blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:16:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272600 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1406 1407 1408 1409 [1410] 1411 1412 1413 1414 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197323 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21135 on: September 28, 2019, 08:36:58 AM »

Johnson at the UN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qkLXExBU5Q

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21136 on: September 28, 2019, 08:39:07 AM »

Stoke focus group article, as Johnson's "do or die" Breixt strategy seems to be formed from such groups

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/stoke-focus-group-offers-hint-that-boris-johnsons-brexit-strategy-is-working-6sx652qgg

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21137 on: September 28, 2019, 08:40:32 AM »

From Robbie Gibb's article in the Mail

My eyes are open wide
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #21138 on: September 28, 2019, 08:47:30 AM »

“if you don’t let us crash out the people will start smashing the fuck out of stuff in the streets” is ministerial but stating facts like “if we leave the biggest single market in the world GDP will go down” is project fear

I just don't get this. I am as passionate about Leaving, as you are about Remaining, and my mates always joke about how I post on here, FB etc, showing for more interest than anyone I know. Yet will I go onto the streets and riot? Will you?

Of course not. It's a load of bull and doesn't deserve the time you give it.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21139 on: September 28, 2019, 08:52:46 AM »

A government minister specifically mentioned riots

It is Leavers (some, politicians) talking up the risk, not me

Johnson himself and his team have said, and I paraphrase....vote how we want or else there will be riots

here's two of many examples of the rhetoric this week

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10015632/boris-johnson-brexit-britain-faces-la-riots/

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1183347/brexit-news-boris-johnson-eu-deal-referendum-britain-riots-surrender-bill-dominic-cummings

Its irresponsible i think as it normalises it in the consciousness, but its certainly newsworthy

I certainly think if the referendum result ultimately is not respected the far right (a small subset of the leave vote) are more likely to riot than remainers if we leave with no deal, for example, no?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:54:36 AM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #21140 on: September 28, 2019, 09:01:28 AM »

Breaking

The Greater London Authority has referred Prime Minister Boris Johnson to the Independent Office for Police Conduct for  a possible investigation into whether he committed misconduct in a public office in connection to his friendship with American businesswoman Jennifer Arcuri.

Have you looked her up, she comes across like him; all bullshit, no sustance.

Here are her companies

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/3BeQkJuV6DnuXTZfRDaXFMqaI1Y/appointments

Analyse the comany's accounts.

Here she talks about what playbox does.    Given that the company didn't seem to spend any money, and was shut down rapidlly, then it is probably safe to assume it was just hot air.

Innotech seemed to fair better  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrnAvaaWwyQ9iksLPM_0ZuQ.  But wtf was Boris doing rocking up to so many of her presentations?

But look at the balance sheet in the 2018 accounts

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08424712/filing-history

Note they had to restate their accounts in 2017.  Seems they owed £360,000 at the time and not £180,000.   

finally Hacker House

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09678695/filing-history

Look at what happened between 2017 and 2018.  That is some related party transaction in the 2018 accounts.  What do you make of that?  Lending a barely functioning company £700k seems an odd thig to do?       

Nothing to see here. 

I have corrected that youtube link

I found this one last night, but didn't post it, but I think it is worth posting now given that thread tighty sent

It is painful viewing, but she pretty much admits to not knowing anything when she set up the innotech summit first time, uses (unpaid?) interns and how she created noise around it.  Johnson showed up at that first summit in 2012, with Milo Yiannopoulos (as is standard at a tech summit?)  She also discusses her google hangouts with Boris Johnson and how she used Boris Cat (really).

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21141 on: September 28, 2019, 09:21:54 AM »

I don't like Farage or agree with his politics, but I have to say that he's very charismatic and a fantastic orator.  

In those respects, he reminds me of Enoch Powell & Tony Benn. Both of them were fascinating to listen to or watch on TV, & certainly in the case of Powell, a wonderful orator.

I violently disagreed with the views of all 3. Still enjoyed listening to them though.

Farage, of course, is a full-blown fraud imo.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #21142 on: September 28, 2019, 10:10:21 AM »

Philip Hammond in The Times.

Click to see full-size image.

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #21143 on: September 28, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »

I don't like Farage or agree with his politics, but I have to say that he's very charismatic and a fantastic orator.  

In those respects, he reminds me of Enoch Powell & Tony Benn. Both of them were fascinating to listen to or watch on TV, & certainly in the case of Powell, a wonderful orator.

I violently disagreed with the views of all 3. Still enjoyed listening to them though.

enoch is worth reading up on for anyone who just think he's merely a daft racist caricature of an old english establishment figure

he was a brilliant man and mind.

he idolised neitchze and wished to beat his idol's record of having become a professor aged 24..enoch failed only becoming a cambridge professor at the grand old age of 25.  having achieved becoming a professor he then set out to become the viceroy of india, learning urdu so as to give himself the best chance, but war intervened. he lied to the army, claiming to be australian so he could enlist rather than being called up, and by the end of the war he went from being the youngest professor to the youngest ever brigadier. during his rise he taught himself portugese so he coul dread one of his favorite poets in his native tounge, translated russian military documents, and produced whole reports on strategy often in his spare time. he ended the war with the firm belief that should there be another war he would be head of military strategy - he was 33 at this time.

check his wiki page, his achievements are monumental.

yet he is a by word for unthoughtful racist knuckle dragging.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21144 on: September 28, 2019, 10:31:36 AM »

enoch is worth reading up on for anyone who just think he's merely a daft racist caricature of an old english establishment figure

he idolised neitchze and wished to beat his idol's record of having become a professor aged 24..enoch failed only becoming a cambridge professor at the grand old age of 25.  having achieved becoming a professor he then set out to become the viceroy of india, learning urdu so as to give himself the best chance, but war intervened. he lied to the army, claiming to be australian so he could enlist rather than being called up, and by the end of the war he went from being the youngest professor to the youngest ever brigadier. during his rise he taught himself portugese so he coul dread one of his favorite poets in his native tounge, translated russian military documents, and produced whole reports on strategy often in his spare time. he ended the war with the firm belief that should there be another war he would be head of military strategy - he was 33 at this time.

Thank you.

Think I'll have to go get a bio of him.

My knowledge of him was limited to his wonderful oratory, & his "rivers of blood" speech, though it was clear from listening to him he was super bright.

Here's his Wiki page if anyone is interested;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_Powell

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21145 on: September 28, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »

Thank you.

Think I'll have to go get a bio of him.

My knowledge of him was limited to his wonderful oratory, & his "rivers of blood" speech, though it was clear from listening to him he was super bright.

Here's his Wiki page if anyone is interested;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_Powell

I'm not judging Powell one way or the other here, but most of the world's most notorious men had brilliant minds.

The former is always going to overshadow the latter, as it should.

The older I get, the better I was.
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #21146 on: September 28, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »

Philip Hammond in The Times.

Click to see full-size image.

That would be fine for our companies that want to export
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21147 on: September 28, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »

we are a net importer from the UK (for example The EU, taken as a whole is the UK's largest trading partner. In 2018, UK exports to the EU were £289 billion (46% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £345 billion (54% of all UK imports)).. net negative for our economy for sterling to crash

Still no sign that they need us more than we need them as postulated in 2015,2016,2017,2018 and 2019 by leavers, erroneously.

Much lower standard of living for people if inflation soars (wage growth will lag, so wages don't go as far, this in turn affects domestic sales etc)

Can't really spin no deal as a positive economically I am afraid. One of the reasons why most people* are so desperate to avoid it

* unless they are disaster capitalists, or very keen to leave before new EU taxation laws in January hurt them personally

My eyes are open wide
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #21148 on: September 28, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »

That would be fine for our companies that want to export

That’s alright then, trebles all round.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21149 on: September 28, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »

we are a net importer from the UK (for example The EU, taken as a whole is the UK's largest trading partner. In 2018, UK exports to the EU were £289 billion (46% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £345 billion (54% of all UK imports)).. net negative for our economy for sterling to crash

Still no sign that they need us more than we need them as postulated in 2015,2016,2017,2018 and 2019 by leavers, erroneously.

Much lower standard of living for people if inflation soars (wage growth will lag, so wages don't go as far, this in turn affects domestic sales etc)

Can't really spin no deal as a positive economically I am afraid. One of the reasons why most people* are so desperate to avoid it

* unless they are disaster capitalists, or very keen to leave before new EU taxation laws in January hurt them personally

Measured over a longer period, forgetting desirability as this is ephemeral (e.g German Cars, German White goods), importing less generally and from the EU in particular (things are cheaper from ROW versus EU) and exporting more to both the EU and ROW can easily be argued as a positive thing for Britain.

All the economic arguments tend to be very short term and I still find the conspiracy notions around disaster capitalism etc pretty absurd. Any tinfoil about ?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:46:54 PM by nirvana » Logged

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 1406 1407 1408 1409 [1410] 1411 1412 1413 1414 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: