed her as a traitor

i refer you to this for the general point

"Brexit 'major influence' in racism and hate crime rise"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48692863

I am also not defending poor behaviour on the other side.

Every time someone says a generic brexit voter is an idiot, xenophobe, racist or bigot or whatever it potentially radicalises the less intelligent or the suggestible

For example this is a note Jess Phillips received at the HoP lat week. We know that the incidence of death threats to elected representatives has risen a lot and why last night in the House and the tome of the language used by the PM was such a shock to many

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21088 on: September 26, 2019, 10:49:00 AM »

Genuinely quite shocked by Boris Johnson describing as 'humbug' Paula Sheriff's complaint about his language in which she talked about Jo Cox and said that she and other colleagues had received death threats.

Dangerous times.

Snowflake

Please refer to the conversation Glenn and I had subsequently

Its not funny, and the trolling you consistently indulge in is not welcome

When we met a way back you were the epitome of mild mannered, polite, professional and had a gentle tone

Come on here and you delight in winding people up. Please rein it back.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21089 on: September 26, 2019, 10:50:01 AM »

Tory MP Jeremy Lefroy's criticism of Boris' use of language.

"With freedom of speech comes responsibility, and sometimes that responsibility means not saying what one might like to say - words like surrender, betrayal, treason."

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 1402 1403 1404 1405 [1406] 1407 1408 1409 1410 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: